Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Steveo

Default Careful with the salmon

I have enjoyed the many threads this spring about the good salmon fishing in Alton and elsewhere. I also have seen the many photos in the Gallery. Two comments I feel compelled to make:

1.) I don't understand why anyone would want to keep their catch. You can buy all the salmon you want at the local market that has all the benefits and taste that our lake salmon have. As a matter of fact the market salmon is probably better since our lake salmon has tons of mercury. Why can't you just let it go so you and others can enjoy the catch again another day.

2.) I appreciate that most anglers do release the salmon they catch, and that's great. The only concern I have is the way I see the salmon being handled prior to release. You have to understand that touching the salmon with your hands can do significant damage to the fish - scale lose, protective slim lose, bacteria transfer to name a few. I wish people would be less concerned with the trophy photo with both hands wrapped around the fish and more concerned with releasing a healthy fish that can be caught again, still healthy. Take the picture with the fish either lying on the dock or even better dipping in the water as you hold its mouth and remove the hook

It is not my intention to ruining anyone's enjoyment but we can enjoy a whole lot more if we take some simple steps to protect this wonderful resource.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote