Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #201
GBGX2

Default Here is their Facebook Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
The Dive???

Did it ever set sail?

No other Posts since late MAY???
Winnocturn, they are posting on Facebook constantly:

https://m.facebook.com/thedivelakewinni/
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (07-16-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #202
GBGX2

Default The Dive has passed State Inspections!

https://www.facebook.com/16544150545...7583341278822/
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #203
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

W. Alton sandbar Saturday. As if it's not hard enough to find a spot there already. There goes the last family sandbar on the lake. Ugh.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mrsdeb (09-04-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #204
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Their app is available in the Apple App Store by searching The Dive NH. All the features are not running yet but it’s a good tool to see the daily location to find them or in other cases avoid the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #205
Hillcountry

They were out on the lake this morning...I snapped this on my way back from Alton Bay after fishing...this sandbar is really nice but too cool to stop this morning.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-19-2018), Phantom (07-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #206
Overlake97

Default West Alton Sandbar??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
W. Alton sandbar
That's the sandbar outside West Alton Marina, right?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #207
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
That's the sandbar outside West Alton Marina, right?
Yup.

Overlake97 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #208
Phantom

Just downloaded the App ……….. as joey points out, nothing working on it though.

App store -- "The Dive nh".
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #209
fatlazyless

So, what makes The Dive think the Marine Patrol will allow it to stop at rafting areas and service people/boaters/jetskis/customers while adrift with no forward movement?

All the tour boats: the Mount Washington, Sophie C, Doris E, and Winni Belle are all continuously moving along at about 20-mph or so, plus they are not looking for customers out on the water while enroute their tour.

Seems like a very wack-a-doozie business plan?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #210
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
So, what makes The Dive think the Marine Patrol will allow it to stop at rafting areas and service people/boaters/jetskis/customers while adrift with no forward movement?

All the tour boats: the Mount Washington, Sophie C, Doris E, and Winni Belle are all continuously moving along at about 20-mph or so, plus they are not looking for customers out on the water while enroute their tour.

If they didn’t iron out THAT major detail, I hardly think that they would have progressed to the stage they are at now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (07-19-2018), mhtranger (07-27-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #211
Outdoorsman

Quote:

I seriously doubt that the small children buying ice cream from the mail boat are swimming along at "20-mph or so" .... (same goes for the adults making the same same purchase)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #212
fatlazyless

Default Sophie C. - U.S. Mail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I seriously doubt that the small children buying ice cream from the mail boat are swimming along at "20-mph or so" .... (same goes for the adults making the same same purchase)
The Sophie C. is the 5th boat to serve as the U. S. Mail boat since 1892, and delivers mail to nine different islands, including Bear Island and the A.M.C. Three Mile Island from mid June to mid September. Home port is Weirs Beach, next to the Mount Washington dock; it is 76 feet long and weighs 80-tons and carries passengers who enjoy the 90-minute ride as it delivers the mail.

It sells post cards, stamps, Klondike bars, Hoodsie cups, and Good Humor bars, while tied up to an island dock delivering the mail.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #213
Outdoorsman

Quote:
The Sophie C. is the 5th boat to serve as the U. S. Mail boat since 1892, and delivers mail to nine different islands, including Bear Island and the A.M.C. Three Mile Island from mid June to mid September. Home port is Weirs Beach, next to the Mount Washington dock; it is 76 feet long and weighs 80-tons and carries passengers who enjoy the 90-minute ride as it delivers the mail.

It sells post cards, stamps, Klondike bars, Hoodsie cups, and Good Humor bars, while tied up to an island dock delivering the mail.
My point being.... they do not ask ANYONE to swim along side the vessel to make a purchase, but you already know that so.....
Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #214
fatlazyless

Quote:
My point being.... they do not ask ANYONE to swim along side the vessel to make a purchase, but you already know that so.....
....not swimmers no ......but boaters, yes, they are looking for boaters to access their starboard side pickup window while out on the water, which could be while stopped and adrift, stopped and anchored, or motoring along at some unknown speed.....

None of the four tour boats already mentioned are looking to service boaters like this with a take out window while out on the water. They all move along at about 20-mph or so.

Will the Marine Patrol agree to The Dive's plan for an on-the-water, while underway, or adrift, or anchored take out service window for boaters? It is a wack-a-doozie plan!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #215
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
....not swimmers no ......but boaters, yes, they are looking for boaters to access their starboard side pickup window while out on the water, which could be while stopped and adrift, stopped and anchored, or motoring along at some unknown speed.....

None of the four tour boats already mentioned are looking to service boaters like this with a take out window while out on the water. They all move along at about 20-mph or so.

Will the Marine Patrol agree to The Dive's plan for an on-the-water, while underway, or adrift, or anchored take out service window for boaters? It is a wack-a-doozie plan!
Why would Marine Patrol have any jurisdiction over this food operation, other than the vessel safely requirements and inspections for a commercial vessel? They obviously had MP do the inspection and issue the ok.

Do you think MP would actually give them the all-clear on the vessel, but not tell them that once they got on the water to operate the business, they were going to shut it down? It would be kind of like the State Cops telling the local ice cream man or food truck that they can’t do business. Why can’t people just let this guy give it a go without all of the peanut gallery putting in their (useless) opinions?

This guy (or girl) has invested a lot of time and money to get to this point. At least he’s not sitting home collecting welfare, or shooting up heroin somewhere! I hope they kick ass!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-21-2018), Cal Coon (07-19-2018), chipj29 (07-20-2018), Cobalt 25 (07-20-2018), erick26 (07-20-2018), GBGX2 (07-20-2018), gravy boat (07-20-2018), ishoot308 (07-19-2018), MBNeckguy (07-19-2018), mhtranger (07-27-2018), smith point boater (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #216
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Why would Marine Patrol have any jurisdiction over this food operation, other than the vessel safely requirements and inspections for a commercial vessel? They obviously had MP do the inspection and issue the ok.

Do you think MP would actually give them the all-clear on the vessel, but not tell them that once they got on the water to operate the business, they were going to shut it down? It would be kind of like the State Cops telling the local ice cream man or food truck that they can’t do business. Why can’t people just let this guy give it a go without all of the peanut gallery putting in their (useless) opinions?

This guy (or girl) has invested a lot of time and money to get to this point. At least he’s not sitting home collecting welfare, or shooting up heroin somewhere! I hope they kick ass!
Amen! Definitely no shortage of (negative) armchair quarterbacks out there...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (07-20-2018), MBNeckguy (07-23-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #217
AC2717

Easy answer:
At headway speed or no wake speed, you can be well within 150 feet of another boat or object and since you are not tying off, there is no rafting issues
MBNeckguy (07-23-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #218
jazzman

Seems like The Dive will have to anchor. It's one big sail
Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #219
The Real BigGuy

I thought an earlier picture showed it with “spuds” fore and aft for shallow water stability/“anchoring”. Maybe they were just part of the original barge and came off during construction.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #220
ApS

Arrow This "Better Idea" Faces a Short Season...

Reading the news-aggregating websites, I'm seeing a lot of incidental advertising for waterborne group activities. (Cruising, weddings, etc.) Presently, Google-ads are displaying Maine schooners and medium-sized cruise boats plying the Hawaiian island of Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Seems like The Dive will have to anchor. It's one big sail
"The Dive" crew is going to learn a lot about sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The segue was obvious to me: Floating restaurant begets hiking complaint, hiking complaint begets illegal immigration rant. Obvious, no? Anyway, my thoughts: I doubt someone would go to the trouble of building this if they were unable to get permits to use it as intended. It's not my scene, but I think it's pretty neat and I hope it's successful. It's a clever way to open a boat-to restaurant without needing to buy expensive real estate. For those that are concerned about the environmental impact should consider how this thing will NOT require more than a dock's width of waterfront property and won't require a paved parking lot right next to the lake. Draft will be extremely shallow. There's just not that much mass: surface area there and it likely has an utterly flat hull. It will blend nicely with the uglier homes on the lake, not so much the boats, but it will look better than some of them.
I don't think the post anchors will exclude it from overnight mooring laws and I'd be willing to bet it will return to a dock or mooring every night. Considering where it's being built and the slow cruising speed, I suspect it will typically be a short trip...
Any "post anchors" (called "spuds") appearing in earlier photos, apparently were attached to something adjacent, but I think they should have been equipped with at least one.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #221
fatlazyless

Default Is it a houseboat?

Yes, it is a boat, and yes, it does look like a house, but is it a house boat?

Who knows ...... only the NH Marine Patrol really knows, obviously, but just maybe it qualifies to be considered a houseboat at least on a very temporary basis.....like a one night anchor back in a cove somewhere.....after a busy busy night ...... with one or more sleeping bags unrolled across the deck, or on top of a sitting bench, or somewhere ..... like, in the steering room .......aka......the pilot room?

270-A:1 Definitions: Use of houseboats

"Houseboat" means any ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran or marine craft of any description upon or within which are located sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.

Does that mean that it needs to be docked, or moored, every night, as opposed to remaining anchored out on the big water, somewhere, under the stars on the big beautiful blue big lake, from April to November?

Oh well, Ming Cove in Alton, or wherever the heck it is, is a long, long, long way from south Bear Island, so's it's probably not gonna be my problem .... big money risk .....big money reward .... will be interesting to see what happens .....where it goes .....what's the plan etc ....time will tell?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #222
strum

looks Like two spuds on starboard side..
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #223
strum

looks like they are on the port side .
Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #224
JADAQ

Quote:
Yes, it is a boat, and yes, it does look like a house, but is it a house boat?

Who knows ...... only the NH Marine Patrol really knows, obviously, but just maybe it qualifies to be considered a houseboat at least on a very temporary basis.....like a one night anchor back in a cove somewhere.....after a busy busy night ...... with one or more sleeping bags unrolled across the deck, or on top of a sitting bench, or somewhere ..... like, in the steering room .......aka......the pilot room?

270-A:1 Definitions: Use of houseboats

"Houseboat" means any ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran or marine craft of any description upon or within which are located sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.

Does that mean that it needs to be docked, or moored, every night, as opposed to remaining anchored out on the big water, somewhere, under the stars on the big beautiful blue big lake, from April to November?

Oh well, Ming Cove in Alton, or wherever the heck it is, is a long, long, long way from south Bear Island, so's it's probably not gonna be my problem .... big money risk .....big money reward .... will be interesting to see what happens .....where it goes .....what's the plan etc ....time will tell?
Seriously, how do you think this crap up anyway?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #225
Phantom

JADAQ - I see you've only been a member for two years ………… trust me ( and my 13 years on this Forum)- FLL does NOT "think this stuff up" ………………. it flows quite naturally from his keyboard...

No thought required !
Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #226
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
JADAQ - I see you've only been a member for two years ………… trust me ( and my 13 years on this Forum)- FLL does NOT "think this stuff up" ………………. it flows quite naturally from his keyboard...

No thought required !
I equate it to a very lucky ape pounding on a keyboard.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #227
GBGX2

Default The Dive is ALIVE !

See more here:

https://www.facebook.com/thedivelake...type=3&theater
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #228
Hillcountry

Cool, if you're into this sort of thing...I would rather be on my own boat enjoying the lake on my terms...I wish them luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #229
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
They were out on the lake this morning...I snapped this on my way back from Alton Bay after fishing...this sandbar is really nice but too cool to stop this morning.
It's a floating eye sore.
And Like Gump said "that's all I got ta say 'bout that
Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #230
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
It's a floating eye sore.
And Like Gump said "that's all I got ta say 'bout that
I don't think it is an eye sore but I also think they need to move around the lake out of respect for the residents of Sleepers.

Hopefully for your sake they are just staying near WOW for a test period then will start alternating locations
Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #231
noreast

I think the old men with there shirts off is an eye sore, but the boat looks pretty good.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #232
Phantom

I am not bashing the Dive-- I think it is a great adventure and wish them luck and hope it is long term successful after all their expense. It should be considered a welcome addition to the Lake whether you plan try it out or find it "not your style"

The one thing the recent picture raised in my mind -- as a NH Health code - aren't shoes suppose to be worn where food is being served ?

It is a legit question of mine.

I am not sure the photo posted was legit customers or Staged photo as all the prior photo's have been. I suspect staged as not a sole has come out and said they've been aboard as yet.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #233
joey2665

Quote:
I am not bashing the Dive-- I think it is a great adventure and wish them luck and hope it is long term successful after all their expense. It should be considered a welcome addition to the Lake whether you plan try it out or find it "not your style"

The one thing the recent picture raised in my mind -- as a NH Health code - aren't shoes suppose to be worn where food is being served ?

I am not sure the photo posted was legit customers or Staged photo as all the prior photo's have been.
Not sure about the law, but I have seen many hop off their boat at Town Docks and eat with no shoes on at the restaurant
gravy boat (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #234
Phantom

I was actually thinking of Town Docks when I wrote the above -- I believe they have a sign for shirts & shoes must be worn

Something witty along the lines of NO Shirt, No Shoes , No Service.
joey2665 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #235
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I am not sure the photo posted was legit customers or Staged photo as all the prior photo's have been. I suspect staged as not a sole has come out and said they've been aboard as yet.
I am not sure that using a forum with 30-50 regular posters is the best benchmark for determining any aspect of The Dive's success or failure. Plus, it has only been a week or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #236
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure that using a forum with 30-50 regular posters is the best benchmark for determining any aspect of The Dive's success or failure. Plus, it has only been a week or two.
I wondered the same thing, but did see somebody say they went on it. I think his name was Ryan?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #237
Phantom

Quote:
Phantom is Befuddled

Where did I raise any questions of Success or failure based on forum members ? In my opening remark - I simply wished the new owners "Best of Luck" and the Lake as a whole should embrace the new venture whether its your cup of tea or not.

My post was a legit question about the need for shoes (and/or shirts) to be worn in an eating establishment in NH …………. period the end -- whether the Dive or Patrick's Pub -- irrelevant of location

My comment on the pic being Staged, as you should know, the Dive is not yet OPEN for business commercially as of this date and all photographs till now have been staged (and I am NOT saying that is bad either). The point being if NH law requires, at minimum, shoes be worn then they oooops'd in the photo! which is what brought the question to mind in the first place (barefoot patrons).
Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #238
joey2665

Quote:
Phantom is Befuddled

Where did I raise any questions of Success or failure based on forum members ? In my opening remark - I simply wished the new owners "Best of Luck" and the Lake as a whole should embrace the new venture whether its your cup of tea or not.

My post was a legit question about the need for shoes (and/or shirts) to be worn in an eating establishment in NH …………. period the end -- whether the Dive or Patrick's Pub -- irrelevant of location

My comment on the pic being Staged, as you should know, the Dive is not yet OPEN for business commercially as of this date and all photographs till now have been staged (and I am NOT saying that is bad either). The point being if NH law requires, at minimum, shoes be worn then they oooops'd in the photo! which is what brought the question to mind in the first place (barefoot patrons).
Not sure I understand your post where you say "they are not open commercially" and photos are "staged". They have been at Smalls Cove all week except today according to their Facebook page and posts to that page with patrons visiting the vessel. Am I missing something? Honest question
Old 07-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #239
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Phantom is Befuddled
I'm not sure what you mean by the Dive is not open for business commercially?? Saw them selling food and drink last weekend at West Alton Sandbar as well as this week...

Pics on their facebook page have not been staged. Friends of mine were on it very recently and their picture showed up on their facebook page.

Dan
Old 07-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #240
Phantom

My totally BAD !

Last I knew they went on their shakedown cruze and that was it ---

Need to scold my daughter who is at WAM for not telling me they were now operational

Withdraw all those comment -- except wishing them success.
ishoot308 (07-25-2018), joey2665 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #241
joey2665

Quote:
My totally BAD !

Last I knew they went on their shakedown cruze and that was it ---

Need to scold my daughter who is at WAM for not telling me they were now operational

Withdraw all those comment -- except wishing them success.
LOL no worries, honestly thought I may be missing something
Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #242
noreast

I think if the pics were staged the "talent" would be of a higher caliber?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #243
Outdoorsman

Quote:
My totally BAD !

Need to scold my daughter who is at WAM for not telling me they were now operational.
NAH, She may not have known it was operational. Shame on those that make disparaging comments without the same knowledge
Old 07-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #244
thinkxingu

If that's the site I'll see when visiting, I'm even less inclined to patronize The Dive. Ugh, gross. It's like going to a nude beach--it's never the good stuff you see. Put a shirt and shoes on, and keep your graying chest hair out of my margarita.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-26-2018), rander7823 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #245
RUGMAN

Some of You guys crack me up, Guess you have never been to Naswa, Hampton Beach,Salisbury Beach or any beach for that matter.. if you are at the beach, everyone walks around in bathing suit, no shoes and eats and drinks, not sure what the big deal is. Give the Dive a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to RUGMAN For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #246
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Some of You guys crack me up, Guess you have never been to Naswa, Hampton Beach,Salisbury Beach or any beach for that matter.. if you are at the beach, everyone walks around in bathing suit, no shoes and eats and drinks, not sure what the big deal is. Give the Dive a chance.
Prima - donna's, (unfortunately) no shortage of them in this society, and on this forum...
Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #247
Hillcountry

Quote:
If that's the site I'll see when visiting, I'm even less inclined to patronize The Dive. Ugh, gross. It's like going to a nude beach--it's never the good stuff you see. Put a shirt and shoes on, and keep your graying chest hair out of my margarita.

