Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
aydinlik

Default Boating and weather advice

I am very new to boating. I recently purchased a 21 foot pontoon. I try to make sure the weather is good and calm for a newbie like me before i go out. However couple of time the weather got windy suddenly and scaring me and my kids. Today the boat took water a few times. One of the waves was so violent that it bent and popped the aluminum plate in front door out. I was fast but not too fast, maybe 15 mph. The boat has 90hp engine so it doesn't go so fast anyway. We live in broads so i can't avoid the open area.

Do you guys have any advice about when we should go out for boating for weather? Todays weather shows 10mps winds abd 15 nohs gusts. Is that too much for me?...my be i am not driving the boat propoerly? Yes i have a boating license.
aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
I am very new to boating. I recently purchased a 21 foot pontoon. I try to make sure the weather is good and calm for a newbie like me before i go out. However couple of time the weather got windy suddenly and scaring me and my kids. Today the boat took water a few times. One of the waves was so violent that it bent and popped the aluminum plate in front door out. I was fast but not too fast, maybe 15 mph. The boat has 90hp engine so it doesn't go so fast anyway. We live in broads so i can't avoid the open area.

Do you guys have any advice about when we should go out for boating for weather? Todays weather shows 10mps winds abd 15 nohs gusts. Is that too much for me?...my be i am not driving the boat propoerly? Yes i have a boating license.
If you live in the Broads, I would just look out the window, and if the Broads are calm, the rest of the lake is calm, you are good to go, nothing to be afraid of...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019), BroadHopper (02-18-2020)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:

Always add 50% more wind than what your local weathermen says. You are after all in more wide open area which allows the wind to pickup speed more quickly. For example according to my weather station here on the lake show today’s wind at average 15 mph with gusts to 21 mph.

I assume your 21’ pontoon is a double log boat and not a Tri-toon. I definitely would not want to be crossing the broads today in that boat!

Dan
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

We just got back and it is very rough out there today. I wouldn't suggest it. When you take the waves don't take them head on. Also go fast enough if you can to keep your bow up. Today is not good though. Stay put if you can.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:

I've got a 20' tritoon that replaced a 20' pontoon. The key with the length is weight distribution, especially with only two logs. If you were nosediving like that today, you probably had too much weight up front. I'm not out there to know how big the swells are, but there's not much I can't get through in my 20' tri with the right distribution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Always add 50% more wind than what your local weathermen says. You are after all in more wide open area which allows the wind to pickup speed more quickly. For example according to my weather station here on the lake show today’s wind at average 15 mph with gusts to 21 mph.

I assume your 21’ pontoon is a double log boat and not a Tri-toon. I definitely would not want to be crossing the broads today in that boat!

Dan
Thanks....i think my limit is 10mph. Yes it is double toon. Which local weathrr station you are referring to? How can i access to that?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Trim the motor up a little and you will get some bow rise. It will not be like a conventional V hull but it may help the boat to go over the waves rather than through them.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks....i think my limit is 10mph. Yes it is double toon. Which local weathrr station you are referring to? How can i access to that?

It’s my personal weather station I have at my camp on Welch. I can access it remotely and it gives very accurate wind, rain and weather data.

Dan
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've got a 20' tritoon that replaced a 20' pontoon. The key with the length is weight distribution, especially with only two logs. If you were nosediving like that today, you probably had too much weight up front. I'm not out there to know how big the swells are, but there's not much I can't get through in my 20' tri with the right distribution.

I and my wife were stting in the back. My kids were at front. I am on a heavier side. So two kids wouldnt make a half of me. My wife on the other hand is in great shape. She reads the froum so i want to make sure.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Trim the motor up a little and you will get some bow rise. It will not be like a conventional V hull but it may help the boat to go over the waves rather than through them.
Do what TiltonBB says when it's rough and you should notice a difference for the better. Experiment a little with the amount of rpm's and find a spot that the boat seems to handle the current conditions the best at, and just stay there, and/or adjust accordingly as needed. Also, just try steering the boat at different angles to get a feel for where it handles the conditions the best at. You may be surprised at the difference a slight angle (either way) can make at taking the chop, but best to get that bow up!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 09-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
I and my wife were stting in the back. My kids were at front. I am on a heavier side. So two kids wouldnt make a half of me. My wife on the other hand is in great shape. She reads the froum so i want to make sure.

With a tritoon, we have no more than our 2 kids up front--7 & 9. If I was in my old double--which had 25" logs--I would've had everyone in back in big chop.

Trimming up works so far as being able to make it between waves, but if rolling, and having weight in front, it'll just make the nose dive further. The goal, then, is 45° or a speed that lets you "skip" over the waves. Given your motor and double toons, the former will most likely be better.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

You can see current wind speed here:
https://www.ventusky.com/

You can tap on wind and move the cursor around different locations. It is fed by many personal weather stations. You can also shift the timeline at the bottom to see a forecast. However remember what Yogi said about predictions.

At weather underground you can see a 10 day forecast including wind.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...a/43.61,-71.46
Keeping in mind that wind is hard to predict the exception being presidential debates.

The NOAA app on my phone shows the current wind speed and direction at the Laconia airport.

As for the Broads in your boat I would stick to the 5 MPH wind range while you are gaining experience.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #13
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
With a tritoon, we have no more than our 2 kids up front--7 & 9. If I was in my old double--which had 25" logs--I would've had everyone in back in big chop.

Trimming up works so far as being able to make it between waves, but if rolling, and having weight in front, it'll just make the nose dive further. The goal, then, is 45° or a speed that lets you "skip" over the waves. Given your motor and double toons, the former will most likely be better.

That must be my problem. I will get everybody sit on the back next time. I have been using trimming last couple of weeks. It definetely helps but i have never had such bad hit before i start using trimming.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #14
stingray60

First, thanks for the Ventusky link. Didn't know that one.

Next, cap'n, mates, n passengers have to keep their cool when things get rough. Knowing what people need to do if things go wrong is the captain's responsibilty before you leave the dock.

Everyone must be wearing a flotation vest specially if it looks like rough stuff ahead. With children aboard you can't help them if you have to help yourself first. No way can they help you if you are not wearing a vest.

Teach them what to do if things go wrong or if something happens to you, and practice the drills at the dock and on the lake. Fear lessens if people know what to do before it happens. Learn three simple knots: half-hitch, bowline, clove-hitch. Their confidence will lessen your stress.

Take a boating safety class with your kids.

Keep a marine VHF radio aboard. A cell phone is not the right tool for the job.

My kids learned all of this very young. I insisted. Boating can be lots of fun but you and they have to know what to do when it isn't.
stingray60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stingray60 For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
You can see current wind speed here:
https://www.ventusky.com/

You can tap on wind and move the cursor around different locations. It is fed by many personal weather stations. You can also shift the timeline at the bottom to see a forecast. However remember what Yogi said about predictions.

At weather underground you can see a 10 day forecast including wind.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecas...a/43.61,-71.46
Keeping in mind that wind is hard to predict the exception being presidential debates.

The NOAA app on my phone shows the current wind speed and direction at the Laconia airport.

As for the Broads in your boat I would stick to the 5 MPH wind range while you are gaining experience.
Thanks for the good info. We have been on the lake for only a year. Are there many days with less than 5mph winds? We are at the lake house only on the weekends. I am just trying to understand if it will be possible for us to be boating rest of the year.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #16
XCR-700

Feeling safe and in control of your boat is a critical factor to truly enjoying your time on the water. And when you get to that point where you feel safe and always in control, you will enjoy your time so much more. So you need to think about more than just how to predict the wind on any day.

Wind is only part of the problem on weekends, the lake get churned up pretty bad by other boaters on Saturdays.

Also every boat rides different in rough wanter; our 20' Glastron ski boat is virtually unusable on Saturdays, our previous 23' Carlson was stern heavy and almost a flat bottom and you got pounded on a rough day, our 23' Caravelle was pretty good overall, and our 27' Formula is so much better than all my previous boats its hard to even describe the difference in spectrum from our ski boat to the Formula.

I have ZERO experience with pontoon boats, but the big tri-toons seem to do a whole lot better then a smaller and older twin pontoons when I see them crossing the lake in rough water.

I now try to take time off and boat during the week, it is totally different experience than any Saturday.

If you are only able to boat on Saturdays, try very early or very late in the day or think about a bigger and heaver boat. Life is short and time is our most precious and challenging to get commodity, so you need to figure out how to get what you need out of your time at the lake.

A couple of other quick final thoughts, as said by someone else add MPH to whatever wind speed any weather forecast says (they always seem wrong to me), and regardless of what the forecast says (i.e. forecast is for ZERO wind today) Winnipesaukee seems to create its own weather and wind mid-day that is never on the forecast. There is no such thing as a guarantee clouds and wind wont pop up at any time and you need to know that and ALWAYS be ready for it. It happens to me all the time, we finally moved up to a bigger boat in part because of this. So dont be surprised to find yourself thinking about an upgrade. Maybe try renting a bigger boat and see the difference for yourself, it usually pretty noticeable.

Good Luck and ENJOY your time on the lake.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #17
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray60 View Post
First, thanks for the Ventusky link. Didn't know that one.

Next, cap'n, mates, n passengers have to keep their cool when things get rough. Knowing what people need to do if things go wrong is the captain's responsibilty before you leave the dock.

Everyone must be wearing a flotation vest specially if it looks like rough stuff ahead. With children aboard you can't help them if you have to help yourself first. No way can they help you if you are not wearing a vest.

Teach them what to do if things go wrong or if something happens to you, and practice the drills at the dock and on the lake. Fear lessens if people know what to do before it happens. Learn three simple knots: half-hitch, bowline, clove-hitch. Their confidence will lessen your stress.

Take a boating safety class with your kids.

Keep a marine VHF radio aboard. A cell phone is not the right tool for the job.

My kids learned all of this very young. I insisted. Boating can be lots of fun but you and they have to know what to do when it isn't.
Thanks! I am reading this to my kids now. My son is 8 and my daughter is 11. I am hoping that they will be much better boater than me when they grow up. I was planning to gey get my wife to take boating safety class. Is there one for kids as well?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Feeling safe and in control of your boat is a critical factor to truly enjoying your time on the water. And when you get to that point where you feel safe and always in control, you will enjoy your time so much more. So you need to think about more than just how to predict the wind on any day.

Wind is only part of the problem on weekends, the lake get churned up pretty bad by other boaters on Saturdays.

Also every boat rides different in rough wanter; our 20' Glastron ski boat is virtually unusable on Saturdays, our previous 23' Carlson was stern heavy and almost a flat bottom and you got pounded on a rough day, our 23' Caravelle was pretty good overall, and our 27' Formula is so much better than all my previous boats its hard to even describe the difference in spectrum from our ski boat to the Formula.

I have ZERO experience with pontoon boats, but the big tri-toons seem to do a whole lot better then a smaller and older twin pontoons when I see them crossing the lake in rough water.

I now try to take time off and boat during the week, it is totally different experience than any Saturday.

If you are only able to boat on Saturdays, try very early or very late in the day or think about a bigger and heaver boat. Life is short and time is our most precious and challenging to get commodity, so you need to figure out how to get what you need out of your time at the lake.

A couple of other quick final thoughts, as said by someone else add MPH to whatever wind speed any weather forecast says (they always seem wrong to me), and regardless of what the forecast says (i.e. forecast is for ZERO wind today) Winnipesaukee seems to create its own weather and wind mid-day that is never on the forecast. There is no such thing as a guarantee clouds and wind wont pop up at any time and you need to know that and ALWAYS be ready for it. It happens to me all the time, we finally moved up to a bigger boat in part because of this. So dont be surprised to find yourself thinking about an upgrade. Maybe try renting a bigger boat and see the difference for yourself, it usually pretty noticeable.

Good Luck and ENJOY your time on the lake.
I was guessing that i might need an upgrade at some point as i learn more. Therefore i sticked to a used boat. Given that i just get this boat i need to learn to live with it for few years .

My biggest challange at the beginning was docking. I think i am getting much better at it. Now i need to learn how to deal with choppy waters with our life jackets on

Old 09-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
XCR-700

Quote:
I was guessing that i might need an upgrade at some point as i learn more. Therefore i sticked to a used boat. Given that i just get this boat i need to learn to live with it for few years .

My biggest challange at the beginning was docking. I think i am getting much better at it. Now i need to learn how to deal with choppy waters with our life jackets on

Well I think you said it right "might" no need to rush, there are lots of things to consider for a new boater before making any change.

Also know that there are lots of small and medium size boats on the lake and they do fine.

There is a funny balance between finding your personal comfort zone in boat size and determining your tolerance for rough ride and then your ability to plan your trips. It can take a while to get it all figured out, so know you are not the first person to struggle with all this, I think we all do.

Your plan to start small is also sound, I think its much easier to learn on an smaller boat before moving up. (others may disagree,,,)

Having a good sense of your limits and knowing that you dont know it all but want to learn tells my you will figure it all out and be fine.

Most of all, dont let a rough day on the water drag you down for too long. Get back on the boat and try again and get more time at the helm and most of all ENJOY.

I've been boating on Winnipesaukee since diapers, being there is almost medicinal. It just seems to cure all that ails me ;-) I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #20
8gv

Just keep practicing and be cautious of the wind.

Over time you will become more confident and competent.

If it gets rough, yell "weeeeeeeee!" and smile as the spray washes across your deck.

The kids look to the captain to decide if they should be worried.

Last edited by 8gv; 09-09-2019 at 06:30 AM.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default No bigger

You don't need a bigger boat, just more experience. Conditions this weekend were unusual, I'd say.
My family has lived on the broads (Welch Island) since 1950.
My first power boat was a 13' MFG, 18 hp. I was 12, and I went all over the lake by myself. I learned how to manage the boat in the wind and waves and to navigate at night. Later graduated to a 15' flat bottom, 50 hp.
My father taught me how to go with/against the wind, from shore or island to island to shore so I was always the shortest distance to safety or close to shore where the waves were less due to friction.
You can't learn this overnight or in a class. Regardless of wind and waves, I don't think there is a way to swamp a 'toon, although you can get very wet, at least your feet. No big deal. After you've buried the bow a couple of times, you will know this and have a lot of confidence in your boat, and yourself.
We don't require it of guests, but everybody in the family age 72-8 wears a PFD. The kids are required by law, but adults do it to set an example, and we aren't the strong swimmers we were 30 years ago. I find the vest type, like MP wears, to be comfortable; recommend those, especially if you go solo, say, fishing. And connect the kill switch lanyard.
Being safe will not diminish the fun, and being able to handle the weather will increase the number of bating days. Have fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-08-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #22
Patofnaud

Recently retired my 20' 70hp dual 'toon.

I've gone across the broads on a Saturday with 1 - 2 foot whitecaps, not fun, very tiring. Doable but not recommended.

Have folks sit to rear, trim nose up so you are not trying to be a torpedo. Best to stay closer to the side of the lake and not out in the middle.

Keep the speed up faster around what the waves are moving at. Too slow and you will nose dive into a trough. Too fast and you drive your colon into your kidneys.

First-year I had my 20' I did not know this, on a Saturday afternoon in Medideth Bay not far out from the Wears I slowed down to let a big Caver go past my bow, and the trough was so bad, I blew out my port side panel and had water dripping off the entire inside of my bimini. I probably took at least 6 inches of solid water over my front seats.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #23
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Recently retired my 20' 70hp dual 'toon.

I've gone across the broads on a Saturday with 1 - 2 foot whitecaps, not fun, very tiring. Doable but not recommended.

Have folks sit to rear, trim nose up so you are not trying to be a torpedo. Best to stay closer to the side of the lake and not out in the middle.

Keep the speed up faster around what the waves are moving at. Too slow and you will nose dive into a trough. Too fast and you drive your colon into your kidneys.

