Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Ride & Dive

Default Gelcoat chips

Curious what the thought processes are on fixing chips in the gelcoat. Immediate issue? End of season? Above/below the waterline.....

Thanks
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
NoBozo

Depends on what color the gelcoat is. I have a 20' RED 1986 runabout. I noticed a chip in the vertical "transition"... (on the edge) from the transom to the side of the boat. Outside Corners are particularly sensitive to chipping.

I found a small bottle of paint at a local Hobby Shop that matched the hull color and "filled it in" ..in layers...drying in between layers... with the paint using an artists brush. The colors available at the Hobby Shop are almost infinite. It's a "mask" on the edge and not so noticeable. . Amateurs will NOT get it right trying to match gelcoat colors with a gelcoat repair kit....Just the way it is.. NB

EDIT: The paint I used was Badger Precice Design Model Flex...Water Based Acrylic

Last edited by NoBozo; 05-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (05-14-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Above the water line, there really isn't a concern... Fix it when you can unless there is an issue, like it is getting bigger....

Below the water line well, there are variables here..

is the boat kept in the water is the biggest one....

If it is well, the problem might get worse, and you could end up with blistering, which can lead to even more problems as I found out, and becomes a expensive fix...

If the boat is kept in the water, for how long is it in the water, a few weeks, no big deal... 6 months well then that is another story....
Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
ITD

If it's down to the glass matting, fix it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
NHBUOY

Lightbulb

What LI said. A quick & EZ cosmetic fix, above the waterline, is woman's nail polish & clearcoat, from the same manufacturer, works nicely.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Chaos

Default A company called

Spectrum Color http://www.spectrumcolor.com, has color matched gel coat repair kits for many manufacturers. Depending on the amount of repair work necessary, they have a small 2oz gel coat paste repair kit for about $27. I did this on my SeaRay 280 Sundancer a few years ago and the color match was terrific. Relatively easy to do (once you get past taking sand paper to your gel coat ) .

I have no connection to Spectrum, just have used the product and it performed great and still looks great.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Ride & Dive

Slightly below the waterline ;-)
Attached Images

Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ride & Dive For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-18-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Spectrum Color http://www.spectrumcolor.com, has color matched gel coat repair kits for many manufacturers. Depending on the amount of repair work necessary, they have a small 2oz gel coat paste repair kit for about $27. I did this on my SeaRay 280 Sundancer a few years ago and the color match was terrific. Relatively easy to do (once you get past taking sand paper to your gel coat ) .

I have no connection to Spectrum, just have used the product and it performed great and still looks great.
I'm curious how far 2oz will go? It doesn't sound like much to be filling in cracks. Are we talking spider webbing type imperfections or someone dropped a ski and put a small chip/crack in the edge?

Thanks

Peter
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote