Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Just Sold

Question Was it a Quiet Memorial Day Weekend?

I felt that the Memorial Day weekend was pretty quiet. I know the rain surely kept things quiet but I think it was much more so than in recent years.
I saw very few boats when I was out for a short 2 hours on Saturday and my wife and I were out for about 5 hours on Sunday. On Sunday in Alton Bay there were plenty of open docks at the town docks and that supprised me. Our Sunday cruising was from Gilford to Winter Harbor and to Alton Bay we encountered a few but not a lot of boats. The most we saw was around 3:30PM Sunday heading back to Gilford from Alton Bay.

What are your thoughts/observations.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
polarisman14

The crappy weather really keeps a lot of people away. We were out Sunday morning through afternoon and it was totally dead from 10 to noon. Besides night time I'd never seen it that calm, never mind on a holiday weekend. We were one of 5 or 6 boats we could see in any direction for a while. Once it cleared up, within an hour it was very busy near Governor's Island and over toward Weirs, and we had to wait at Meredith Bay for a few minutes to find parking. It was nice, but I'm sure plenty of businesses were disappointed.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
GTO

Default Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
The crappy weather really keeps a lot of people away. We were out Sunday morning through afternoon and it was totally dead from 10 to noon. Besides night time I'd never seen it that calm, never mind on a holiday weekend. We were one of 5 or 6 boats we could see in any direction for a while. Once it cleared up, within an hour it was very busy near Governor's Island and over toward Weirs, and we had to wait at Meredith Bay for a few minutes to find parking. It was nice, but I'm sure plenty of businesses were disappointed.
Must of been busy for people trying to get their boats in the water. Meredith Marina and Heaths Hardware sold out of boat registration stickers. I heard other marinas ran out too.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Very Quiet

I almost thought it was a middle of the week on the lake.

No problem docking at the public docks.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Phantom

I loved it -- didn't stop us from putting 12.6 (but who's keeping track) engine hours on our new 26' Crownline !!

gillygirl (05-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Happy Gourmand

There seemed to be plenty of boat traffic in the Meredith Bay/Weirs/Governor's Island washing machine area. Outside of that did seem much calmer though.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Misha888

Default Smith Cove

Plenty of boat traffic coming in and out of Fay's all weekend and their yard was full with no apparent parking.

At any time we were seeing 5-6 boats towards the broads.

Last edited by Misha888; 05-27-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: grammatical
Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Closetzguy

Default spoiled?

I picked up my first boat on Saturday and thought it would be a lot busier this weekend! Got about 3 hours in between Sat and Sun and felt alone out there! I'm sure it will be a different story in a few weeks!

Heads up….new boater in 20 mile bay!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
MeredithMan

Default Definitely Quiet....

....pretty much all of the motels from Meredith to Weirs to Laconia all had the "vacancy" sign out. Zero traffic heading back to CT mid day on Monday. Maybe the forecast kept everyone away...??

Good thing the crowds were sparse, because the ladies directing traffic in Meredith still managed to back everyone up from Hannaford on one end to Harts on the other end. I know they have a thankless job, but I really think create more of a bottleneck than they prevent.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Misha888

Being that I live here year round . . . maybe it was slight shell shock for me. This morning was quite quiet and serene.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
jkjoshuatree

Default Wolfeboro Was A Ghost Town

No wait at any restaurants. No problem finding a parking spot anywhere all weekend. No traffic heading to Boston midday on Monday.

Very, very quiet.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
jetlag100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....pretty much all of the motels from Meredith to Weirs to Laconia all had the "vacancy" sign out. Zero traffic heading back to CT mid day on Monday. Maybe the forecast kept everyone away...??

Good thing the crowds were sparse, because the ladies directing traffic in Meredith still managed to back everyone up from Hannaford on one end to Harts on the other end. I know they have a thankless job, but I really think create more of a bottleneck than they prevent.
I totally agree...just because there's people waiting to cross the street, doesn't mean you stop traffic every second, either. Coming down the hill (25) into town I just knew there's was someone directing traffic..
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I think the weather had a lot to do with how quiet the lake was this weekend. And yes it was indeed very quiet. I was in Center Harbor in the afternoon, on Sunday, and didn't have to wait very long to tie up. And could have tied up sooner but I didn't feel like threading my way into a forward spot.

Also I left Monday about 3:30 and drove right through Meredith... with only a minor delay at the light.

The last piece of proof, was that on 93 late afternoon, their was really no traffic back up in Concord. Traffic slowed a bit, but never stopped.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
dpg

Drove by motels this weekend with signs that their booking rooms for bike week. Thought that was always sold out everywhere? Understand it moved by a week this year.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Default In another post

Tourism is way down in NH since 2008. Our neighboring states have recuperate far better. A decade ago, one would need to spend a couple of years on a list to get a slip. Hostelries were booked a year in advance.

Today, all marinas have slips available and vacancy signs are everywhere! Even when there were no expansions/construction in the last decade!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Most business is down since 2008. The economy is just not good except in certain pockets.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

We went out on the lake a few time. Sunday early afternoon was pretty busy in Wolfeboro. I ended up dropping family off at the ADA dock and floated in the bay waiting for them. There were no fewer that 6 boats waiting to tie up.

We just floated local on Monday, but it was definitely quiet. I think a lot of people packed it up based on the conditions Monday AM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
laketrout

Default Slow

It seemed like a slow Memorial day weekend last weekend. It was good for me and my family, easy to get into restaurants and shops not a lot of traffic. Good for me but bad for business I would think.
I do agree 7- 15+ years ago it was tough to get into a Marina, impossible to find rooms in certain towns and the restaurants always seemed crowded even on weekdays and the town docks of Meredith and Wolfeboro even the Naswa always seemed to be packed but not lately no issues getting a spot at a town dock.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Webbsatwinni

I have mentioned it a few times, in my little world, we have friends that would vacation with us on the lake for 2-3 weeks a year and when we bought in 06 they were always there or renting nearby. Post 2008/9 they no longer want to boat here and go elsewhere. They now rent in other areas, spend disposable funds in other areas etc. I too find myself now going with them at times and spending less of my money around the lake.

These aren't people with 90mph boats, they have family boats that do go fast and are a bit loud and they are worried that is they come play, they will get hassled.

There are weather and economical issues that are contributors but there is a link to the restrictions as well. I am not a local business owner so I have no knowledge to comment directly, but its easy to get a table, slip of town dock space anywhere now and that can't be a good indication.

Now we need to regulate fisherman (or women), we saw 3 accidents at slow speed in front of the house last week, alcohol was clearly involved, and it didn't look like they were spending a lot of money at the lake ;-)
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I think the weather had a lot to do with how quiet the lake was this weekend. And yes it was indeed very quiet. I was in Center Harbor in the afternoon, on Sunday, and didn't have to wait very long to tie up. And could have tied up sooner but I didn't feel like threading my way into a forward spot.

Also I left Monday about 3:30 and drove right through Meredith... with only a minor delay at the light.

The last piece of proof, was that on 93 late afternoon, their was really no traffic back up in Concord. Traffic slowed a bit, but never stopped.
Not sure how often you drive 93 (North of Manchester) outside of the peak tourist times, but at 2:30 Monday afternoon the highway was moving at 20 MPH coming into Concord. That IS a backup, considering morning and evening rush hours run at higher than the posted speed limit in this area.

Unfortunately, I forgot that Monday afternoon was a holiday weekend and coming down exit 17 to merge onto the highway, I realized my mistake. 15 minutes later I was able to get off at exit 16 to go about my business. The season has begun!

As an aside, the Sunapee area was pretty busy, as busy as busy is for the Sunapee area!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
Machz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Not sure how often you drive 93 (North of Manchester) outside of the peak tourist times, but at 2:30 Monday afternoon the highway was moving at 20 MPH coming into Concord. That IS a backup, considering morning and evening rush hours run at higher than the posted speed limit in this area.

