Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
SerenityRick

Default Internet in Moultonborough?

Hey guys,

My wife and I are closing on our very first house this Friday in Moultonborough

However, we recently found out that the only available ISP seems to be Fairpoint.. and the fastest internest they offer is DSL at 1.5MBps with a paltry 330kbps upload.. this is almost 15 times slower than what I'm used to in New Hampton (15MBPS with 1MB upload)

I found out Time Warner services Moultonborough but I've been on and off the phone with them for a week because they cannot for the life of them figure out if they can even service the house. I'm not exactly hopeful for them to come through.

I'm not out in the boonies or anything.. I'm just off of 109 which is just off of rt25. Only about 5minutes from the Moultonborough general store. Is anyone else in the area and has high speed internet? I can't think of anyone else to try. Metrocast and Comcast/Xfinity doesn't service the area either.

Thanks for any help!

-Rick
SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Time Warner doesn't know which end is up IMHO. You may just find out that they do service your area.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Lakewinn1

Default Internet

I live in the same general area you are moving to..... I have Time Warner and they seem to be fine for my service provider.....
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
wifi

Default You're likely in my service area

I'll send you a PM. Time Warner is the way to go if you want speed, I'd push them for a response, or just look at the phone poles
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
songkrai

Not all areas are covered by any cable company.

It seems early on Pegasus (or it's predecessor) made a deal with the town. Only certain populated areas have access to cable. And nothing has changed.

If you are not served by cable your only choices are DSL or satellite and obviously dial-up.

Satellite from my experience is expensive and not worth it over DSL.

You do bring up a good point. Many who purchase here do not check about cable access. Most assume that everyone is covered.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Not all areas are covered by any cable company.

It seems early on Pegasus (or it's predecessor) made a deal with the town. Only certain populated areas have access to cable. And nothing has changed.
The predecessor and actual originator of cable in the area was Amrac, for those that remember. Some towns, like Alexandria insisted the whole town get wired up. They had the population density, and Metrocast had to wire to the closest pole to every residence (summer or not) in existence at the time... nice deal for the consumer. More rural towns, like Sandwich, insist on cable to every house, but its not economically feasible given the area of Sandwich. So there will be no cable in Sandwich.

It all depends on the contract the town draws up with the cable company. Hopefully, it isn't just the selectmen/administrator that makes the rules, but the people they represent have input into the process, in all areas of the town.

Here I go talking myself out of a job...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I am in Suissevale and have Time Warner/Roadrunner internet. When we moved in they simply told us our house did not exist. This is when they had just taken over from the Comcast thing. I told them we had a cable coming into the house and it was installed I just needed the wire connected on the box on the pole. I could see where it was disconnected. It took about 15 calls and still nothing. Finally I saw a TW truck working on the streeet next to ours. I stopped and asked them what to do. The guy drove the truck over hooked up the cable, gave us a modem and said to call in and talk to billing. Did that and everything worked fine. Didn;t get a bill for 6 months. Said we didn't exist t least 5 times.
Finally got a bill. Worked fine for 6 years now. Not super fast and you will definitley notice a slow down after school get out around 3 or so, and in the summer when everybody and their brother is up here sucking on the proverbial cable/internet straw.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
songkrai (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I am in Suissevale and have Time Warner/Roadrunner internet. When we moved in they simply told us our house did not exist. This is when they had just taken over from the Comcast thing. I told them we had a cable coming into the house and it was installed I just needed the wire connected on the box on the pole. I could see where it was disconnected. It took about 15 calls and still nothing. Finally I saw a TW truck working on the streeet next to ours. I stopped and asked them what to do. The guy drove the truck over hooked up the cable, gave us a modem and said to call in and talk to billing. Did that and everything worked fine. Didn;t get a bill for 6 months. Said we didn't exist t least 5 times.
Finally got a bill. Worked fine for 6 years now. Not super fast and you will definitley notice a slow down after school get out around 3 or so, and in the summer when everybody and their brother is up here sucking on the proverbial cable/internet straw.
You provide a good point.

Fairpoint DSL is out of Portland, Maine (I think). They have "maps" that state where it can be installed and not installed. I have found out that their maps can be incorrect or outdated. Call and call and call Fairpoint and constantly being told - "unavailable". Then speak with an installer in neighborhood and he states of course it can be installed. The wires run on poles before and after home. Call Fairpoint again. No, it cannot be installed as there are no wires in that area. Speak with installer again and this time the installer telephones Fairpoint in Portland. This time DSL was connected. It can be frustrating.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
wifi

Fairpoint has provided an easy way to check. Go to their home page (http://www.fairpoint.com), click on pay my bill. Plug in your phone number and, from what I've seen, gives an accurate answer. If you don't have a landline, putting in a neighbors number may not give accurate results.

The older DSL went south, I believe hosted in Manchester. The newer 15M system is hosted in Portland.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Fairpoint has provided an easy way to check. Go to their home page (http://www.fairpoint.com), click on pay my bill. Plug in your phone number and, from what I've seen, gives an accurate answer. If you don't have a landline, putting in a neighbors number may not give accurate results.

The older DSL went south, I believe hosted in Manchester. The newer 15M system is hosted in Portland.
Although mostly true. Fairpoints website and Fairpoint themselves have flaws in their maps.

To obtain the accurate accurate information speak with any installer in town. They are the ones that actually know.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
ChocolateGypsy

I had Time Warner in Moultonboro when I lived on rt. 25 but I got the feeling they were in no hurry to provide internet service to the area. Later, when I requested service at another location -- about 100 feet from the first -- they said they didn't service the area. Then they said the cable lines didn't run out there... then they said they'd send someone to check it out... then the cables were too old, then it was, "okay, but it's going to cost you (a bazillion dollars) to run an internet line," then... 6 months later I get a phone call from them telling me that cable and internet service is now available at the location -- for the normal price!

So good luck.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
longislander

I'm using Fairpoint DSL and get good results. However, I'm well within the "3 mile near a CO" limitations. Customer service seems to be a problem ... with all of the providers. The techs, if you can grab one, are a great source of problem solving!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1880682174.png

Portland

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1880698918.png

Manchester

Have gotten some slightly better results at times.

Last edited by longislander; 04-07-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: addition
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
bkelly13

Default Verizon MiFi

Been coming up for the past two years and have had great performance. This year not so much. Does anybody have any insight as to what may have changed since last Fall? Antenna reads full strength.
Thanks.
bkelly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
bkelly13

Default Verizon MiFi

I have been up the last couple of years and had great performance using Verizon's MiFi. This year the performance is worse than dial up. Verizon claims no issues. I am using the identical equipment from Last Fall. Also the same equipment works fine back at my office in CT. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.
bkelly13 is offline   Reply With Quote