Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Lowe's Home Improvement Stores - NH

Most likely in my humble opinion, the Lowe's-Gilford will not be suffering the same fate as the Lowe's-Manchester. Today's Union Leader has a headline article http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/710179959 on the closing of the Lowe's down in Manchester. It just seems to me that the deep strength of the lakes region's home maintenance, repairs, up-grades, and remodeling will keep the Lowe's-Gilford open and operating as a very happy store.

The Gilford Lowe's is an incredibly good store for a long list of reasons that includes their freebie coffee in a cheapie foam cup, and I would truly hate to ever see it get closed down. Three cheers for the Lowe's in Gilford!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Scott

The Lowes in Gilford has no competition as far as I can see so they'll probably be fine. I hope they don't close... the thought of having to go down to the Tilton Home Depot every time I need something is too terrifying to think about.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Having lived in Manchester most of my life and visiting home improvement stoers like HD and Lowes on a regular basis,I actually forgot that Lowes had a store in Manchester.You know what they say about location?Bad one for that one.The Hooksett one had a great traffic and highway access but was located on top of a giant wall they built.Not passerby traffic friendly at all.The Bedford one is built the same.I tend to stay away from both of those I guess for that reason.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

According to this morning's news, the Biddeford store was also closed last night.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Steveo

As well as the Haverhill, MA store
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Scott

list of all stores being closed.

http://investor.shareholder.com/lowe...&openNews=true
Greene's Basin Girl (10-17-2011), LIforrelaxin (10-24-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
CateP

Default Lowes CEO Quote

Quote:
"Closing stores is never easy, given the impact on hard-working employees and local communities," said Robert A. Niblock, chairman, president and CEO. "However, we have an obligation to make tough decisions when necessary to improve profitability and strengthen our financial position."
Not to get political or anything , but I think this is really sad. I work for a publically traded company and have seen colleagues laid off so the company can improve the bottom line for shareholders. These were colleagues with little kids to raise.

Three NH stores are closing. I feel for the employees and families who are affected.

Wondering...was there ever a time in our history when companies said "while we may not have been as profitable as we like this past year, we wanted to keep our employees working...it was the right thing to do."
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Not to get political or anything , but I think this is really sad. I work for a publically traded company and have seen colleagues laid off so the company can improve the bottom line for shareholders. These were colleagues with little kids to raise.

Three NH stores are closing. I feel for the employees and families who are affected.

Wondering...was there ever a time in our history when companies said "while we may not have been as profitable as we like this past year, we wanted to keep our employees working...it was the right thing to do."
I too don't want to turn this into an OCCUPY WINNIPESAUKEE thread but companies are in business to turn a profit. Shareholders have the right to expect that the board of directors and mangement at a company they invest their money into to protect their investment. Investors have children to feed, or retirement income they expect to live on too.

I'm sure some companies do the "right thing", as you say. But it is more difficult for a public company to ignore the shareholders. If you want an example of a company (single owner) with a heart, there was factory in Mass. I believe that burned down several years ago. The owner kept all the employees on the payroll while the factory was being rebuilt. Perhaps someone can find the company I am talking about and post it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
bclaker

The company that burned was Malden Mills in Methuen, Mass. The owner was Aaron Feuerstein. Click below for the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNL9xIiwB1E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malden_Mills

Last edited by bclaker; 10-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (10-24-2011), Pineedles (10-17-2011), Ropetow (10-17-2011), SteveA (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
fpartri497

Default store closings

Who Is next? In case you havent noticed There is a trend happening all accross the country. company after company is closing. we had all better lear how to speak chinese.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Who Is next? In case you havent noticed There is a trend happening all accross the country. company after company is closing. we had all better lear how to speak chinese.

all the predictions of 2012 are coming true sad to say but we all should take note of what is going on? not saying nobody is "paying attention" however the facts are terrifying.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default The numbers

The Hooksett store was losing money and the Manchester store was barely breaking even. I can understand closing the Hooksett store but I would have expected them to keep the Manchester store operating with the hope that the economy would pick up and it would become profitable in the future.

The Gilford store does about 25% more business than the Manchester store did and is not on the chopping block.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
The company that burned was Malden Mills in Methuen, Mass. The owner was Aaron Feuerstein. Click below for the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNL9xIiwB1E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malden_Mills
Mr Feuerstein's plan was not successful as he ultimately drove the company into bankruptcy (not once but actually twice). I believe another outfit picked up the pieces the second time and it is operating as a smaller organization with different management, new capital, etc. Unfortunately, companies that don't cut expenses when faced with adversity often find themselves bankrupt.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

The Gilford Lowe's is an incredibly good store for a long list of reasons that includes their freebie coffee in a cheapie foam cup, and I would truly hate to ever see it get closed down. Three cheers for the Lowe's in Gilford!
Ok we are in Gilford Lowe's quite often, well not normally more than 3 time a week, but never noticed the free coffee. We will have to look for it in the morning after coming in from Welch. We must need some screws or something.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Mr Feuerstein's plan was not successful as he ultimately drove the company into bankruptcy (not once but actually twice). I believe another outfit picked up the pieces the second time and it is operating as a smaller organization with different management, new capital, etc. Unfortunately, companies that don't cut expenses when faced with adversity often find themselves bankrupt.
Thank you for following up on the story secondcurve! I didn't know about the final outcome. It just supports my position even further. If Mr Feuerstein had laid off a percentage of his employees while waiting for his factory to be rebuilt, perhaps all of his former employees could be employed today and Mr. Feuerstein could have expanded and hired new employees.

Oh how I would love to continue to debate this issue further. But I won't here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (10-18-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
AB_Monterey

Since we're discussing Malden Mills...

Feuerstein did indeed pay his employees while they were shut down. Malden did manage to get some production up a short time later and requested employees come back to work in a role that might not have been what they had been doing prior to the fire.

Many refused and chose to stay home and get paid anyway.

So much for doing the right thing.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post

As long as we have unions we will lose manufacturing jobs to Asia / S. America / etc... , that is hardly anything new, get used to it. If we keep losing the technology jobs to Asia / India then we really have to worry.
We cannot survive long term on service and govt subsidized industires (defense, teachers, CCC type construction) alone. What to do?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-18-2011), BroadHopper (10-20-2011), MAXUM (11-17-2011), RailroadJoe (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #18
Irish mist

Lowe's shadowing of Home Depot, and placing a store every place that HD was located, was a lazy excuse for a business plan. It's coming back to bite them now. Most Lowe's have too many people working in their stores. I was there today & there seemed like and endless stream of workers just strolling about & talking with their fellow workers like it was a holiday.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Lowe's shadowing of Home Depot, and placing a store every place that HD was located, was a lazy excuse for a business plan.
Sounds like the major drug store chains!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sounds like the major drug store chains!
And fast food outfits and automobile dealers, etc. It wasn't the store location strategy that doomed them it was the overly rosy assumptions about future growth that was the killer. Nothing grows to the moon.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #21
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
The Lowes in Gilford has no competition as far as I can see so they'll probably be fine. I hope they don't close... the thought of having to go down to the Tilton Home Depot every time I need something is too terrifying to think about.
If it does close there is another Lowes down past Home Depot in Tilton after you cross over the highway on the right hand side. There is a Chili's and Pizza Hut out front.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Default compare?

Quote:
Have you ever actually compared Lowes to Boulia Gorrell? The wood is of a much higher quality and usually as cheap if not cheaper, their screws, nails and misc hardware are generally CHEAPER than at Lowes or HD. When you buy plumbing supplies you might get the copper pipe cheaper at Lowes but all those fittings are usually priced higher than a local hardware store will sell them for. Yes on power tools you might save some but good luck getting technical support. Most of those working at Lowes or HD have little or no knowledge of what they are selling.
I believe if you compared instead of just automatically assuming that everything is cheaper just because of one of two things you might be surprised.
On top of that you support local business owners who tend to spend that money in the local community. I do go in quite often when it’s easier, not cheaper, just to pick up drywall mud or a small tool or fitting (but usually it’s for a job and the customer is paying not me and it’s cheaper than driving the extra 15 minutes).
On Monday thru Friday the place is empty.
I’d not miss Lowes one bit if they closed down.
Besides, then maybe a Market Basket would occupy the empty spot then that would be a big boost to the local economy.
Honestly take some time one day compare prices and I believe you will be surprised.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-18-2011), BroadHopper (10-20-2011), Reilly (10-18-2011), Sunrise Point (10-18-2011), tis (10-18-2011), Winnisquamguy (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
donnamatrix

Default No such thing as Chinese language

Chinese is really a "family" of languages/dialects ... primarily Mandarin and Cantonese ... but people don't speak "Chinese" per se
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
livenh

Default Lowe's VS. HD

There is just no competition in my mind between Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's is so much better. The employees are friendlier and more helpful, they seem to have better stock on hand, just all round better.

Yes, the smaller places are great however you just cannot find it all under one roof. I, for one, would rather make one stop. Oh, I am a 60ish woman and I stop at Lowe's just to look around!
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Have you ever actually compared Lowes to Boulia Gorrell? The wood is of a much higher quality and usually as cheap if not cheaper, their screws, nails and misc hardware are generally CHEAPER than at Lowes or HD. When you buy plumbing supplies you might get the copper pipe cheaper at Lowes but all those fittings are usually priced higher than a local hardware store will sell them for. Yes on power tools you might save some but good luck getting technical support. Most of those working at Lowes or HD have little or no knowledge of what they are selling.
I believe if you compared instead of just automatically assuming that everything is cheaper just because of one of two things you might be surprised.
On top of that you support local business owners who tend to spend that money in the local community. I do go in quite often when it’s easier, not cheaper, just to pick up drywall mud or a small tool or fitting (but usually it’s for a job and the customer is paying not me and it’s cheaper than driving the extra 15 minutes).
On Monday thru Friday the place is empty.
I’d not miss Lowes one bit if they closed down.
Besides, then maybe a Market Basket would occupy the empty spot then that would be a big boost to the local economy.
Honestly take some time one day compare prices and I believe you will be surprised.
I haven't automatically assumed anything. I'm aware you can find some items for less elsewhere (like Trustworthy) and like a good majority of people that go to Lowes, the lumber isn't exactly the main attraction. For me personally, the one-stop shopping convenience and location of the Gilford Lowes is unbeatable and their garden/landscaping/nursery department is excellent- minus their tendency to occasionally stock plants like Blue Atlas Cedar which have zero chance of surviving here.

And I'm pretty sure that if Lowes shut down, it'd just go back to being an abandoned empty lot like before, or maybe the Gilford Walmart would move over. I like options as much as the next guy, but I have to doubt this area could support having three major grocery stores within spitting distance of each other.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
As long as we have unions we will lose manufacturing jobs to Asia / S. America / etc... , that is hardly anything new, get used to it. If we keep losing the technology jobs to Asia / India then we really have to worry.
We cannot survive long term on service and govt subsidized industires (defense, teachers, CCC type construction) alone. What to do?
Only 11.9 % of the US workforce is a member of a union.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics.

None of the Lowe's in question had union employees.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
Rolie

Quote:
I haven't automatically assumed anything. I'm aware you can find some items for less elsewhere (like Trustworthy) and like a good majority of people that go to Lowes, the lumber isn't exactly the main attraction. For me personally, the one-stop shopping convenience and location of the Gilford Lowes is unbeatable and their garden/landscaping/nursery department is excellent- minus their tendency to occasionally stock plants like Blue Atlas Cedar which have zero chance of surviving here.

And I'm pretty sure that if Lowes shut down, it'd just go back to being an abandoned empty lot like before, or maybe the Gilford Walmart would move over. I like options as much as the next guy, but I have to doubt this area could support having three major grocery stores within spitting distance of each other.
Ford UAW union members just this week ratified a new 4 year contract that will create 12,000 new jobs to the US. Part of the agreement is to bring some of the manufacturing plants back to the US.
Damned unions!
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default Complacency

Quote:

Unfortunately that is what all these big box stores have driven us to Scott.
I meet people all over the lakes region that will not shop at Lowes or HD garden center because of the quality of the products.
Some have said that many, but not all, of the nurseries have better pricing and always much healthier plants.
Now take the Husqvarna chain saws that HD sells. The ones sold by HD are actually Poulan chain saws marketed under the Husqvarna name. Husqvarna owns Poulan so it is perfectly legal but never the less a scam because everyone knows that Poulan chain saws are only good for light service while a real Husky or Stihl chainsaw is for commercial work.
Now as for a Market Basket, there would not be 3 stores because Market Basket would shut at least one of them down.
I can buy the same products maybe different names and spend $200 at Shaw’s or Hannaford’s and spend on average 40-50 less at Market Basket.
That is whey many from the Laconia area will travel to the Tilton MB.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
robmac

Doesn't or didn't Pepper work at Lowes,if so I hope she and her family aren't affected by the closings.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #30
Mirror Lake's BB

Default And they manufacture...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Is there something I'm missing? I don't think the Lowes stores in question "manufacture" anything.

And believe me, I am upset at all the manufacturing that we have lost; and not necessarily due to unions.

Last edited by Mirror Lake's BB; 10-19-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default She had already retired earlier this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Doesn't or didn't Pepper work at Lowes,if so I hope she and her family aren't affected by the closings.
...but anyone who knows Pepper knows she is affected by the thought of those people losing their jobs. She undoubtably has friends in the three NH stores, and is truly saddened by their misfortune.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Tired of Waiting

Default They all ahve their problems BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by livenh View Post
There is just no competition in my mind between Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's is so much better. The employees are friendlier and more helpful, they seem to have better stock on hand, just all round better.

Yes, the smaller places are great however you just cannot find it all under one roof. I, for one, would rather make one stop. Oh, I am a 60ish woman and I stop at Lowe's just to look around!
Mrs ToW and I are remodeling our kitchen. We purchase the cabinets from Lowe's. They were the diamond brand. We have been out af a working kitchen for over a month now because of problems with the product.

First the Lazy Sue was out of square so a new one had to be ordered. That kept me from installing the base cabs for three weeks. Then the one over the stove was 3 inches short. Had to reorder that. Now we found that the replacement lazy sue has a different spin style table and had to reorder that. Still waiting for it.

The only thing is the Lowe's reps at the factory are very good and have not questioned any problem we reported. They simply reorder the cabs at "NO COST " to us. That still doesn't make the project go any faster.

I have simular problem with HD and local private shops. They all ahve their problems.

ToW

P.S. any one need a couple Lazy sue corner cabs without doors?? I've got two extras now.
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #33
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...but anyone who knows Pepper knows she is affected by the thought of those people losing their jobs. She undoubtably has friends in the three NH stores, and is truly saddened by their misfortune.
You are correct. Although I retired from Lowe's earlier this year, I am deeply saddened. I have many friends throughout not only NH/MA/ME, but also in IL and CA, who are now without jobs. It's been an extremely difficult week.

It's been a year's worth of "changes" for Lowe's, beginning in January when they eliminated 1700 middle-management positions. Then they closed 7 stores three months ago, followed by a complete restructuring of their Districts and Regions, which eliminated several hundred more jobs. Then, this most recent round of closures, which resulted in 1950 more jobs lost.

They built way too many stores over the past five years, never backing down on their desire to beat out HD. Sadly, they should have pulled in the reins a long time ago. My heart goes out to all the dedicated people who worked so hard to try and make those stores turn a profit.

Lowe's is not alone right now, though. Charming Brands - the parent company of Fashion Bug is currently preparing to shutter at least 20 locations, and GAP is preparing to close 200 - yes - Two Hundred locations. It's a real tough time to be in the retail business.
Just Sold (10-22-2011), LIforrelaxin (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #34
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
Ford UAW union members just this week ratified a new 4 year contract that will create 12,000 new jobs to the US. Part of the agreement is to bring some of the manufacturing plants back to the US.
Damned unions!

So we have to look at the definition of 'Create'.

Creating 12k jobs infers these jobs did not exist previously. However, you then say the plan is to bring jobs back to the US. This means they were at some point already here, and were sent to whatever foreign market they ended up in where labor conditions are more favorable. The fact a few jobs came back doesn't change what caused them to leave in the first place.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #35
fatlazyless

Default ....a little pity for the lakes region!

When I think of Lowe's, about all I think about is the Lowe's in Gilford, NH, since that's the only Lowe's store I ever use, and it is one super-duper store! About the only new addition that store could use is more customers but that is pretty much just a reflection of the down & out life style of living in the lakes region, all year round......you know what I mean......jellybean!

Oh pity, pity, pity ....... on all us poor lakes regions folks....oh pity.....pity....on all us poor folks.....boo-hoo!!! .....!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

They built way too many stores over the past five years, never backing down on their desire to beat out HD. Sadly, they should have pulled in the reins a long time ago. My heart goes out to all the dedicated people who worked so hard to try and make those stores turn a profit.
This is indeed the problem many chains are facing... They build so rapidly for several years trying to gain control in various area's. All one has to do is look the attleboro / plainville area of Massachusetts, separated by maybe 5 miles are two Lowes locations.

But it is not just Lowe's many store will be following suit I am sure...

As for Lowe's in Gilford, I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.... it is Geographically just in a good location.....
Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #37
CateP

Default Connections

I think we can all agree that if our economy was in better shape and more people had jobs , they could buy things and all these store closings may not be happening. Lowes may have been too ambitious about opening stores, but when the housing boom was going on it probably made sense.

It's interesting to me to see how so many things are interconnected in our economy... like a spider's web. It feels like one of those important anchoring threads has come loose and the whole integrity of the web is in question.
Attached Images

Last edited by CateP; 10-24-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: picture
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #38
TOAD

Quote:
like a spider's web. It feels like one of those important anchoring threads has come loose and the whole integrity of the web is in question.
Yes it is.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

When someone tells me that a union is "creating" jobs.....I am very suspicious.
What they usually create is more and bigger benifits for themselves at the consumers expense.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-25-2011), Charlie T (10-24-2011), MaidenCove07 (11-16-2011), nicole (10-25-2011), RailroadJoe (10-25-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (11-02-2011), Sunrise Point (10-24-2011), tis (10-24-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #40
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
What they usually create is more and bigger benifits for themselves at the consumers expense.

TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #41
TOAD

Quote:

The most heavily unionized sector of the the US workforce is the public "government" sector.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/business/23labor.html

This is one of the reasons why the federal, state and local governments are so far in debt, estimated at 4 trillion dollars (just for the states) of unfunded pay and pension liabilities.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
MaidenCove07 (11-16-2011), RailroadJoe (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #42
Rolie

Default Creating jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I think that the term "creating jobs" is a misnomer....nobody creates jobs. What Ford and the UAW agreed to was wage concessions that is based on a 2 tiered pay system...basically, new employees don't get paid like the existing workers, their pay rate is lower. And the existing workers gave up increases in lieu of bonuses based on overall performance of the company. With these concessions, Ford agreed to spend millions revamping some of the factories in the US that will allow them to bring back some jobs that were previously sent overseas....to the tune of about 12,000 jobs that don't today exist in this country.
I don't work for Ford, never did, unless you count 8 years at 2 Lincoln Mercury dealerships. I have and do own Ford products and like them, and I do own a number of Ford shares which are doing very well right now.
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #43
extremenewenglander

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Chinese is really a "family" of languages/dialects ... primarily Mandarin and Cantonese ... but people don't speak "Chinese" per se
Tell that to my Chinese exchange student?
extremenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #44
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

This is one of the reasons why the federal, state and local governments are so far in debt, estimated at 4 trillion dollars (just for the states) of unfunded pay and pension liabilities.
This is an absurd conclusion. If any fund is underfunded then funds were not placed into the find as was supposed to be or funds were removed.

The reality is that the state governments were and are 'stealing' the pension funds to pay other bills.

If you are of the mind that there are too many state employees that is another argument. Run for office on that platform. Or support candidates that avow to lower or cut the number of state employees. You can start with the state police. Public works employees. Department of Environmental Services. Cut them. Go ahead.

Don't cut the number of secretaries and administrative assistants at the NH Supreme Court though as that has already been tried by former Governor Benson. He did just that. And justice was delayed and all were hired back.

To claim that the state pension fund is underfunded because of the number of state employees is just plain absurd. The fund may be underfunded but it is the state legislature that agreed to raid the monies and use those pension funds for other reasons.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #45
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
This is an absurd conclusion. If any fund is underfunded then funds were not placed into the find as was supposed to be or funds were removed.

The reality is that the state governments were and are 'stealing' the pension funds to pay other bills.

If you are of the mind that there are too many state employees that is another argument. Run for office on that platform. Or support candidates that avow to lower or cut the number of state employees. You can start with the state police. Public works employees. Department of Environmental Services. Cut them. Go ahead.

Don't cut the number of secretaries and administrative assistants at the NH Supreme Court though as that has already been tried by former Governor Benson. He did just that. And justice was delayed and all were hired back.

To claim that the state pension fund is underfunded because of the number of state employees is just plain absurd. The fund may be underfunded but it is the state legislature that agreed to raid the monies and use those pension funds for other reasons.
Actually, it's not absurd. Toad is dead on. I am an elected official in my (Mass.) town and one of the major issues we face is the unfunded liability of municipal employees' pensions and health care. Collective bargaining agreements by the town's unions have left us with a large and somewhat difficult to project future costs. While pension costs can be roughly projected, health care costs cannot. This makes our task of setting budgets and tax rates year-to-year very difficult. In fact, we recently voted to create a trust fund to help us lend stability to our resident's tax bill in the face of ever rising health care costs. I'm sure this post will draw the usual Mass./NH comments but, in my opinion, the fundamental issue is the same in both states.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (11-01-2011), secondcurve (11-01-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (11-02-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #46
secondcurve

Quote:

You truly are uninformed.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #47
Bigstan

Quote:
You truly are uninformed.
Well said.

These pensions are state subsidized - if the state decides to move the subsidy somewhere else (as they are prone to do time and again rather than cut anything) the pensions are then underfunded as they rely upon subsidies to stay in the black.

Until we switch state EE's to a 401/3 type program the system doesn't work anymore. Forget about the cost of health care benefits and the like, the day of state/fed pensions needs to end, or we just dig the hole deeper. You need to get out what you pay in with market conditions applied, simple as that. I pay into a 401, so does almost everyone else. It may be painful to look at, but it is fair.

Else these pensions end up like social security - does anyone under 40 think they will ever see an SS check even though you pay up to $4,485 in SS a year?

I may have just gone political, delete me if need be
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
KPW (11-04-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #48
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremenewenglander View Post
Tell that to my Chinese exchange student?
+1 lol.

I am currently living in China for work and I speak conversational "Chinese". When the locals meet me the first time and realize I speak the language, they always reply with a "oh, you speak Chinese?"

NEVER has anyone asked me if I can speak Mandarin or Cantonese
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #49
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
. . . . the unfunded liability of municipal employees' pensions and health care. Collective bargaining agreements by the town's unions have left us with a large and somewhat difficult to project future costs. While pension costs can be roughly projected, health care costs cannot.
Well now you are mixing up underfunded state pensions and health care costs. Two completely different items.

And a misunderstanding of what a collective bargaining agreement is.

A collective bargain agreement is an agreement, in this case, between the town and the towns employees. Both sides agree on all conditions. Each side can hire the bestest and brightest to represent their side. This is an agreement. Both sides agree to conditons of employment.

If your town or the state decides to raid their portion or both portions of the retirement funds - well shame on them. If your town or the state hires actuarial incompentents - well then shame on them. If the money is stolen to pay other state bills - well shame on the legislature.

And in Massachusetts most employees receive an annuity and not a pension. Look up the difference. Some police and firefighters may receive a pension but that is the legislature that sets that up. If that is too much - well, then shame on the elected legislature.

If New Hampshire or Massachusetts has problems with the funding of the state annuities and pensions then why do you folks keep electing the same people?

All elected officials should know all of this. If they don't they should inform themselves or resign and let someone else who is informed do the job.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #50
diz

Quote:
Well now you are mixing up underfunded state pensions and health care costs. Two completely different items.

And a misunderstanding of what a collective bargaining agreement is.

A collective bargain agreement is an agreement, in this case, between the town and the towns employees. Both sides agree on all conditions. Each side can hire the bestest and brightest to represent their side. This is an agreement. Both sides agree to conditons of employment.

If your town or the state decides to raid their portion or both portions of the retirement funds - well shame on them. If your town or the state hires actuarial incompentents - well then shame on them. If the money is stolen to pay other state bills - well shame on the legislature.

And in Massachusetts most employees receive an annuity and not a pension. Look up the difference. Some police and firefighters may receive a pension but that is the legislature that sets that up. If that is too much - well, then shame on the elected legislature.

If New Hampshire or Massachusetts has problems with the funding of the state annuities and pensions then why do you folks keep electing the same people?

All elected officials should know all of this. If they don't they should inform themselves or resign and let someone else who is informed do the job.
Some people might take your comment as somewhat patronizing. I mean, I could point out that, in my town position, I see every CBA with each of our unions and vote on whether to fund them. I could point out that, at least in Mass., the funding for retirement and helath care are technically managed differently but budgeted for in the same way. I could point out that we cannot legally move money around as you suggest. I might even ask if you've ever run for election or even actively participated in your local government. But where would that get me? So speaking strictly to the issue of the long-term liability facing New England cities and towns, I don't think it's the "elected officials" you refer to that have the biggest impact. It's the cost of some of the union contracts. That's just my two bits.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #51
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Angry off topic

Belmont Resident (11-12-2011), Mirror Lake's BB (11-02-2011), Ropetow (11-04-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #52
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

As I was opening this, I was wondering if it was still "Off Topic"!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #53
Pineedles

Well I did my bit yesterday. Went to our local Lowes and bought a new microwave oven. Why do they have to add so many buttons? The one I received as a wedding present from my parents lasted nearly 30 years and was a lot simpler to use.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #54
trfour

Smile This Condition Could Qualify For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Well I did my bit yesterday. Went to our local Lowes and bought a new microwave oven. Why do they have to add so many buttons? The one I received as a wedding present from my parents lasted nearly 30 years and was a lot simpler to use.
' ( The No One Left Behind Act ) '... BTW, I'm still using my fire pit! And Oh Ya, when winter comes and you need to move it indoors. Of course there is lots more maintenance involved washing the ceilings and walls down after dinner. However, the slow cooked food is so much better!

Pineedles is such a Hoot!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #55
SIKSUKR

Default I'm back on topic

I went to the Hooksett Lowes Saturday to look around and see what was left as they are were having 35% off everything. Ended up buying a fridge for $900 off. Great deal except when I got it home I realized I screwed up. Its 3 inches wider than my old one and won't fit in my opening. Looks like my savings will go into a little carpentry work.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #56
Pineedles

Default Funny/Not that you mentioned that

It's unbelievable, but a 31 year old woman was found dead in her bedroom 2 days ago in Connecticut. I seems that she had brought her charcoal grill into her bedroom for heat. She died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Over 180 people have been treated for this condition in the past week due to the power outage. I think this woman had her brain pilot light out at the time.

Let's be careful out there people.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #57
songkrai

Quote:
It's unbelievable, but a 31 year old woman was found dead in her bedroom 2 days ago in Connecticut. I seems that she had brought her charcoal grill into her bedroom for heat. She died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Over 180 people have been treated for this condition in the past week due to the power outage. I think this woman had her brain pilot light out at the time.

Let's be careful out there people.
Do you have a link to this story. As propane does not give off carbon monoxide. How can they sell ventless propane fireplaces and wall unit ventless propane heaters?

These smaller propane heaters do use up oxygen. In a tight space the oxygen could be depleted. If the oxygen is depleted then yes as what is left after the oxygen is depleted?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #58
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I went to the Hooksett Lowes Saturday to look around and see what was left as they are were having 35% off everything. Ended up buying a fridge for $900 off. Great deal except when I got it home I realized I screwed up. Its 3 inches wider than my old one and won't fit in my opening. Looks like my savings will go into a little carpentry work.
Just put it in the TV room, save the carpentry work as well as walking.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #59
Pineedles

Quote:
Do you have a link to this story. As propane does not give off carbon monoxide. How can they sell ventless propane fireplaces and wall unit ventless propane heaters?

These smaller propane heaters do use up oxygen. In a tight space the oxygen could be depleted. If the oxygen is depleted then yes as what is left after the oxygen is depleted?
Please re-read my post. I said charcoal. Here's the link.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...133126588.html

And BTW, I would never put a "Ventless Propane" heater in any room of my house, despite what they say it being safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (11-05-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #60
ushaggerb

Default Can't say that if you have shareholders

Quote:

I think private companies can and do say that from time to time. Public companies have a shareholder obligation; they have to make really hard choices sometimes. They have to hit their targets: growth, profit, etc.

But I think you are on to something. Right now public companies are at the point of diminishing returns if they cut more. People are working at a pace that they probably can't keep and are making mistakes they wouldn't if there were larger staffs. "If you've cut out the fat, cut through the muscle, the only cut left is the bone."
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #61
TOAD

Quote:

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is responsible for almost 25% of all propane related fatalities. Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete gas combustion often because appliances are improperly adjusted. Properly functioning propane appliances will produce what is called an "ideal burn" during combustion and present no danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can lead to severe injury and even death.

http://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #62
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Thought I would share this with you...just becuase they sell it doesn't mean its right.

Several states within the United States, as well as other countries, have completely outlawed ventless gas fireplaces because of health concerns. Canada, Massachusetts, and California don't allow people to install these types of heaters because of their potential to build up carbon monoxide, deplete oxygen, and lead to unconsciousness or even suffocation.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #63
ushaggerb

Quote:

Yeah. But 100% of those 11.9% are members of a union.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #64
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushaggerb View Post
Yeah. But 100% of those 11.9% are members of a union.
What the....?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #65
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Well I did my bit yesterday. Went to our local Lowe's and bought a new microwave oven. Why do they have to add so many buttons? The one I received as a wedding present from my parents lasted nearly 30 years and was a lot simpler to use.
I don't believe they are harder to use and the extra buttons are there to confuse us. It is our age, we just didn't or is it we can't keep up with all these appliances that all you need is 2 thumbs to run.
Pineedles (11-14-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #66
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Thought I would share this with you...just becuase they sell it doesn't mean its right.

Several states within the United States, as well as other countries, have completely outlawed ventless gas fireplaces because of health concerns. Canada, Massachusetts, and California don't allow people to install these types of heaters because of their potential to build up carbon monoxide, deplete oxygen, and lead to unconsciousness or even suffocation.
"Safety benefits
Vent-free heaters emit heat without burning any combustible materials such as coal, logs or paper, reducing the risk of burns from ashes or runaway flames.The Vent-Free Alliance (VFA) is one of several organizations that supports the installation of vent-free heaters in the home because they are deemed safer than other heating appliances. Several model building codes also permit the installation of vent-free products. These codes include the National Fire Protection Assocation (NFPA), the International Fuel Gas Code, the International Mechanical Code (IMC) and the Building Officials and Code Administrators (BOCA)."

LINK
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #67
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Coming onto this conversation late, but I consciously elect to go to places like Trustworhty (which is less than 2 miles from Lowes in Gilford) or Ace on the other side of the lake rather than HD or L because supporting smaller businesses is WAY more advantageous to us all that buying crap at box stores.

You've read on this thread about inferior garden products, inferior kitchen and carpet projects and re-branded tools, that's just the beginning with box stores. With the smaller hardware stores, what you see is what you get and if you need larger quantities than they carry, they can get a shipment for you in days at near or better than the box store price. I did this with insulation from Ace and was impressed with the price, the service, and the great installation advise I got from the store.

Stop thinking that only big box stores can give you what you need. Look to the smaller local merchant who also spends his money/your money locally....many times, it makes SO much sense....
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaidenCove07 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (11-17-2011), CateP (11-17-2011), Jonas Pilot (11-16-2011), tis (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #68
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
Coming onto this conversation late, but I consciously elect to go to places like Trustworhty (which is less than 2 miles from Lowes in Gilford) or Ace on the other side of the lake rather than HD or L because supporting smaller businesses is WAY more advantageous to us all that buying crap at box stores.

You've read on this thread about inferior garden products, inferior kitchen and carpet projects and re-branded tools, that's just the beginning with box stores. With the smaller hardware stores, what you see is what you get and if you need larger quantities than they carry, they can get a shipment for you in days at near or better than the box store price. I did this with insulation from Ace and was impressed with the price, the service, and the great installation advise I got from the store.

Stop thinking that only big box stores can give you what you need. Look to the smaller local merchant who also spends his money/your money locally....many times, it makes SO much sense....
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact as a former NJ resident who always used Home Depot, I find it absolutely enjoyable to browse Bradley's Hardware here in Wolfeboro. It seems they have EVERYTHING one could need up here. And the employees are so helpful and knowledgeable.

In fact the longer I am here the more I am beginning to feel like this area has it's own little self-sustaining economy. Looking forward to learning more.

I have nothing against people having jobs at big box stores and DO feel for the folks who lost them, but as for supporting a more local economy, I think that is more sustainable.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #69
TOAD

Quote:
I have nothing against people having jobs at big box stores and DO feel for the folks who lost them, but as for supporting a more local economy, I think that is more sustainable.
Well said.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #70
secondcurve

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. In fact as a former NJ resident who always used Home Depot, I find it absolutely enjoyable to browse Bradley's Hardware here in Wolfeboro. It seems they have EVERYTHING one could need up here. And the employees are so helpful and knowledgeable.

In fact the longer I am here the more I am beginning to feel like this area has it's own little self-sustaining economy. Looking forward to learning more.

I agree Bradleys is great and its employees are helpful. That being said, you pay a significant premium for doing business there for apples to apples products. Therefore, I use Lowes and HD for certain products and Bradleys for others but the weighting is to the big box stores. Sorry, but economics can't be ignored.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #71
Lakepilot

Quote:
I agree Bradleys is great and its employees are helpful. That being said, you pay a significant premium for doing business there for apples to apples products. Therefore, I use Lowes and HD for certain products and Bradleys for others but the weighting is to the big box stores. Sorry, but economics can't be ignored.
Generally I agree they are somewhat more expensive the others in the area, but I just bought a muff for our outboard there and paoid $8.99. 4 months ago I bought the same muff at a marina in Florida and paid $19.99. I just checked Overtons and they're $12.99. I hope the next time I go into Bradleys they aren't $19.99.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #72
Belmont Resident

Default All about easy!

My wife at one time managed HD stores. As she told me it’s all about making it easy for customers to spend more without ever realizing they are doing it.
Take a plumbing job for instance, (that’s what she used as reference) you might get the copper pipe at a savings, but all those fittings you buy to put that pipe to use are marked up significantly over what you will pay elsewhere. That’s where they make their money.
I never really paid much attention until the economy tanked. Now I do compare and I have taken most of my business to the smaller hardware stores.
Quality though has gone down everywhere. Yesterday I had 2 doors with a value of over $3500. Both have to be returned. One is delaminating and both had scratches on them that would break thru the veneer if sanded. These are Brosco doors of finish quality that are to be stained and then polyurethaned. I see this more and more with high end products, so it is no wonder some say why not save a go to HD or Lowes.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #73
trfour

Post An Important Message To Remember

Paying more for less, isn't Go'in help us in the long run!! Kittywampus is not the way to go, these days!!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote