Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
nightrider

Default help requested Alternator replace 260 Mercruiser

I was trying to remove the alternator from my 1986 - 260 Mercruier engine. Things were going great until I removed the bolt holding the alternator onto the bracket only to find there is a sleeve thru the bracket and alternator which must come out before the alternator can be removed. The bolt was inside this sleeve. The sleeve is flush with the engine side of the bracket and sticks out a small amount (1/8"+/-) on the front side of the bracket. It seems to be frozen in there. To loosen it, I tried banging it towards the engine but realized that maybe it is not supposed to go in any further. Anyhow, any suggestions on how to remove the sleeve?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
trfour

Post Hi nightrider

It would help us to know what the sleeve is made of/aluminum/steel/etc.
And of course a close up picture would help as well...

Step #1. Place some absorbent towels directly under the area in the bilge and soak the mounting sleeve with PB Blaster, nuts off, or WD-40 penetrating oil...

Step #2. Using a small ball peened hammer, tap around the alternator mounting casting area directly in the sleeve area that will help loosen and expand it for disassembly.

1986, WOW. Thats an old critter...

Step #3 requires extreme caution... If you have a Bernzomatic torch, applying some heat to expand and loosen the mounting parts. Again, remove any combustibles in the area before trying this step.

Hope this helps!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default ?

The sleeve is usually just a pivot point so you can get the belt tight. I've never seen the sleeve attached to the alternator but to the engine.
I'd visit, not call the local marina and talk with a mechanic. This usually gets me back on my way to completing the project when I run into a snag.
Good luck with it.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

If the sleeve does need to come out then I would simply drill it out. Make sure you don't drill the bracket hole bigger. Simply start with smaller drill bits and increase size. Sometimes even the drilling action will turn the sleeve and loosen it. If you drill the sleeve to very close to the bracket and its still in there, try knocking it out with a punch, chisel, or drift. The thin material left will usually deform and collapse inward where it can be knocked out.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
robmac

GM for years used spacing sleeves to strengthen and stabilize accessory brackets. I would start by soaking it with PB Blaster or a similar rust penetrant,then if worse comes to worse if you have room turn the entire assembly till you get it off then hammer it apart. You can heat it but wouldn't recommend that unless you have experience. If you can't spin the entire assembly the cut the head of the bolt off respray with rust penetrant and try and gently pry the bracket off the fastener and sleeve. Make sure upon reassembly to apply a liberal amount of anti-sieze compound. Hope that helps.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
nightrider

Default help requested Alternator replace 260 Mercruiser

Thanks...all good advice. As best as I can determine, it is steel. Aluminum would not be strong enough.

TRfour... I've tried you're first two suggestions to no avail however the penetrant oil was not on for that long before I had to stop for the day.

BR....the alternator is not attached to the sleeve. the sleeve acts as the pivot point for the alternator.

I'd rather not have to take the bracket off the engine as it holds the power steering fluid reservoir and pump also.

I could drill it or I was thinking trying an easy out. If I drill I would only be able to drill it out of the front bracket. There's no way to access the rear brackey as the exhaust manifold is about 3" from it. An easy out may be able to apply enough torque to the sleeve to break it free. Heating with a torch may help. What is a good shield to use with the torch so I don't melt any hoses or such? Nothing like using fire near fuel, eh?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
nightrider

Default alternator photo

Name:  alternator.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  6.9 KB

photo of alternator
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Dave R

Out of curiosity, are you removing it to replace it? If so, does it turn smoothly? If so, you may be able to just replace the brushes. They are wear items and are generally sold separately (and really cheaply). You can often replace them without removing the alternator.

If it's a Mando (and it sure looks like it is), the brush pack is probably merc part: 42784
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
nightrider

Default mando

It is a Mando and it turns easily. Brush replacement is another option.