Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Marine Mechanics

After my boat was delivered this spring, I noticed that there was a problem with the batteries. It would start on battery # 1 but would not start on battery #2 or #1 and #2 together, however on #2 it would operate the trim but not start the motor.
Soooo off we go to the marina (no point in names, we all make mistakes) where they said that #2 battery was weak (2011 boat w/175 hours) and they replaced it for $172.00. This was on a friday and I used the boat over the weekend and nothing had changed.....still dead on two terminals which told me my old battery was probably fine and it was an electrical problem of some kind. So I went back to get my old battery back and it had already been picked up for recycling.
When I explained that the new battery had not solved the problem the mechanic told me that, clearly it was an electrical problem causing the starter to call for both batteries, that it might be a warranty issue and would take several hours of diagnosis. Bummer
Long story short......,I happened to run into my old buddy Tup Goodhue who was in the business at Goodhue Marine for many years and told him my tale of woe. Tup said there was nothing wrong with the electronics, probably just a little corrosion from storage.
Sure enough, pulled the cover.....one shot of WD40 and I'm all set.
Not trying to bash anyone, just saying it's not a bad idea to get a second opinion. Learned a lesson but it cost me $175 and a good battery.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
dickiej

We've all been there! Diagnosis is an art, not a science. Start with the simplest solution first and work up ($$$) from there. I am a medical technician, and when I get a call, my first question is "is your machine plugged in?" You'd be floored by how many people have an unplugged machine and call at 3:00 a.m!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Marine Mechanics

These two posts demonstrate a point I have made over the years, not necessarily on this site, but in general. The point being, the difference between those of us who are civilians and those of us who are technicians is that the technicians aren't necessarily smarter then others, but they do know what questions to ask and in what order to ask them.

This holds true for all technicians, be they electronics technicians, plumbing technicians, carpenter technicians, automotive technicians, and any other type of technician there is.

As a civilian I am apt to charge full steam ahead into a project only to find out that I am not properly prepared to complete the job, either because of training or because of material needed.

A technician makes a living living by the code "Measure twice, cut once".
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Dad sold the C * C (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
We've all been there! Diagnosis is an art, not a science. Start with the simplest solution first and work up ($$$) from there. I am a medical technician, and when I get a call, my first question is "is your machine plugged in?" You'd be floored by how many people have an unplugged machine and call at 3:00 a.m!
........ And when they say "of course, now get here I need my copier working NOW!" This was a long time ago, but it still remember the hour drive there in a snow storm, and the over two hour ride home; just to push the switch on the power strip under her desk
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Similar situation

Two batteries, both bought at the same time. One can't turn the motor and the other can. Mechanic replace one 'bad' battery and charged $150. Since the battery was fairly new I ask for the old battery and return the battery to Sam's. They tested the battery and replace the battery.
Here is the neat part. I tried to return the new battery to the mechanic. The mechanic says 'Why don't you save the battery in case the other battery failed'. He wont take back the battery. Sam's battery was $75 if I purchased. Never went back to that mechanic.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
After my boat was delivered this spring, I noticed that there was a problem with the batteries. It would start on battery # 1 but would not start on battery #2 or #1 and #2 together, however on #2 it would operate the trim but not start the motor.
Soooo off we go to the marina (no point in names, we all make mistakes) where they said that #2 battery was weak (2011 boat w/175 hours) and they replaced it for $172.00. This was on a friday and I used the boat over the weekend and nothing had changed.....still dead on two terminals which told me my old battery was probably fine and it was an electrical problem of some kind. So I went back to get my old battery back and it had already been picked up for recycling.
When I explained that the new battery had not solved the problem the mechanic told me that, clearly it was an electrical problem causing the starter to call for both batteries, that it might be a warranty issue and would take several hours of diagnosis. Bummer
Long story short......,I happened to run into my old buddy Tup Goodhue who was in the business at Goodhue Marine for many years and told him my tale of woe. Tup said there was nothing wrong with the electronics, probably just a little corrosion from storage.
Sure enough, pulled the cover.....one shot of WD40 and I'm all set.
Not trying to bash anyone, just saying it's not a bad idea to get a second opinion. Learned a lesson but it cost me $175 and a good battery.
Tup is awesome!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Seems like a simple battery load test would have found that the battery was fine, and led the tech to a different diagnosis.
It seems like it is getting harder and harder to find a dealer/tech/shop who can find and fix a problem the first time. And a simple start test on the new battery after it was installed and the tech would have noticed that the problem still existed.
I hope you discussed this with the service manager and/or owner at the marina. Not sure how he would have resolved it, but at least it can turn into a learning situation for the tech that did the work.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Taz

There is a reputable marina on the lake who shall remain nameless. I purchased and serviced the boat at this marina. On more than one occassion I reported a problem to them and they supposedly diagnosed the problem and fixed it when they did not. I am not a mechanic but I figured out the problem and brought it back and then they fixed it. Very frustrating. I think sometimes at least in my situation it was a question of not taking the time to investigate the problem and do the quickest fix they can think of.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
Downeast

Default An old thread yes..

Hi I realized this was an old thread, but I figured I chime in for these types of problems will be around as long as electrons flow..

I can help you out if you run into an electrical issue again in the future or anyone else.

Ive been working on boats and specialize in marine electrical and related systems for nearly 20 years. Ive worked for a number of high-end custom yacht builders, am ABYC trained and love wires.

Formerly from blue water, I am here in the lakes region on fresh water as a change. You guys have it easy without a doubt. The corrosion is minimal which is great in every way.

Anyhow, consider my offer. Shoot me a question. Keep power on and make it look neat
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downeast For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-10-2015), jst_4_kiks (06-11-2015)