Unfortunately, I forgot that Monday afternoon was a holiday weekend and coming down exit 17 to merge onto the highway, I realized my mistake. 15 minutes later I was able to get off at exit 16 to go about my business. The season has begun!

As an aside, the Sunapee area was pretty busy, as busy as busy is for the Sunapee area!
Yeah Monday on 93 was busy but I normally just jump off at 18. Squam was quiet all weekend only saw a boat or two at any given time.
Machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #22
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machz View Post
Yeah Monday on 93 was busy but I normally just jump off at 18. Squam was quiet all weekend only saw a boat or two at any given time.
Right, the thing to remember is that Memorial Day is also a big camping holiday and there were many mixed in the traffic I was in. Did not mean to imply that the lakes themselves were busy, but the highway certainly was.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
sum-r breeze

Default Possible Causes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Most business is down since 2008. The economy is just not good except in certain pockets.
Do you think gas price bumping against $4.00 a gallon and the speed limit on the lake chasing all the go fasts away has any long term consequences? The limit means nothing to me... The Breeze tops out at about 40 MPH but it sure cramps some other people's enjoyment.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think the price of gas has a lot to do with the hurting economy. The departure of many go fast boats because of the speed limit has undoubtedly hurt us here some too. I think most of the people that love the lake and live on the lake probably stayed on the lake and got rid of the fast boat or just drive it slower. I think people without roots that rent for a week or two, or people who put their GF boats in for the weekend or rent a slip for the summer probably don't bother to come here and go elsewhere. I really don't think you see as many fast boats on the lake as you used to.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Default Pontoon Boats

I notice GF boat owners switched to GF pontoon boats so that they don't get harassed. Pontoons were the 'darlings' of the go slow crowds as they were very slow boats. Now it is common knowledge pontoons are capable of 3 figures. I have many times had pontoons blew by me when I was at maximum speed. Seems like a good plan until you hit rough water, you will be crazy going that speed!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #26
trfour

Post Mostly

The economic downturns we get directly effect the GF ownership. Dependent on individual financial statuses. some are sold and not replaced, and some buy smaller craft as Broadhopper mentioned. And some folks just keep on truck'in...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
Pine Island Guy

Default saturday v. sunday this past weekend

based on this past weekend, i would have to agree with those that vote that the weather has the biggest impact on lake usage...

saturday with the gray skies and intermittent rain, there was barely a boat to be seen... sunday was a spectacular day and boating took off looking like a typical day in mid-July, lots of boats, great day to be out on the water!

-PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #28
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
based on this past weekend, i would have to agree with those that vote that the weather has the biggest impact on lake usage...

saturday with the gray skies and intermittent rain, there was barely a boat to be seen... sunday was a spectacular day and boating took off looking like a typical day in mid-July, lots of boats, great day to be out on the water!

-PIG
I noticed the same on Paugus. Even the neighbors were quiet until Sunday. Weather is a huge factor, especially in the first weekends of the season.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
znh

Same on The Broads...Saturday was dead...even though it was pretty nice most of the day where we were.

Sunday was like a normal summer Sunday, it wasn't crazy but it was a consistent stream of boats going by.

Did see the Spiderman boat zoom by as well Sunday afternoon
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #30
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
Did see the Spiderman boat zoom by as well Sunday afternoon
Hmmm ...

My new Crownline clearly isn't as sexy looking as the "Spiderman" or you would have seen us as well (trying to catch up)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #31
znh

He is kind of hard to miss.

At the same time he went by we were watching an older guy in a yellow kayak out pretty far in the common boating lanes in The Broads. Pretty risky on his part, sure everyone has the right to the water and all but he should've been closer to shore...and to top it all off he wasn't wearing a life jacket !
znh is offline   Reply With Quote