Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
CateP

Default Where to Buy Furniture?

This a new thread to follow up on the "where to buy appliances?" thread.

I am in a proactive mode in my house hunting in Wolfeboro. I know I am going to need new furniture for a living room and probably den, along with a guest room or two. I am also going to replace my mattress and want to get natural latex. I know furniture choice is right up there with car choice as far as subjectivity, but I am hoping forum members might offer some suggestions based on their own buying experiences in the area.

I am looking for furniture that is not cheap (WalMart-but I have been known to buy there for utility rooms) but is not overly expensive either ($1000 upholstered chair). I like the country motif and not big huge cushiony things.

I'm also wondering if I work with an interior designer, if that is a way to save on a package deal. I don't have budget yet, but am using this time to formulate one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful recommendations.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
sa meredith

Default ?

I would think shopping for/choosing furniture, before choosing the house, could prove to be a bit challenging. Room measurements etc...
That being said, although Ippolitos in Meredith, is a typical, run of the mill furniture store, we've had decent luck with them. They've always been willing to dig in, and negotiate. That's my favorite part...grinding away on the price. Picking stuff out? Not my thing.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lots of places for furniture.

I found almost new furniture on Craigslist and flea markets. Big Lots have great furniture. Like Home Goods, you have to visit Big Lots from time to time as selections varies. Ippolitos has a clearance room way in the back of the store.

I bought my tempurapedics matresses at Big Lots for $300. You would find them for over a grand else where. They were brand new.
CateP (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Highlander

We have been very happy in our dealings with Harris Furniture in Chichester. We were looking for a headboard and tables to go with some bedroom furniture we had purchased several years ago from Jordans Furniture, although we could not find a real good match for the finnish they took one of our drawers, sent it to the factory in Amish Country and had them custom stain the furniture to match our existing set. needless to say it is perfect, one of the young Harris boys helped us and come to find out he lives right around the corner from us in Alton Bay. I thought they went above and beyond to insure our satisfaction, we have returned for other items since. we also had good luck at Green Mountain Furniture in Ossipee and were treated very well by them also.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Jonas Pilot

I second Green Mountain Furniture. We have bought many pieces there. The products have been worthwhile and service was above average.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
MarkinNH

I have had my best luck shopping at Ippiltos in Meredith.
When I bought my house I was looking for a queen bed so that I could atleast sleep in my new house in style and comfort, both Parsons (wolfeboro) and Ippilitos (meredith) had my choice in stock. Ippilitos was happy to pull the display right off the floor where Parsons flat out refused but was willing to order me one which would have been a 6 week wait. Ippilitos also has their back wharehouse where I have found some great bargains on discounted furniture. I bought my coffee table and 2 side tables for under $300.
Green Mountain is a great store to go shopping in and I have purchased a few items from them I just was not pleased with their delivery policy and fees.
If I have to pay full price for a delivery, I damn well expect it to be delivered when I want it, not when they have enough deliverys in my area to warrant making the delivery. It was easier and cheaper to just go pick it up.
All said and done. Ippilitos is my choice of furniture stores.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Hermit Cover

Default Furniture....

Probably the best selection would be found at Green Mountain in Ossippee...prices aren't bad..they deliver and set up. Ippolitos Ok and close. Now....if you are concerned about quality and price and you know what you want.....Mfgr, styles, numbers, fabric, etc., then Furnitureland South in High Point / Greensboro, NC is the place to go. If you see $1200 retail price tag here...Furnitureland South is $600 or less. The markup on furniture is huge...a 20-30 0/0 off sale is not much of a discount. FurniturelandSouth.com has delivery trucks that come to this area typically twice a month....many months they have a free shipping promotion. They carry all major brands and manufacturers...not junk. They have huge showrooms in High Point but they do alot of business over the internet or phone...My son in Phoenix bought several rooms of furniture and paid for shipping....saved a ton over local stores. ...Daughter in Virginia bought a houseful for a new home and spent 3 days shopping in Carolina..We bought a truckload for our home here and are complimented with each new visitor. Their web site is impressive. I know people like to say that it is best to buy local....then they drive around the state to buy their trucks and cars to save a few dollars over local dealers.....and stuff. Money is tight..!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-30-2011), WakeboardMom (08-08-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Lakepilot

I'll second Harris furniture in Chichester. They have very good furniture for a reasonable price and stand behind their product 100%. We've never had any luck at Parson's, but it's very convenient.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Pontoon Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
although we could not find a real good match for the finnish they took one of our drawers, sent it to the factory in Amish Country and had them custom stain the furniture to match our existing set.
Any conventional furniture that goes to that length to satisfy a customer is alright in my book. A lot of stores are doing things they would not have dreamed of five years ago just to keep things going. As far as matching the finish of existing pieces there are some good unfinished furniture stores in the area that offer a great variety of styles, woods and finishing (paint or stain) to match any decor. Country Cottage in New Hampton, Yankee Furniture Barn in Ossipee, or even Holmwood's in Somerset are good options for unfinished REAL wood. For upholstery I know Yankee Furniture Barn carries Ashley Furniture.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
ghfromaltonbay

Default Green Mountain + New England Furniture

We've had luck at both Green Mountain Furniture and New England Furniture on Rte. 11 in Farmington. NE Furniture had a nice selection of Early American sofas, chairs and quite a good selection of mattresses as well. Their delivery service was also great.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
Chubbs

Cate,

My family has been very happy with Parsons Furniture, in Wolfeboro, for many many years.

Here is there web site. Good luck.

www.parsonsfurniture.com
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chubbs For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
KBoater

Default Parsons

If you work with Ann Scott at Parsons You can get good ideas and fair prices. Watch for their sales and special.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Cate,

My family has been very happy with Parsons Furniture, in Wolfeboro, for many many years.

Here is there web site. Good luck.

www.parsonsfurniture.com
Parson's does have nice furniture, however one can wait for long periods of time to get it. We ordered 2 pieces and were told that it would be 4 to 6 weeks. Four months later and what feels like hundreds of phone calls and all kinds of reasons for the delay for products that were being built a 100 miles away we finally got the furniture with damage. To replace it it, it would be another 4 to 6 weeks delivery and we didn't want to wait another 4 months. We ended up returning and getting our money back (less restocking fee) and bought the same product at another store and received it in 2 weeks undamaged.

Last edited by RLW; 07-31-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: addition
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Default Restocking Fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Parson's does have nice furniture, however one can wait for long periods of time to get it. We ordered 2 pieces and were told that it would be 4 to 6 weeks. Four months later and what feels like hundreds of phone calls and all kinds of reasons for the delay for products that were being built a 100 miles away we finally got the furniture with damage. To replace it it, it would be another 4 to 6 weeks delivery and we didn't want to wait another 4 months. We ended up returning and getting our money back (less restocking fee) and bought the same product at another store and received it in 2 weeks undamaged.
HMMM..After waiting that long, then getting it in a damaged condition, I hardly feel that a restocking fee is fair.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
camp guy

Default Where to buy furniture ?

Well, CateP, you've done it again - asked a question to which you will get more answers than there are answerers !

All of the furniture store mentioned have good products, and price is a matter of local sales, bargaining, and eye-to-eye negotiating, and who you deal with at the store.

I tend to second sa meredith when it comes to buying before owning a house. Personally, my wife and I have used all of the local stores, but we ususally show up armed with a dimensioned 4 x 4 graph paper sketch of the space in question to help us with choices.

Considering the relative cost of good furniture, I'd go slowly and carefully, which I am sure you will.

Good Luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
The same thing happened to us. I hate to order furniture but I did order a dining and bedroom set from Parson's. It took months to get it all for us to get it all and it was supposed to be 4-6 weeks. It was very hard to keep track of too as we got some piece by piece and got charged as it came in. I swear I will never order again and so far I haven't. If I can't buy it off the floor, I won't buy it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Well, CateP, you've done it again - asked a question to which you will get more answers than there are answerers !

All of the furniture store mentioned have good products, and price is a matter of local sales, bargaining, and eye-to-eye negotiating, and who you deal with at the store.

I tend to second sa meredith when it comes to buying before owning a house. Personally, my wife and I have used all of the local stores, but we ususally show up armed with a dimensioned 4 x 4 graph paper sketch of the space in question to help us with choices.

Considering the relative cost of good furniture, I'd go slowly and carefully, which I am sure you will.

Good Luck.
Hi Camp Guy,
I'm not going to buy my furniture before I buy the house, but I am getting closer to the latter. I do know that no matter what house I buy, I will need new furniture and I thought it may be fun to go to some stores on a rainy day when I am up in the area. I am definitely looking for a certain style and price range. It's so subjective isn't it? Like buying a car. But I am also learning that customer service is a key factor too.

Once again the forum members have offered great feedback on my question and I am beyond grateful for this forum.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
AB_Monterey

I'm already looking forward to the "Where to buy toothpaste", "Where to buy toilet paper", "Where to buy shoes" topics.

AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (08-08-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
Natt

Look into Hubbington's Furniture in Barrington. Solid real wood furntiure, made in the USA. They also have a store in Hampton.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-01-2011), WakeboardMom (08-08-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
songkrai

Where is furniture manufactured?

Do you care?

There is a discount furniture store that advertises on the TV quite a lot. Has a retail store in Manchester. The headquarters is in Connecticut.

Neighbor of mine recently had a mega-mansion constructed on lake. He asked me to go to his new home to let the delivery guys in. All I did was open doors.

All of the furniture looked great. No defects.

I did view the packagings. And labels as to where manufactured.

The fancy looking dining set was manufactured in Indonesia.
The fancy looking bedroom set came from China. Matress set made in USA.
The sofa and matching love seat was manufactured in Vietnam.

Good Luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #21
LAKE STYLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
This a new thread to follow up on the "where to buy appliances?" thread.

I am in a proactive mode in my house hunting in Wolfeboro. I know I am going to need new furniture for a living room and probably den, along with a guest room or two. I am also going to replace my mattress and want to get natural latex. I know furniture choice is right up there with car choice as far as subjectivity, but I am hoping forum members might offer some suggestions based on their own buying experiences in the area.

I am looking for furniture that is not cheap (WalMart-but I have been known to buy there for utility rooms) but is not overly expensive either ($1000 upholstered chair). I like the country motif and not big huge cushiony things.

I'm also wondering if I work with an interior designer, if that is a way to save on a package deal. I don't have budget yet, but am using this time to formulate one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful recommendations.
Cate, I can help you with all your furnishing/decorating needs! Call me at Lake Style Interiors 530=8743
LAKE STYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
LAKE STYLE

Default I can help you! Call me!

CateP,
I can help you with all your "where do I find" needs! I can help you with all you furnishing/decorating needs as well as about anything else you will need to find! I am a designer/decorator who is "affordable"! Call me! 520-8743
LAKE STYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LAKE STYLE For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
jpdog96

Default Where to buy furniture?

I've bought a lot of furniture over the past 2 years at "Cheneys Apple House Furniture" in Penacok, south of Tilton off I-93.

Good furniture, great people, reasonable prices. Would definitely recommend.

FYI, they deliver cheap !

BD
jpdog96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpdog96 For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-10-2011)