Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Smith Point

Default air plane rides

I was trolling for salmon on the lake over the weekend and noticed that there was a lot of air plane activity around, and thought that would be a nice way to celebrate my fiancé’s birthday. Can any one recommend any good cynic rides in the lake’s region?
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
arthurc

Talking Air Plane Rides

Smith point Cynic Ride???

My wife and I took a ride out of Moultonborough about 5 or 6 years ago. The plane was old and held together with chewing gum abd bailing wire, the pilot was a college student doing a summer job. But I loved every minute of it. It was great seeing the Lake from above. The day was somewhat overcast but no wind and I think that made a big difference.. I'd like to do it again sometime. It's an adventure.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
KevinPlante

Take a scenic airplane ride. Our industry can use all the help it can get. You will likely enjoy it. I am a pilot and have taken many friends on scenic rides. Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns.
KevinPlante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Smith Point

Kevin, thanks for the invitation, will we be using the fighter Jet?
I know that there is a number of regulars who have there pilots license form the photos posted in the forum, lets get a little bidding war going. Who’s got the nicest air craft at the cheapest rate pr hour?
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
KevinPlante

Your best bet would probably be to go to LCI and poke around a bit. See who has what and what they have to offer. There is also a small float plane outfit around Laconia that gives instruction as well as scenic rides where you takeoff and land on the water. Shop around a bit before you decide who to go with.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
lakeman

I took my kids for a ride out of the moultonboro airport. It was like 20 or 30 dollars. The plane wasn't bad and the pilot was polite and professional. He also had great knowledge of the lake. We even "buzzed" the castle in the clouds. My kids and I loved it and have been meaning to go again. If you haven't its worth the trip. Small planes feel much different than jets. Its does make for a great adventure.
lakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
KevinPlante

It is against federal regulations to fly below 2000' above ground level around the lake, except for the purpose of takeoff or landing. Something to keep in mind when you're flapping your gums about flying stunts.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
Mee-n-Mac

Question Ultra-light over the lake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPlante
It is against federal regulations to fly below 2000' above ground level around the lake, except for the purpose of takeoff or landing. Something to keep in mind when you're flapping your gums about flying stunts.

Perhaps someone should tell the guy in the ultra-light. I wondered if his flying was FAA legal or not. Only rule I could recall was not doing "acrobatics" above a "populated" area. I wasn't sure if above the lake proper was considered "populated". He doesn't bother me (got semi-buzzed once) but these days surely someone will report him and get his liscense pulled.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
Long Bay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPlante
Hey Kevin:

What reg are you talking about? The only one I am aware of is 500' agl over uncongested and 1000' over congested. Have they changed something that I am not aware of?
Long Bay Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Sandy Beach

Arrow No Rules, Just Rights (w/appologies to Outback Rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Bay Guy
Hey Kevin:

What reg are you talking about? The only one I am aware of is 500' agl over uncongested and 1000' over congested. Have they changed something that I am not aware of?
As I recall, Ultralights do not have to follow rules. If there are any they are few and not like the rules for "real" aircraft. I too remember 500 feet and 1000' above ground level limits like Long Bay Guy for controlled aircraft. There are always changes, area restrictions and other considerations. What about it Kevin?

What rules do the TV helicopters run by that allows them to get low in many areas? Taking pictures by air of Lake activities and sightseeing are not uncommon. Low flying ultralights are not uncommon, I have been buzzed by a few while on the beach.

Sandy Beach
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point
"Can any one recommend any good cynic rides in the lake’s region?"
There are flights out of "White Mountain Airport" in North Conway.

madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
KevinPlante

Question about ultralights:

Ultralights are under 14CFR103. 14CFR103.7 says that ultralights are not required to meet airworthiness certification standards, and that operators of ultralights do not need to meet any knowledge, age or experience requirements and do not need medical certificates. 14CFR103.15 says that 'No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.' There is no such thing as an aircraft that does not have to follow FAA rules.

Aerobatic operations:

Obviously, 14CFR91.13 comes into play here, although it is very vague. Rules for aerobatic flight are better described in 14CFR91.303 Pretty much, no aerobatics are allowed over congested areas, over an open air assembly of persons, controlled airports, and a few other limitations.

TV helicopters, etc:

14CFR91.119(d) - helicopters may be operated at lower altitudes if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface.

Although I don't know for sure, I have heard many people say that the areas in yellow on sectional charts are the areas considered 'congested areas' that the regs refer to.

Designated mountainous areas are depicted in the AIM on figure 5-6-2. 2000' AGL is considered the minimum safe altitude for operations in designated mountainous areas. In addition, 14CFR91.119(a) says that you need to be at an altitude where, if a power unit fails, you can make an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

All of this is part of the Code of Federal Regulations, which means they are regulations, not laws. The only thing that can be done to the guy in the ultralight is to fine him if he operates contrary to the regs, as he does not have a pilot certificate that can be suspended or revoked.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #13
Drummer Boy

Hey Kevin, I'm with Long Bay Guy on this one unless there has been a change in the regulations...minimum altitude of 500 agl over uncongested areas and 1000 agl over congested areas
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:39 AM   #14
madrasahs

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point
"...Can any one recommend any good cynic rides in the lake’s region?
New Hampshire is losing its airports. White Mountain Airport is one of the victims. Rochester may be next, or Wolfeboro's Lakes Region Airpark should be gone next year. The NH legislature passed a law trying to save them, but developers have outspent the overworked, "understatuted" AG office.

There may be a floatplane outfit in Maine that does White Mountain/ Lakes Region scenic flights.

Pick your day/weather carefully. I'd suggest you fly before July or August. Summer's haze can make a "scenic flight" a disappointment -- although you can see the scenery directly below the aircraft.

Last edited by madrasahs; 05-11-2004 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added "smiley"
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #15
KevinPlante

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
There may be a floatplane outfit in Maine that does White Mountain/ Lakes Region scenic flights.
Lakes Region Air Service in Rangeley, ME

Their website