Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
laddheath

Default Cow Island

Can anyone point me to the closest marina from the north side of Cow Island? Thank you,

laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

Harilla's is probably closest but it is not full service. Trexler's is a bit further as is Nineteen Mile Bay.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Just Sold

Melvin Village Marina is almost due North from The Barbers Pole side of Cow.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
laddheath

Thanks for the info.

We live in the Portsmouth area and currently dock our boat in Alton, it's great b/c it is so close to us. We are looking at a property on Cow Island and I am trying to figure out where I would dock the boat fort he year. Melvin Village would add almost an hour to our drive but yet keeping the boat in Alton would mean we would have to cross the broads each time we went to the cottage (no thanks)

It seems odd to me there is basically nothing between wolfboro and Melvin village to keep your boat.
laddheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddheath View Post
...It seems odd to me there is basically nothing between wolfboro and Melvin village to keep your boat.
As Newbiesaukee mentioned, there is 19-mile bay, about 4 miles before Melvin Village (and a shorter boat ride, too). I believe they are all privately owned, but you could probably rent from an owner or buy a slip there.

Here's a Pier 19 slip for sale: http://www.cocoearly.com/homes/NH/Tu...648/index.html

Last edited by Bizer; 05-02-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Found listing for a slip
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddheath View Post
Thanks for the info.

We live in the Portsmouth area and currently dock our boat in Alton, it's great b/c it is so close to us. We are looking at a property on Cow Island and I am trying to figure out where I would dock the boat fort he year. Melvin Village would add almost an hour to our drive but yet keeping the boat in Alton would mean we would have to cross the broads each time we went to the cottage (no thanks)

It seems odd to me there is basically nothing between wolfboro and Melvin village to keep your boat.
Alton would be a long ride by boat, but Gilford is not. It is 15 minutes extra by car, and a straight shot across the lake to Cow. I know a few people that are on Cow (including my realtor) that crosses from Gilford to Cow. There are more docking options and far more services available in Gilford as well.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Harry513

Sunset Lodges in Tuftonboro rents slips. It is on the Basin so size of boat is an issue to get under the bridge. Call them 603-569-2636 ask for Michael
Harry513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
ursa minor

As others have stated, Melvin Village Marina is the closest "marina" to Cow if you're coming from the Portsmouth area. Lane's End Marina is only 1/4 mile or so from MVM and may also have rental slips available.

Pick Point Lodge has some seasonal rentals, they are in a small cove just past the Barber's Pole, I'm not sure if there would be any openings. Also, do a search online for the Cow Island Forum, I believe one of the members there may have a slip at 19 Mile Bay available for rent this season. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Just Sold

I second Codeman671's suggestion of Gilford. You have a number of boat clubs where you can rent a dock. There is, Glendale Yacht Club, Mountain View Yacht Club, Fay's boat Yard and Silver Sands Marina and a few others plus there are privately owned docks that are available. Look in the classifieds here too http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...&categoryid=33
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
MikeF-NH

you may also be able to rent a mooring from Long Island Bridge campground rather than a slip. If I had the money and one was available, 19 Mile Bay probably offers the best island to shore access for Cow unless Harillas has slips (which I do not think they do). If you consider Gilford not a far ride then consider Shep Browns on Merideth Neck which is closer than Gilford. Another option that is not much worse than Alton Bay is West Alton Marina. I make that cross in my 16 footer (conditions permitting) in about 15 minutes. Anytime you have to cross the Broads to get somewhere, you have to consider the weather. Winds over 15 mph SHOULD give you pause on that lake. For these reasons, I would look at slips at Melvin or 19 Mile or a mooring at Long Island Bridge campground as first options. The north end of the lake in the Moultonboro Bay area is going to be a significantly longer ride for you than Alton any way you cut it BUT it will pay off in the long run as you are in what I consider the nicest part of the lake.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Donzi Minx

Smile Cow Island

I am sure there are people that remember when Cow Island was owned by the Roys family. It was known as Camp Idlewild. Many happy lazy summer days in August back in the late 60's early 70's. By God I am dating myself!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
JTA

Harilla Landing Yacht Club is a great access spot to Cow. There are usually a few in-water or rack slips for lease and a couple for sale (of 200 owners). Call Complete Marine Care at Harilla 603-651-9727.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
cowisl

Harilla is the best bet...especially for island living.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
nhd

Coming from Portsmouth I would suggest Pier 19 or Pick Point. You can find out if there are slips at Pick Point by calling Walker and Varney in Wolfeboro.
We came to the Lake from Greenland for many years to our camp on Little Bear. The first couple we were at Quayside, and it took a long time to get around to that side of the lake. It was always a killer to go by the docks at Pier 19 and then spend another 40 minutes or so driving to Quayside. We rented at Pick Point for many years before we bought a slip at Pier 19.
Now we live in Alton and I still enjoy the convenience Pier 19 offers. I sell island real estate and have a boat in Alton Bay also, but there are days when it can be brutal going across the Broads. Mainly the boat in Alton is used for accessing islands at this end of the lake. Hope this helps. Contact me if you have any other questions.
nhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Alton would be a long ride by boat, but Gilford is not. It is 15 minutes extra by car, and a straight shot across the lake to Cow. I know a few people that are on Cow (including my realtor) that crosses from Gilford to Cow. There are more docking options and far more services available in Gilford as well.
We are from Hampton and dock at Fay's last year and MVYC this year. Easy ride and a short hop across the lake for you to cows.
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
Harilla is the best bet...especially for island living.
about the hardest place to get to on the lake coming from the seacoast.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Dog's Ear

I noticed there is a slip for rent at Pier 19. There is a sign up with a telephone # on the dock space.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
camp guy

Default Cow Island

It is a short hop across the Lake from the west side marinas on a good day, but on a bad day it is not only unpleasant, it is UNSAFE.

I suggest you try very hard to find boat space in the Melvin area as a starter, and then spend the summer refining your operation.

I can't overstate how tough the Lake can be, and I just don't think you want to either start or end your visitation time with an unpleasant and unsafe ride.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater View Post
about the hardest place to get to on the lake coming from the seacoast.
well..also remember island living...garbage, etc. Harilla is very convenient for that stuff.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Grant

Lane's End is just as close as Melvin, has slips, and is pretty convenient to the Tuftonboro transfer station for trash. Very friendly, helpful staff. Used 'em for years.