Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Moultonborough PD

An officer showed up at the VK on saturday asking too see one of my employees. We were crazy busy at the time so I asked the officer if he could come back a little later, as it would totally disrupt the kitchen to pull this person away. Come to find out he wanted her to register her dog. Scared her half to death and I'm wondering why they would contact someone at work for such a minor thing
Then I found out that they had called another of my employees at home and left a message that if she did not immediately register her dog (which is crippled and never leaves it's back yard) that a WARRANT would be issued for her arrest.
Seems like pretty heavy handed police work for our little town.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
travaler18

Default big crimes

everyone must be obeying the speed limit lately, nothing for them to do. would you like us to ship some criminals up from laconia to keep the cops busy, we have plenty.
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
An officer showed up at the VK on saturday asking too see one of my employees.We were crazy busy at the time so I asked the officer if he could come back a little later,as it would totally disrupt the kitchen to pull this person away.Come to find out he wanted her to register her dog.Scared her half to death and I'm wondering why they would contact someone at work for such a minor thing
Then I found out that they had called another of my employees at home and left a message that if she did not immediately register her dog (which is crippled and never leaves it's back yard) that a WARRANT would be issued for her arrest.
Seems like pretty heavy handed police work for our little town.
So the economy even has the local PD shagging down $20 bills

Maybe just maybe they were actually doing her a favor by letting her know the town was out to get here before it became official with a warrant. The town should be ashamed.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
woodynh

Isn't Scott Kinmond taking another job?

Maybe they are trying to get his job.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Road Agent

Scott Kinmond will be retiring as MPD Chief in 2 months or thereabouts. He was elected road agent in Moultonborough, which in many towns would be considered DPW Director. For some reason it is an elected position in Mboro.

I will send him a note and let him know about the situation.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As a land owner in Moultonborough and tax payer, I do find this kind of behavior unfavorable. Generally I find the police in the town do a great job, but you always have exceptions......

Now lets look at the Warrent for not licenscing a dog issue.... first a warrent needs to be issued by a judge the last I knew, and if a judge is willing to issue a warrent for arrest for that type of mistameanor then the problem isn't as much with the cop as it is with the judge. In any case what I would suggest is getting the officers name and badge number and then getting in touch with the police dept. and filing a complaint. Asking for a name and badge number are legitimate questions to ask a police officer that is acting in official capacity. And If an officer is making threats such as I will get a warrant then his superiors need to know so they can act upon the information. And know one complaint against an officer for something might not do very much but if an officer gets several complaints against them, then something general happens.

At any rate a Warrant doesn't just get issued by a town or a Police Dept. there are legal steps to that process....

Ok my babbling here is done......
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default My Understanding

OK, here is my understanding of the situation: Summons for service (dog registration) are after numerous tries to get people to respond to register dogs. The Town Clerk is mandated by law to forward to MPD for service and MPD is mandated to service.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
dpg

Hey listen give the M police dept a break. I mean they work hard for their 7.75 an hour. My kid also had an issue with them last summer on our Assoc's beach. It was a private (assoc party) yes he was 19 and did have a beer (yeah technically illegal.) You would of thought he and a couple friends were members of a large drug cartell. They were hauled away, did the court thing, the whole nine yards. The funny part was when they went in front of a judge he gave them a fine and basically told them to move on. I'm not at all biast (really I'm not) towards them but I think they all have a "little man syndrome" up there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
hazmatmedic

Default Bad eggs but few here

You guys are killing me. "Technically illegal"? Come on. He got caught. Too Bad. I got caught at 19 too. Pay the fine or take the class and yes move on. Officer was doing his job.

75% of all home owner's insurance claims are dog related. I hate paying my dog registartion every year. My friend stops at my home every year and says," I need you to pay your fees." I say ok and pay the next day.

Our towns can be very slow for officers. That's good. If the officer is making his rounds and its slow, sure he should collect. Samian did the right thing and asked if it could be done later and the officer did the right thing and said sure. It got paid right. When I pay my registrations, I always ask if I have to pay for the turtle on my property and if I have to pay a partial registration for the moose that passes through my property.

Every department may have some "yahoos" but my experience has been very positive when dealing with many of our boys/girls in blue!
hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
OK, here is my understanding of the situation: Summons for service (dog registration) are after numerous tries to get people to respond to register dogs. The Town Clerk is mandated by law to forward to MPD for service and MPD is mandated to service.
I agree with you Vita. It's really not the PD's issue, unless they were unprofessional which was not said, it's the town that makes this a big deal. Just leave people alone already.

Her first mistake was registering her dog in the first place. If she just ignored the law like most people they would not even be looking for her.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
Shreddy

Default Unnecessary...

I have had a fair share of UNNECESSARY run ins with MPD. The Chief aside, every MPD officer I have come across is a peckerhead with nothing better to do and clearly hates his own life so takes it out on others. I got ACCUSED of underage drinking a few years ago when I was 20. They tried breathalizing me and everything else. I passed everything and they insisted on taking me home to my parents. I ended up being WALKED home by the police officer. Utterly harrassment to say the least! My parents as well as the parents who witnessed everything were not too happy. Recently, a friend of mine was ACCUSED, once again, of underage drinking because there were beer cans around. I'm over 21 and so were some other friends. Needless to say, the friend who wasn't 21 got CUFFED (a compliant young lady), yes hands behind the back and cuffed. I've been interrogated at unnecessary times by the MPD. They are on these power trips. There job is to protect and serve, not harrass. I understand there are laws, but harrassment is not enforcing laws. Pretty soon the only thing they'll be protecting is their jobs because I know MANY who are unhappy with that department.

I've sat in the past down the beach with friends drinking and the Chief would approach us. Knowing we were not doing any harm, he would just hang out and shoot the **** with us. No harm done. Didn't even ask if we were all of age. Down to earth guy who does his job correctly when it needs to be done. Something needs to change, and soon, in the Moultonboro Police Department.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Lakepilot

I think the employee misunderstood the MPD. Per 466.1x, if she didn't register the dog they issue a warrant NOT FOR HER ARREST but rather a civil warrant that requires her to pay a forfeiture of an additional $25 and to possibly take the dog. If they take the dog there are some storage costs. If she still doesn't pay within 15 days then it goes to district court and she could be fined up to an additional $50.

Again the key is that I doubt she was threatened with arrest. She misunderstood the meaning of Warrant.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
SAMIAM

Actually. Lakepilot, she saved the message on her recorder.....There was no misunderstanding. They are a nice family, businesspeople in town....never been in trouble. Really no need to come down so hard. We used to be able to walk into the PD and chat with them. Now there is bulletproof glass in the lobby.
Don't get me wrong. There is not a better dept in the lakes region and the've always been there whenever we needed them. I'm just a little suprised that they are coming on so strong over such a small problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmatmedic View Post
You guys are killing me. "Technically illegal"? Come on. He got caught. Too Bad. I got caught at 19 too. Pay the fine or take the class and yes move on. Officer was doing his job.

75% of all home owner's insurance claims are dog related. I hate paying my dog registartion every year. My friend stops at my home every year and says," I need you to pay your fees." I say ok and pay the next day.

Our towns can be very slow for officers. That's good. If the officer is making his rounds and its slow, sure he should collect. Samian did the right thing and asked if it could be done later and the officer did the right thing and said sure. It got paid right. When I pay my registrations, I always ask if I have to pay for the turtle on my property and if I have to pay a partial registration for the moose that passes through my property.

Every department may have some "yahoos" but my experience has been very positive when dealing with many of our boys/girls in blue!
Lets get one thing straight, he was caught and deserved what happened - I agree. Point is read the rest of this thread (and the ones following my original.) 5 or 6 years ago I was pulled over for taking a right at a stop sign and not using my blinker again, my fault totally. Point is the car in fron of me didn't and neither did the one behind me - they had NH plates mine are not. I know the car behind me didn't cause we ended up at the same restaurant and the driver approached me and said bummer...I was behind you that's when he told me he "never" uses directionals at that intersection. Was I pulled over because I had an out of state registration? I will not speculate or make that claim, I have no idea.
Everyone seems to like the chief. Sorry folks he's the "head cop" He's the guy to make changes (if necessary.) Sounds like residents and non resident tax payers alike should start getting p'd at the job HE'S doing. Phew...I'm finished..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
twoplustwo

Default certified mail seems a more economical option...

...but we have so very, very, very many police officers in this town, I suppose it gives them something to do.

My husband was cuffed and stuffed in our freaking driveway for driving with a suspended license. The suspension was in error (remember the EZ Pass debacle? Yeah, he was one of those), he was never notified it was suspended, and the entire thing was dropped once I got the DOT and a state rep involved, but cuffing and stuffing a guy in his driveway in front of his kids for a suspended license? Really? Go harass my teenager for parking on Playground Road and search her car for booze and drugs only to find leftover Chinese food and empty Dunkin Donuts cups. Oh wait, you already did that.

At least they dumped my dog registration threat off at my house. I really don't need them coming to work to get me.

I've always been a fan of the chief, he's a good man. I have to question this latest totalled cruiser issue though. His response to the Meredith Snews was really sketchy. It didn't happen in Moultonborough so no one needed to hear about it in the news? Our cruiser totalled, our expensive dog running amok. But it happened outside town limits so it's not newsworthy. Things that make you go hmmm.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
Lakepilot

It sounds like the officer that left that message doesn't know the law, and that there is a lack of respect for the folks that pay his salary. I wonder what their training is?
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
4Fun

I'll ask again. Why does anyone even register their dog?? Who's going to know if you don't??? Do you also have to register a bike in moultonboro?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Dog registration in New Haven

This is from the New Haven, CT website, which I copied for your interest:

"DOGS NEED TO BE COUNTED TOO!

State law requires all pet owners to license their dogs. Failure to register/license your dog(s) can result in a fine.

That’s why each year, in the month of JUNE, the City of New Haven notifies all dog owners to re-register and license their dogs. It’s an important and easy thing to do for your pet and our community. Of course, any dog owner can get a dog license for a new dog or re-license a previously registered dog at any time. Why Bother?[/I]

* Licensing your dog keeps your pet safe. Should your dog get lost, it increases the likelihood that it will be safely returned home to it’s owner.
* A licensed dog tells the community that the animal has been properly vaccinated for rabies. It helps reduce the threat of rabies. In the event your dog bites a person, it usually eliminates the need for quarantine and rabies testing.
* It’s a good investment for the health and well-being of your dog. It doesn’t cost much for a license, only $6.00 per dog, if the animal has been spayed or neutered. A charge of $16.00 per dog is applied if the animal is not "fixed".

IT’S EASY TO REGISTER/LICENSE YOUR DOG

Just bring proof that your dog has been vaccinated for rabies and is spayed or neutered to:

The New Haven Animal Shelter

81 Fournier Street – New Haven
946-8110
open 12:30 to 4:30pm, Monday to Saturday

or

The City Town Clerk’s Office

200 Orange Street – New Haven
946-8349
open 9am to 5pm, Mon. thru Fri.

Licensing $8 spayed/neutered
$19 intact "

Out of curiosity, how many police officers are gainfully employed in Moultonboro?
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Out of curiosity, how many police officers are gainfully employed in Moultonboro?
You can check it out HERE

Moultonboro has an approx population of 5,000. Multiply out how many the city of New Haven would have with the same ratio
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I'll ask again. Why does anyone even register their dog?? Who's going to know if you don't??? Do you also have to register a bike in moultonboro?
To answer your question, can a dog get along just fine without being registered...yeah probably. There can be issues that can possibly come into play if you do not register them. A few that come into mind are if they bite someone or maybe get lost. Registering them doesn't solve either issue but you will be in for a much harder time should either happen to you (well, your pet.) One thing that does come into mind is why are all these people letting the registration expire? My dog is six yrs old and a year hasn't gone by I've forgotten about him, registering him that is.

But any how, sounds to me like the tail is wagging the dog within the MPD. Can the chief maybe be TOO nice?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
twoplustwo

Default you have no choice if you vaccinate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post

If you vaccinate your dog (for rabies), your vet sends a notice to your town, that's how they know you have a dog, and why you have no choice but to register it. I always assumed it was one more state law designed to make us spend more money.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
If you vaccinate your dog (for rabies), your vet sends a notice to your town, that's how they know you have a dog, and why you have no choice but to register it. I always assumed it was one more state law designed to make us spend more money.

Wanna spend some money? Come to Mass. At least if I spent 7,000 a year in taxes "up there" chances are I'd be looking at a lake, at least from a distance.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
twoplustwo

Default gotta take the good with the bad

Wanna spend some money? Come to Mass. At least if I spent 7,000 a year in taxes "up there" chances are I'd be looking at a lake, at least from a distance.

My college degree is useless in M'Boro and I'm working 3 jobs since I was laid off in October. If I was down there, I'm sure I'd have better luck finding a full time job. Or I'd be rocking it out with Massachusett's awesome unemployment bennies. But I moved here 15 years ago from Philly for a reason and I love this place, plus I don't want anyone calling me a masshole. We all have our crosses to bear, I suppose.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

My college degree is useless in M'Boro and I'm working 3 jobs since I was laid off in October. If I was down there, I'm sure I'd have better luck finding a full time job. Or I'd be rocking it out with Massachusett's awesome unemployment bennies. But I moved here 15 years ago from Philly for a reason and I love this place, plus I don't want anyone calling me a masshole. We all have our crosses to bear, I suppose.
Yup, I have a degree and a reasonable job down here I suppose. I don't make "big" money by a long-shot but couldn't touch my income up there. I have never actually tried looking just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
wifi

Great weather day for a change. Driving after 'a few' drinks is always a bad choice, especially TONIGHT. Always use a designated driver.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
twoplustwo

Default that was quite the event they staged

Did you see that last night, wifi? I drove by on my way home from work and whoa, talk about massive resources. I wanted to stop and look around to absorb the size of it all but decided if someone hadn't asked me to pull over, I needn't encourage it
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
breathe easy

Thumbs up

I saw them handcuffing a guy and towing his car just past Aubuchon's. One less to worry about. I think the money is coming from a state grant.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #28
KTO

I'm glad they're doing these checkpoints, drunk driving kills!

I got out of work around 9:30 and passed the scene on the way home. It's a pretty big deal.

I was also pulled over several weeks ago coming from work at about 10:00 at night because I had crossed over the double yellow line (I was changing the radio and drifted over). Sure enough, the blue lights flashed (Oops, a cop was behind me ) Anyways, it was a Moultonborough cop and he was very polite and friendly and professional and gave me a warning. He did verify that I hadn't been drinking, of course, just to be safe. (No breathalizer, etc, just asked where I had come from, saw me still in my work clothes, that stuff).

Not like those Meredith cops... Last year I got pulled over after running a stop sign I didn't see until after I had passed it. It was slightly hidden by some bushes. The cop told me what I did, threatened to give me a summons and suspend my license and acted like a power-hungry jerk. The best part is, I'm always polite to any cop that pulls me over (He/she is the one capable of writing a ticket) so the officer had no reason to give me attitude (This was also the first time I had ever been pulled over).

Oh well, can't always win.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
SAMIAM

I totally agree about licensing, Redwing. I was just questioning the tactics. Removing someone from a busy workplace and threatening an arrest warrant is not called for. How about a friendly phone call? That would seem the best way to go.
I believe we have 12 full time and 8-10 part time officers and support staff. That's one officer for every 500 residents. Wonder how that stacks up to other towns.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #30
Irrigation Guy

Default More info

Samiam- We received a friendly phone call a few weeks back about our dog. Unfortuantely he is no longer with us, 15 great years but last year was his last one.

My point is they do make calls, not sure what happened with the one to your employee, but we did get a message on our machine which I followed up on and clarified our situation.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #31
dpg

Drove from Suissevale to the VK this past Saturday for dinner. A cruiser had two cars pulled over at once and the same officer had another car pulled over on my way home from my meal (of course don't know if any got it in between.) Town must be saving up for some new cruisers or something.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #32
fatlazyless

Yesterdayès Union Leader had about a 4 paragraph report on the Saturday night 3-hour Moultonborough stop & search. It said that three arrests were made; for dui, drug possession, and transporting alcohol, plus a number of violations such as inspection stickers and registration.

I wonder about the alcohol transportation arrest and what are the specifics on this law. I do know that a CDL truck driver who is driving a Budweiser truck full of Budweiser can be arrested for having one unopened can inside the cab of the truck as opposed to in the freight van, so hows the transporting arrest workÉ.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #33
Redsoxlover

Unhappy Cruiser

Does anyone know if the town is reembursed for the use of our K9 officer ? We had to foot quite a bill for this "service" , dog and handler training, special features in cruiser etc... I hear about it being used in other towns but rarely in our own. What happens now that it's been in an accident, I'm sure we have insurance but does that include all the extras? Moultonborough residents need to start attending the BoS, planning and zoning meetings. You really have no idea what is happening to this town. I had to laugh at one residents remarks when Miracle Farms wen t before the board for the "wood" business at the neck road, she said she was in favor of it because the business employs locals, is she living under a rock, they import all their help!! HELLO!!! Also he kills any other small wood business trying to make a few bucks. I will say the owner is very eager to help out with fund raising, donations of time etc... but these are tough times for many in town, why do they have to have their hand in everything. Sorry too much coffee this morning, I will stop now.

Last edited by Redsoxlover; 07-28-2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: extra word
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #34
wifi

Default Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxlover View Post
.... You really have no idea what is happening to this town......
Some people do care: http://moultonboroughcitizensalliance.org/. At one point the Selectmen demanded they produce a list of members, which they didn't. What does this make one think? Besides the obvious, getting out to vote, and knowing who you are voting for and what they stand for is really important

I think I've had about 40 oz of coffee too ... Stop the spending!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #35
breathe easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Some people do care: http://moultonboroughcitizensalliance.org/. At one point the Selectmen demanded they produce a list of members, which they didn't. What does this make one think? Besides the obvious, getting out to vote, and knowing who you are voting for and what they stand for is really important

I think I've had about 40 oz of coffee too ... Stop the spending!

Yes, most people, particulary seasonal residents don't have any idea of what goes on in this little town and the little club that runs every aspect of it. The Moultonboro Citizens Alliance ( I am not a member) does list it's officers on the banner of it's website. There is also another website called Moultonboro Speaks. Both are very informative.
Correct also that hardly anyone attends selectmen meetings or school board meetings and that's a shame.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #36
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I wonder about the alcohol transportation arrest and what are the specifics on this law.
I'm guessing it probably had something to do with alcohol being in the same vehicle as minors?
Or maybe Junior Johnson was making a moonshine run from his stills in the Ossipee Range to Southern NH when he ran headlong into the checkpoint with a trunk full of White Lightning?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
neckdweller

The thing about Moultonborough is that the tax base is so large, seasonal people may not realize the extent to which that town spends money. My taxes in Moultonborough are about equal to those in my year round house, but the Moultonborough one would sell for about 3x as much. Sounds like they've got their spending under control, right? What people may not understand is that Moultonborough's valuation is somewhere in the $3 billion range, higher than all but a handful of places in the state and most of those are much larger towns/cities.

One could start just about anywhere when talking about spending up there - from the PD which is staffed as if summer was 12 months long to the never ending parade of new fire equipment (gotta keep the Taj filled, right?) to the school which is always near the top in spending per pupil.

OK, rant over - but it felt good.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #38
breathe easy

True about the tax base, but the latest valuation will be about a 1% drop in overall value that will have to be reconciled by either increasing taxes or by decreasing spending.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #39
Redsoxlover

Default Mca

i am involved with MCA and feel more people should be aware of what they are trying to do. Yes, they have made mistakes which her them , but most of them don't have their own agenda. I give them alot of credit for speaking out loud what alot of us are thinking.
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #40
hawthorne

My encounters, which are long ago and far away, with the Moultonboro PD have always been very professional. Those encounters never involved me but my kids! They were always so supportive as we had major problems. That being said, let's hope the new officers on the team are working up to the standards of those that have been there for so long.
Also, the MCA is the voice of so many that are not willing to speak up on their own. The MCA, which I am a part of, encourages people to contact them, especially our summer folks, to speak out and let the MCA be your voice! Let us know what your concerns are! Someone please email us!! www.moultonborocitizensalliance.org We are here for you!
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #41
twoplustwo

Default ka-ching

One could start just about anywhere when talking about spending up there - from the PD which is staffed as if summer was 12 months long to the never ending parade of new fire equipment (gotta keep the Taj filled, right?) to the school which is always near the top in spending per pupil.

We do an excellent job spending in this town, I totally agree. I find it especially annoying when we seem to be spending money just to keep up with the Joneses (read: Meredith). We have a Taj, they have a mini-Taj and glam up their fire station. Their Taj of a community center must be a major sore spot to those in favor of one here (it is gorgeous, and yeah, it would be nice to have one, but not in a swamp, and not in the P.T. Barnum way the valuation of that property was accepted. And an indoor pool? What the?) However, as a parent with a kid in each of the schools, I'll gladly watch my tax $ go there. I moved here 15 years ago for the taxes and the schools. Both are still phenomenal, IMO.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #42
Argie's Wife

Many rural police departments in NH have received grant money (from the State) to cover extra patrol, including the checkpoints. The grant stipulates that the officers can ONLY do patrol during a set amount of hours, etc., in order for them to get the money.

Have you noticed that fines, fees, etc. have taken a major jump lately?

More patrol... more violations found... more fines collected... more money for the State.... more funding available for - you guessed it - MORE PATROL...

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - I am saying it isn't necessairly your tax dollar funding as much as you think - it's more like the money collected from you doing 55MPH in a 35MPH zone - and getting caught!

If your PD, FD, etc., are smart, then they are applying for as many grants as possible and maybe getting some stimulus money....

...And about the dog licenses.... that's a practice of every town. All follow up on licenses - they have to because it's all recorded by the town clerk's office and reported to the state. Chances are the officer coming to someone's place of employment was a "last resort" and not the first - I have the feeling there's a little more to the whole story than maybe what you know or that your employee let on it (like, it wasn't the FIRST contact...)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #43
twoplustwo

Default you'll all be happy to know...

...that my Danny is all legal now and will be sporting his bling from the town as soon as I can find some pliers to put the tag on his collar.

I wish a few of you were in the Clerk's office yesterday afternoon - a couple of us had a fun conversation regarding the PD's dog license notifications this year. It was like the Forum came to life!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #44
dpg

It never ends...Nabbed my brother in law this weekend for rolling through a stop sign officer said the car never completely stopped. I mean they are right but... I just wonder how good that reputation is for a town that must rely a good bit on tourist and people driving through. I dunno, just need to be extra careful I guess.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #45
Airwaves

It does constantly amaze me to read some stories like this. I think it was last summer or maybe the summer prior I was somewhat criticized for posting an observation of what I witnessed at a resort community in Maine and wondered why such attitudes aren't common among communities that largely depend on tourists.

I posted something to the effect that police and lifeguards went up and down the beach looking for folks with alcohol on the beach, something prohibited. Several hundred warnings were given out (they broadcast the tally at the end of each sweep) and not a single ticket.

I mentioned that to the owner of the place where I was staying and he said in prior years the police had treated tourists badly and the merchants and those that depend on tourism put their foot down because it was driving people away.

Just food for thought.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #46
dpg

I just believe some things are a little nuts. Like I've posted a few years ago I was pulled over for not having a directional on when pulling out onto rte 25 from rte 109.

Two weekends ago I was behind a cruiser, yes a cruiser that didn't have their directional on when pulling out of Moultonborough Neck rd onto rte 25.

Helloooo!

Is there such thing as a citizens ticket?