Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Hannaford is coming to Meredith

Hannaford Supermarkets announced it will be opening a 30,000 square foot store at the Meredith Shopping Center on Route 25.

Found this at the citizen online this morning. I am disappointed, I was hoping for a Market Basket. But I am glad it's not Shaws.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
fatlazyless

That's good news...Hannaford's is a good store.....EM Heath's up in Centre Harbor is an excellent store too. If you like real good meats, every second Wednesday of the month, except for July & August, Heath's has what they call a truckload meat sale and you can get 1 1/2' thick London Broil for like 2.39/lb......yummy stuff for the rest of us poor slobs who cannot afford Coe House or Canoe!

That's even cheaper than a $3.03 gallon of gasoline, and tastes a whole lot better!

Does the Hannaford in Plymouth have lots of lower prices than other Hannaford's because it is just one mile away from the Super Wal-Mart or am I hallucinating?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Hanafords will be a good thing, not as good as Market Basket as WBB eludes. But it will add competition for Shaws which should make both stores keep there prices down. Unfortunately Shaws with out a major competitor ran wild.

My only concern is what will this do too traffic. Getting in and out of that Parking lot is bad enough on a busy weekend. Will there be an added traffic light.

On the Flip side of this it is sad to see paradise, getting flooded by the big chain stores. Oh well it is the price of progress.... but non the less sad.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
sa meredith

Default good

Wondering if maybe, when this place opens, if Jackson Star's prices will come back down to earth.
Anyway...is this the plaza where the movie theatre is...Spinnelli's.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
KonaChick

While I do enjoy the hometown feel of Heath's, I find some of their pricing ridiculous and their meat and produce section lacking. Maybe they will offer more in the way of produce and meat and adjust their pricing in order to keep costumers. Heath's is more of a short trip to get eggs, milk and bread store for us. To do major shopping when we're up at the lake we go to STAR and now we'll probably be going to Hannafords.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

LI......Think you're referring to Star mkt in Meredith.Shaws in Laconia is pretty competetive.Star on the other handgets 30% more for meat than Heaths or the other chain stores.Everything else is much higher too...produce,fish,even bakery items.The other day at Star I was looking at a ribeye steak for $14.95 per lb. and it wasn't even choice.It was graded "premium" black angus which is not even a USDA rating,it's one they made up as a marketing tool.At Sam's Club,whole "usda choice" ribeyes are $8.95....that's a big spread.
USDA grades are prime,choice,select,standard,commercial,utility,cu tters and canners.If they don't call it choice it is probably select or standard which is a much lower grade......some stores even sell commercial and give it a new name.
My favorite is still Heath's but I'll sure give Hannafords a try when they open.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Shaws in Laconia is pretty competetive.
See, we've always found both Shaws in Belmont and Gilford to be much more expensive then Hannafords in Gilford. I'll be happy when the Meredith one opens, now we'll have a choice between Gilford and Meredith.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
NavGirl316

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
My only concern is what will this do too traffic. Getting in and out of that Parking lot is bad enough on a busy weekend. Will there be an added traffic light.
I have big concerns too about what it'll do to traffic - maybe I'll just have to do my grocery shopping by boat!
NavGirl316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavGirl316
I have big concerns too about what it'll do to traffic - maybe I'll just have to do my grocery shopping by boat!
Might cause a bigger traffic jam, especially if you are wearing a two-piece
when you cross the street...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
NavGirl316

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
Wondering if maybe, when this place opens, if Jackson Star's prices will come back down to earth.
We've enjoyed the convenience of Jackson Star, but not the holes it leaves in our wallets....Wonder how long before the new Hannaford runs it out of business.
NavGirl316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Irish mist

I only use Shaws for sale items, otherwise they are terrible ! Hannaford used to be a low-priced store, not so much any longer. They are somewhat better than Shaws, but that's no saying much. The Market Basket in Tilton is fantastic ! I go there 90% of the time now. And I still leave the store shaking my head at how good the prices are there.

