Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
bigdog

Default NH State Car Inspection needed?

Have to get my car's annual NH State Car Inspection performed.

Fairly new to lakes region, and don't know a lot of repair shop places
Last inspection performed at McGreevy's in Blemont, but they went out of business recently. Too bad, they were very good !

Also steering away from certain dealerships, known for the unreputable practices.

What is the typical cost for the NH State inspection, My car is a 2005, and was just quoted by a shop for $48, includes the engine test.
Cost seems rather high !

Any suggestions for reapair shops around Laconia, Gilford or Belmont area, who perform this state inspetion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Little Bear

I use Prestige Automotive on Gilford East Drive in Gilford for all my vehicles. 528-6830.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
budman

$48 is the cost of the inspection. It's the same anywhere you go.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
$48 is the cost of the inspection. It's the same anywhere you go.
Not true.$29 at Speedy Lube in Manchester.$25 at Midas.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Rusty

Although all drivers in New Hampshire have to have their cars inspected, not all drivers pay the same price. Different garages are allowed to charge different prices for inspections, so it may pay to shop around. Some garages charge as much as $50 for the inspection, while others are as low as $20.

Under state law, the inspection is the same everywhere and includes a mandatory yearly emissions test for most cars (depending on the year built).

The only state rule about the cost is that garages must post the price per Saf-C 3208.03 Inspection Fee Sign (see below).

Saf-C 3208.03 Inspection Fee Sign.

(a) Each official inspection station shall conspicuously post a sign showing the inspection fee charged, on the outside of the building.

(b) Each sign shall be no less than 12 inches in height by 18 inches in length, bearing the words:
VEHICLE INSPECTION
FEE $________

(c) Each letter and number shall be no less than 8 inches in height with a 3/4 inch brush stroke.

(d) Each inspection station shall enter the appropriate fee in the space provided.

(e) More than one sign may be posted.

(f) If the inspection fee includes a separate fee for an OBD-II inspection, the inspection station shall break down the two fees on one sign, pursuant to RSA 266:1, VII. This sign shall not be subject to the requirements set forth in (c) above.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Bubs

Important: A lot of the cheaper places will get that extra money back by failing your car for things that other places would not. It's an unfortunate practice that takes place all over the area. It's essentially a bait-and-switch tactic, enticing customers in with extraordinarily low inspection prices, and then failing the inspection for a "lot of problems" and charging for hundreds of dollars in work.

For example, and I am not going to give names because this was a few years ago, my mother decided to go to a place that was charging $5 for inspections. They wound up failing the car for a variety of odd reasons, which she then had checked out at a more reputable shop that found that none of those issues existed.

Sometimes cheap does not directly equal better, and sadly the automotive business can be a shady place sometimes. If you have work that you need done on your car that you are not comfortable doing yourself, you are better off to find a small, local shop that you can trust.
Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
bigdog

Default NH State Car Inspection needed?

Jiust contacted a Midas shop in lakes region, they all do for $25,statewide, and includes 'emissions' testing.

Thanks for the tip SIKSUKR !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default Gawd

Theres so many around where do we start.....
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
CateP

Default Midas

Midas
1022 Union Avenue
Laconia, NH 03246
603-524-2240
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
fatlazyless

http://www.vipauto.com/-images-coupo...spection-8.pdf this link isn't working but VIP Auto has five dollar NH & Maine inspections through June 30. Go to www.vipauto.com and clink on Special Offers down at the bottom.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
AB_Monterey

VIP? Two words: Never again.

http://www.wmur.com/news/21442178/detail.html

Oh, and I can tell you first hand that the "cheap inspection = laundry list of reasons why your car failed inspection" is definitely part of their modus operandi.

DON'T.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
fatlazyless

I've had a couple different cars inspected at the Laconia VIP over the last few years and it was straight forward, no big deal, and the car got the sticker, and it all seemed above board the way it is supposed to be.

That WMUR link is from October 2009 and for a Concord NH VIP, and VIP has a large number of different locations. With the sticker, it only costs five dollars to give it a go, so you can always just say no to any repair suggestions, and say thanks but no thanks, and go somewhere else. With a stop-loss of five dollars, five dollars is 35-dollars less than the standard 40-dollar fee.

Probably, VIP got caught making phoney inspection recommendations back in 2009 in Concord, and now the entire chain of VIP's perform their state inspections with the same good intentions as a priest in peril!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-17-2011 at 06:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
AB_Monterey

I got a nifty new motor from VIP thanks to one of their bargain oil changes.

Have at it!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
I got a nifty new motor from VIP thanks to one of their bargain oil changes.

Have at it!
Must have forgot to tighten the oil drain plug or something? What happened?

VIP-Laconia oil & filter change - $19.95

Irwin Zone Quik Lube oil & filter Change - $27.00

Wal-Mart-Plymouth or Tilton: Oil & Filter Change - $30.00 although they seem to be running a Dale Earnhart Jr $24.00 Oil & Filter change for much of the time.

Lovering Volvo oil & filter change - no clue?

Meredith Ford - no clue?

Belknap Suburu - no clue?

Laconia (Meredith) Harley Davidson - no clue?

Do-it-yourself: about fifteen dollars for 5-quarts and a filter.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
patman

Quote:
I got tires at VIP in Laconia a few weeks ago (and I agree...never again...but that's a different story) but I did overhear some inspection talk.

One woman was there with a minivan. She was told the car needed front tires, the rear tires were marginal but would pass, it needed brakes all around, but the worst thing was the car had a 'large fluid leak' of some sort, and they wouldn't pass it with the leak. They couldn't tell if it was the engine or transmission, but they suspected it was the crankshaft seal. She pressed them for how much, and after looking up a bunch of stuff and making some calls, they gave her an estimate of $1500+ for just the fluid leak. She said "OK, I know I need the tires and brakes, but a leak? If I get the tires and brakes I can get a sticker on it again." "Not here you can't, if it was just dripping a little, we could pass it, but this is a really bad leak, and it's unsafe." was the reply. She repeated "Yeah, I can get a sticker, but not here", thanked them, and took her keys back.

As she was driving out, I noticed that the vehicle was being used as a school bus. It had the flip-up sign with the blinker lights on the roof rack, and stickers on the sides. That car had probably been used that morning to transport kids. Nice.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
AB_Monterey

They installed the wrong filter on the car.

It blew off on RT93 at 70mph. Engine was toast before I got to the breakdown lane.

I can get an oil change at the dealer, Foss in Exeter, for $24.95.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
Alton Bay

Sydow's Auto Service Center
110 NH Route 106
Gilmanton, NH 03237-4922
(603) 267-1100

Jeff is a honest hard working guy and he'll take good care of you.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Rusty

Here is a multiple choice question for everyone:

How do automobile repair businesses make their money?

A. Annual Inspections.
B. Repairs and parts.

I’ll say no more.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
songkrai

I was at a body shop/collision center where I had work done on my car. Over the years I get inspection there. $45.00. My truck is new so no issues. One time I was there one of this body shops competitors came for a visit. Out of his mouth were the words something like this:

I never let a customer leave my shop when inspection is done unless I can geet at least $250.00 of work.

Of course not newer cars. Older cars/trucks. Maybe the fellow was joking. I don't know. Again, maybe he was just joking around.

All should seek out local independent mechanic. Ask around. Ask your neighbors. As people at your place of worship.

There should be nothing wrong with any franchise shop. But sadly a few are just plain unscrupulous. They have a franchise fee that must be paid every month or year. Some really try to be honest. But a few just wish to replace parts. As many parts as they can get away with.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
AB_Monterey

Last Feb, my son took his Jimmy to the VIP in Londonderry (unknown to me) for the $5 inspection deal.

It failed and the bill for repairs came to $1200.

I then sent him to my mechanic who I have been using for 12 years. I did not know that he did not tell him that he had failed at VIP.

When we went in to pick up the truck. He asked me who the hell did the inspection on it that failed him for all those items. That information is input into the state database. When I told him, he just shook his head in disbelief. We both had a good laugh over it since the truck passed inspection without issue.

Never again.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #21
wifi

Quote:
...... That information is input into the state database.....

EEEwwwww... thanks for that info
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
fatlazyless

When told that your car needs 1200-dollars of repairs to pass inspection, you can say that you want to get a second opinion from another inspection station, pay the five dollar inspection fee, and leave with your sticker intact. You are not obligated to go with their recommendations.

You can say basically whatever enters your minds such as I do not have the money right now, I simply do not believe your recommendations, I want another opinion, I want to get out of here etc etc etc and leave with the sticker intact.

By agreeing to pay for a five dollar inspection, you have agreed to pay five dollars, period, and not whatever larger amount that may be recommended. It then becomes decision time for you; do you go with their repair recommendation, or do you leave, basically lose the five dollars, and go to another inspection station.

By agreeing to enter into the five dollar inspection, you are agreeing to an inspection, and not to whatever repairs which may be recommended. That is a second decision and you definitely have the choice to just say "NO THANKS BUDDY" at that time!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
Rattlesnake Guy

Lets be careful. I use the VIP in Milford NH and have had very good experiences. They treat me very fairly and work hard to reduce the cost of things that are wrong and tell me when things don't need to be done to pass inspection or could wait for a while. It is possible that it may be a particular VIP location and not the entire network. My trucks are 11 years old and I have had plenty of inspections at VIP that had less than $50 in stuff fixed.

Just saying it might be location by location issue and not a company culture.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote