Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Ghosts Among Us?

Is there a ghost living in your neighborhood? It is about that time of year when our thoughts turn to such things.

Reading the article in yesterday’s Laconia Citizen about the home in Gilford, where an apparition is said to appear from time-to-time, I am reminded that the Hathaway House has for many years been rumored to have a spirit in residence. When the Hathaway House Restaurant was in operation, workers claimed to have seen an elderly woman roaming the house after hours and lights going on and off at will. When she purportedly made an appearance, she was dressed in the attire of the 1890’s. It has not been determined conclusively whether she is the spirit of Samuel C. Clark’s wife, Clarissa, or his daughter, Claribel. Lights have shone from the windows of the home (often from the cellar) when no mortal beings have been inside. The sightings have been reported over several decades.

The home was built by Samuel C. Clark in 1870-71. He was a prominent attorney, with offices on Elm Street in Lakeport and was in the State Legislature, as well as Clerk of Court in Belknap County for a number of years. The daughter, Claribel, never married and continued to reside there following her parents’ deaths around the turn of the century, until approximately 1950. She often stayed there during the summer months only and traveled a great deal during the rest of the year. All members of the Clark family are buried in Bayside Cemetery.

If this ghostly being is still in residence, perhaps once the new Dunkin Donuts opens, she will wander over for a cruller some morning and put their feet to the fire on the matter of painting her house. What an interesting customer she would be, but I guess she would have no need for such sustenance.

Does anyone else have knowledge of other paranormal activity in the Winni area they would like to share with us?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Default Town Hall - Alton, NH

People have reported that they have heard heavy footsteps walking around, Furniture moving on its own, also reported hearing doors open and hearing voices when they are there alone.

There's a great website that documents the haunted placed in NH: http://www.newhampshire.com/about-nh...ed-places.aspx

I'd heard about the Town Hall being haunted but in all my years going in there, never experienced anything unusual or odd. It is a spooky-looking building.

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Ghosts in the Lakes Region - BOO!

From Shadowlands Haunted Places
Tuc’ Me Inn, Wolfeboro - Voices and footsteps heard at night. Doors closing and the piano in the main lobby playing by itself. (It is not a player piano.)
From Real Ghosts of Haunted New Hampshire:
Tuc' Me Inn, Wolfeboro - Haunted by a man, probably someone who lived there before it was the attractive B&B that it is now. A child has also been heard there. Sounds like a delightful place to stay, and listen to the ghosts.
Alton Town Hall - People have reported that they have heard heavy footsteps waling around, furniture moving on it's own, also reported hearing doors open and hearing voices when they are there alone.
From Haunted Places in NH
Alton Town Hall - Heavy footsteps walking around, furniture moving on its own, doors open mysteriously, and voices heard when no one is in the building.
Kimball's Castle in Gilford - Witnesses report a strong feeling of a presence and seeing a ghost in the kitchen of the carriage house, happening quite often. The caretaker reports he would leave the heavy mahogany door open for light and all of a sudden the door was shut. The door was very heavy, not even wind could move it. He also said that the light in Mrs. Kimball's sewing room would mysteriously go on and while later it would go off.
Kimball's Castle in Gilford - Reports of doors locking and unlocking by themselves, things disappearing, books being pulled off shelves, and plants being knocked over

Quote taken from Ghost Place about Kimball's Castle:

As the breezes flow in and out of this drafty castle the stories of otherworldly inhabitants are whispered. I have heard that the grave of their prized thoroughbred horse (who is buried on the grounds) is haunted and that strange apparitions have been seen in that area, yet when approached they seem to disappear. People have stated that they have felt a presence in and around the house and believed that someone was watching them, and many cold spots have been discovered throughout the castle. I have also heard that a former caretaker reported that large heavy doors would open an close at will most unexpectedly. Also strange lights have been seen in the former sewing room of Mrs. Kimball. The kitchen is said to be a very active area for whatever presence that still inhabits the castle with sightings of a silent, mysterious woman wandering about. Perhaps if there are ghosts they are most unhappy about the many years of vandalism that took their toll during the 60's and 70's when the castle was stripped by vandals who have took every piece of rare tapestries, hand crafted furniture, and exquisite paintings from the castle. The gates were ripped off their supports and even a fireplace mantel from one of the bedrooms was taken. Also, the oak banisters on the balcony were stolen and all of the four dragon gargoyles on the castle's parapets were taken. Certainly enough to make any spirit, alive or dead upset.
Temperance Tavern in Gilmanton - Reports of doors locking and unlocking by themselves, things disappearing, books being pulled off shelves, and plants being knocked over.

Colonial Theater in Laconia - Footsteps heard and lights go on and off, and doors open and close when no one's around. Visitors get a strange feeling that they should leave as soon as possible. A figure of a man has been seen.
Colonial Theater in Laconia - People that worked there have told many tales of hearing people running around the building and hearing voices coming from all over the building. It is from around the turn of the 20th century.
Nutmeg Inn in Meredith - Owners' daughter reported that she had a feeling she was not welcome in room number 4. Presence felt while playing musical instruments. Photos that have been taken at the inn showed ghostly shapes in them.

Nothin' Fancy Mexican bar and grill at Weirs Beach - A woman's voice heard in the kitchen and dining area, doors mysteriously unlock and open. Figure seen in 2nd floor hallway near back porch door.
Winnipesaukee Marketplace at Weirs Beach - The Winnipesaukee Marketplace dates back to the 1880's where it used to be the Lakeside Inn. Employee's and tourists who have stayed in there as well as locals have said they have felt cold spots, intense energy fields, it feels as though your not alone. On a good night especially on a full moon, you can see a hanged man in the middle window on the top floor. Assumed suicide or was it? Also there is a woman who is the former owner of the place, she only appears and talks to certain people. I have seen both woman and man and the man is very distinguished in features. I only have seen his face briefly. Dark cold eyes as if mad at the world. He is the one who does most of the ghostly activies such as throwing light cover utensils, objects get misplaced, and the lights have been seen on in building when no one has been near it.
From NH Haunted Houses and Other Haunted Places in New Hampshire:
Steele Hill Resort in Sanbornton - The rumor: The older main building is haunted by a man who is seen walking the halls whistling and has been seen opening doors and windows. We have been to Steele Hill Resort many times, in the same old building, slept there on 4 occasions, used the pool and the restaurant numerous times, but have not seen or heard anything.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
gtxrider

Default Boo!

I ain't scarred of no GHOSTS!

Been in the Colonial several times and heard laughs. O that was because we were watching "The Russians are Coming", "The Glass Bottom Boat".......

"Who you gona call?"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Haunted house in Center harbor..........When we refurbished the Coe House in 1999, no one had a problem until we brought in an artist to restore the wallpaper in the 'presidents room". She preferred to work at night, since there were workmen around durring the day. The wallpaper was painted by a French artist in the early 1800's and she reported an angry, ghostly figure appearing night after night as she worked. After a few weeks it seemed as though his tone softened, almost as though he approved of her work.
I was saying to myself, "Yuh,right" until I googled him up and he appeared exactly as she described him.................wooooooooooooo
To this day, she takes no credit for the beautiful restoration job that she did, but gives credit to the artist that guided her through the job.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
dpg

Never witnessed anything and don't believe in it either.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Default Me neither,but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Never witnessed anything and don't believe in it either.
I don't believe this stuff but I did have the crap scared out of me in my first house.Something was walking around upstairs while I was in the basement,only to go up there and find it empty and my doors still locked to the house.Makes the hair stand up on my arm thinking about it.Maybe I do.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Corner House

Green's Basin Girl can clarify this, but I am told that a ghost by the name of "Cllarence" resides at the Corner House. GBG, If you read this, can you please enlighten us? I do not recall the particulars, only his name!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default I met the Town Hall Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
People have reported that they have heard heavy footsteps walking around, Furniture moving on its own, also reported hearing doors open and hearing voices when they are there alone.
I was alone, so I thought, upstairs in the Town Hall one dark night and indeed heard strange sounds. Upon investigation it was Andy the computer wizard in the server room working to cut over to a new server. Maybe what others have heard is just the ghost of servers past!

On another occasion I was at a night meeting in Town Hall that had a sizable audience. Suddenly someone noticed a poor bat flying frantically around the high ceiling room looking for a way out. About half of the people ducked and covered their heads in fear or ran out of the room. The other half of us watched in amusement as grown men and women were actually afraid of a 1/2 ounce insect eating mammal. I suppose that there may have been some ghost believers amongst that group.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

Kings Grant Inn is said to be haunted. Have seen first hand some things in the old club section that didn't add up. Also a personal feeling is that there are spirits aboard the Mount.. Friendly ones, But maybe it's just the engine room noise that got to me....
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Chickie

Default Mischievous Poltergiests

Doesn't everyone believe in ghosts at Halloween? Personally, when I misplace my car keys, I would rather wonder if a poltergeist may have snatched and hidden them from me, than to worry that I may be in the early stages of dementia. Thanks for the interesting posts.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Oh,come on dpg.....it's fun to believe in ghosts.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
On another occasion I was at a night meeting in Town Hall that had a sizable audience. Suddenly someone noticed a poor bat flying frantically around the high ceiling room looking for a way out. About half of the people ducked and covered their heads in fear or ran out of the room. The other half of us watched in amusement as grown men and women were actually afraid of a 1/2 ounce insect eating mammal. I suppose that there may have been some ghost believers amongst that group.
I have heard that Bats have an attraction for BIG Hair on humans and will fly into the hair and hide. Don't know if there is any truth in this.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Green's Basin Girl can clarify this, but I am told that a ghost by the name of "Cllarence" resides at the Corner House. GBG, If you read this, can you please enlighten us? I do not recall the particulars, only his name!
Yes Clarence died there a long time ago. I worked there years ago. I remembered once I was pouring wine from a spicket and forgot to shut it off. When I looked again it was off and nobody had touched it. One time , the owner Don, was varnishing the floor and he stopped to go to lunch. When he came back there were feathers sticking to the varnish all over the floor. He felt Clarence had been playing a joke and had spread the feathers. Many things use to happen at the Corner House and everyone attributed them to Clarence. Don could tell many stories. He should have a dinner/ghost story night. I am going to Paranormal Night next Saturday at the 1875 Inn in Tilton. The owner is going to talk about ghost stories that have been told by the guests that have stayed there. We stayed at the Gettysburg Innin Gettysburg, PA. once while touring the battlefield. The housekeeper was telling that there were ghosts there. She refused to go in the basement.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I was alone, so I thought, upstairs in the Town Hall one dark night and indeed heard strange sounds. Upon investigation it was Andy the computer wizard in the server room working to cut over to a new server. Maybe what others have heard is just the ghost of servers past!
I know the devil of whom you speak....

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 10-20-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Oh,come on dpg.....it's fun to believe in ghosts.
Naw...Maybe some day if I have it scared out of me but it hasn't happened yet.
O.k. here's a little story about my sister...Her and my brother-in-law took over a home owned by his grandmother after her death. She swears one night she woke up in the middle of the night to see a figure of the grandmother standing at the foot of the bed. The women was a nice person and the feeling of calm as my sister puts it came over her. She states she felt like my BIL's grandmother was maybe checking in on them or something. I believe this has only happened once.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
Chickie

Default Keep An Open Mind

I tend to be skeptical at times as well, but also like to keep an open mind. A friend's grandmother was living with the family when she passed away. My friend's little girl was four or five at the time. They explained to her that Grammy had gone to heaven and she wouldn't be there anymore. The child's response was that Grammy had not gone to heaven, as she was sitting in her chair as usual at that moment and pointed to the empty chair. Spooky, eh?

I guess many of us would find a way to explain it all away somehow, even if we did have a true encounter.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
JupiterMackem

Default Ghastly Gourmet?

Like some of the other posters, I must admit to being rather skeptical about such things, however...

In recent years the mackems have become aware of a certain degree of paranormal activity, IN EACH ONE OF THEIR VARIOUS PLACES OF ABODE. On more than one occasion, we have arisen to inspect the fridge and larder to find them bare!

We have consulted various experts in the field to determine a pattern, and to date have uncovered nothing.

Our teenage son doesn't seem to know anything about it either.

Mmmm?
JupiterMackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
mrportjeff

Default Teen Ghosts

I hear that teen aged spirts are the hardest to get rid of!
mrportjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrportjeff View Post
I hear that teen aged spirts are the hardest to get rid of!

That's because they stay up all night and never want to sleep.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
Pineedles

Default "A Haunting in CT"

I live in the town depicted in the recent movie "A haunting in Connecticut". I can say that the Wallaces (the ghost buster couple) made a whole bunch of money on basically nothing at all. The "house" is a couple of blocks from me and there was so much hype at the time the investigation was going on that it rated a few newspaper articles but nothing was really found. The house remains occupied and there are no "strange" occurrences going on today. Personally, I don't think there ever was.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Default 1875 Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I live in the town depicted in the recent movie "A haunting in Connecticut". I can say that the Wallaces (the ghost buster couple) made a whole bunch of money on basically nothing at all. The "house" is a couple of blocks from me and there was so much hype at the time the investigation was going on that it rated a few newspaper articles but nothing was really found. The house remains occupied and there are no "strange" occurrences going on today. Personally, I don't think there ever was.
We attended Paranormal Night this past evening at the 1875 Inn in Tilton. The ghost stories and the tour of some of the guest rooms was fascinating. The dinner ( I had the pastry stuffed chicken) was wonderful! A girl named Laura died there in a fire and many claim she still comes around. Many various ghostly accounts have been described by guests. We may try to stay in Laura's room at a future date and see what happens! I hear the Weirs Times is presently writing an article about the inn.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #23
dpg

Isn't the Mount Washington hotel supposed to be haunted?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Isn't the Mount Washington hotel supposed to be haunted?
The lake's Region Paranormal group has gone to the Mt. Washington Hotel to see if anything has been going on. My husband and I have decided to rent Laura's room at the 1875 Inn in Tilton on Halloween night. Halloween is not only my husband's birthday, but it is also our wedding anniversary. We will let you know if anything unusual occurs. We are looking forward to a nice dinner and a great Sunday brunch.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #25
angela4design

Default King's Grant

Yes, I've experienced things at the King's Grant, as well. Many years ago, I was doing a walk through when the place was on the market for sale.

A group of us walked through the old club, commenting on how nice the booths were, considering the time it had been closed, etc. The front of house was still in fairly good condition, despite needing a bit of cleaning up. We went into the kitchen, which was large - but it had stock pots of stuff still on the counters with souring food, like someone left in a hurry. We quickly exited the way we came in and - only moments after having walked through the very same room - saw all the tables neatly set for service!

There are serveral hidden passages and strange rooms there, which only added to the mystery of what we had just experienced.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #26
Nadia

Unhappy A Haunting in Conneticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Pineedles, is that the house that the new tenants discovered was a funeral parlor? I believe I own that episode on DVD. The Wallaces were the demonologists that went in to investigate? Or the tenants that moved in? The depicted story was truly terrifying. My husband thought it was bogus too.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #27
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
Pineedles, is that the house that the new tenants discovered was a funeral parlor? I believe I own that episode on DVD. The Wallaces were the demonologists that went in to investigate? Or the tenants that moved in? The depicted story was truly terrifying. My husband thought it was bogus too.

There never is anything found. When someone gets an undisputed picture then I'll believe. Same with Bigfoot, Aliens and the Loch Ness Monster.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #28
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
Yes, it was a funeral parlor at one time but as with many FPs, once you take the sign down, it just looks like an ordinary house. I'm sure the producers of the movie made it as scary as possible. I haven't seen the film, but rather than be scared I am guessing I would see too many exaggerations and not alllow myself to enjoy it for what it is, a scary movie.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #29
PyroMan

Question Meredith docks haunted?

So there I was, setting up for the New Years Eve fireworks last week put on by the Inn at Mills Falls. I walk back from the Mt Washington dock to the boardwalk and a woman was standing at the end of the next dock towards the Inn asking me "if I saw him". "See who?" I asked. "The man halfway up the dock" she replied, "he's beckoning me to come out there. He's dark with red eyes!". "uhhh, no I do not see anyone". The woman said she didn't 'feel right' and 'felt as though she should jump off the pier thru the ice' but it wasn't her thinking this.
Being a believer and a ghost hunter from years past I asked pointed questions of her. The Fire Chief came over to talk to me and I asked him "has anyone ever drowned or died on these docks?" He mentioned to me that a 'cocky' 20-something kid drove his truck off the end of the pier to get onto the ice at the time and broke through. Not sure if he died, didn't get that from the conversation. The lady said this person had blood on his head. Curious if this can be substantiated by anyone in the area. This woman did state that he never went further than halfway down the dock towards shore... was always near the water end.
PyroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #30
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Rather than start a new thread on ghosts, I did a search and thought I should just resurrect (no pun intended) this one.

I was just talking to a resident from the Weirs and he asked me if I had ever heard any stories of ghostly sightings near The Mount. He said he had heard stories of a man with a hat on being seen there.

So, it reminded me of this image; an image from the 1920"s that has Mr. Irwin in the hat (bottom left). So, I'm curious if anyone here has heard any similar stories of a man in a hat?
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #31
JADAQ

Meredith bridge condos are haunted.we have strange things happen all the time here and I've seen movement in our kitchen several times.. place is weird, including some current residents...
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #32
wifi

Now if you could only train them to make breakfast, in your kitchen, all steaming hot for when you wake up !
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #33
Meredith_Resident

Chemung forest is very haunted. Watch "Lost in Laconia" and you'll understand why. The shallow graves were moved to Chemung forest so the graves could be named.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #34
Meredith_Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Meredith bridge condos are haunted.we have strange things happen all the time here and I've seen movement in our kitchen several times.. place is weird, including some current residents...
Yes. Agreed about the"certain residents." I was stalked by someone while living there (2003/2004). I was just a teenager and there was a guy there who followed me everywhere. My mother called the police. Pretty sure he was spoken to if not arrested. There's a little more to the story but I don't want to release too many details here. Scared he will come find me again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Rather than start a new thread on ghosts, I did a search and thought I should just resurrect (no pun intended) this one.

I was just talking to a resident from the Weirs and he asked me if I had ever heard any stories of ghostly sightings near The Mount. He said he had heard stories of a man with a hat on being seen there.

So, it reminded me of this image; an image from the 1920"s that has Mr. Irwin in the hat (bottom left). So, I'm curious if anyone here has heard any similar stories of a man in a hat?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #35
Woody38

We had a 3 story house in New Bedford, MA in which the first floor was my office. Third floor was maids quarters. House was built by a gentleman from NY who owned Wamsutta Mills. His sisters were the Children's charity.
One day I saw a figure on the second floor hall near the bathroom. Later one time our dogs were playing a little rough and I heard a low voice "I don't like that". We were never bothered. When my wife was in law school her partner was working in my office one night and the next day I asked her to ask him why he closed the doors on the second floor. Ah, he was scared and said "don't do that to me. I didn't close any doors". This guy a firefighter who loved going into burning buildings.
I believe the ghost liked us.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #36
Music Man

ah, THAT kind of ghost. I was going to suggest a number of churches where you could find the Holy Ghost alive and well....

Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote