Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Default Hikes With A View In The Wolfeboro Area?

Hi all,

I'm heading up to Wolfeboro today with my girlfriend (she's never been there) and we were thinking of doing a hike tomorrow. Ideally, I'd like it to be one I haven't done either.

I've done Mt. Major several times (not the best weather for the view anyway), Rattlesnake in Holderness, Abenaki Tower (not really a hike but…), and a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a good hike (1-2 hours total) in the Wolfeboro area with a view of the lake?

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
phoenix

Many hikes in castle in clouds of different lengths
jkjoshuatree (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
DickR

If you want something with a view of Lake Winnipesaukee, your options are pretty much limited to the Belknaps to the southwest, the Ossipees to the east, and the Squam range to the north. You've done Major in the Belknaps, but there are other climbs over that way that aren't as arduous as, say, a 4000 footer up in the White Mountains. Mt. Belknap comes to mind, as it has a fire tower on top with a great view in all directions. One trail up is from the Gunstock parking area. You can do a search on details of trail length, etc. Several weeks ago I was with a group that went down the range from Gunstock to Major, but that's almost 11 miles. Mt. Belknap seems like a good recommendation for a single peak over that way.

In the Ossipees, there is Mt Shaw, with a good view to the north and east, and just before the top there is a side trail to the top of what's called Black Snout (there is at least one other "Black Snout" elsewhere in the mountains), with good views south and west overlooking the lake. The trail from Rte 171, near Sodom Rd, is 3.6 miles up to the top of Shaw, although the last 1.1 mile is very easy going, something you could ride a bike up. Just to the north, starting from the parking area below the Castle in the Clouds at the end of Ossipee Park Rd, is a trail up Mt. Roberts, with views along the way and from the top.

In the Squam range, you of course have West Rattlesnake, an easy walk as you know. But you also have Morgan, Percival, and others, which peak out around 2000 ft, more or less, and are good hikes.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Dave M

You may want to try Red Hill. May be able to go up the fire tower. Nice views.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Hikes with a view in the Wolfeboro area

Maybe, if your girlfriend is somewhat inexperienced in climbing/hiking, and you are moire experienced, it might be a nice idea to pick something like Mt Major which is not difficult, but does give good views. You would be much more experienced and able to offer some real assistance if the need arose, otherwise, just enjoy the climb.

If this type of outdoor activity appeals to her, then you can step up your game to something more challenging.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
CateP

Default Bald Knob

Bald Knob--Trail head is at the town line of Moultonboro on Rt 109a. Short, steep hike with incredible view. You can also access Bald Knob from Castle in the Clouds along a ridge carriage trail. Longer hike, but easier. Impress her with a lunch at the Carriage House.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Heaven

I'd second Red Hill in Moultonboro and you get the fire tower at the top (although it is held up with 3 guy-wires and a prayer : ).
Or from the Castle bottling plant parking area, Mount Roberts which has several overlooks the first of which is really fine for a not-to-long hike. Some say that you can see Mt Washington from the top but it's always been cloudy for me.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
phoenix

many of the hikes mentioned here can be accessed from the castle in clouds parking area. Near the little fish pond there is a map of all the hikes. there is also a hike somewhat flat of old cellar holes from 200 years ago. Unfortunately Zeus the largest horse in the world( allegedly ) died this winter as he was a specimen to see
The Eagle (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Check out Copple Crown. Follow 109 out of Wolfeboro and out past Lake Wentworth....follow link for more directions
http://www.brookfieldnh.org/Pages/Br...own%20Hike.pdf

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default Thank You All!!

We decided to park in the Castle in the Clouds lot and ended up doing the Bald Knob trail.

Great stuff!!!

Thank you!!!