Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
Brennan16

Default Ice In

Are we going to have Ice In this Winter season? We were in the Virgin Islands last Winter season so I'm not sure what the temperatures were then.

Can someone provide me with a link of the dates of the declared Ice In from year to year?

Thank you
Brennan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:54 AM   #2
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan16 View Post
Are we going to have Ice In this Winter season? We were in the Virgin Islands last Winter season so I'm not sure what the temperatures were then.

Can someone provide me with a link of the dates of the declared Ice In from year to year?

Thank you
Its still pretty early, I would not write off the winter just yet. Not sure about a complete list, but an article from last winter had ice-in for 2023 as February 6th (the latest on record in the last 50 years that Emerson Aviation has tracked it). 2022 was January 18th.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Susie Cougar

If you go to the homepage, on the left-hand side just below today’s temperature at the weirs, you can see there is a category ice out page.
It has all the years.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
Lake Fan

Still plenty of boats in the water at Harilla's Landing this morning.

https://harilla.org/webcam.html
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
barefootbay

Ain’t happening this year !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
ACME on the Broads

Default No Ice In = No Bubblers $

Perhaps then we'll be able to save a few dollars on our electric bills (for bubblers use)to offset the Moultonborough Tax bill!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:31 PM   #7
ITD

We've been getting ice, then it melts, just need a cold snap.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #8
stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
Ain’t happening this year !
Of course it’s happening; how else will pond hockey go on

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
John Mercier

Street Hockey
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:33 PM   #10
stingray

Should get that into Crowder’s suggestion box. Rollerblades with his boards and nets. He just needs the space in Meredith; it would make him a visionary through this global warming crap.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
John Mercier

We can find him the space.
Also keep the option open of moving inside should it rain or have the deep cold problem during this last one.

The teams bring all their regular gear and a set of rollerblades.
We keep the gymnasiums free at the local schools..

And no more cancellations or shortened events.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #12
ITD

Not sure the local schools will like hockey sticks, pucks and roller blades beating up their gym floors. Some have balked at pickle ball.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
If you go to the homepage, on the left-hand side just below today’s temperature at the weirs, you can see there is a category ice out page.
It has all the years.
OP is looking for ice in info, not ice out.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default WMUR, Nov 20, 2023: winter weather predictions?

Nov 20, 2023: What kind of winter ...... http://www.wmur.com/article/new-hamp...-2024/45898345 is ahead for New Hampshire?

So far, this seems pretty much on-the-money for a prediction? .....

"So, putting that all together, New Hampshire appears to be leaning towards another warmer-than-average season. A few snowstorms are possible, but the overall snowfall is likely to run a bit below normal."

Today is December 29, 2023, and so far this winter I've had to shovel exactly no snow, zero, in Meredith NH with a total accumulation of just 1/4" light dusting in the Dec 3-4 snow storm, so far.

So, where's the snow? ........

It is difficult to shovel or snowblow it when there's no snow, there? ......
Old 12-29-2023, 06:12 PM   #15
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Not sure the local schools will like hockey sticks, pucks and roller blades beating up their gym floors. Some have balked at pickle ball.
Well, then Hockey Weekend were it rains would need to be cancelled.
If it didn't happen too often, it might not make a big difference.

People spending a lot of money to come to Meredith for the weekend, especially with lodging that can't be easily cancelled at the last minute, have to decide if it is worth the cost/effort.

So the less likely the event is to be cancelled or unmanageable *like last year's temperatures* the better it is financially for the businesses in and around town.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:35 AM   #16
panjumbie

Default At least this hasn't happened

https://abcnews.go.com/US/100-fisher...y?id=106003003
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:58 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Default .... happy, happy, happy 2024-new year

Jan 1 and am seriously thinking to remove my 30' dock and two boat lifts and two sailboats, a Mistral 15' and a Hobie 12' Bravo before this here Lake Winnipesaukee freezes over. Assuming it will freeze over enough to require dock removal?

Injured my right foot while playing pickleball on Nov 30, tore the plantar in the right heel and needed a single crutch for walking till Dec 10. Now is feel'n strong enough to do the dock by myself with two powers-pulls and a ramp ....... aarrgghh!!! ....... ......... ho-ho-ho ...... and happy new year!

So, anyone know about the imminent ice, Lake Winnipesaukee situation? Like, is removing the dock really needed this winter or what ...... so, what the heck is happening with the ice out there? .......
Old 01-02-2024, 10:29 PM   #18
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Jan 1 and am seriously thinking to remove my 30' dock and two boat lifts and two sailboats, a Mistral 15' and a Hobie 12' Bravo before this here Lake Winnipesaukee freezes over. Assuming it will freeze over enough to require dock removal?

Injured my right foot while playing pickleball on Nov 30, tore the plantar in the right heel and needed a single crutch for walking till Dec 10. Now is feel'n strong enough to do the dock by myself with two powers-pulls and a ramp ....... aarrgghh!!! ....... ......... ho-ho-ho ...... and happy new year!

So, anyone know about the imminent ice, Lake Winnipesaukee situation? Like, is removing the dock really needed this winter or what ...... so, what the heck is happening with the ice out there? .......
Ice is forming again here near Center Harbor....
Old 01-02-2024, 11:18 PM   #19
gokart-mozart

Default It’s all my fault

This non-winter is all on me, I’m afraid

I bought a fancy electric snowblower in November. I got rid of the 30 year old Ariens, no more carb rebuilds, no more spilled gas.

Well, here we are in January and the machine has turned into a coat rack for going out through the garage.

You have my apologies.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:19 AM   #20
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
This non-winter is all on me, I’m afraid

I bought a fancy electric snowblower in November. I got rid of the 30 year old Ariens, no more carb rebuilds, no more spilled gas.

Well, here we are in January and the machine has turned into a coat rack for going out through the garage.

You have my apologies.
Please don’t take all the blame. I also purchased a new snowblower in September. Have yet to place sand bags in the truck bed

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:21 AM   #21
fatlazyless

There's a maybe snowstorm on Sunday so my goal is to get everything out by then, today is Wednesday, with no ice, no snow, lots of sunshine between today and Sunday so everything is good to go.

Measured the water temperature yesterday in three different tests while working on the dock take-out, and was very surprised to see a 44-degree water temp which is very warm. Plan to remeasure today using a different thermometer. I was expecting more like a 36-degree reading so maybe the thermometer is broken or something?

Anyway, ice always forms along the shore and between the islands and in certain areas before the wide open areas of water freeze-over and its easy to see if there is any ice regardless the true or false warm 44-degree temp reading?

Time will tell ...... ?
Old 01-03-2024, 09:01 AM   #22
JayR

Memories...in December of '79 or '80 my uncle put an Everest sled through thin ice into the lake in about 8 feet of water near shore. I remember trying to help all the older cousins and men the next spring, pulling on this long rope (I was about 6!) as we dutifully removed the snowmobile and hauled it to the cottage where it would eventually be restored one piece at a time over a period of years...

Those were the days when something like this could happen without legal consequences, of course. 45 years must be beyond the statute of limitations, yes? In case some of the readers here might know this story...!

But also, those were the years I remember spending New Year's Eve at the lake every year. The years where there was no ice yet were the exception. When those exceptions happened, the older folks would be shocked because THEIR memories were that it was just about always frozen by New Year's Day!

So yeah, we are in a warmer little period here. I have no intention of debating why. This post is about me and my memories, not the climate! In fact, all I really want is to come up to the lake and have no responsibilities, like when I was a kid playing with his cousins and the parents and older kids took care of everything else. I wanna go back!!!

Happy New Year everyone. Oh, and about this thread, I am guessing we get an ice-in in about three weeks. Cheers!
Old 01-03-2024, 09:13 AM   #23
burgerunh

As of New Years Day I do not believe that there was any ice anywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee. I checked a couple of smaller bodies of water in the area that get early ice and both locations that I checked were more or less wide open water. I would venture to guess that some may have formed the last couple of cold nights in the usual locations that get ice first. If it did not those locations should get some ice in the next week.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:18 AM   #24
codeman671

I think its time I buy a snowmobile. This will ensure we don't get any snow this season.

I put my wife's studded snows on last weekend, that stopped any snow for this week. Maybe if I can get the ones installed on my truck asap I can prevent this weekends storm!

My dock is still in the water, I could use another few days with no ice. I am told it will be pulled this week.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:03 PM   #25
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Memories...in December of '79 or '80 my uncle put an Everest sled through thin ice into the lake in about 8 feet of water near shore. I remember trying to help all the older cousins and men the next spring, pulling on this long rope (I was about 6!) as we dutifully removed the snowmobile and hauled it to the cottage where it would eventually be restored one piece at a time over a period of years...

Those were the days when something like this could happen without legal consequences, of course. 45 years must be beyond the statute of limitations, yes? In case some of the readers here might know this story...!

But also, those were the years I remember spending New Year's Eve at the lake every year. The years where there was no ice yet were the exception. When those exceptions happened, the older folks would be shocked because THEIR memories were that it was just about always frozen by New Year's Day!

So yeah, we are in a warmer little period here. I have no intention of debating why. This post is about me and my memories, not the climate! In fact, all I really want is to come up to the lake and have no responsibilities, like when I was a kid playing with his cousins and the parents and older kids took care of everything else. I wanna go back!!!

Happy New Year everyone. Oh, and about this thread, I am guessing we get an ice-in in about three weeks. Cheers!
I went to go back too Jay!! Three weeks at King’s Grant Inn one summer, two weeks each at Ox-Bow and Ledgecroft the two summers after that are unforgettable. Just daily fun and comfort.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
JayR (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 02:34 AM   #26
fatlazyless

So, measured the Lake Winnipesaukee lake water with a different mercury thermometer and it was 39 on Wednesday as opposed to 44 the day earlier. Lake water needs to get down to 34 before it will freeze, and 39-degrees is actually very warm for Lake Winnipesaukee on January 2.
Descant (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 12:43 PM   #27
stingray

Perhaps the very distant 2nd choice option will save the pond hockey tournament again with an Ice-In on Lake Waukewan. Last year I captured a photo on a frozen Lake Waukewan on 1/9 with fishing huts on it while Meredith Bay was still ice less. Biggd had updated reports last year as this location was prepared. I believe the decision to move to the backup option was made ~1/18. Can anyone determine an Ice-In on Lake Waukewan? The Florida half of my team will be hovering their fingers over the buy button for flights as soon as the tournament looks realistic.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #28
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Its still pretty early, I would not write off the winter just yet. Not sure about a complete list, but an article from last winter had ice-in for 2023 as February 6th (the latest on record in the last 50 years that Emerson Aviation has tracked it). 2022 was January 18th.
I just found an old article from 2009 in Foster’s where David Emerson had said that average ice- in happens between January 15 and January 30.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:35 PM   #29
GregW11

Open water in Waukewan this morning. Some ice around the edges. Mostly cold weather predicted through Tuesday - but then more rain possible later next week. I don’t know. I’d find it hard to bank on Waukewan for the tournament this year.

GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I just found an old article from 2009 in Foster’s where David Emerson had said that average ice- in happens between January 15 and January 30.
I totally agree with that. I always said it was the third week of Jan most years before the broads were also frozen. The bays freeze sooner of course.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:41 PM   #31
codeman671

This morning there was nothing all the way to Parker Marine. There is a skim in that little cove to the left of the bay accessed by the culvert under Rt 11 where all the colorful cottages are.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:51 PM   #32
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Perhaps the very distant 2nd choice option will save the pond hockey tournament again with an Ice-In on Lake Waukewan. Last year I captured a photo on a frozen Lake Waukewan on 1/9 with fishing huts on it while Meredith Bay was still ice less. Biggd had updated reports last year as this location was prepared. I believe the decision to move to the backup option was made ~1/18. Can anyone determine an Ice-In on Lake Waukewan? The Florida half of my team will be hovering their fingers over the buy button for flights as soon as the tournament looks realistic.

Just barely a skim coat of ice beginning on Waukewan now. They bay where I am is iced over. We will need at least 2 weeks of straight cold for it to be safe. It's starting to look a little bleak for Winni.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:08 PM   #33
stingray

Thanks for the updates guys as grim as it looks.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #34
stingray

Curious and hopeful Pond Hockey will still happen. Is there a layer of ice on Lake Waukewan before this next heat wave? The long range forecast looks promisingly colder once we get through Saturday.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:02 AM   #35
ITD

The area where they hold the tournament is iced over now, or as of Saturday it was. As long as it does not get too warm, there may be a glimmer of hope for the tournament.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:19 AM   #36
stingray

A very optimistic message came out yesterday from the comish

“The long-range forecast looks great and both Waukewan and Meredith Bay (believe it or not) have ice.”

It was so encouraging; the Florida guys booked their flights.

Very grateful when Lake Waukewan bails us out. But does Meredith Bay really have ice? How do they look after today’s monsoon?

Old 01-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #37
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
A very optimistic message came out yesterday from the comish

“The long-range forecast looks great and both Waukewan and Meredith Bay (believe it or not) have ice.”

It was so encouraging; the Florida guys booked their flights.

Very grateful when Lake Waukewan bails us out. But does Meredith Bay really have ice? How do they look after today’s monsoon?

Going to get real cold this week so hopefully a good sign.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:12 PM   #38
stingray

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fas...lake-make-ice/

Nice article that models ice thickness vs Temp over days.

Bold prediction from the article: if Meredith Bay has a coat of ice tomorrow or Tuesday; there will be ~7 3/4” of ice by ~1/22.

Could start a $5 pool winner takes all on what the thickness will be

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stingray For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-19-2024), LoveLakeLife (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:23 PM   #39
Biggd

Quote:
https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fas...lake-make-ice/

Nice article that models ice thickness vs Temp over days.

Bold prediction from the article: if Meredith Bay has a coat of ice tomorrow or Tuesday; there will be ~7 3/4” of ice by ~1/22.

Could start a $5 pool winner takes all on what the thickness will be

I'm going up on Wednesday, I will try to give you a report on Wakewaun and Meredith bay then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
PCTim (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:48 PM   #40
stingray

Thanks Biggd

Old 01-14-2024, 07:21 PM   #41
John Mercier

There must be secondary factors also.
The lake doesn't develop ice evenly; nor do the two lakes that are relatively near each other develop ice at the same rate.

Winnisquam was pretty wide open today. I didn't go by Opechee, but I think Saturday morning that it was iced over. Hard to tell with low visibility that morning.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:55 AM   #42
fatlazyless

Monday, January 15 is the first day of a forecast ten-day cold snap with temps in the 10-25 degree range.

On January 14 the Lake Winnipesaukee water temp was 37-degrees as reported by the Winni Marine website that's located in the Weirs channel. Lake water needs to be 34-degrees at the surface in order to freeze and become solid ice.

On January 14 there was absolutely no shoreline perimeter ice, anywhere, in the vicinity of Horse Island, or anywhere looking across to Bear or Mark Island.

Meredith Bay close to the big stop-lights intersection, has an area of ice between the island at the Meredith Bay Yacht Club and across the bay where the ice hockey tournament is staged to the town dock on the right, close to the Town Docks restaurant.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:04 PM   #43
John Mercier

Snow tomorrow... so that would insulate from the colder temps.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:58 PM   #44
C-Bass

Squam looked ice over today
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:04 AM   #45
ApS

Question Methane in Ice?

Suppose you dont like how the ice looks?
Brief video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/6AtMgF5fP...0uK8LAbHbsgjMY

(somewhat).

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:16 AM   #46
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Suppose you dont like how the ice looks?
Brief video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/6AtMgF5fP...0uK8LAbHbsgjMY

(somewhat).

That is pretty cool, science is awesome
Old 01-16-2024, 09:06 AM   #47
fatlazyless

Question ..... slice through the ice, recreational boat.

As of yesterday, January 15th, while removing my dock, am still seeing some recreational motorboats out there between south Bear Island, Mark and Timber Island making wakes just like the summer time plus it was a beautiful sunny day. Saw a 20' center console and a 20' pontoon a couple different times during the day. I imagine they soon pay good attention to the soon-to-be-here ice formation so's they don't get iced in, somewhere out there?

Was unable to see if it had the red 2024 bow sticker ..... too far away?

A 20' vee hull can probably cut through one inch of ice without much problem while moving up on plane at 20-mph. For a 20' pontoon boat the ice cutting dynamics are probably not too good, and it would just slowly move forward at 5-mph, or something, and smash through the ice similar to a construction barge.

Somewhere in Poland, Latvia or Sweden, maybe they build a 20' recreational boat designed with a strengthened vee hull, designed to cut into and through the ice like a can opener!
The Real BigGuy (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #48
dickiej

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
That is pretty cool, science is awesome
This is interesting….with the melting of the permafrost, huge quantities of methane are being released…can we capture it and use it?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #49
John Mercier

It might cost more than the value of the methane on a commercial level, but I am sure that innovative residents nearby could capture and use it.

But other releases are sudden and hard to detect until after the fact, and probably too hard to capture.... https://www.pbs.org/video/arctic-sinkholes-9jwenj/
Old 01-16-2024, 03:43 PM   #50
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Default Emerson Aviation Update

We shared this on FB yesterday from Emerson Aviation

"It's been a very slow start to the Winter season on Lake Winnipesaukee. only some thin ice in the lower portion of Alton Bay, in and near the Meredith Town Docks and only 50% of the Moultonboro Back Bay area. Colder temperatures are forecasted for the remainder of the week. That will allow many of the bays and coves to freeze but we need near or sub zero temps to get "ice in". We'll see."
Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 07:38 AM   #51
fatlazyless

Question ....... 37 - 36 - 35 - 34 ...... ice-in!?

Wednesday, Jan 17; so, the water temp sensor at 'Winni Marine-live feed' in the Weirs channel has dropped one degree from 37 to 36 in the last two days. For Lake Winnipesaukee to ice-in, big time, it needs to get down to 34! .......

Just got me freak'n dock all out ...... a killer freak'n tough task ...... on freak'n Monday ....... ho-ho-ho! .....
Old 01-17-2024, 02:51 PM   #52
Grant

The bottom aerial photo in that LWA post shows our old shore, and you can actually see a cluster of pilings that the new owners placed offshore to help with the annual ice damage. The cluster is so big and so randomly placed (NOT adjacent to the dock/boathouse), that I was surprised they got permission to have it installed.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #53
stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm going up on Wednesday, I will try to give you a report on Wakewaun and Meredith bay then.
Curious Biggd if you got up there yesterday?

Old 01-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #54
Biggd

Quote:

I'm here, Waukewan is frozen and snow covered, I even saw a couple of people Ice fishing about 50' from shore, not sure if I would trust it. I haven't been by Meredith bay yet but I think Waukewan will be a go with this stretch cold weather leading up to the hockey tournament
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
CampHopeHockey (01-18-2024), DotRat (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:17 PM   #55
stingray

Quote:
I'm here, Waukewan is frozen and snow covered, I even saw a couple of people Ice fishing about 50' from shore, not sure if I would trust it. I haven't been by Meredith bay yet but I think Waukewan will be a go with this stretch cold weather leading up to the hockey tournament
Thanks

Old 01-18-2024, 03:42 PM   #56
CampHopeHockey

Stingray - What division are ya'll? We are coming in from Wisconsin for the 30+ division and have been monitoring it closely. Drinks on us!

According to IceHoles, they are going to start putting out Bob Houses on the lake this Saturday. Weather looks great, hoping the IceOps crew can get out there and start their work.

Have seen people skating on 6+ inches in coves on Squam Lake already this week. Looks like most of the coves are locking up nicely.

Also, for what it is worth, rumor is one of the backup plans was flooding the local municipal airport!
CampHopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CampHopeHockey For This Useful Post:
stingray (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:36 PM   #57
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:

I went through Meredith today. About 1/2 of the visible area of the lake was skimmed over and the rest was open water. There is ice near the docks but it is open where the circulators are working.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-18-2024), PCTim (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:26 PM   #58
stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampHopeHockey View Post
Stingray - What division are ya'll? We are coming in from Wisconsin for the 30+ division and have been monitoring it closely. Drinks on us!

According to IceHoles, they are going to start putting out Bob Houses on the lake this Saturday. Weather looks great, hoping the IceOps crew can get out there and start their work.

Have seen people skating on 6+ inches in coves on Squam Lake already this week. Looks like most of the coves are locking up nicely.

Also, for what it is worth, rumor is one of the backup plans was flooding the local municipal airport!
Safe travels and have a great tournament. We are old f’s +50 Shinny. Ready for them to roll out a +60 a few years ago.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:25 AM   #59
PCTim

Quote:
Safe travels and have a great tournament. We are old f’s +50 Shinny. Ready for them to roll out a +60 a few years ago.

Methuen Goons here. Mostly old and a couple of young ones. We play in Duster so we don't have to worry about playing on Sunday (although we don't have to worry about that anyways).
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:40 AM   #60
WinnisquamZ

Last evening Winnisquam appeared to freeze over here at the northern end. With the cold weather hanging around and a light snow coming after that we cold be ice fishing next weekend

Old 01-19-2024, 12:07 PM   #61
John Mercier

It is pretty cold.
Not supposed to really warm up until Thursday (45 predicted).
Old 01-19-2024, 03:07 PM   #62
ITD

Was over the lake this morning, I would estimate about half skimmed. Saw some ice fishermen near the Meredith docks around 730 am, they were gone at 1130.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:17 PM   #63
WinterHarborGuy

Default Wolfeboro conditions today

Wolfeboro bay has skimmed over, with a section of open water size of a basketball court where back bay dumps water in. Town docks is chunky due to bubblers…

AD96-FCC1-D773-4-C4-D-BC7-F-EC1-DF142-B8-D1

Winter Harbor has a small bit of open water out from the beach, but it is largely skimmed…

A32-A6-C80-8898-4-BC8-B6-EF-ADB3-F24-A33-B6
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterHarborGuy For This Useful Post:
Bear Guy (01-19-2024), JAMonk (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 04:45 PM   #64
JAMonk

Thirsty Turtles I and II coming from Boston next week. They think they are going to get bobhouses on meredith bay this weekend? or Waukewan. I feel we will probably be on waukewan again. cold weekend but going to be hard to get 4" of ice in meredith bay without a few more days like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampHopeHockey View Post

JAMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:48 PM   #65
JAMonk

Meredith town docks thick enough for ice fishing? or only in close to shore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Was over the lake this morning, I would estimate about half skimmed. Saw some ice fishermen near the Meredith docks around 730 am, they were gone at 1130.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:34 PM   #66
Lakes Region Guy

Has lily pond frozen over yet? This is usually an indication that winnipesaukee will freeze over in 7- 10 days
Lakes Region Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:40 AM   #67
C-Bass

Its been single digits for temperature the last 4 mornings so it should growing ice out there fairly quickly and not too windy either.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:11 AM   #68
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes Region Guy View Post
Has lily pond frozen over yet? This is usually an indication that winnipesaukee will freeze over in 7- 10 days
There were many ice skaters on Lily Pond this morning. Glendale Bay is still open,

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #69
Biggd

They were staking off Waukewan this morning when I drove by about 9am.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:44 PM   #70
JAMonk

for pond hockey classic or something else

Quote:
They were staking off Waukewan this morning when I drove by about 9am.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #71
John Mercier

Pond Hockey.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:32 PM   #72
JAMonk

bummer. was hoping it could happen on meredith bay. been a few years. oh well, at least it's happening
The Following User Says Thank You to JAMonk For This Useful Post:
stingray (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #73
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMonk View Post
bummer. was hoping it could happen on meredith bay. been a few years. oh well, at least it's happening
I think they stake off the area early to keep the ice huts off the area where they are going to set up. Meredith bay doesn't look good as of today.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #74
JAMonk

Roger that. Long term forecast isn't great but seems like waukewan has plenty of thickness to make it through a mild stretch. hope for the best after this upcoming week
Old 01-21-2024, 12:34 PM   #75
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Ice

From my vantage point overlooking the lake, there is no ice whatsoever in the broads from Lockes Island to Parker island and I’m sure beyond. The wind is definitely a factor in why ice is not forming. White caps everywhere!

I can clearly see ice in the channel where nipple rock is going past Bear towards Center Harbor.

We need cold windless nights for ice to form!

Dan
Old 01-21-2024, 04:58 PM   #76
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes Region Guy View Post
This weekend Lilly Pond was busy with ice fishing from a LOT of CT people. And today the dirt bikes had their course plowed and they were riding around.
I'm curious about why you feel that the lake freezes 7-10 days after Lilly pond? Have never seen that happen at all. Ice out a week or 2 after, but not ice in. Just curious on how you got to that indication?
Paugus Bay down at the end near T-bones looked ice locked in, I couldn't tell you how thick, I wouldn't be out there, but I didn't notice any water when I drove by quickly.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:48 PM   #77
Wishbone

Default Meredith Bay

Saw two tents on Meredith Bay ice fishing today.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:18 PM   #78
codeman671

Very windy here today, gusts to 40mph up on the hill. Wide open water and whitecaps out front. Alton Bay is frozen to the mouth, they are reporting 4-6” down by the pavilion. A fair amount of activity on the ice today. A bit too early for me!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:50 PM   #79
Senter Cove Guy

Default Ice Fishing Tents

There were 2 tents out in front of us today a few hundred feet west of flasher 12. They were gone by 3pm. Surprised to see them.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:17 AM   #80
stingray

Pic from yesterday by the ramp at Lake Waukewan. Can see the stakes Biggd mentioned if you zoom in

Name:  IMG_3489.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  118.4 KB

Old 01-22-2024, 12:42 PM   #81
JAMonk

certainly looks solid enough to withstand the mild days this week. nights need to be cold
Old 01-23-2024, 05:51 AM   #82
bobkatfly

Default 19 mile bay

4 tents, 1 house and a couple of ATV's over the weekend.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #83
WinnisquamZ

Winnisquam is ice north of Pots Island. Open water area appears to be where the river flows. Unusually, must have something to do with the high water levels. Little bit of snow coming on top of it. I’ve fishing season is here.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:48 AM   #84
DRH

Default Waukewan Snow Clearing

Snowblowing crews were busy yesterday and this morning clearing snow off Waukewan in preparation for the Pond Hockey tournament.

Name:  20240123_101229-3.jpg
Views: 3950
Size:  187.2 KB
Biggd (01-23-2024), PCTim (01-23-2024), Slickcraft (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 11:48 AM   #85
JAMonk

looks good - fingers crossed the long term forecast drops. 40s is some real soft ice
Old 01-23-2024, 01:08 PM   #86
PCTim

I'm guessing at this point it's definitely on Waukewan? Hoping what's there holds up until next weekend.
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 01:49 PM   #87
JAMonk

Yes - meredith bay isn't being prepped. waukewan definitely thick enough to last through the tough stretch ahead. just need long term forecast to dip into 20s the days we are actually playing, or the top of the ice will be too soft. I'm guessing they tell us waukewan is 100% when they release the schedules tomorrow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMonk For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (01-31-2024), PCTim (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #88
ITD

Saw a lone ice fisherman on Center Harbor this afternoon. He was pretty far out, right in the middle.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:52 AM   #89
Winnymonstah

How is Lake Waukewan holding up
Through this mild spell? Weather looks promising for next week otherwise
Winnymonstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:56 AM   #90
John Mercier

Should be fine...
Other than the parking not being optimum...
It should be an epic weekend weather and event-wise.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:50 AM   #91
garysanfran

Default Meredith Bay not quite safe...

From the LDS...

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...468f94070.html
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:59 AM   #92
ishoot308

Default No Ice In

Based on the current ice / no ice condition, today's date and the upcoming 14 day weather forecast...I can comfortably say that in my opinion Winnipesaukee will not see an ice in or complete ice over this year.

I guess that just means us islanders will get out to our camps a little earlier which is fine with me!!

Dan
Old 01-31-2024, 11:06 AM   #93
WinnisquamZ

Last no ice in was recorded???

Old 01-31-2024, 01:10 PM   #94
John Mercier

"Asked when the last time the Big Lake was so open at the end of January, Emerson said, “I can honestly say, never. Usually, the whole lake is frozen for some years just the Broads are stubborn to catch.”
Old 02-01-2024, 11:37 AM   #95
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
"Asked when the last time the Big Lake was so open at the end of January, Emerson said, “I can honestly say, never. Usually, the whole lake is frozen for some years just the Broads are stubborn to catch.”
Last year was February 6th. I would not count an ice-in out of the question yet, but the next 10 days doesn't appear to support it.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:46 PM   #96
JayR

I was wrong, I thought there would be enough cold in January but there were too many windy days when it was cold enough. Looks grim now, no Arctic air anywhere in sight for the first half of February.

But there will still have to be an ice-out if the bays are frozen...so let's make our guesses in the contest. In fact, I encourage everyone to make their guess TODAY (except me, I'll wait till the end of the month!)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:18 PM   #97
John Mercier

The contest requires Emerson to declare Ice In sometime in February, and not declare Ice Out before March.

So if Emerson never declares or the glazing over the Broads does not hold... the contest is cancelled.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:53 PM   #98
codeman671

Quote:
The contest requires Emerson to declare Ice In sometime in February, and not declare Ice Out before March.

So if Emerson never declares or the glazing over the Broads does not hold... the contest is cancelled.
How so? You don't technically have to have full ice-in during a season in order to have and ice-out in the spring. Ice-out is when the Mount can reach all of its ports. It can't do it now, but it is not ice-in either. if it never locks up, there will still be an ice-out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-01-2024), ishoot308 (02-01-2024), Resident 2B (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 03:00 PM   #99
ishoot308

Quote:
The contest requires Emerson to declare Ice In
Actually the rules as written do not say that at all and never have.

The changes the webmaster made TODAY allow that to happen as the rules state he is allowed to change the rules at any time which he did today...

Honestly and not that I care, but I see no difference if ice in is declared as Ice in does nor affect ice out as it relates to the mount and her ports...Ice out will still be declared by Emerson if the lake freezes over or not....

Dan
Biggd (02-01-2024), codeman671 (02-01-2024), Merrymeeting (02-01-2024), Senter Cove Guy (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 03:13 PM   #100
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
How so? You don't technically have to have full ice-in during a season in order to have and ice-out in the spring. Ice-out is when the Mount can reach all of its ports. It can't do it now, but it is not ice-in either. if it never locks up, there will still be an ice-out.
It was #2 on the contest condition.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
webmaster (02-14-2024)