Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
oliviernh

Default Log Home Kits-building on Island

Was curious if anyone had experience with having a log home kit constructed on an island. We own land on Rattlesnake and have picked out a nice log home kit. We went to the log home show in Manchester, NH and talked to many companies. Every one of them said your kit should be 1/3 to 1/2 of your total costs (i.e. at 50K you should spend no more than 100K in total construction cost). We have gotten 2 quotes and the first was 3x the kit price to construct and the second was 5x the kit price to construct. This makes buying and building a log home kit cost prohibitive! And the house would not have a foundation, it would be on piling or concrete footings (so I thought I'd be at the lower end of the range). I was curious if anyone had any experiences and what they have seen for total construction cost on a log home kit. Also does anyone have name and # for someone who they would recommend (that had experience with log home kits) to build a log home kit.
oliviernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Just Sold

Olivernh,

I have not built on an island but from what I understand the costs to transport building materials and the assoiciated equipment to an island location are a factor. Also the workers have to get there and I would assume it would involve meeting at one location to get on a boat and drive out to the island. Or they have to go to an access point and drive across the ice if you build in the winter. Winter is a tough time to build anywhere.

I would ask the companies who have quoted if the island location increases the actual cost to build.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
LakeLackey

Default JustSold Gave Good Info About Log Cabin On Island

JustSold gave you good info about building on an island. Did you make it clear to the people at the Log Cabin show that you were building on an island when they gave you the 1/3 to 1/2 ratios? If you did, then maybe they were just trying to get a sale. The ratios sound like familiar stats for a "standard" install.....island install is anything but standard....so the figures of up to 5x do not sound ridulous.

I wish you good luck with your cabin. Where you own land on Rattlesnake, it seems that you are already grossly aware that anything done on an island is very involved and expensive. JustSold mentioned some items like workers going by boat, here are some others: workers having to go to work by snowmobile and hoovercraft, barge costs are high but the barges are not charging exhorbitant rates, renting and barging trucks and equipment and extra hours of cost just in shipping and loading and unloading, costs for "supply runs" are exhorbitant, lugging equipment and machines necessary to build something are costly, the state will go after you for the wetlands shoreline protection (hay bales, silt fence, engineering fees, reclamation, etc.) fixup and cleanup and repair upon completion (there will be damage as a result of loading and unloading and driving equipment off barges and onto the property) which will run in the thousands of dollars (wait till you see what a bale of hay costs gross to be installed, this'll make you think a great $50 steak is a bargain), only certain workers and finish subcontractors will even do work on an island so their rates are commensurate with services provided, and more. Again, best of luck with you home.
LakeLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Rob

Default Try Barna Log Homes of New Hampshire

I have been looking into building a home on an island, and it's definately a bit of an adjustment price wise.

Have you spoken with Barna yet?

I don't build log homes, although I am in the construction business, and I have heard very good things about them. Here is a link-

www.nhloghomes.com

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Lin

[QUOTE=oliviernh]Was curious if anyone had experience with having a log home kit constructed on an island. We own land on Rattlesnake and have picked out a nice log home kit. We went to the log home show in Manchester, NH and talked to many companies. Every one of them said your kit should be 1/3 to 1/2 of your total costs QUOTE]

Hi, Although not on an island, we built our residential log home 25 years ago this October. The cost of the kit at that time was $17,000 which included the walls, doors, windows, roof and second floor package. We were responsible for electric, plumbing, septic, interior walls and stairs, foundation, appliances and finished floors W to W carpet upstairs and wide pine flooring down. We were able to be "hired" by our log home contractor to work alongside him to get the shell up. We did most of the carpentry and finish work ourselves. The total cost for a livable 24 X 36 two story log home with 8' X 36' front porch and a 10' x 36' back deck cost us then in 1979 $70,000. We recently ripped up the wall to wall carpeting and laid pergo and tile on the upper floors and are currently replacing the shingles on the roof this month. I know that prices have dramatically increased over the years but for us log home living is our lifestyle and we would do it over again when we retire and move to our land in NH. My uncle used to build conventional houses on the islands of Winni in the 60's and he always said then it was expensive to cart the contents of a home over to the islands. There are so many styles and varieties of log homes and what comes with what package just make sure you check them all out good. One big hint. Make sure you have the proper overhangs on the roof. It will save you a ton of work on keeping your logs in great shape! Best of luck!!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Just Sold

Default New Island Log Home

oliviernh, I noticed a new log home being built on Ganzy Island today. The company sign I saw said it was White Mountain Cedar Log Homes Campton, NH. See: Photo Post, Homes for a photo.
Here is a link to them and I hope they can help you find some answers about the costs to build a log home on an island. www.watervillevalleyregion.com/cedarhomes/
Old 10-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
On The Edge

Default Log home building in progress

Hi oliviernh

My wife and myself are in the process of building my own log home (with help of some good friends) on sleepers Island. I got the package from Katahdin log homes. Their packages use northern white cedar which has many benefits over other wood types. My design (26x34) with a loft and dormer that fit into my budget. Usually Log home companies have reps in the area that are contractors and can build your log home for you. I guess I chose to assembly my log home because of the cost factor. Overall assembling the log home has gone well. Katahdin numbers the logs and gives you plans that show where the logs go. They also supply a building manual. Granted, it has taken every weekend since early june and battling with the elements (winds and rain) also living in a tent to get this far but it will be worth it when it's done. I am still working on my home and will probally be out there on the weekends until the roof is finished. Feel free to stop by.
On The Edge
Attached Images

On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
cabinfever

Default New Log Cabin on Bear Island

There's also a new log cabin going up on Bear Island in Church Cove. Rob Wichland and Chris Kelly from Preferred are building and selling it. Not sure if it sold yet. The log cabin company they used is out of Canada. I had the literature and weblink but can't seem to locate in now (sorry!). I believe Rob used the company for their place on Mink and highly recommended it.
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
codeman671

Default log homes on the islands

If you are still looking for information on log homes on the islands I can answer some questions. I am in the process of building one on Mark Island as is my neighbor. The homes on Bear and Mink by Rob Wichland were from Riverbend Log Homes. I ordered one as well. I would highly recommend them and can set you up with the right person. I have heard some stories of problems with some of the other manufacturers such as Real Log Homes. I have a great excavator, builder, etc and things are progressing smoothly.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
Audiofn

We are not building on a island but we did look extensivly at log homes. After doing all our research we shifted gears and went with Post and Beam. They go up MUCH faster then a log home and have a lot of the same looks as far as large open spaces. Plus for us it also seemed to be a little different from what everyone was up to.

One of the bigest issues we ran into was the financing for the thing!!! Since it is unique construction many people do not want to finance them.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
codeman671

We went with Riverbend out of Canada and have had great luck. Everything has gone together perfectly, no hitches whatsoever. I have talked to many others building similar projects on and around the lake and most have had problems with their kits. Financing was easy for us, insurance was tough. We are just waiting for the ice to go out so we can finish up, probably about a month to completion.

As far as financing, some of the smaller local banks are the best to deal with. We used Merrimack County Savings Bank in Concord, they have been great to deal with. Village Savings Bank is another however I found their rates to be quite a bit higher. With a post and beam you will probably have better luck, they are typically classified closer to conventional framing. Not being on an island will avoid many of the difficulties us island dwellers face.

If there is any further information I can help you with please feel free to ask. Good luck!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
Paugus Bay Resident

For financing, you may want to try some of the companies that do only log homes. We have used American Log Mortgage with very good success in NH. Provided it's not an owner / builder project (which for good reason many won't do), rates are the same as conventional.

PM me and I can give you the name of the originator we work with.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
ChrisStratton

Default related question

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Edge View Post
Hi oliviernh
This is a little 'off topic' but what about 'certificate of occupancy', and other code enforcement aspects of DIY construction? .. and where do you sleep when you're building your home?
ChrisStratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. You may have to provide transportation for the building official. If you hire a builder, he will handle all that. You can live in a tent; I've seen instances where a camper trailer was brought to the island. Many boats have sleeping and sanitary facilities nowadays. Where to live is the easy part. If you're building panelized construction, you can be closed in very quickly, but that's not always a DIY program.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

On the Edge - would love to see what your place looks like now.....13 years later!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

A close friend of mine built a log home and he's had nothing but problems with it. He also built a conventional stick built 4 car garage and used log siding to match the house. It came out much better than the house with no after effects. You can make a conventional stick built frame to look just like the real thing with log siding and wood interior. I would think that on an island that would be more cost effective with better quality control, JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote