Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Meredith Resident

Default Sawyer's

We went to Sawyers last week for some lobster rolls. It was $17.99 for each lobster roll, and we later found out it didn't include fries. We went back to the counter and told the girls that we ordered the lobster roll, and they forgot to give us fries. To our surprise they indicated that their lobster rolls do NOT include fries any more, but we can buy them if we want. We declined, and make a comment that for $17.99 we should probably have fries included. Needless to say we won't be back. The new owner has shown his true colors.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sawyer's

Back when the original owner, Jack ran the drive in, the place was to die for. Unfortunately the boys took over and they never thought of keeping up the quality. The new owners think they can survive on just the name.

There are other places that are far better for you to go. Have fun!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
benzguy

Have only been a few times since the new owners took over. Everything seemed to be fine to us. I hope the quality stays the same and this treasured landmark stays for many years to come. There is always people in line.
benzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Back when the original owner, Jack ran the drive in, the place was to die for. Unfortunately the boys took over and they never thought of keeping up the quality. The new owners think they can survive on just the name.

There are other places that are far better for you to go. Have fun!
What year did the ownership change? I recall lobster rolls being $13 a year or two ago (also without fries). You are right that prices seem pretty steep now, the have become ice-cream only from here on in - it's no big deal to take the time to go to Pops or Johnsons instead.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
RailroadJoe

Has anyone looked at the market price of clams and scallops lately? They exceed lobster by a big margin. I always go to Sawyers for my scallops and I bypass Pops on the way.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
codeman671

Lobster rolls in general are a ripoff. All margin for the restaurants that serve them. $17.99 for a lobster roll? Why? We live in New England, where there are no lack of them.

The price of lobsters off the boat in general this year is quite low. There is no need to charge that much, other than to rob tourists that want the traditional New England meal. Last year a lot of the boats weren't even going out as the price was so low, but the restaurants didn't adjust accordingly in order to help out the industry. Had they not been so greedy they could have lowered pricing a bit, probably enticed a lot of customers to buy as many wont pay the high prices, and helped out the commercial industry. Make it up in volume.

We had a lobster feast over the 4th week for a bunch of people. Shaws wanted $10 per lb! We ended up paying in the $5's elsewhere.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
jetskier

Post Agreed

We went to the Weathervane on Saturday and paid $12.99 for a lobster with 2 sides. There was clearly more than a lobster roll worth of lobster meat per lobster and we got 2 sides at 72% of the price of a lobster roll at Sawyers. We were pleased.

I keep getting told how expensive lobster meat is on this forum. Yet the price of lobsters is quite low. So, I am not generally ordering dishes with "lobster meat" and am opting for an actual lobster. It seems inane to pay mostly for the lobster meat to be removed from the shell as opposed to the lobster.

We are having some friends come up from Florida in August and the plan is to buy lobsters from Market Basket. They always have great prices and they will cook them for you.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
riverat

lately fiddleheads has been 4.99 a pound
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default $5.99 in NJ

At our Shop-Rite here in NJ lobsters have been $5.99/lb. for the past few weeks. I have them steam mine and head straight home for dinner!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Just Sold

Hannafords in Gilford was $5.99/lb for the 1.25 pounders and $7.99 for selects (1.5 pounds and up) yesterday. These were soft shell lobsters. I did spring for 2 1.75 pounders and they steamed them for us. We had a great dinner back at camp. Worth the $ as far as I was concerned given the convenience.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
codeman671

Interesting reading.

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/art...hurting/13214/
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Heaven

So the question is, how do we know where to buy boat lobsters instead of pounded lobsters? I'd go out of my way....
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
So the question is, how do we know where to buy boat lobsters instead of pounded lobsters? I'd go out of my way....
We get ours at the Lobster Connection in Belmont at Mosquito bridge. Always excellent and tasty. I don't know if they come from the "pounds" or not, but i've been there when he was getting a delivery. I opt for hard shell whenever they are available...claws and knuckles all packed tight with meat, I think it's worth the difference.
I've also found him to be competitive with whichever chain store is running a special. And the place is always busy, I think that can be a good sign.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-22-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Dave M

Default Jo Joe's Lobster Roll

Wife had Lobster Roll from Jo Joe's. It was packed with chunks of Lobster.
She said it was great. Cost was $12.99.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
RANGER CANOE CO

Hi, where's Jo Joe's ?
Thanks.....
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER CANOE CO View Post
Hi, where's Jo Joe's ?
Thanks.....
Moultonboro Neck Road. On the way to Trexler's Marina it's on the right a few miles down.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
magicrobotmonkey

The saturday morning farmers market in downtown laconia has a stall with a family that owns a boat out of portsmouth selling lobsters right off of it. They are cheap, but you have to get there early because they sell out quick!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrobotmonkey View Post
The saturday morning farmers market in downtown laconia has a stall with a family that owns a boat out of portsmouth selling lobsters right off of it. They are cheap, but you have to get there early because they sell out quick!
Seems like everyone is selling lobsters for 3.99 tomorrow morning, I just don't want to be buying lobsters that have been sitting around in a pound tank for a month. . . . where do I get off the boat lobsters?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
ChocolateGypsy

Bought six, live, softshell lobsters for about $40, cooked them, immediately plunged them into ice water, cleaned & picked the meat... made 5 hot dog bun-size lobster rolls... Approximate cost of each FRESH lobster roll = less than $9.

Then I made lobster stew with the remaining bits and pieces.

fwiw, I believe the 3.99 ones are going to be softshells -- they don't last too long in those tanks because they are too delicate.

Just droppin' in for a bite.

Last edited by ChocolateGypsy; 07-26-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add comment
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Red apple

Had another great meal at Sawyers tonight!
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
Bought six, live, softshell lobsters for about $40, cooked them, immediately plunged them into ice water, cleaned & picked the meat... made 5 hot dog bun-size lobster rolls... Approximate cost of each FRESH lobster roll = less than $9.

Then I made lobster stew with the remaining bits and pieces.

fwiw, I believe the 3.99 ones are going to be softshells -- they don't last too long in those tanks because they are too delicate.
CG,Done the same thing myself......enjoyable, fun and tastes better when you make them yourself.Just want point out that a restaurant serving that same lobster roll,in addition to the cost of the product,would have to pay someone $12-$16 per hour to do what you did in your home.Add insurance,morgages,utilities,other overhead and taxes and you can understand why most restaurants charge from $13-$20.
Not criticizing at all,Chocolate Gypsy.......like your post...especially the part about the lobster stew.Just wanted to point out how much more it costs in a restaurant.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Not criticizing at all,Chocolate Gypsy.......like your post...especially the part about the lobster stew.Just wanted to point out how much more it costs in a restaurant.
I agree... I just can't find the "thank" button on my screen for some reason.
For what it's worth, I've seen "fresh picked" lobster rolls sold at fine dining restaurants for over $21.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
ChocolateGypsy

Default Off topic -- looking for lobster salad dressing recipe

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of lobster, maybe someone could help me find (or figure out) a recipe for lime dressing...

Many years ago I had a lobster salad SALAD (i.e. in a bowl w/ lots of lettuce! ) in a restaurant in NYC. It was the chef's creation -- he used fresh lobster meat but it was the creamy lime dressing that made it perfect. I've been trying to reproduce it for years, but haven't been able to figure it out. It tasted very simple and it perfectly complemented the lobster flavor without overwhelming it but enhanced the salad as well. I think I'm missing something in the overall recipe (secret ingredient?)
Anyone have any ideas?

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was in SoHo... if anyone might know it, by chance... been there? Ordered the salad? (yeah, i know, not much help there.)

Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
chachee52

Back on the subject, I actually agree with the original posting. I have grown up going to Sawyers. Literally since I was about 6 months old I've been going, I am now 36.
Since the new owners I have noticed changes. I used to always get the ice cream soda.(at least since I can remember, don't think that I got them when I was 6 months) Best around, they always had the right mix of sauce, ice cream and soda. After the new owners took over I tried multiple times to order one and was told, "I'm not quite sure how to make one" or was given just tonic water and a very small scoop of ice cream.

I can't say much on the food. I've been a couple times and it was ok. Nothing to right home about, but then again, I never really ate there a lot before either, so i will stay out of the food debate.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
Bear Island South

We bought 10 lobsters from Heaths yesterday at 5.99/lb soft shells 1 1/4 pounders, excellent!
We missed the truck, they were going for 3.49/lb
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGypsy View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of lobster, maybe someone could help me find (or figure out) a recipe for lime dressing...

Many years ago I had a lobster salad SALAD (i.e. in a bowl w/ lots of lettuce! ) in a restaurant in NYC. It was the chef's creation -- he used fresh lobster meat but it was the creamy lime dressing that made it perfect. I've been trying to reproduce it for years, but haven't been able to figure it out. It tasted very simple and it perfectly complemented the lobster flavor without overwhelming it but enhanced the salad as well. I think I'm missing something in the overall recipe (secret ingredient?)
Anyone have any ideas?

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was in SoHo... if anyone might know it, by chance... been there? Ordered the salad? (yeah, i know, not much help there.)
Post it when you find out,CG......sounds yummy
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
NoBozo

Years ago I had dinner at the Gibson Inn in Apalachicola, FL. I had their "Grecian Shrimp" in casserole. It was excellent. When I got home to RI, I tried two or three times to duplicate it. Not even close.

So my wife say's..Why don't you call Florida and talk to the Chef. Maybe he will tell you how it's made..? Yeh right.

SO: I called Florida and and told them where I was from...and the story. The Chef got on the phone and sure enough..he told me how it was done, and a week later I did it. Bingo. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ChocolateGypsy (09-06-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
RailroadJoe

And all of tese remarks have to do with Sawyers?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #29
Jeanzb1

We, too, are disappointed in Sawyer's this year. Have gone there for 35+ years, but the increase in price this season is simply a rip-off. Two SMALL dishes of ice cream (no cones and no jimmies) cost $8.20. Give me a break. That's ridiculous.
As for the lobster rolls, they are higher-priced than anywhere else around here. Again, ridiculous when the cost of lobster is so low in all the grocery stores. The Wise Owl in West Alton has an excellent lobster roll for $11.99.
Bye bye Sawyer's. You're your own worst enemy by raising the prices out of sight.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
Happy Gourmand

Had a great lunch at Sawyer's a couple weeks ago. Everything was cooked perfectly. We didn't find the prices out of line with other places around the lake.
A very nice touch was the young folks they have roaming the dining room, offering to pick up your order and clean the table off when you're done. They didn't "hang" around fishing for a tip either.
We've never had a bad meal there, and, as usual, the place was packed. Even so, service was quick and efficient.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Litch (08-02-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #31
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Had a great lunch at Sawyer's a couple weeks ago. Everything was cooked perfectly. We didn't find the prices out of line with other places around the lake.
A very nice touch was the young folks they have roaming the dining room, offering to pick up your order and clean the table off when you're done. They didn't "hang" around fishing for a tip either.
We've never had a bad meal there, and, as usual, the place was packed. Even so, service was quick and efficient.
I would just like to add that during my 14 years living here I never had anything but good things to say about Sawyer's. They always served excellent fresh foods and ice cream, I was never afraid to recommend them to Family and Friends and none of them ever had any disappointment as well. Some still talk to me by phone and rave about Sawyer's.
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Litch (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
Litch

Default Sawyer's Disappoints

We at Sawyer’s thank you for your comments. We do value all comments both negative and positive! The negative helps us to improve and the positive always gives us a boost in an otherwise very demanding business.
We wish you had notified us of your displeasure as I am sure we would have remedied your problem on the spot. Again, thank you!
Litch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Litch For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-04-2013), Meredith Resident (08-04-2013), trfour (08-02-2013), upthesaukee (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Welcome to the Forum

Litch, thanks for responding and welcome to the forum.

Nice response.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litch View Post
We at Sawyer’s thank you for your comments. We do value all comments both negative and positive! The negative helps us to improve and the positive always gives us a boost in an otherwise very demanding business.
We wish you had notified us of your displeasure as I am sure we would have remedied your problem on the spot. Again, thank you!
Dear Litch:

Thanks for responding. I did actually notify the girl that I was unhappy that no fries were included in our lobster roll, and she said I can buy them if I would like. I made a comment along the lines of, "for $17.99 I would think it would be included," but she didn't offer anything more at that point, so I declined and walked away. In fact I haven't been back since then. Can I ask why fries are not included with Lobster rolls anymore? Thanks.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #35
Just Sold

Thumbs up Sawyer's AOK in My Book

We were at Sawyer's today and we found the food great. I had the mushroom swiss burger and Mrs. Just Sold had the grilled chicken with bacon, cheese with honey mustard with a side of cole slaw. I had the onion rings which were the best I have had in a long time. The restaurant was clean and the service was excellent.
So to the new owner and their staff welcome and keep up the good job.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
We were at Sawyer's today and we found the food great. I had the mushroom swiss burger and Mrs. Just Sold had the grilled chicken with bacon, cheese with honey mustard with a side of cole slaw. I had the onion rings which were the best I have had in a long time. The restaurant was clean and the service was excellent.
So to the new owner and their staff welcome and keep up the good job.
Sounds great . How much longer do you expect to be with us eating that stuff ?
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #37
RailroadJoe

Billy Bob Is that post really necessary?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (08-05-2013), upthesaukee (08-05-2013), Winnigirl (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Thumbs down

The food police has arrived.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Sounds great . How much longer do you expect to be with us eating that stuff ?
How much longer do you expect to be with us posting this stuff?
brk-lnt (08-05-2013), Pineedles (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Shreddy

I can certainly see how Billy Bob's comment can be taken in bad taste, but I think he meant it sarcastically. I thought it was funny and I don't think he was directing negativity at Just Sold but rather joking about the nutritional value of the meals chosen. Everyone's entitled to chose what they eat...but again, I think it was simply a sarcastic joke rather than a serious comment...maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #41
ChocolateGypsy

Default about lobsters...

At the risk of sounding like I'm scolding...

Try to remember when criticizing prices at restaurants that a lot more goes into a restaurant meal than just the cost of ingredients. And those things keep increasing along with regulations.

What's really important is the customer's perception of quality and value.

I admit that Meredith Resident's lobster roll sounds a bit expensive not to come with fries when compared to what's generally considered the norm around here. But if the lobster had been taken from the tank, cooked, prepared and served on a small French baguette, on a paper lace-covered plate... while the customer was provided full service while seated on a shaded patio, on the waterfront... then I can see how $17.99 would not include fries. (I wouldn't be happy about it, but I've seen it.)

For what it's worth, the only people really cashing-in on the lobster glut are the commercial processing houses who are the primary customers of the industry. (It's that $24.00 can of frozen lobster meat at the grocery store that should be ridiculed and condemned.)

Furthermore, please take into consideration that the price of a live lobster is relative to its likelihood of dying in the tank. (Besides the factors of time, initial condition, and injury there's... well, they don't feed those things unless you count cannibalism as "feeding.")

Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #42
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Perception of Quality and value

That is the basic philosophy of retailing. All consumers have they own conception of quality and how much they are willing to pay for it.

I like my lobster hard shelled chix size. I do like my meat soft yet slightly firm. Most people will consider it undercooked but that is how us true Englanders like it. I would pay top dollar to a restaurant who will serve it this way.

But most restaurants over cook the lobster to the point that the meat has a 'rubber' consistency, and they want top dollar for it. To me it is a bad value, and to most, 'to die for'.

To me there isn't really a good seafood restaurant in the area. If I want a good seafood meal, I will head North of Kennebunk for a good meal. It is worth the trip. Lobster rolls in the Lakes Region are not worth the money I want to spend. If I want a good lobster roll, I will make it myself, as you can see some of us do make our own. If I do want lobster roll at a restaurant I would go to McDonald's, they make a reasonable lobster roll at a decent price.

Oh, by the way, the last time I had decent fried clams in NH was at the Red Blazer in Concord. A very light batter, fast fried in fresh oil. The clams were like a watery consistency yet cooked. You can't taste the oil and the batter was very light. The tarter sauce was homemade and slight tangy.

To each his or her own.................
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #43
ApS

Wink ...Nobody goes there anymore: It's too crowded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Family members are friends of Sawyers' owners, and mentioned this thread to them. The owners said, "We hear of this from time to time".

Yesterday my family reported back, that Sawyers had an employee directing traffic!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #44
Smokienorm

Default Sawyers reborn

The new owner of Sawyers did extensive cleaning and remodeling, and updated the restaurant throughout. They have added digital menu boards and now take credit cards, which the prior owners did not. We have found the food to be better than ever, and they have had to expand the front of the place to be able to produce more ice cream to meet demand. Yes, some items are a little pricey, but we have always enjoyed ourselves there. For a while this past summer they were running a special fried oysters plate with fries and slaw for a ridiculously low price. We are only sorry that they did not stay open longer this past season.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokienorm For This Useful Post:
Winni-Retired (08-14-2015)
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #45
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
The new owner of Sawyers did extensive cleaning and remodeling, and updated the restaurant throughout. They have added digital menu boards and now take credit cards, which the prior owners did not. We have found the food to be better than ever, and they have had to expand the front of the place to be able to produce more ice cream to meet demand. Yes, some items are a little pricey, but we have always enjoyed ourselves there. For a while this past summer they were running a special fried oysters plate with fries and slaw for a ridiculously low price. We are only sorry that they did not stay open longer this past season.

Each summer I make it a point to go there, and this summer, the ice cream was just plain rancid tasting. I haven't tried any of their food items, but my wife and I were just shocked at how terrible it was. Hopefully it was a bad batch or something, but I am willing to give it another shot next season.
Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote