Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
lakegirl

Thumbs up Snowmobile Trails to reopen

I read this in the Union Leader...http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=50403
Old 02-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Roberts and Faraway?

Any word on the trails to Mt. Roberts and Mt. Faraway? The trail from Rt. 15 up to Roberts is one of the best on the mountain.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Zee

The only trail open, other then corridor 15 is a short loop up to Mt. Shaw lookout. Mt. Roberts and Faraway accesses were fenced off.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Cobalt

Cool Corridor 15-A Disaster

I traveled Corridor 15 over the mountain on Saturday the 12th and experienced some of the worst conditions ever. I appreciate the lack of time that trail was open, but there was adequate snow and no groomers in sight. I hope that we are not in for a new era of poor conditions resulting from the owners prohibiting or postponing opening of these trails in the future.

My biggest regret, next to watching snowmobilers slide sideways into each other on the narrow trails, was the thought that I had to return to Moultonboro on the same trail.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Zee

Default I have to agree..

I have to agree. Both Saturday and Sunday, Corr. 15 over the Castle trails was absolutely horrid. Yes, there was a lot of sled traffic, but there was no sign of groomers. I understand the groomers were out Saturday night for one pass at least in Moultonboro. I don't know if the Ossippee side was groomed. But with such heavy sled use, why wouldn't they send the groomer out mid-day at least on weekends? It's not as if they are over their grooming budget, there hasn't been anything to groom. The Wolfeboro Snowmobile Club which abuts the castle trails were well groomed and in very good shape. It's just too bad the pig roast was postponed for a couple of weeks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Can the Castle problem be fixed?

Finally, there was enough snow to venture onto the Castle trails - but we sure could use more. I went up on Sunday morning, and saw the state groomer heading west to east. He was doing a good job, but was having some mechanical problems that delayed the grooming for a while. The Moultonboro snowmobile club no longer grooms the trail, so the state is responsible and I'm sure it has limited resources. I'm still miffed about the trails being closed in the Ossipees. There is no real good view of the lake any more. The small loop right above the castle is closed. The bald peak trail is closed. The trails to Mt. Roberts and Faraway are closed. Even Black snout trail is closed. Having Shaw still open is nice - but you look north and east. What is the reasoning now behind the trail closing of each trail? Are we at risk of losing Red hill too? Is there anything that can be done to convince those making the decisions to change their minds? I noticed that hunting is still allowed, so it can't be only the issue of animals. We're back to needing some dialog, and understanding.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Zee

Default Castle

Am I correct in my recollection that one of the issues was to leave the trails for cross country skiers and snowshoers? If so, I have been up those trails for two weekends in a row and have yet to see anyone other than snowmobilers. The trails that are fenced off have seen no new footprints or ski-prints in them, just animal tracks. I don't think there is that much of an interest in the area. If they want to make a little money, they should open up the trail to the stable and re-open the building for a weekend snack stop as they have done in previous years. If the number of sleds we saw was any indication, they would fare very well.

Also, in year's past didn't the Moultonboro snowmobile club groom it? I understand the state is doing it now. Is the State paying Moultonboro to do it or do they keep their own equipment there?