Once in a while, if I'm in Concord, I shop at the Wal-Mart superstore, and they are really not much cheaper than Market Basket. That's the reason that Wal-Mart was in court for close to 5 years trying to keep Market Basket OUT of Tilton......in case they opened a superstore someday where the current Wal-Mart is they did not want to have to deal with a Market Basket !
________
Mac games

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
LI......Think you're referring to Star mkt in Meredith.Shaws in Laconia is pretty competetive.Star on the other handgets 30% more for meat than Heaths or the other chain stores.Everything else is much higher too...produce,fish,even bakery items.The other day at Star I was looking at a ribeye steak for $14.95 per lb. and it wasn't even choice.It was graded "premium" black angus which is not even a USDA rating,it's one they made up as a marketing tool.At Sam's Club,whole "usda choice" ribeyes are $8.95....that's a big spread.
USDA grades are prime,choice,select,standard,commercial,utility,cu tters and canners.If they don't call it choice it is probably select or standard which is a much lower grade......some stores even sell commercial and give it a new name.
My favorite is still Heath's but I'll sure give Hannafords a try when they open.
Yes you are right SAMIAM.... I don't know why but I always want the Jakson's Star Market to be a Shaws..... I have confused that since they openned....If I get confused like that now in my life I don't want to think about what I will be like 20 years from now......
Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
Sal

Default Hannaford is coming to Meredith

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...047/-1/CITIZEN
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
phoenix

is this good. how do their prices compare with Star, Heath's and market basket? I have never visited one
Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
GWC...

Don't you just love that smell of coffee?

Now that you're awake, here's a news flash...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5293
Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
phoenix

didn't see the post started 2 hours before. My questions are answered. Will still go to Market Basket for major shopping
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #17
ITD

Thank you Hannaford, I look forward to shopping there. I hope there is enough business in the off season for this store to last a long time.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
OFD232

Exclamation Hannafords and traffic rant

This actually sounds like a good idea. I like Hannafords and would much rather go there than the Jackson Omni Star where the prices are like the oil prices constantly rising .
My only real concern is what is this going to do to traffic. That stretch of road thru Meredith from 106 to about Moulton Farms is one great traffic calming space. Sort of like the ROTARY at the end of Parade rd. I hope that the plans for the store address at least their little slice of the road. It may also finally bring to a head the need for some kind of master plan for the roadways thru Meredith. I love it up there and while I in my heart I wish it could stay the sleepy little town I remember form the 1970's that aint't gonna happen. My concerns are not for growth which is going to be happening and so far seems pretty well managed but for the infrastructure that supports it. The Intersection of 3 and 25 can have long lines of traffic every day now in the summer where it used to be just on the weekends. It reminds me of the parking lot that I drive to work on during the dark times back in MA. when I hafta go to work. Hey Chmmmeeee I remember your comments re the traffic circle up at parade road. They were knowledgable and helpful, want to chime in here I would like to hear you ideas.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
longislander

This is my first input to the forum, but have enjoyed viewing the communication about the Lakes region.

I'm also a Local, living on Long Island...the one on the Big lake!

RE: Meredith Hannaford's: Does anyone know if the traffic patterns were addressed by the planinng board; e.g., will there be an entrance/egress on the other side of Rt. 25/3; i.e. the part of Rt 25/3 that heads to Ashland?

There was a detour around the plaza yesterday, and the day before, routing east/northbound traffic up to the hill on the other side of the high school. Looks like the construction was for sewer or the likes.

Does anyone know if the Hannaford's in Gilford will close, or is the store in Meredith an additional store?
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander
This is my first input to the forum, but have enjoyed viewing the communication about the Lakes region.

I'm also a Local, living on Long Island...the one on the Big lake!

RE: Meredith Hannaford's: Does anyone know if the traffic patterns were addressed by the planning board; e.g., will there be an entrance/egress on the other side of Rt. 25/3; i.e. the part of Rt 25/3 that heads to Ashland?

There was a detour around the plaza yesterday, and the day before, routing east/northbound traffic up to the hill on the other side of the high school. Looks like the construction was for sewer or the likes.

Does anyone know if the Hannaford's in Gilford will close, or is the store in Meredith an additional store?
I would imagine both Stores will stay open.... You can never have too many Grocery stores.....

Now as for traffic..... I have one thing to say..... At least it is convenient for me to go up to Ashland and sneak in Moultonboro one of many back ways.....
Yep I am thinking early.... Nothing worse then sitting in traffic looking at the lake in Meredith.... and realizing I am so close but yet so far away.....
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
I would imagine both Stores will stay open.... You can never have to many Grocery stores.....
Remember when there was a Jackston Star next to the State Liquor Store and K-Mart in Gilford? (located approximately where Lowe's is now) It didn't take long for it to close after Hannaford's (then called "Shop and Save") opened across the street. Ditto for McGrath's in Alton after Hannaford's opened down the street.

Maybe Market Basket can move into the spot when Jackson Star goes under?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #22
phoenix

now you are talking
Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #23
Windrider

OFD232....perhaps it's the result of your Billerica environment, you know, not understanding how to use the Parade Road roundabout, but as a Parade Road resident, it has virtually eliminated any slow downs whatsoever. To many of us who use it everyday and understand the word YIELD, it was an excellent solution to a bad problem.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #24
OFD232

Smile Windrider reply

Alas it is even worse than my Billerica Ways, I grew up in Dorchester part of Boston and Still work in the "Hub" today. Traffic is not something to be calmed down here. It is something we use to pee & Moan about when something else bothers us. I guess you can just call me a WhAAAAm bulance for my traffic woes . I am going thru Lake winni withdrawal and traffic is just a natural thing to whine about. AND I WILL HATE MYSELF FOR SAYING THIS BUT THE TRAFFIC CALMING CIRCLE (AKA ROTARY) DOES WORK WELL I hope the powers that be do that good a job with the rest of the road. BUt as for Hannafords that's a Good thing.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #25
loony

Default rt3/25 traffic study

here's a link to the rt3/25 traffic study.

http://www.meredith3-25.com/Advisory%20Committee.htm

If you click on 'study documents' you will see the the history of this study. The last diagram and perhaps the most recent proposal shows 3 new rotaries one at rt3 & 104, rt3 & 25, and at what used to be the lake shore deli (can't remember the road name).

One of the documents proposes extending the road along side of the community center on rt3 to rt25

Dizzying!

Last edited by loony; 11-15-2007 at 10:38 AM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #26
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony
here's a link to the rt3/25 traffic study.

http://www.meredith3-25.com/Advisory%20Committee.htm

If you click on 'study documents' you will see the the history of this study. The last diagram and perhaps the most recent proposal shows 3 new rotaries one at rt3 & 104, rt3 & 25, and at what used to be the lake shore deli (can't remember the road name).

One of the documents proposes extending the road along side of the community center on rt3 to rt25

Dizzying!
True, but a good illustration of what to expect.

Also, a large download PDF for those with a 56k connection, 3.46 mb...

http://www.meredith3-25.com/PDF%20Do...20Scenario.pdf
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #27
Dave M

Let me get this straight, they'll get rid of the little pizza place, get rid of shoe store, get rid of some parking spots at Mills Falls, get rid of parking spots at Lago's to put a rotary in. I can see on a Sunday night or a Holiday it will be bottle up due to continous traffic from Center Harbor. Everybody else will have to yield. What a joke. I just avoid all of it by going around by Rt25B, Waukewan Rd to the end, take left and end up at lights on Rt104. What ever happened to a by-pass. I guess the businesses wouldn't like that though.
The same with a rotary at Rt3/Rt104. On a weekend you'll have continuous traffic due to the rotary at Parade Rd. Rt104 traffic will get bottled up.

I guess driving up at midnight or sunrise solves the problem for drivers.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #28
budman

Unhappy DaveM

Dave, Don't be giving all our secrets away or we'll be sitting in traffic at the lights atRT104

Budman
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #29
Weirs guy

I think that the Gilford Hannafords is still planning to move to a new building in the Lowes parking lot?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #30
michael c

Default Hannafords/Market Basket/jackson star

First thing: hannafords is going into the site near the cinema ..I knew this 2 months ago but i can't tell what i know .they have big Lawyers !.actually part of the building will be 2 stories so as not to waste office space and lunch room space on the lower level.
second. I don't know this as a fact but i worked for M.B. for many years and if you look at the weekly flyers you will see that they are an exact match of what Artie T Demoulas and Artie s Demoulas does ...I think they have the same company printing the flyers ,,so if M.B doesn't own the entire Jackson star In Meredith ,and the entire complex,, it is only a matter of 6 months..I think It has already happened ,under the table ,,,but this is a gray area ...they may be sitting on their hands just waiting ,,,remember....any flies on the Demoulas family are paying rent ....you need to know how the Demoulas family works,,,Jackson Star has recently opened a new concept store near their home base which is milton mass /chestnut hill mass...upscale groceries and high end stufff,,,they see the writing on the wall..The only reason Shaws is not in Meredith already is because the only piece of real estate worth anything is only 4 acres and they need that much just for parking,,,their buildings average 60,000 sq ft which is 1 and 1/2 acres just for the building or more ... Just sit and watch what happens in meredith in the upcoming 18 months ...it will make your head spin
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #31
Argie's Wife

MB is owned by the Demoulas Family - that's why the flyers are the same for the two stores you mentioned. Wonderful family!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #32
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Market Basket

I for one like the Market Basket in Tilton. We buy "sales' from Hannaford and Shaws, but our major shopping is done in Tilton. They have the best fresh fish, and the meat selection is much better. More Variety.. ( It's the only place I've found Beef Short Ribs.. )

I'm from the Boston area and was alway aware of a "Family Feud" in the Demoulis family...

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

An excerpt from the above link.

"Despite having endured eight years of litigation already, in 1998 the two branches of the family seemed prepared to continue their legal and personal animosity indefinitely. From a tightly knit family in which business and personal matters overlapped broadly, relationships deteriorated to the point that the courts were forced to post Massachusetts State Police officers in the courtrooms during hearings. Mike Demoulas' branch portrayed George's children as worthless spendthrifts. George's branch in return was so angry that, according to the Boston Globe, when George's son Evan was killed in a car accident in 1993, Mike's family was informed by the attorneys for George's heirs--and told not to attend the funeral. Another of Mike and George's brothers, John, came to the wake and was refused entrance."

That aside.. I like Market Basket best.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #33
fatlazyless

One problem I've always had with the Jackson Star on Rt 104, is that there's absolutely no grout between the 12" ceramic floor tiles. Otherwise, it's a nice floor but where's the grout? I never heard of a tile floor with no grout in between the tiles?

It also seems kind of unusual that they sell all their fruit & veggies by the pound, including oranges and grapefruit, as opposed to the individual number of fruits. That gets expensive, fast.

Another thing, E M Heath's, up to Centre Harbor, gives you a choice of six different Green Mt coffees, and at my type of a price......FREE COURTESY COFFEE IN THOSE CRUMMY FOAM CUPS...so maybe you want to bring you own cup.

Now, if Jackson Star were to offer a quality freebie cup of coffee in a quality paper cup, I may reconsider my opinion on them!

Please everyone, pray for the Demoulas family that they can overlook the internal family rivalries and become one big happy family again. O...well, I dunno,,,,something about family businesses and money,,,,and two brothers- partners...and the next generation....once the patriarch passes away.....and 75 year old sibling rivalries.....hey, isn't that why the attornies all have two Mercedes Benz's, a formal black one for work, and a formal white one for the weekends....capiche!

Isn't that Judge thats mentioned in the link above , Judge Nancy Lopez who adjudicated in the Demoula family's lawsuit, the same Nancy Lopez who now has her own tv show, where she is a "Judge w/ a 'Tude" as in an attitude...ala Judge Judy but more so.....hmmmm ....maybe it's not too much of an act for her.

"...down & out on that poor side of Winnipesaukee!"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-04-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #34
phoenix

michael so do you think Market basket will be coming to Meredith in the jackson site
Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #35
SAMIAM

Nancy Lopez was the judge that reased a pedophile and was later censured.She has a long history of giving light (or no) sentences to career criminals.I think she's off the court by now.Hard to imagine someone being too liberal for Mass.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #36
DREAMS

Default Shaws is closer than you think...

I don't beleive Jackson Star Market will be departing anytime soon. Jackson Star chain is owned by Shaws Supermarkets.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #37
jkjoshuatree

I've just been informed that a very well known super market chain will be opening where the old October Farms/ IGA used to be (behind the cinema).

I also know that the person who bought the space WILL keep the cinema there because we (the wife and I) insisted on it.

I'll give you further details as they become available to me.

JK
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #38
fatlazyless

In case you hadn't noticed, the right half of the building has been leveled. Spears Brothers Demolition of Laconia did a very neat job of totally tearing it down without any damage to the Rite-Aid that's still open for business. Looks like three big excavt-n machines are busy chomp-n away on the ground with what's left.

I don't care what anyone sez...Hannaford's is a very good store....but still kind of a boring store....that little plaza was on top when it had from left to right....Heath's Super...Phu-Gee Chinese food...Brooks Pharmacy...Heath's Hdwe Store...ParaFUNailia....Ben Franklin..Dry Cleaner...Greeting Cards....Florist....& Tape Escape.......those were the good old days....but we just didn't know it at the time!

As it is now, the Meredith center of food staples, shopping gravity is located at Heath's Supermarket in Center Harbor, or maybe even at the Plymouth super Wal-Mart. That Plymouth Wal-Mart was open at like 8am on New Year's day, and at 8am there were lots n lots of cars in the park-n lot. Probably, it opened at 7am. That's got to be the busiest store in the state that's north of Concord.

Three good movies for three days for three dollars at the Tape Escape, and a huge selection (better than netflix) and wide variety of subjects....plus a photocopy machine. The dumb, dopey Rite Aid removed their photo copy machine.

So, where's the best hardware store in Meredith? It's the Ash Hardware in nearby Ashland, and it even has a good working photocopy machine, too, plus an excellent paint dept, and all at closed-down, goodbye town's big woolen mill, & big employer, prices. That means on the low side.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #39
the frenchman's wife

Talking ah those were the days

I loved EM Heath Supermarket when it was in that spot in Meredith. I did most of my shopping there until Star Market opened up and eventually ended up moving over there. Why? Because the traffic was rediculous during the summer and ski season. Star has an excellent location and I'd zip back down 104, onto Winona Rd and then to Waukeewan Rd to where I lived.

The last time I went to Star I was NOT impressed. I used to think it was a big store with lots of fresh produce (never thought it was cheap) but what I saw was a dirty, smallish store with nasty produce. I'll never go back.

I never liked Hannafords - from way back to when they started up in Plymouth (where I worked as a nurse at the hospital). Their prices were stupid for the area but perhaps now that the WalMart moved into town they've got a little competition and have tamed things down.

I just can't imagine a big supermarket by the cinema in Meredith. At all. I do hope they've got some mighty good plans for traffic control there, otherwise it's going to be an accident magnet and a nightmare. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like the next time I come to the US. It's changed so much already in that area. I know change is good, but . . . .

Last edited by the frenchman's wife; 02-14-2008 at 12:49 AM.
the frenchman's wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
phoenix

what's happening with the site now? Has the building been torn down yet ?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #41
fatlazyless

The Rite-Aid side of the building is what's left, after the right side got torn down, last month. Lot's of construction activity going on now on the right side while Rite-Aid is open for business. Large retail space, formerly Oct Farm, is empty & untouched. Great spot there for a flea market or a Wardo's dollar store full of Chinese ratchet wrenches, yarn, plastic storage boxes & Ronald Reagan biographies....all for a buck, each!

There's been talk of putting three more roundabouts, all close together on Rts 3-25, in Meredith. So, that would make four roundabouts within one mile.....just try driving that in a tractor-trailer pulling a 53' trailer with three axles....rots-o-ruck.....four roundabout Meredith....yikes!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #42
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There's been talk of putting three more roundabouts, all close together on Rts 3-25, in Meredith. So, that would make four roundabouts within one mile.....just try driving that in a tractor-trailer pulling a 53' trailer with three axles....rots-o-ruck.....four roundabout Meredith....yikes!
Suggest: make your opinions heard at all the State public hearings.

Maybe roundabout is appropriate for entrance/egress to new Hannaford, aligned with Pleasant Street? Meredith Neck residents complain about getting off the Neck!

My opinion: a disaster to change the lights at 3/25/Main Street to rotary; although large rotary used to work on mainland side of Cape Cod Canal Bridge & Route 3, which has been removed.

The rotary in Concord (aged?) was replaced by I-93!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #43
ITD

If you want to fix the traffic in Meredith center, forget the roundabouts and install 2 pedestrian overpasses across rt 3.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #44
the frenchman's wife

Post re: rotaries

I don't know, but in France and England there are rotaries left and right. More rotaries than traffic lights to keep the traffic flowing and they work pretty darned good. There's a LOT of truck traffic too and they seem to do just fine.
I don't think rotaries are a bad idea at all.

It'll be interesting to see what they are going to do there.
the frenchman's wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #45
michael c

Default supermarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMS View Post
I don't beleive Jackson Star Market will be departing anytime soon. Jackson Star chain is owned by Shaws Supermarkets.
Sorry to say that Jackson Star is in no way affiliated with Shaws..
they are privatley owned and they are now down to 3 stores from 6 , Meredith, chestnut hill and Milton mass.
MB will not move into meredith unless someone can find an appropriate site ....i.e. larger than 4 acres . the only site I am aware of is out near Meredith Ford and I believe that is only 4 acres .
If someone requests from me, I will post the letter from Hannafords real estate dept., telling me quite clearly that they had no interest in Meredith..too close to their Gilford store ..I still have the e-mail from them ...
2 days before i was to sign a 10 year lease with the prior owners of the shopping center for the october farms site with Merchant Motors from Manchester , They pulled out of the deal ,sold the site and I lost $20,000.00
simply shows that they [ the supermarker chains , are all whores ]
I have every e-mail and letter from all involved .If any of them challenge me , i have their letters and /or e-mails
Hannaford coming to Meredith will actually be a good thing .It will put Jackson star out of business within 8 months and then that will open up a large enough site for M.B. to come in, fix the stupid parking situation at the shopping center and then you will have competion
Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #46
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the frenchman's wife View Post
I don't know, but in France and England there are rotaries left and right. More rotaries than traffic lights to keep the traffic flowing and they work pretty darned good. There's a LOT of truck traffic too and they seem to do just fine.
I don't think rotaries are a bad idea at all. .
Switzerland and Austria also; and yes they work well. They place appropriate readable signs in advance and markings on the pavement; they also have good signs in the center with great vegetation.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #47
ITD

Quote:
Isn't that Judge thats mentioned in the link above , Judge Nancy Lopez who adjudicated in the Demoula family's lawsuit, the same Nancy Lopez who now has her own tv show, where she is a "Judge w/ a 'Tude" as in an attitude...ala Judge Judy but more so.....hmmmm ....maybe it's not too much of an act for her.

"...down & out on that poor side of Winnipesaukee!"

Yep, it was the same judge, although they got her name wrong, it's Maria Lopez, and she's a piece of work. Two lawyers got disbarred trying to discredit her after the Demoula's ruling.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1071896

She was the one who scolded the DA and sentenced a pedophile to probation after a pretty serious attack on an 11 year old. She later resigned her job over that and she just lost her tv job. Karma is a bummer.......

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1073121
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #48
fatlazyless

Well, there's always getting a job w/ her ex-husband, Bob Vila, the home repair guy. Bob & Maria are both Cuban Americans. Maybe there's a tv show staring Bob & Maria, called "Building a Home", or something, in the works, with them working together at the new Market Basket on Rt 104, Meredith???
Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #49
DREAMS

Smile Mike, Please read the signs @ cashout Shaws Gilford

Sorry to say that Jackson Star is in no way affiliated with Shaws..
they are privatley owned and they are now down to 3 stores from 6 , Meredith, chestnut hill and Milton mass.

Well Mike, I thought the fact that my family member has been employed for years with both Star Market & Shaws Chains did not give with your information. Well, go the the Shaws in Gilford cash out and read the sign that says "use your shaws card at star market". Just to be sure, I verified with the cashier, "including Jackson Star in Meredith, and that store is owned by Shaws" ? For which the cashier replied , "yes". Made sense if you can use a Shaws card at a Star Market. Possibly the NH stores have changed since your last informant was updated with the status.

With that being said, obviously Shaws has no sympathy on the local Meredith economy and is gouging all the customers for every penny possible with their prices. Fortunatately, convenience plays a big roll with location for weekend visitors and tourists driving by their complex as they pull into town. Of course, having the liquor store in the same complex kills two birds with one stone!

With that being said, a new chain grocery store in Meredith should at least create competition.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #50
michael c

Default Jackson's star market

the star in Meredith is not owned by "THE SHAWS "
the store in meredith is owned by a family and the name of the store is
" Jackson's Star market " not Jackson Star Market
here is the link to the company that owns the meredith store .
http://www.omnifoodssupermarkets.com The name of the meredith store is that jack has two sons and he thinks they are Stars...that is the story I was told.I have tried to use my shaws card there and they said no . the cashier at the Gilford store doesn't know what she is talking about.
Shaws parent company [Sainsbury from the U.K. ] sold Shaws to albertsons and last year another compny bought Albertsons.I can't remember their name though ,I can look it up

Ahold of the Netherlands ownes stop & shop [by the way S&S is for sale so if anyone here has a few extra billion it is a good deal ]
Also Shaws owns 18 grand unions and they went with the sale to albertsons. The 41 Star Markets that shaws owned [not to be confused with the little overpriced beyong imagination gem we have in Meredith, were also sold to C & S wholesale grocers, Food suppliers from the Brattleboro,VT. area

the litttle spat that has been going on for 20 years with the market bskt family ...is almost to difficult to describe...all I will say is that in my opinion those trials ,all 9 of them and all 9 appeals , should have been held in Nuremburg!
If someone asks I will tell you all the details of the law suits,,boring to most but interesting to some .I won't bore you unless you ask me to
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #51
fatlazyless

After months of carefully building the foundation for the new Meredith Hannafords, the above ground steel girders are now going up.

Some activity has been seen in the retail space that used to be Oct Farm. Anyone know if that empty space has found a tenant?

Village Greenery sign says they are retiring and moving to Maine.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #52
donnamatrix

Default Village Greenery

FLL: The amount of their lease was evidently really jacked up at VG and retirement seemed a better option. Too bad, because the florist that took over the space where the Lakeshore Deli used to be is overpriced and has very little to offer. I think Hannaford is currently using the Oct Farms space to store materials and staging, haven't heard about who might take over the space.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #53
Dave M

Default Traffic - Hannaford's

What they should do to elimiante some traffic is put an access road from the Plaza out to Rt3 near Aubuchon's. Persons traveling south/north on Rt3 would use this access. If done right you could also have additional parking off this road for cars,trailers,etc.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #54
Webbsatwinni

Default And they are taking care of their security issues.

I looks like they are taking the months of security breaches seriously, they are investing millions in data security, I hope it helps.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...SzxuwD90725B83
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #55
twoplustwo

Default wetlands

Dave, wasn't there a wetlands issue behind the building? I seem to remember them having planning and/or zoning board issues with the additional SF they are adding due to the setbacks behind the building. That could hinder something going out to route 3, since they'd have to go behind MVSB's parking lot, and there's not a lot of space between the end of Aubuchon's parking lot and the car wash, is there?

I look forward to a new grocery store in Meredith - I'm tired of Jackson's Star nailing us on prices year round, but it's so scary trying to get out of the Dunkin Donuts in Meredith now, I can't imagine adding to that traffic.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #56
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
FLL: The amount of their lease was evidently really jacked up at VG and retirement seemed a better option.
This is a very common theme throughout the "businesses closing/moving" threads. Are the owners of these buildings who are leasing to businesses getting too greedy? It's hard enough right now to get customerse to open up their wallets yet these leasees appear to be trying to get top dollar for their business space. I guess they'd rather wait and get top dollar while their buildings collect dust.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #57
fatlazyless

The steel frame is all built and while the new Hannafords is not as large as many other of their stores, it's a huge store for Meredith. Could be its' relative smallness, and it ain't all that small, could make it a better store. Like, how big does a super-market have to be, before it is too big?

Most likely the existing parking lot lighting, and existing fence that is built of telephone poles up along route 25 will get replaced. Hopefully the new lighting and fence will be a lot better design, without lighting up the whole sky. There's a lot to be appreciated for low-key lighting that will shine downward and not all over the place, and bouncing off the clouds. How much night-time lighting and illuminated, flashing signs are really needed, and do they actually help a business?

Just take a look at the signs for Heath's Supermarket in Centre Harbor. Up above the entrance they have some weathered brass lettering on their white building and that is all they have for signs. That is all. It's likely that someone driving down route 25 would pass Heath's and have no clue that there's a large and real good, well-run food store with all types of good stuff inside their classic New England, white clapboard, building. It seems to work and its a busy store so they get along just fine without hardly any signs at all. Why bother with a sign out by the road to let people know they are a supermarket? Totally not needed!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #58
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Hopefully the new lighting and fence will be a lot better design, without lighting up the whole sky. There's a lot to be appreciated for low-key lighting that will shine downward and not all over the place, and bouncing off the clouds. How much night-time lighting and illuminated, flashing signs are really needed, and do they actually help a business?
Im with you on this one FLL.Too much lighting of parking areas is annoying.However,this is usually the building departments doing.I built a 200 car lot in Manchester and had no choice but to install a mininum amount of lumens per the city code.I had to have a lighting expert draw up a lighting plan showing the type of fixture and how much light output it would have.It had to be approved before I could go forward.I did make sure though to install downlighting only.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #59
Orion

Default Lighting is important!

Excellent points SSKR and FLL! I've learned from personal experience how bad the night skies can ruined by thoughtless lighting. The town I live in in winter is now so bright we only see a few stars and I don't need nightlights in the house due to outside skylight.....and I live in the suburbs! All that is needed is some care in the lighting design to avoid upward-reflecting light. Good info on this topic is here:

http://www.darkskyinitiative.org/

We've still got somewhat good night skies at the lake, but I see some areas fading fast.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #60
BlackCatIslander

Default When is Hannafords opening?

When we drove by this weekend, it looked like they may have an opening in early July. Has there been anything in the newspaper abouy a date?
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #61
Rinkerfam

We're on vacation in Meredith at the end of August. I would be thrilled if the new Hannaford was open by then. I'd rather shop there then drive to Laconia to the Shaw's. Every dime I save on car fuel can be better spent on boat fuel
Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #62
phoenix

looks like about 30 days away. What will they do next. the old farm market is vacant and the rite aid is in the middle .
Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #63
fatlazyless

It still a steel frame structure with all the exterior walls and all the interior work still to be done. Could be Thanksgiving before it opens?

Hannaford will never ever ever ever never ever be close to half as good as Heath's in Centre Harbor. There's a very good reason why Meredith, Moultonboro, & Centre Harbor all go to Centre Harbor for their food shopping. It's called E M Heath's!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #64
SAMIAM

Amen to that FLL..............E.M. Heath's is a fabulous store. Prices way better than Star market and all kinds of nice specialty items.Meats are excellent.Friendly staff......they use lots of local produce durring the season.Nobody else does.I've bought delicious local apples,and even peaches.......wonderful sweet carrots from local farms.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #65
froggy

You want the same butcher who used to work at E M Heath in Center Harbor, then managed the Meredith store, then October Farm Market? He is now the butcher and manager in Laconia at Vista Foods: Lee Nash. Ask anything and he will cut it as you desire and offer great advice for grilling or whatever.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #66
jerseyonbear

Default Hannafords

I was wondering how the new Hannafords in Meredith is coming along. Does it look like they may be open by the end of the month? I would love to have a new place to shop instead of running to center harbor. Thanks for the heads up
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #67
TomC

Default open in July?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyonbear View Post
Does it look like they may be open by the end of the month?
not a chance. Interior is empty and they're still applying roof decking and shingles.

I have an acquaintance who does commerical refrigeration and they have this account... the plan is to be open this fall...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #68
phoenix

agree the movie theatre person said October or November is what they told him
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #69
Wreckn1

they are shooting for turkey day to be open this is 100% fact, if they contiune to move along they might be close to getting back on the orgianl schd. but with all the delays in the begining of the project i doubt they can make up that much time, so the new deadline is what i said above turkey day
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #70
gus62

Any updated news on Hannaford in Meredith? What about the empty space that Lee Nash had his October Farm Market in? I still think I`m staying with Heath`s. The people are friendly, it`s easy to get in and out of and I have to say that the annual lobster truck load sale had the best price I`ve seen in any store this year at $4.99.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #71
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Lobster??

When is the big lobster sale??
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #72
gus62

orry it has already happenned on a Saturday near the end of July. They do it every year. Sell them right off the truck from Booth Bay Harbor, Maine.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote