Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Kamper

Default Merc '94, 40 HP ELPTO, Max RPM's?

Merc '94, 40 HP ELPTO, Max RPM's?

After a couple years in storage I thoroughly prepped my boat and took the family for some rides on Lake Winnisquam, last week. The motor sounded well but did not hit the speeds I expected and seemed quieter than I expected at full throttle. Some of my passengers were a bit heavy but I've had similar loads in the past.

Fresh fuel. New hoses. Filters are clear (see through). Connections are tight. No crap in carb bowls. I'm planning on selling the boat so I've been spending a lot of spare time on it. The family tours were just a fringe benefit of that work. It was not just a "shake off the cover and go" prep.

I'm going to hook it to a test-tach and adjust some of the settings. Does anyone here know the maximum RPM's for this model of motor?

Thanks in advance!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Found this link which has the information you are looking for:

http://www.piranha.com/Mercury_Outboards.php

Remember that the WOT, is under load, so this needs to be done with the boat in the water.

Out of curiosity, what type of boat?
Kamper (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Kamper

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

I have a 55 gallon barrel that I can use for the stress test. First I'm going to veirfy the mixture at a moderate setting. Then I'll adjust the max RPM blocks.

The boat is an '83 Starcraft SSC 150. That's a tin, split console, run-about. I think the boat did better than I did. I made a few newbie handling errors but after an hour it was all coming back to me.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
NHBUOY

Kamper, make sure that drum is anchored in place (ie:cornerered in garage with boat backed up "tight" and a constant water supply)..40hp at WOT with a prop (not a test wheel) is a mighty powerful thing...when was the last time you ran some Sea Foam through it.?..happy tuning..
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Kamper

Oh yeah. I've used the drum before. Slip it empty over the drive, straighten out the l/u to vertical, fill the drum at least half-way. That's 200 lb.s. It has never moved. I tape a hose over the pisser to recycle that water too.

I changed-out the water jacket and exhaust gaskets before storing it 2 years ago. No build-ups to worry about. I rebuilt the carbs at the same time, too.
Sponsored Links