Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #101
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
ABB shows on their outage page no outages in Meredith. I did attempt to get in touch with them but no luck just an answering machine. I imagine at this point they have no ETA.

Here's the deal with them, they cannot restore service till power is available as the signal requires powered amplifiers on the poles themselves. Although the power grid may be segmented and redundant the same may not be true of the broadband infrastructure. I would not expect that broadband will return to service until the majority of the power is restored, only then can they hit the poles and fix any damage done to their stuff.
Thanks - I have not been unable to reach them either. Knowing there is still power down on the island it makes sense as to why they are unable to restore service at the moment.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #102
codeman671

We just got power back on Bear. ABB is up as well.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #103
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Why should islands be last? Island properties pay the same “member fee” and the same rates as mainland properties. If island properties are last on the list, then rates for these properties should be reduced. I can understand if it’s mid-winter, or if ice conditions are unsafe. But we’re talking the first week of August with 2 days of nice weather after this storm. NHEC has their own boat, so why can’t they send a crew out to fix this problem? Islanders have refrigerators and freezers full of food and ice, just like mainlanders, and also need electricity to operate water pumps and septic systems. I don’t have time to elaborate on their corruption right now.
Hmmm...I'd be careful about that line of reasoning if I were an islander. As you note, islanders pay the same rate as those on the mainland. But it's easy to see how providing electricity to the islands is much more expensive than providing juice to the mainland. NHEC has their own boat, as you note, is only the tip of the iceberg here--there's a lot of line to maintain for a small amount of homes. So really, the mainlanders are subsidizing your electricity.

So relax about the "corruption" that you are unable to identify and enjoy a cold beer chilled courtesy of NHEC and your onshore neighbors!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #104
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hmmm...I'd be careful about that line of reasoning if I were an islander. As you note, islanders pay the same rate as those on the mainland. But it's easy to see how providing electricity to the islands is much more expensive than providing juice to the mainland. NHEC has their own boat, as you note, is only the tip of the iceberg here--there's a lot of line to maintain for a small amount of homes. So really, the mainlanders are subsidizing your electricity.

So relax about the "corruption" that you are unable to identify and enjoy a cold beer chilled courtesy of NHEC and your onshore neighbors!
Never thought of it that way but very true, in fact the costs really escalate when there is need for logistical support where they need to bring out equipment and supplies. Not like you can replace a power pole with two guys a shovel and a skiff.

I know they have used Island Services Co a number of times.

Then again we islanders subsidize mainland property taxes so it's all in how you look at it I guess
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #105
Juiced06GTO

Just as an FYI there are still people in my town, Sutton, Ma, on the mainland, that still don't have power and not expected to be restored until Sat and Sunday. We are a rural community and at the end of the storm there were over 4k without power in a town with only about 9k people. Most of us just chalk it up to being in a town with lots of trees that no one wants to cut down! So if you have power on the island I'd figure they are doing a pretty good job at this point!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #106
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post

Who said I was unable to identify the corruption? I said I didn’t have the time right then to get into it, nor do I now. But I will when I have the chance. And as Maxum said, islanders, especially in Tuftonboro, are subsidizing mainland properties.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #107
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Who said I was unable to identify the corruption? I said I didn’t have the time right then to get into it, nor do I now. But I will when I have the chance. And as Maxum said, islanders, especially in Tuftonboro, are subsidizing mainland properties.
Its clear you have a ax to grind for some reason w/ NHEC....

Don't think that Islanders are the only ones subsidizing towns around the lakes. Every season lake front home subsidizes the towns they are in.... It is simply part of owning a second home. You are doing nothing but playing the blame game, you need someone to blame because you don't have power.....

If being with out power is so inconvenient, I suggest looking into a couple of things:

1. Generator back up,
2. Solar Back up, with Battery Reserves

I have lived with out power for almost 2 weeks, yep it sucked it really did... But instead of complaining we got resourceful... Learned to use oil lamps, pulled out the old propane camp stove and used it on the deck... moved we we knew we would need form the refrigerator bit it in a cooler and then left the refrigerator closed as long as possible...

This stuff isn't rocket science, and I would rather be doing it in the summer, when most times I have had do deal with long power outages it has been in the winter....

In the grand scheme of things being with out power for 3 or 4 days after a Hurricane comes through is nothing....Last night I watched a show about Mount St. Helens in 1980..... I also lived in Washington at that time.... talk about inconvience, try having your car engine destroyed because of Ash....

Okay I should stop now but I hope you get the point.... your whining up a small tree.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #108
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

If you live on one of the islands and you like your electricity, a generator is a must! I would never be without one...

Dan
Old 08-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #109
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If you live on one of the islands and you like your electricity, a generator is a must! I would never be without one...

Dan
Do you use a propane fired one for continuous power or a portable one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #110
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

I have 6000 watt Honda portable on the island. It’s very quiet and very reliable. It has run for 5 days non stop. It goes through 5 gallons of gas every 12 hours.

At my mainland home I do have a propane 20K on demand generator.

Dan
thinkxingu (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #111
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

If you get a portable one - there are conversion kits to have them run on propane.

There are also more and more dual fuel portable generators you can get that can do both gas and propane out of the box. I may look into one myself for on the island as I need a little more capacity than what I have now and having the flexibility to burn gas or propane is a nice feature.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #112
Mink Islander

Default Power Back on Mink around 11:00 today.

Lots of generators could be heard when we arrived around 10 last night.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #113
Garcia

Default Generators - how much use?

Just curious - for those who have portable generators on an island, how often do you need them? I’ve never had one and never really felt the need, but being here more and more, am leaning toward getting one. I know it’s peace of mind, but how often do they get used for power outages?

I’ll add that I have a gas stove so cooking is not an issue.

Last edited by Garcia; 08-07-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added more
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #114
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Just curious - for those who have portable generators on an island, how often do you need them? I’ve never had one and never really felt the need, but being here more and more, am leaning toward getting one. I know it’s peace of mind, but how often do they get used for power outages?

I would estimate twice during a season... the problem is when electricity does go down, it’s usually down for a while. It’s never fixed in a couple hours as they have to get a crew out in their boat, etc,etc.

Dan
Garcia (08-07-2020), upthesaukee (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #115
MAXUM

From what I have seen - unless there is a wide spread event power is restored next day worst case.

Off season, they can be a little more sluggish in responding, and in the winter, they will not come out unless they can get out here safely either hitching a ride with the island service guys or waiting till there is at least a foot of ice on the lake. I've spent a few winter weekends on generator power.

This is the longest "in season" outage I've seen in the past 9 years.

Again considering the logistics of where we are, the NHEC does a pretty good job in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Garcia (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #116
Formula260SS

we kept the propane fridge after we got electricty. We were just discussing going to a regular one before the power went out. Not sure what we'll do yet but it is nice not worrying about it. Just need to keep the tanks full and that is pricey. Pros and cons for sure
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #117
MDoug

Default Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post

We use our generator backup several times each season. Well worth the money! It's a Generac with Honda motor, starts right up even after 15 years.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:24 AM   #118
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
From what I have seen - unless there is a wide spread event power is restored next day worst case.

Off season, they can be a little more sluggish in responding, and in the winter, they will not come out unless they can get out here safely either hitching a ride with the island service guys or waiting till there is at least a foot of ice on the lake. I've spent a few winter weekends on generator power.

This is the longest "in season" outage I've seen in the past 9 years.

Again considering the logistics of where we are, the NHEC does a pretty good job in my opinion.
We had a bad windstorm around Halloween maybe 3 or 4 years ago and were without power for a week. Without the generator, we wouldn't have stayed out here. They do suck up a lot of propane..for those of you who are up to the task, I discovered that Osbourne's Agway near the Winnesquam bridge fills 100 pound tanks for under 50 bucks...a bargain considering what you pay to get propane trucked out here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #119
rick35

I remember the Halloween storm of 2011 all too well. The dock came out that day just as snow started to fall. We met friends at the Lyons Den for dinner after and almost couldn't leave Gilford because of the icy hill on the Rte 11 bypass. We finally made it home after 2-1/2 hours only to have no power. Had to go out to get gas at midnight for the portable generator and was in bed for only a few minutes and kaboom. A big oak limb fell on the house. After that we had a standby generator installed. And it was about 12 months after that when we actually used the new generator. It's good insurance so you have it when you need it.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #120
Barney Bear

Default Stand By Your Camp

We went home early Monday morning so no boat was at our place on East Bear Island when Isaias passed by. The similar storm that hit us in late October, 2015 visited after we had closed for the season. Our seasonal dock was cast upside down against our permanent dock, damaging it and destroying the seasonal one. ISC made repairs in May 2016. We were spared a similar fate this year. This week, we lost power for 36 hours, regaining it Friday morning, I believe. We arrived on the island at dusk last evening. We do not use our portable gasoline emergency generator unless we have been down about a day. Sometimes we are down for a short period of time due to an event on the mainland that affects the power to Bear Island. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #121
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
We had a bad windstorm around Halloween maybe 3 or 4 years ago and were without power for a week. Without the generator, we wouldn't have stayed out here. They do suck up a lot of propane..for those of you who are up to the task, I discovered that Osbourne's Agway near the Winnesquam bridge fills 100 pound tanks for under 50 bucks...a bargain considering what you pay to get propane trucked out here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Remember that one and there was a lot of damage to the infrastructure which is why it took so long. Lines were down everywhere and may poles needed replacement. That was the same storm that made parts of rt 109 look like a tornado had come through.

Hardware store in Meredith will fill 100 pounders as well, they charge $80 but thier points card every other one is 10% off. Having somebody do it for you is crazy expensive. I have three bottles and try to refill in the winter by snowmobile :-)