I agree! But I wouldn’t patronize the dive because of that scene...I would stay away so that no one was grossed out by me!
Back hair and bunions are not everyone’s cup o’ tea!
thinkxingu (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #248
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Prima - donna's, (unfortunately) no shortage of them in this society, and on this forum...
Yeah, that's it--prima donnas. There's a fine line between walking the beach without shirt and shoes and sitting at a restaurant/bar table--which is why every restaurant (and store?) has the no shirt, no shoes, no service expectation.

If not wanting Vinnie's gynecomastic curlies in my face (or sandwich) makes me a prima donna, I'll gladly sport the moniker.

Outdoorsman (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #249
betterthanbacon

Quote:

The Nasswa promotes no shoes and shirts.
When you dock the dock hands tell you.
NO SHOES
NO SHIRTS
NO PROBLEM
The Following User Says Thank You to betterthanbacon For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #250
Reilly

Default Staged

Quote:
Phantom is Befuddled

Not sure about being staged but no one on board seems to have food or a drink not much money being made
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 AM   #251
Cal Coon

Quote:
Yeah, that's it--prima donnas. There's a fine line between walking the beach without shirt and shoes and sitting at a restaurant/bar table--which is why every restaurant (and store?) has the no shirt, no shoes, no service expectation.

If not wanting Vinnie's gynecomastic curlies in my face (or sandwich) makes me a prima donna, I'll gladly sport the moniker.

Have you ever taken a walk to the "back" of your favorite restaurant where no one ever sees??? I realize there are "codes" they have to live by, but it's usually just on the day the inspector is coming! Do you carry a bottle of hand sanitizer around in your purse??? Although I will admit that I try to avoid "public" bathrooms. Only use them as a "last resort" (which is usually in the city) and thankfully I don't spend much time in the city. I would rather go outside than use a public bathroom. Much easier when you are surrounded by woods than buildings...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-26-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #252
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Isn't calling these guys "Vinnie" kinda stereotyping? Besides, I would much rather be high and dry with the risk of a few flying chest hairs, than hanging out in the water with 100's of people disposing of their beer...
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #253
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I would much rather be high and dry with the risk of a few flying chest hairs, than hanging out in the water with 100's of people disposing of their beer...
Fair point!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #254
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Have you ever taken a walk to the "back" of your favorite restaurant where no one ever sees??? I realize there are "codes" they have to live by, but it's usually just on the day the inspector is coming!
I can not say for sure, but I would be VERY surprised if any restaurant "knew when inspectors were coming". At least I hope they don't .
Old 07-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #255
Call of the Isle

Our daughter & son-in-law took a jet ski over to The Dive yesterday. Boats anchored & tied up all around it. They had to swim to get to it. Upstairs was a nice lounge area with couches, TV, fire pit. There’s an app (The Dive NH) for ordering drive-thru food. Nice variety, expensive as you’d imagine.
They didn’t stay long as “parking” was an issue (quite crowded, so there’s lots who will try it out.) This was on a Friday afternoon, too. She noted that there was a good amount of oil in the water; she had to clean it from her PFD later.
Wondering what neighbors think of it...

Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #256
loonguy

"Wondering what neighbors think of it..."

This is a very polite way of saying it sure looks like a public nuisance to me, and I agree. Do they change the location daily, or are the unfortunate neighbors stuck with this every day?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-28-2018), Biggd (07-29-2018), winterharbor59 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #257
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
"Wondering what neighbors think of it..."

This is a very polite way of saying it sure looks like a public nuisance to me, and I agree. Do they change the location daily, or are the unfortunate neighbors stuck with this every day?
That was my question. Although I think I will enjoy it on occasion, I do not think they should be in the same location everyday as it can be an issue for neighbors. Hopefully they will venture past Smalls Cove soon
Momdip (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #258
thinkxingu

The sandbar there isn't very big--anybody estimate how this affects anchoring? I'm assuming the same rules apply, so I'm thinking it displaces a lot of potential visitors. We were planning on heading over today, but it's hard enough to find a spot already.

Hillcountry (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #259
joey2665

Quote:
The sandbar there isn't very big--anybody estimate how this affects anchoring? I'm assuming the same rules apply, so I'm thinking it displaces a lot of potential visitors. We were planning on heading over today, but it's hard enough to find a spot already.

According to their app they will be at Smalls Cove again today 7/29. Time TBD.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #260
Hillcountry

Quote:

Like anything else “worthwhile doing” nowadays, you have to go early, stake out a spot, and try to enjoy while everyone else is doing the same thing!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #261
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Minimal problem

It's a minimal problem, and if the boaters get crowded up, The Dive could offer the MP a coffee and donut, and all week be fine.

Dave
thinkxingu (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #262
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I know I wouldn't be too happy if this thing was sitting out in front of my waterfront every day. Personally I dob't see how they allow this monstrosity on the lake but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-29-2018), thinkxingu (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #263
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I know I wouldn't be too happy if this thing was sitting out in front of my waterfront every day. Personally I dob't see how they allow this monstrosity on the lake but that's just my opinion.
Total agreement. Eyesore. That said, doubt there's much that can be done about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #264
thinkxingu

Awesome.
^ sarcasm

Old 07-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #265
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Total agreement. Eyesore. That said, doubt there's much that can be done about it.
Eyesore, earsore, oil-leak-sore.

I'm not sure there's nothing that can be done. Based on the reports in this thread, I'd bet neighbors are already working mighty hard to find state or local laws to squeeze these guys.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #266
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Eyesore, earsore, oil-leak-sore.

I'm not sure there's nothing that can be done. Based on the reports in this thread, I'd bet neighbors are already working mighty hard to find state or local laws to squeeze these guys.
Season is short. If they just move to different locations on a daily basis I think everyone would be happy.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #267
Outdoorsman

They have been in operation for ~2 weeks and already the NIMBY people are rising to the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #268
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Season is short. If they just move to different locations on a daily basis I think everyone would be happy.

Everyone except for the people with homes near wherever they happen to be on a given day. I do not see why the novelty of being able to buy a hamburger from a boat should take precedence over others' more peaceful enjoyment.

And with respect to the NIMBY comment, The Dive is not in my backyard, but I am sympathetic to those facing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #269
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Everyone except for the people with homes near wherever they happen to be on a given day. I do not see why the novelty of being able to buy a hamburger from a boat should take precedence over others' more peaceful enjoyment.

And with respect to the NIMBY comment, The Dive is not in my backyard, but I am sympathetic to those facing it.

Hence the problem...

This is a NEW HAMPSHIRE business. It faced, AND WAS GRANTED, many NEW HAMPSHIRE LICENSES (Food License granted, Alcohol License granted, MP (or coast guard) signed off on their business model.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #270
Biggd

Quote:

I agee whole heartedly. I don't have to look at it but many people that own their own waterfront property do. Like anything else on the water, if there are too many complaints then the licences won't get renewed. The big lake is just turning into a money pit now. I always thought I would search for another place on Winni but over the past few years I'm happy to be on a quieter and safer lake Waukewan. I put my boat in Winni once a year on father's day weekend when I have a bunch of old friends up and it's crazy out on the water then.
After that it goes in Waukewan for the season and we chill.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #271
Momo

Default The DIVE

I am happy everyone gets to enjoy our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee. However, people who own lakefront property pay a “view tax”. Will there be a rebate for those who have to look at The DIVE day and night? And speaking of night... what about their ridiculous rotating light pole which looks like Vegas?
Viva Las Winnipesaukee....
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #272
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
I am happy everyone gets to enjoy our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee. However, people who own lakefront property pay a “view tax”. Will there be a rebate for those who have to look at The DIVE day and night? And speaking of night... what about their ridiculous rotating light pole which looks like Vegas?
Viva Las Winnipesaukee....
Do they have pole dancers?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:35 AM   #273
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
I am happy everyone gets to enjoy our beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee. However, people who own lakefront property pay a “view tax”.
Hopefully you were kidding. People often state this or claim there is a "waterfront tax". There is no "view tax" or "waterfront tax" in any community on the lake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-30-2018), Outdoorsman (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #274
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Hopefully you were kidding. People often state this or claim there is a "waterfront tax". There is no "view tax" or "waterfront tax" in any community on the lake.
Not officially.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #275
Biggd

Quote:
It's not written in as a view tax but when they come to your house to reassess, the view is taken to account in the value of your property just as it does when a realtor comes out to appraise it. Obviously homes that have an extraordinary view are worth more, whether it be a view of the lake or a mountain top view.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #276
joey2665

Quote:
Tilton you are absolutely correct. This is a common misnomer, however towns tend to be extremely liberal in the assessment values when there is Lake front or lake view property.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #277
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck! A simple review of the tax card of any property with waterfront and / or “views” will clearly show that these significantly add to the assessed value of said property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
erick26 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #278
noreast

I've haven't heard anyone complain about the value when they sell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-30-2018), rander7823 (08-02-2018), Reilly (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #279
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

That's not exactly true. For a while and maybe still they did put right on the tax card extra for the "view". In the old days you were taxed more for a view but it didn't get "spelled" out. That is why so many people got very upset in recent years, when they realized they were actually paying for their view.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #280
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That's not exactly true. For a while and maybe still they did put right on the tax card extra for the "view". In the old days you were taxed more for a view but it didn't get "spelled" out. That is why so many people got very upset in recent years, when they realized they were actually paying for their view.
I can tell you there is no “view tax” in Laconia. I have bills for two properties, one with and one without and the rates are identical.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #281
joey2665

Default The Dive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I've haven't heard anyone complain about the value when they sell.
Assessed value and market value are two entirely different values. Assessed values are usually less than market but when compared on a percentage basis to the market value the homes that have views or waterfront are higher or more closer to market than homes without any view.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread .

The lake is big with many coves and sandbars they really need to change locations daily as to be fare to people who live in those locations. As stated above if the State decides this business is too much of a distractions or nuisance they will not renew their license

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #282
dippasan

Quote:

My neighbors and I stare at that vinyl sided apartment building on the sandbar all day every day. Not to mention the rotating "Dive" sign and all the lights that are on until 9:30-10 pm. If it came in for a few hours and moved along....no problem.
That said I can't even imagine what the homeowners just outside Smalls Cove are thinking. They've gone from having a great view of the lake and watching the sunset from the end of their dock, to staring at that thing blocking their view.....all day!

I don't want it to fail, I'd just like to see it visit and move along.
lakewind (08-04-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #283
Momdip

Quote:
That was my question. Although I think I will enjoy it on occasion, I do not think they should be in the same location everyday as it can be an issue for neighbors. Hopefully they will venture past Smalls Cove soon
We look at it directly across from or little island home and it is indeed an eyesore...daily! While I love seeing boaters at the sand bar. This thing is huge and seriously dampers the beautiful backdrop view we loved. That being said, I realize the business venture of The Dive and the boaters need/desire (who don't own land property) to have a service such as this. I feel if it would have a set schedule and not just be in Smalls Cove from 730 am to 1000 pm and rotate around to other locations, it wouldn't be such s big deal. At night, I can tell you the whole feel of looking out at the stars and moon is ruined by that stupid rotating neon sign.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momdip For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-30-2018), joey2665 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #284
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
My neighbors and I stare at that vinyl sided apartment building on the sandbar all day every day. Not to mention the rotating "Dive" sign and all the lights that are on until 9:30-10 pm. If it came in for a few hours and moved along....no problem.
That said I can't even imagine what the homeowners just outside Smalls Cove are thinking. They've gone from having a great view of the lake and watching the sunset from the end of their dock, to staring at that thing blocking their view.....all day!

I don't want it to fail, I'd just like to see it visit and move along.
Very commendable of you. Did you try contacting this to ask if they plan on moving around and rotating their locations? I would think they do not want a huge backlash or calls to the MP or State so they may react very favorably to a few owners in the Small Cove area voicing their concerns in a civil manner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
dippasan (07-30-2018), gillygirl (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #285
Taz

Default Dive moving around

Say the Dive was going to Braun Bay. How long would it take to go from WAM to Braun? It seems like it would be awful slow and maybe not feasible to go that far. There are not many areas it could go to be profitable. I think 3, Braun, Smalls, Margate sand bars and Braun, Margate maybe not feasible to go to, take too long to get there and back, also not sure how it would handle a rough water day were it to travel. Smalls maybe its only feasible option.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #286
Momo

Default Dive

I do not want any good business in NH to fail, and agree with previous posts that the Dive should alternate their location to where boaters anchor rather than just being in Smalls Cove.... perhaps Wolfeboro or the bridge by Governors Island?
The Following User Says Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:
dowshill (08-01-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #287
thinkxingu

Quote:
Very commendable of you. Did you try contacting this to ask if they plan on moving around and rotating their locations? I would think they do not want a huge backlash or calls to the MP or State so they may react very favorably to a few owners in the Small Cove area voicing their concerns in a civil manner.
I dunno, man, shouldn't the operators of the Dive know enough not to bring that type of presence to that type of area all the time (the key is ALL the time). That would be akin to music-blasting-wake-surfing in Lee's Mills.

I'm on record as not loving The Dive idea--I don't think it matches the history and style of the lake--but also understand it's a business and that whether it succeeds or fails will depend on how many people like it (and I may very well be in the minority).

At the minimum, I think the operators should be thoughtful enough to consider their impact in terms of sight, sounds, lighting, traffic, and environment on the areas they are using.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
dippasan (07-30-2018), joey2665 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #288
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Say the Dive was going to Braun Bay. How long would it take to go from WAM to Braun? It seems like it would be awful slow and maybe not feasible to go that far. There are not many areas it could go to be profitable. I think 3, Braun, Smalls, Margate sand bars and Braun, Margate maybe not feasible to go to, take too long to get there and back, also not sure how it would handle a rough water day were it to travel. Smalls maybe its only feasible option.
Uhhh...I don’t think the dive would make it under the Wiers channel bridge...
gillygirl (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #289
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I haven't seen it up close but I doubt that would make it through the channel and under the Weirs bridge.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #290
loonguy

Am I correct that boat lighting is limited by law to approved navigation lights, i.e. one white light when anchored? Is there some special rule that would permit the extensive lighting on The Dive?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #291
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
Am I correct that boat lighting is limited by law to approved navigation lights, i.e. one white light when anchored? Is there some special rule that would permit the extensive lighting on The Dive?
I would say it's the same set of rules that apply to the Mt. Washington.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #292
Biggd

I have no dog in this fight because I'm not on Winni but I really have to question the judgement of the officials that granted the permits for this floating monstrosity. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
mishman (09-15-2018), Momdip (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #293
Taz

Default Hillcountry. Biggd

Then you have made my point, that eliminates another busy area they could move to if its even feasible distance wise or if it can handle a rough water day. Now we are down to 2 areas it could anchor that would make money, Smalls and Braun. And I seriously question if they would even consider Braun due to distance. At the speed it probably moves at it may take 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back and if its rough longer or maybe it can not even go on a rough day, can you imagine taking 3, 4 footers in the Broads that it could encounter.

Some one mentioned Wolfeboro or Govenors Island Bridge. They are never going to go there, not enough business and no sand bar so patrons or boat drivers can walk to it. Also do you need some kind of permitting in each town, inspections? Maybe other towns it would consider moving to will not allow it? Smalls maybe it. Maybe its not moving anywhere else.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #294
fatlazyless

Quote:

A July 19 quote from myself ........ ho buoy ...... so very wack-a-doozie!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #295
Biggd

Maybe they should just scuttle it in the Witches and have rubber power rafts to bring the food out to your boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Momdip (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #296
fatlazyless

How's about stand up paddle boards paddled by servers who paddle with one arm, and support a bar tray with adult beverages with the other arm!

Sounds like a fun idea and the 60' barge could just drop anchor in deeper waters, and not be needing a shallow sandbar?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #297
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
How's about stand up paddle boards paddled by servers who paddle with one arm, and support a bar tray with adult beverages with the other arm!
As Billy Preston sang....Will It Go Round In Circles?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #298
loonguy

"How's about stand up paddle boards paddled by servers who paddle with one arm, and support a bar tray with adult beverages with the other arm!"

Now I would pay to see that!
The Following User Says Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
erick26 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #299
HellRaZoR004

You can clearly tell it's a Monday...very cranky bunch with a clear NIMBY agenda. The same story with the speed limit, I don't like it so therefore lets pass a regulation so others can't enjoy the resource.

Instead of complaining on the forum do something. If you don't like it and think it impacts your quality of life, well then you should not have purchased land on a public waterway. If you really believe it impacts your "view tax" then I'm sure you could easily sell it for a discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #300
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
You can clearly tell it's a Monday...very cranky bunch with a clear NIMBY agenda. The same story with the speed limit, I don't like it so therefore lets pass a regulation so others can't enjoy the resource.

Instead of complaining on the forum do something. If you don't like it and think it impacts your quality of life, well then you should not have purchased land on a public waterway. If you really believe it impacts your "view tax" then I'm sure you could easily sell it for a discount.
We can tell it's not parked in front of your waterfront.
Closed Thread