First-year I had my 20' I did not know this, on a Saturday afternoon in Medideth Bay not far out from the Wears I slowed down to let a big Caver go past my bow, and the trough was so bad, I blew out my port side panel and had water dripping off the entire inside of my bimini. I probably took at least 6 inches of solid water over my front seats.
Thanks. The boat took water inside before but the one on Sunday was really bad. Huge amount of water. What concerned me the most was the damage to the panel on front door. It popped out and dented. I am still trying to understand if the waves make the damage or door opened and hit something.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Think the key thing here is being new to this, with time you'll figure out how best to handle your boat in the conditions that you find yourself in and that is invaluable. The broads can be tricky and it doesn't take much wind to get things a little "nautical" out there. As the season winds down more care needs to be taken as if you get into trouble help maybe slow to arrive. Any time I head out after Columbus day I pretty much expect that I'm on my own should anything bad happen.

The weather reports that are given via National Weather on VHF depending on the station you pick up will actually provide not only lake water temps but also forecast expected wave\chop size. I know this is for sure broadcast on KZZ-41 @ 162.500 MHZ from the top of Mt Washington. I have that programmed into my HAM radio and refer to it on occasion as needed. I believe most if not all marine radios also have access to these broadcasts which to me are helpful as they also let you know when severe weather is threatening.

They broadcast information for both Lake Winnipesaukee and Sebago Lake.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #25
Donzi Minx

Thumbs up Boating and weather advice

Son #2 and I were launched at SS at around 9:30 yesterday. The cruise to Wolfboro was fairly tame, so we decided to jump to Winter Harbor, at that point even Winter Harbor had some chop. Cross the broads at 20 miles per hour in the Donzi deep vee was wet and painful. Settled on Paugus bay anchorage in the sand by the Margate had lunch, and begged the sun to come out from behind the clouds. Still a day on the lake is better than a day in Chelrose, Mass.!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #26
Patofnaud

Quote:
Thanks. The boat took water inside before but the one on Sunday was really bad. Huge amount of water. What concerned me the most was the damage to the panel on front door. It popped out and dented. I am still trying to understand if the waves make the damage or door opened and hit something.
Lucky it was just the front gate. A port side front Bennington panel on my 2011 cost about $400 just for the part and I still had to remove the port furniture to get it removed/replaced. Gate is a cheap lesson learned. You may also have to replace your plastic floor stop.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #27
jazzman

12mph is my magic number. We live on the broads too. It gets really hard to dock in 1+ foot swells if you're single handed on an exposed dock perpendicular to the wind.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #28
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
12mph is my magic number. We live on the broads too. It gets really hard to dock in 1+ foot swells if you're single handed on an exposed dock perpendicular to the wind.
WOW, never thought of that, as I dont live at the lake and most of the marinas are protected.

I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever find myself in a position to buy waterfront in retirement.

I can see how it could get real tricky, and cant imagine how much a new boater would struggle with that.

I'm sure there are some tricks of the trade, but I can see how it might take a bit of practice to become comfortable with it.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Son #2 and I were launched at SS at around 9:30 yesterday. The cruise to Wolfboro was fairly tame, so we decided to jump to Winter Harbor, at that point even Winter Harbor had some chop. Cross the broads at 20 miles per hour in the Donzi deep vee was wet and painful. Settled on Paugus bay anchorage in the sand by the Margate had lunch, and begged the sun to come out from behind the clouds. Still a day on the lake is better than a day in Chelrose, Mass.!
Made that trip in our CVX-20 many times and got beat-up plenty of them. But a few hours at that sandbar and all is right with the world ;-)

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-10-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #30
jazzman

Quote:
WOW, never thought of that, as I dont live at the lake and most of the marinas are protected.

I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever find myself in a position to buy waterfront in retirement.

I can see how it could get real tricky, and cant imagine how much a new boater would struggle with that.

I'm sure there are some tricks of the trade, but I can see how it might take a bit of practice to become comfortable with it.
My trick of the trade is my "o-sh**" rope. It's tied to bow and stearn cleats with 20 feet of slack tucked into the rear seat. If it's rough you get the nose of the boat to the dock, jump off and use the rope to haul the boat in.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #31
Descant

Quote:
My trick of the trade is my "o-sh**" rope. It's tied to bow and stern cleats with 20 feet of slack tucked into the rear seat. If it's rough you get the nose of the boat to the dock, jump off and use the rope to haul the boat in.
Being not so agile anymore, and not having access to the bow over the windshield, I bring the stern to the dock, get a line on a post, take a wrap and use the engine to pull the boat to the dock. The engine will hold the boat in place while other lines are fastened. Jumping onto a wet, slippery dock in the rain while engine is running and nobody is t the helm to control the boat is not my best move. I have a breakwater, but when the canvas is all up and the wind is blowing the boat sideways, I need to be able to back out and start over. Can't do that from the dock.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #32
WinniBreeze

Default Which weather station Dan?

Quote:
It’s my personal weather station I have at my camp on Welch. I can access it remotely and it gives very accurate wind, rain and weather data.

Dan
Dan ... I'm in the market for a weather station as well. Which one did you purchase? Thanks.
WinniBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #33
ishoot308

Default Lacrosse Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBreeze View Post
Dan ... I'm in the market for a weather station as well. Which one did you purchase? Thanks.
This is the one I have....

https://www.samsclub.com/p/professio...g/prod21391576

Dan
Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
XCR-700

Quote:
My trick of the trade is my "o-sh**" rope. It's tied to bow and stearn cleats with 20 feet of slack tucked into the rear seat. If it's rough you get the nose of the boat to the dock, jump off and use the rope to haul the boat in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Being not so agile anymore, and not having access to the bow over the windshield, I bring the stern to the dock, get a line on a post, take a wrap and use the engine to pull the boat to the dock. The engine will hold the boat in place while other lines are fastened. Jumping onto a wet, slippery dock in the rain while engine is running and nobody is t the helm to control the boat is not my best move. I have a breakwater, but when the canvas is all up and the wind is blowing the boat sideways, I need to be able to back out and start over. Can't do that from the dock.
WOW, both options sound tough to me.

I dont care for running to either end of the boat when docking, and I have never liked backing into a dock,,,

If I am docking by myself I usually have a line ready on my starboard midship cleat reach out from the helm and once I can get it around a post, the boat will usually stay put more than long enough to get out and get the bow and stern lines tied off.

But then I dont dock on the Broads in rough weather, so I tip my hat to you both.

Thanks for sharing your technique(s).
Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 AM   #35
ApS

Cool Having Grown Up on Lake Winnipesaukee...

Wind speed, as broadcast, is always less than actual wind on the lake.

As suggested, 12-MPH is a good threshold, especially as that speed is showing a few whitecaps. For sailing, that's a speed that's ideal! You can still sail in a wind at 5-MPH, when no wind appears--y'know, "when it's calm".

For docking in a breeze, there's a modified boat hook available that allows a single boater to drop a loop over a piling or upright.

As oversized boats are ruining Winnipesaukee boating and eroding shorelines, I'm loathe to suggest a larger boat; however, 'toons are especially Winnipesaukee-friendly boats.

Also, I see many of the larger 'toons managing heavy chop very well. On another lake, a neighbor had a passenger fall off their smaller pontoon. Fortunately, it occurred in a shallow canal. I recall the brand being an "Aqua-Patio" pontoon boat.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
Descant

Default For me, Stay with the boat

Quote:
WOW, both options sound tough to me.

I dont care for running to either end of the boat when docking, and I have never liked backing into a dock,,,

If I am docking by myself I usually have a line ready on my starboard midship cleat reach out from the helm and once I can get it around a post, the boat will usually stay put more than long enough to get out and get the bow and stern lines tied off.

But then I dont dock on the Broads in rough weather, so I tip my hat to you both.

Thanks for sharing your technique(s).
Your center cleat plan is perfect. I've had extra cleats added when the mfg failed to provide such. For me, Stay with the boat. If you're single handed and you drop the line or fall on your jump and the boat blows away, what's your Plan B ? It's like throwing a life ring without an attached line. If you miss, you can't retrieve it for another throw.
Initially, people will tell you "neutral is your friend" drift into the dock gently. Fine, if there is no wind or current. If there is wind and current, you need every tool, so shift, throttle and wheel coordination have to all function together. Hull shape factors in too. A traditional hull can be moved nearly sideways. Not so much a boat with a deep keel and single engine. A tritoon is like three keels. Great for stability, harder to move sideways.
BTW, backing into a slip (Med style docking), you're usually protected with pilings, etc, but you see many boaters hanging fenders on both sides of the boat before they start. If you want to back in, say at Meredith or Wolfeboro, the key is to back past the desired space and then dock going forward as you normally would. I've said this before: you don't back up a boat. It is much easier to think of it as driving the boat forward, stern first.

In our next episode, we'll talk about How to overcome helpful crew and dock bystanders. "To Taze or not to Taze?"
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #37
Phantom

Quote:
In our next episode, we'll talk about How to overcome helpful crew and dock bystanders. "To Taze or not to Taze?"
PLEASE give adequate notice before this episode !!!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #38
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

For docking in a breeze, there's a modified boat hook available that allows a single boater to drop a loop over a piling or upright.
I can't dare to go out single yet. I and my wife use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Loop-Lon.../dp/B00AS0264A

We love it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aydinlik For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (02-09-2020), XCR-700 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
Descant

Default Boat loop

Good for you and your wife. I've never seen one of these Boat Loops in person, so I'm glad to hear of success.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:

We love it
I have one of those in all my boats and they work great!

Sounds like your doing everything right, just need more time in the seat. You’ll be fine!

Dan
aydinlik (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
Cal Coon

Quote:

We love it
Pretty soon there will be fully automatic "driverless" boats, so no one will have anything to complain about, ie: wakes, right of way, speed, docking, NWZ, 150ft rule, wind, currents, etc, etc, and no one will have to learn how to do anything for themselves!! Just get on the boat, and let the boat do the rest!! Can't wait so everyone will be happy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
macbeth (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #42
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:

We love it
You can get one at Parafunalia in Gilford. Every boat should have one!

https://www.parafunalia.com/boatloop.html
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #43
XCR-700

Quote:
Ha, I cant wait to see that episode ;-)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #44
XCR-700

Quote:

We love it
Oh man, I am liking that gadget ;-)

THANKS!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #45
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Pretty soon there will be fully automatic "driverless" boats, so no one will have anything to complain about, ie: wakes, right of way, speed, docking, NWZ, 150ft rule, wind, currents, etc, etc, and no one will have to learn how to do anything for themselves!! Just get on the boat, and let the boat do the rest!! Can't wait so everyone will be happy...
Naah, there will always be something to set someone off. As a society we seem to crave conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #46
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I made my own

I made my own several years ago out of a length of aluminum tube and a loop made out of a coat hanger. Made loops on each end of the hanger and attached it to the tube with a through bolt and a wing nut.

A friend had one, and I liked the idea, so I made one for myself. Kind of a Rube Goldberg thing, but worked.

Dave
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #47
Hivolt

Wind direction plays as big a role as wind speed in the broads imo. I was in your situation 4 seasons ago as a brand new boater I decided to rent a place on the NW tip of rattlesnake. I fortunately had good weather during my first stay but having been to the same place multiple times a year for the last 3 seasons I’ve started to learn when is a good time to go out and when to stay put. When there’s a NW or N wind, all hell can break loose in the broads.

We ventured out to Wolfeboro Sunday morning for breakfast and left in a fairly calm West wind. When we exited Wolfeboro Bay We realized the wind had turned NW, we knew we were in for a rough ride and rough docking. While the place we stay has a protected dock the boat I purchased has high freeboard and loses the bow quickly.

I had 11-12 mph sustained winds on my wind gauge on rattlesnake with gusts to 16 which isn’t too bad.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #48
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
A friend had one, and I liked the idea, so I made one for myself. Kind of a Rube Goldberg thing, but worked.

Dave
Good idea! They are overly expensive for some reason.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #49
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivolt View Post
Wind direction plays as big a role as wind speed in the broads imo. I was in your situation 4 seasons ago as a brand new boater I decided to rent a place on the NW tip of rattlesnake. I fortunately had good weather during my first stay but having been to the same place multiple times a year for the last 3 seasons I’ve started to learn when is a good time to go out and when to stay put. When there’s a NW or N wind, all hell can break loose in the broads.

We ventured out to Wolfeboro Sunday morning for breakfast and left in a fairly calm West wind. When we exited Wolfeboro Bay We realized the wind had turned NW, we knew we were in for a rough ride and rough docking. While the place we stay has a protected dock the boat I purchased has high freeboard and loses the bow quickly.

I had 11-12 mph sustained winds on my wind gauge on rattlesnake with gusts to 16 which isn’t too bad.
Thanks for the good info.

I saw the following in another web site today . This was totally us last weekend.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #50
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Naah, there will always be something to set someone off. As a society we seem to crave conflict.

Ain't that the truth!!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #51
Hivolt

Quote:
Thanks for the good info.

I saw the following in another web site today . This was totally us last weekend.

I use the iWindsurf app on my phone or check out sailflow on the computer when I'm up there, Like most have said the forecasts aren't spot on for speed but they are usually pretty decent at forecasting direction. They also offer live wind maps.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-14-2019)
Old 02-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #52
XCR-700

Quote:
I have one of those in all my boats and they work great!

Dan
Re: https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Loop-Lon.../dp/B00AS0264A

Ok, so I am convinced I need one (or maybe 2) of these, but wondering what length people are using ???

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #53
Barney Bear

Default Loop-d-loop

We regularly use ours. It makes landing at our dock on East Bear Island much easier for the First Mate. We bought ours at Parafunalia in Gilford for less than is indicated on Amazon. 🐻
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #54
XCR-700

Do you know what length pole you bought?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #55
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Awesome. Just purchased the medium.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #56
garysanfran

Default Love it...

Mine is about 6' when extended. The ad says the "standard" extends your reach 19"...Not enough. I do a lot of single-handed boating and find this very valuable.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #57
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Awesome. Just purchased the medium.

Thats what I was thinking!

Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #58
fatlazyless

With items picked from the "metal area" at the Meredith Transfer Station plus maybe another ten dollars for items from the local hardware store, you could probably rig up a boat hook loop just like the one in the photo ......... and for the next 20 years, impress all your boat passengers by informing them how you didn't have to spend a lot of money for your boat hook/loop.

Quote: "Say ...... you know this here $125 boat hook/loop ...... well, guess what ..... it only cost me ...... like $8.17 ...... and it works just as well as the one for $125 ...... you know what I mean!" .....

Fetch a discarded roof rake from the dump, install some hardware store items like a stainless cable loop...... and you are good to go hook a dock!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:57 PM   #59
Barney Bear

Default Loop Length

In response to XCR-700, I just measured "the Boat Loop" which I brought home for the off-season. Fully extended, it is 64" long. 🐻
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #60
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
With items picked from the "metal area" at the Meredith Transfer Station plus maybe another ten dollars for items from the local hardware store, you could probably rig up a boat hook loop just like the one in the photo ......... and for the next 20 years, impress all your boat passengers by informing them how you didn't have to spend a lot of money for your boat hook/loop.

Quote: "Say ...... you know this here $125 boat hook/loop ...... well, guess what ..... it only cost me ...... like $8.17 ...... and it works just as well as the one for $125 ...... you know what I mean!" .....

Fetch a discarded roof rake from the dump, install some hardware store items like a stainless cable loop...... and you are good to go hook a dock!
Ha, well normally I would agree and be onboard for a challenge, truth is I probably have enough of the items in the house at the moment, but karma being what it is, EVERY time I try to save a buck on something like this it backfires in my face. So for such items I now just give up and buy the commercial product and avoid the potential problems of failure with some home-made item that I will be asking others to use (my wife - other passengers - etc)

Maybe if I was the only one using it I might take the chance, and I encourage others to give it a try and tell me how stupid I am for blowing a bunch of cash on a simple product, but I'm just too old and tired to deal with the consequences of trying to save a buck, it just never works for me.

Suggestion genuinely appreciated, just too risk averse these days.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #61
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
In response to XCR-700, I just measured "the Boat Loop" which I brought home for the off-season. Fully extended, it is 64" long. 🐻
And you are happy with this length???

Thanks ;-)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #62
Barney Bear

Default Happy As A Clam

The 64" length is sufficient for our situation, and is easy for the First Mate to handle. We use it at our East Bear Island dock as well as the dock at our mainland slip at FBY. 🐻
XCR-700 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #63
Descant

Default Lasso?

Quote:
Ha, well normally I would agree and be onboard for a challenge, truth is I probably have enough of the items in the house at the moment, but karma being what it is, EVERY time I try to save a buck on something like this it backfires in my face. So for such items I now just give up and buy the commercial product and avoid the potential problems of failure with some home-made item that I will be asking others to use (my wife - other passengers - etc)

Maybe if I was the only one using it I might take the chance, and I encourage others to give it a try and tell me how stupid I am for blowing a bunch of cash on a simple product, but I'm just too old and tired to deal with the consequences of trying to save a buck, it just never works for me.

Suggestion genuinely appreciated, just too risk averse these days.
Use your existing line like a lasso. Put the bitter end through the braided loop and make loop about 3' in diameter. Throw/drop it over the post and pull tight, fasten to a cleat. Save $8.17 or $125, as you please. Use power on to hold you against the dock while other lines are tended to.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #64
NHskier

Shurhold makes an attachment for use with a boat hook to make a loop in a dock line that can then be draped over a piling.
XCR-700 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #65
XCR-700

Quote:
Use your existing line like a lasso. Put the bitter end through the braided loop and make loop about 3' in diameter. Throw/drop it over the post and pull tight, fasten to a cleat. Save $8.17 or $125, as you please. Use power on to hold you against the dock while other lines are tended to.
Problem is my wife is usually the one on the bow, and not likely to make the connection when throwing from the boat. More often than not I end up just reaching out from the helm and grabbing a post mid-ship and hanging on until she can get a rope tied off on the front, then I deal with the back end.

So the pole may be a frivolous purchase, but anything that makes boating easier on my wife, makes boating easier on me ;-)

When we were running smaller boats like our Glastron CVX everything was simpler, but our Formula is a more challenging to stuff into the always crowded spaces on Winnipesaukee docks.

Some days I just watch the various docking maneuvers and cringe,,, and anything that keeps us from being "that person" is a welcomed addition.

End of season last year we were on the dock in Wolfeboro and the guy in front of us was backing up and lost his footing, fell down in the boat and only jumped up and slammed it in to forward maybe 1 second before crashing into us. No harm done, but we watched helplessly in horror fearing a collision. Not saying the loop will save us from similar events, but if it helps in any way and makes my wife feel like she has more control its worth it to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (03-01-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #66
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
Shurhold makes an attachment for use with a boat hook to make a loop in a dock line that can then be draped over a piling.
Thanks!

Not sure about that one, but I did see this one as a possible alternative https://www.amazon.com/Dockit-Boat-H...TZMAMM7QB72QNR
Old 02-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #67
Descant

Quote:
Problem is my wife is usually the one on the bow, and not likely to make the connection when throwing from the boat. More often than not I end up just reaching out from the helm and grabbing a post mid-ship and hanging on until she can get a rope tied off on the front, then I deal with the back end.

So the pole may be a frivolous purchase, but anything that makes boating easier on my wife, makes boating easier on me ;-)

When we were running smaller boats like our Glastron CVX everything was simpler, but our Formula is a more challenging to stuff into the always crowded spaces on Winnipesaukee docks.

Some days I just watch the various docking maneuvers and cringe,,, and anything that keeps us from being "that person" is a welcomed addition.

End of season last year we were on the dock in Wolfeboro and the guy in front of us was backing up and lost his footing, fell down in the boat and only jumped up and slammed it in to forward maybe 1 second before crashing into us. No harm done, but we watched helplessly in horror fearing a collision. Not saying the loop will save us from similar events, but if it helps in any way and makes my wife feel like she has more control its worth it to me.
Having started boating way before there were bow-riders, it would never occur to me to have somebody in the bow. There's much better stability for crew in the back, at least in my boats where you can brace your thighs against the gunwale. That doesn't work quite as well on a 'toon where the gunwales are lined with seats. What do you do when it rains and the canvas covers the bow? What do you do when you are single handing? The helmsman can throw the loop (or use the tool we're discussing) over a post and attach it to the cleat that you installed within easy reach of the helm. I know folks who have gotten nasty splinters and other injuries trying to garb and hang onto a post from a boat that moves unexpectedly due to wind, wave, or current.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #68
camp guy

Default Boating and weather advice

I really don't have a comment about the boat hook device, but I do want to say that many boaters arrive at the dock unprepared to make a smooth landing. The most common error I see is that boaters don't have the appropriate lines available when approaching the dock. I have seen decent-sized boats try to make a landing using 6' bow and stern lines (or less). When I was boating I always had a bow line and a stern line long enough to reach the length of the boat, and then used other, more reasonably lengthed lines to actually tie the boat to the dock. The first order of business at the dock it to get alongside the dock, safely, then worry about typing the boat to the dock. Just my two pennies worth.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #69
XCR-700

Quote:
Having started boating way before there were bow-riders, it would never occur to me to have somebody in the bow. There's much better stability for crew in the back, at least in my boats where you can brace your thighs against the gunwale. That doesn't work quite as well on a 'toon where the gunwales are lined with seats. What do you do when it rains and the canvas covers the bow? What do you do when you are single handing? The helmsman can throw the loop (or use the tool we're discussing) over a post and attach it to the cleat that you installed within easy reach of the helm. I know folks who have gotten nasty splinters and other injuries trying to garb and hang onto a post from a boat that moves unexpectedly due to wind, wave, or current.
Re; Having started boating way before there were bow-riders

Same here, dont even think our early glastrons had floors let alone bow seating, well not floors like we have now ;-)

As for having some one on the bow during docking, no idea what you are talking about, depending on the size of the boat they have people on the bow and stern at the same time. simply google boat docking or look at any manufacturers image gallery and you can find more pictures and videos than you can possibly look at/watch. and in the case of our Formula, a section of the front seat is removable to let you right up to the gunwale and its pretty deep in that section of the boat, so anyone standing there has solid footing and a can brace themselves against a solid surface.

So if you have no one in the front and dont ever grab a post, you must get the boat the stern of the boat against the dock for someone in the back to tie off and then what power it into the dock to keep the nose in until you can tie it off? Not the easiest method on full docks like Wolfeboro or Meredith.

Or maybe you have thrusters? We do not,,, But with this boats being almost 30' OAL with the swim platform, I can see the value in thrusters on Winnipesaukee.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #70
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I really don't have a comment about the boat hook device, but I do want to say that many boaters arrive at the dock unprepared to make a smooth landing. The most common error I see is that boaters don't have the appropriate lines available when approaching the dock. I have seen decent-sized boats try to make a landing using 6' bow and stern lines (or less). When I was boating I always had a bow line and a stern line long enough to reach the length of the boat, and then used other, more reasonably lengthed lines to actually tie the boat to the dock. The first order of business at the dock it to get alongside the dock, safely, then worry about typing the boat to the dock. Just my two pennies worth.
Not so sure about the lines needing to be the length of the boat, with our boat at 27' plus, but I agree, too many do not have long enough lines. Mine are 25' long, but in truth I think 20' would be ok.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #71
kauriel

Quote:

We love it
I have terrible aim and short arms so my husband made me cheaper version - it's just rope through some rubber tubing tied in a big loop so that I can toss it over top of post when we approach dock. It's not quite as good as boat loop but it was much cheaper!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #72
Barney Bear

Default Line Length

Our bow lines are shorter than the boat length. If a secured line happens to drop off the boat while under way, it does not become wrapped around the prop.
camp guy (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #73
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default On my Mariah...

On my 25 ft Mariah bowrider, I used 25 ft bow and stern lines, and generally used a 15 ft line for the mid-cleat. Also carried a couple extra of each length.

Dave
Old 02-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #74
persistence

Learning when to go and not to go will
Just take some practice. It’s not fun to Load up the boat and have a small hurricane show up.

I like the shurhold ext pole. I have a paddle attachment, brushes and boat hook. Great space saver on a small boat. https://shurhold.com/products/telescoping-handles

I also find it helpful to leave my lines set at the dock. I keep a set on the boat for travel. This does a few things.

The dock lines are always the same length and just need some adjusting from time to time.

Almost anyone in the boat can help grab a line now and hold it or just put it on a cleat.

Saves time setting up lines stowing etc when docking. Particularly helpful when it’s windy and the last thing you want to worry about is if you’re lines are set.

Good luck. Have fun and patience. You’ll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #75
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by persistence View Post
Learning when to go and not to go will
Just take some practice. It’s not fun to Load up the boat and have a small hurricane show up.

I like the shurhold ext pole. I have a paddle attachment, brushes and boat hook. Great space saver on a small boat. https://shurhold.com/products/telescoping-handles

I also find it helpful to leave my lines set at the dock. I keep a set on the boat for travel. This does a few things.

The dock lines are always the same length and just need some adjusting from time to time.

Almost anyone in the boat can help grab a line now and hold it or just put it on a cleat.

Saves time setting up lines stowing etc when docking. Particularly helpful when it’s windy and the last thing you want to worry about is if you’re lines are set.

Good luck. Have fun and patience. You’ll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also leave lines attached to the dock in my slip, I cannot imagine that many people don't though. It would take 15 to 30 minutes to get the lines all adjusted correctly every time I came back to my slip if I did not do that... We often get a lot of wind at my marina and always get a lot of current that reverses twice a day, so I tie the boat up with 6 lines that are all a little loose if the boat is not being pushed around by current or wind. Getting that perfect amount of slack so that no single line takes the majority of the load is challenging.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #76
Flyfisha

Default Lines at slip

Just a word to the wise. If you leave lines attached at a slip secure them with a romex electrical staple. Came back to the slip more than one and found them gone!!
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #77
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisha View Post
Just a word to the wise. If you leave lines attached at a slip secure them with a romex electrical staple. Came back to the slip more than one and found them gone!!
That would make me livid. Not a problem at my marina, so far.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote