Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
nhmtnguy

Default 2-stroke motor restriction

Does anyone know of any 2-stroke motor restrictions that are in the works that would ban 2-strokes from NH lakes and ponds. I thought I read something about the EPA enacting new restrictions in 2006. I was considering buying a new boat that has a 2-stroke, but not if they will be banned in the next 4,6,8 years. Thanks.
nhmtnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
ITD

I thought the restrictions were on new motor sales, not used. Most 2 strokes sold now probably already meet the 2006 carb standards. In any case I think it applies to new motors (ie. in 2006 manufacturers can't sell motors that don't meet the 2006 standards). If this applied to older motors, the junkyards would fill up quickly and the lake would probably lose half the boats that are on it now.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
kchace

There are no restrictions per-se, but starting in 2006 (and getting stricter a few years later) are emissions standards for ALL new outboards. "Old technology" 2 strokes will never pass, so there are new two stroke designs (usually some type of fuel injection) that greatly clean up the two stroke exhaust and allow them to meet the new emissions standards. There are also an increasing number of four stroke options.

There ARE a few places out west (mostly California I think) where two strokes are banned unless they are the new low emission type. I think around here, the older motors will be grandfathered.

Ken

Last edited by kchace; 04-26-2004 at 11:11 AM.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Default two-strokes

Doesn't the City of Laconia get their water right out of the southern end of Paugus Bay right next to the gas pumps at Irwin Marine and didn't Laconia think about trying to ban ban rentals of two-stroke Jetskis. Two-strokes, four-strokes, volatile gas & oil on the surface, evaporation, Mtbe & on & on & on.......the half life of an outboard which is made from aluminum & rubber & fiberglass must be about 25 years or something in the slightly acidic water of Winnipesaukee.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
kchace

The half life of an outboard may be longer than that in the relatively clean fresh water of the Lake. Even in salt water, the layer of corrosion that forms on aluminum tends to protect the metal beneath. If it wasn't for the planned obsolescence by the manufacturers, there would probably be even more older motors around.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
madrasahs

There are some great buys on California 2-stroke outboards, so you may see more "older ones" around Winnipesaukee as local markets buy them up. I don't think that's so bad.

There are many more 2-stroke Jet-Skis around here. Known more accurately as "Thrill-Craft" -- in Hawaii's boating regulations.

I mean, even a cigar smoker knows when a Jet-Ski has gone by. (And Jet-Skis have greater cylinder capacities than the average Winnipesaukee 2-stroke outboard).

Take a look on the water's surface around outdrives. Many leak grease into the water 24/7. Especially those whose props have "seen the bottom" (bent/damaged/replaced).

MtBE is a Federally-mandated additive for urban (congested) areas which is released by all motor exhausts into the air -- and is absorbed even into well water -- not just lake water. MtBE is a waste-product of gasoline refining, and reduces gas mileage. But gasoline containing MtBE is not even sold on Winnipesaukee! (Or Winnipesaukee's near-environs, for that matter).

This kind of pollution (oil and grease) is overstated for Winnipesaukee, anyway -- including MtBE.

(Almost forgot...: "Performance boats" may bring in their own high-octane -- including leaded -- gasoline (even Av-gas) for "top performance").

As one who uses Winnipesaukee water for drinking water (and I'm joined by many others -- particularly islanders) water quality is most compromised by nitrogen, phosphorus, and lawn fertilizers -- anything that "grows algae".

The sheer number of recently-arrived over-sized boat wakes pull nutrients such as phosphorus, nitrogen, (and the soil containing all of that and more) into the lake all season long -- starting (nowadays) in June. Saturday's winds roiled the waters some [see those Rattlesnake Island photos -- the water next to the dock], but those over-sized boats will muddy our shorelines "like you won't believe."

IMHO, 2-strokes are an air-pollution problem, not a water problem.

Now then, what was the question again?
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
meredith necker

Default grease around outdrives

I believe that the grease from around outdrives is environmentally friendly and maybe biodegradeable. I remember years ago people complained about grease around shafts with propellers on them used as aqua therms but the grease or lubricant was made by Mercruiser and was safe to use.
meredith necker is offline   Reply With Quote