Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
IslandRadio

Talking A boat anchored in front of our place for *5 hours* ??? Hmmm...

So, caught on our Web Cam (click here) was a boat that was anchored in front of our place from at least 1:00 to 5:00, just sitting out there..

Now, my mind wanders... what could any one (or ones) POSSIBLY be DOING on an anchored boat for 5 hours (no, no fishing gear was observed).

If visit the Rattlesnake Island web site soon - before 1:00 Tuesday afternoon, click on 1:00PM up to 5:00PM images, and the boat is there.

Hmmmm... What happens if someone skinny dips in front of a web cam (besides the number of hits going up rather dramatically, of course!).
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It wasn't us, but...

We go out in our boat, and anchor in deeper water, rather than hang out at a sand bar. We pack a lunch, bring a book, or more so now-a-days a tablet or Kindle, and just make a day of it. If we get hot, we slip over the side to cool off. We may be in Roberts Cove, in Alton Bay down inside the Sandy point area, in Winter Harbor.

I can't say that we have anchored close into shore in front of someone's home, regardless if it is on an island or the mainland.

But do we go out for 4 or 5 hours at anchor...yes we do. (not a better nap than one on the boat, with a general rocking from a little wave action, or some boat wakes.) Maybe it is a generational thing... golf for 4 hours, get ready to go on the boat less than an hour, out on the boat for 4-5 hours, go back to the dock, button up the boat, go home, give the cat his treats, call the kids back after listening to our voice mail where they asked where we were, and laugh when they say did you do anything on the lake that was interesting. Yes we did...sat back, read, napped, and watched the world go by.

Just one guy's thought, with the wife's agreement.
Bandrews7 (07-23-2014), irisluvr (08-29-2014), Misha888 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
So, caught on our Web Cam (click here) was a boat that was anchored in front of our place from at least 1:00 to 5:00, just sitting out there..

Now, my mind wanders... what could any one (or ones) POSSIBLY be DOING on an anchored boat for 5 hours (no, no fishing gear was observed).

If visit the Rattlesnake Island web site soon - before 1:00 Tuesday afternoon, click on 1:00PM up to 5:00PM images, and the boat is there.

Hmmmm... What happens if someone skinny dips in front of a web cam (besides the number of hits going up rather dramatically, of course!).
Could they have anchored there and gone ashore on another boat to visit a friend perhaps?
secondcurve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Could they have anchored there and gone ashore on another boat to visit a friend perhaps?
Umm yeah right..That's what "they" were doing!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
jrc

Upthesaukee describe a typical adult cruiser's day. Most of us avoid anchoring in front of people's houses and especially in front of a web cam.

Popular sand bars have their fun but with the constant threat of the Marine Patrol, you really can't just sit and relax.

Take a boat ride around Timber Island on a Saturday. There are people anchored from dawn to dusk.

BTW I'm sure people have skinny dipped in the lake, and everything that happen in a house has happened in a boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We had a boat anchor overnight Sat. night. I know it's illegal. On Sunday someone parked themselves right in front of our beach. I hope they enjoyed staring at us as much as I enjoyed staring at them. NOT! Really, with a whole lake out there, do people need to do that? Up, I appreciate the fact that YOU don't do that!!!!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
But do we go out for 4 or 5 hours at anchor...yes we do. (not a better nap than one on the boat, with a general rocking from a little wave action, or some boat wakes.) Maybe it is a generational thing...

Just one guy's thought, with the wife's agreement.

Couldn't agree more with upthesaukee !!

Don't get on our boat if ya think you'll be back to the dock anytime soon

Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Anchoring

I have anchored many times all day with kids and now my grandkids off of shore, almost always try to avoid being in front of a camp. Lately the lake is pretty much developed and many of my favorite places are 'off limits'.

I avoid the crowds as the crowds usually attract the MP. And the MP patrol do their normal 'harassing' instead of saying I think you are too close or I think you should move a bit there.

At the family cottage on The Broads we occasionally have family anchor off shore and we don't have a problem with this. Sometimes we ask them to have the kids use the beach! The only time it gets annoying is the high school or college crowd with their loud music and beer cans in the water.

Other than that, it is a fact of life on Winnipesaukee, however there are a bunch of 'nonconformists' that beg to differ.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
jrc

I guess if everyone tried not to be rude and had a thick skin about people who didn't, the world would be a better place.

But now everything is a right and we need to defend those rights or we will lose them.

All in all we are blessed to live an exceptional part of an exceptional country, just watch the news and all these issues seem silly.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Smith Point

I look at it a little differently, I contribute that you have a good spot on the lake and that the anchorers (out of the hole lake) chose to anchor in front of your place for a good reason. But out of common curtsy (in most cases) there should be a little skinny-dipping involved! There’s nothing worse than a soggy swimsuite.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We had a boat anchor overnight Sat. night. I know it's illegal. On Sunday someone parked themselves right in front of our beach. I hope they enjoyed staring at us as much as I enjoyed staring at them. NOT! Really, with a whole lake out there, do people need to do that? Up, I appreciate the fact that YOU don't do that!!!!!!!
If we had someone anchor overnight without asking, I would be totally creeped out I wouldn't sleep a wink. I would definitely ask them to leave.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
If we had someone anchor overnight without asking, I would be totally creeped out I wouldn't sleep a wink. I would definitely ask them to leave.
I didn't know they were there until I got up in the morning. And even if I saw them there before I went to bed, I don't think I would have been nervous. I wouldn't have thought they were spending the night because it happens so seldom-would have thought they were just sitting there enjoying the evening. (unless they were all closed up, that would be a big hint!)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Tagdot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8txk_B0SFw
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Sal

Default what to do, what to do . . .

Doesn't the Marine Patrol phone work
at night?

If on the "mainland" doesn't the local police phone work at night?

If neither are functional, sounds like the perfect time to break out
the fireworks which were saved for that special occasion.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Doesn't the Marine Patrol phone work
at night?

If on the "mainland" doesn't the local police phone work at night?

If neither are functional, sounds like the perfect time to break out
the fireworks which were saved for that special occasion.
Fireworks would just give them a nice show. Maybe they brought some and will light them off your dock since it's below the water line
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
swnoel

The lake would be beautiful again if all houses where removed from within 300 feet of the shoreline!
At 300' anchored boaters wouldn't be a distraction!

The real shame and destruction is the continuous building on the shoreline!

The lake has gone from crystal clear 40 years ago to a beautiful brownish glow... thanks to all the waste entering the lake.

Great job to all those home owners, keep on flushing!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Diver Vince (08-12-2014), RailroadJoe (07-22-2014), tabascocat98 (08-07-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
RailroadJoe

Default swnoel

Check the color of the rocks that are half in and half out of the water. Quite the different color. Glad to see someone pointing the problem with the water .
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
The lake has gone from crystal clear 40 years ago to a beautiful brownish glow... thanks to all the waste entering the lake.

I don't know what lake your talking about but Winni is a hell of a lot cleaner now than it was in the 60's and 70's when I was here.

It's a good thing no one was taking water quality samples back then like they do now as no one would have been in the water!

Dan
boat_guy64 (08-19-2014), dippasan (07-22-2014), Lakepilot (07-23-2014), Pineedles (07-24-2014), Resident 2B (07-26-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Quote:

I don't know what lake your talking about but Winni is a hell of a lot cleaner now than it was in the 60's and 70's when I was here.

It's a good thing no one was taking water quality samples back then like they do now as no one would have been in the water!

Dan

I agree. Much cleaner looking in my opinion.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default I doubt it!

Quote:
The lake would be beautiful again if all houses where removed from within 300 feet of the shoreline!
At 300' anchored boaters wouldn't be a distraction!

The real shame and destruction is the continuous building on the shoreline!

You could not be more wrong! I have been on the lake every summer since 1970 and the water quality is better now than it has been in many past years. I know that many lakefront homes (mine included) now have municipal sewer and a lot of the homes that had septic systems in the past are no longer a potential problem.

The state has also done a good job of checking boats, on the lake, and in marinas, to be sure that they have holding tanks and there is no possibility of overboard discharge. When I was in a marina my boat was checked 3 times in 5 years.

Brownish glow? Sorry, I don't see it.

Is it perfect? No. What system is? But efforts are being made to make a great lake even better and I hope that they continue.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
aquabones (08-26-2014), ishoot308 (07-22-2014), Lakepilot (07-23-2014), Red apple (07-22-2014), Resident 2B (07-25-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
MeredithMan

Default Is this dirty water...??

Not sure where you are seeing the "brownish glow", SWNoel, and the "homeowners flushing", but in my view, you are very wrong. I am a waterfront property owner and my septic system--approved by the town--is on the streetside of my property...far away from the lake. Additionally, here is a photo from last week of my son swimming in front of our house in about 10 feet of water. Looks pretty darn clean to me....
Attached Images

MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
goldengirl (07-22-2014), jkjoshuatree (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #22
Lakegeezer

Default Water clarity

Water clarity is measured by visibility depth (measured with a Secchi disk) and the color of filtered water. The visibility varies greatly around the lake, and also varies by season and after busy weekends. You can find the visibility and other measurements for your area by looking at the Winnipesaukee Gateway site, under the "Monitoring the lake" tab. Greater than 4 meters visibility is excellent while less than 2.5 meters is poor. Last year, the Greens Basin average was 5.1 meters (17 ft) and 19 Mile Bay averaged 3.8 meters (12 ft) while a spot in the Broads averaged 10.5 meters (34 ft).

Overall, the lake is in good shape, but it takes vigilance to keep it that way. The Winnipesaukee River Basin Program (the sewer project) is over 25 years old now. It greatly improved the lake water quality, but unfortunately, does not service the eastern shoreline, and is aging. There is a good article celebrating the 25'th anniversary here.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
GodSmile

Default Where's a good place?

So I'm looking for a quiet place to anchor and read a book, perhaps a sandwich and a beverage... Braun Bay is a zoo.... I remember a place called Chapman Sands that my parents used to anchor our cabin cruiser back about 40 years ago but damned if I can find any reference to it... in any event, it does not need to be a sandbar, just a quiet place with no-too-rough water that is NOT in front of someone's home.... am I asking too much? leads to places where I don't have to worry about hitting unmarked (by Bizer) rocks would be great... thanks
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
surfnsnow

twenty mile bay is a nice place to anchor
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #25
glennsteely

Thumbs up The spot we used to frequent.....

......in Meredith Bay, no houses, nice, pretty smooth.......a little bit towards the Weirs past Meredith Marina, gets deep quick there, no issues getting a boat there, there used to be a rope swing there, the railroad tracks are up the hill from the water. Nice quiet spot that we used to love!! (not that there is any spot that we dont love!!)
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #26
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
So I'm looking for a quiet place to anchor and read a book, perhaps a sandwich and a beverage... Braun Bay is a zoo.... I remember a place called Chapman Sands that my parents used to anchor our cabin cruiser back about 40 years ago but damned if I can find any reference to it... in any event, it does not need to be a sandbar, just a quiet place with no-too-rough water that is NOT in front of someone's home.... am I asking too much? leads to places where I don't have to worry about hitting unmarked (by Bizer) rocks would be great... thanks
19-mile Bay in front of Farm Island (no houses on the island) is a good spot.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
dickiej

With all due respect, if we told you our "secret" places to get away from it all, they wouldn't be secret any more, would they?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
dickiej

To elaborate on my previous post, part of the pure joy of lake winni is exploring the islands, coves, nooks and crannies.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #29
Chaselady

Quote:
19-mile Bay in front of Farm Island (no houses on the island) is a good spot.
A very popular spot. Watch out for the 2 loon chicks hanging out there with their parents.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
AB_Monterey

We were out yesterday achored in the same spot from 10-7.

That's our idea of a day on the lake.

That said, I'd try to avoid being directly in front of a cottage myself.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #31
Barbara

We also use our boat as our beach and anchor for 4-5 hours at a time. We try to stay back from homes and definitely seek places away from the rafters. We live near Winter Harbor. Johnson's Cove becomes an insane place on weekends, sometimes with 40-50 boats. Not appealing at all!!
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-28-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
BroadHopper

Default Block Island RI

Ever been to the island on a holiday weekend? Shorefront owners have no say in the matter when hundreds of boats are rafting in front of their property, and these boats anchor overnight!

Just be thankful you didn't shell out gazillions pennies and put up with this crowd!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #33
Orion

Default Chapman Sands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
So I'm looking for a quiet place to anchor and read a book, perhaps a sandwich and a beverage... Braun Bay is a zoo.... I remember a place called Chapman Sands that my parents used to anchor our cabin cruiser back about 40 years ago but damned if I can find any reference to it... :
My Dad used to anchor our boat there, too.....50 years ago! We spent many days anchored and swimming there. It's the area south of Farrars Point in Center Harbor, west of FL6.

There are many many places on the lake where you can anchor and not be in front of someone's house.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
My Dad used to anchor our boat there, too.....50 years ago! We spent many days anchored and swimming there. It's the area south of Farrars Point in Center Harbor, west of FL6.

There are many many places on the lake where you can anchor and not be in front of someone's house.
The place you are referring to would seem to be just north of Sands of Brookhurst and Patrician Shores. If that is the place it's not so quite anymore. I think I counted about 50 boats there a couple of weekends ago.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
The place you are referring to would seem to be just north of Sands of Brookhurst and Patrician Shores. If that is the place it's not so quite anymore. I think I counted about 50 boats there a couple of weekends ago.
SHHHHHH Gatto..... it still never hits any maps (Boating Secrets, et al) and is the best we got ! Use to be a GREAT "Family" oriented spot until Braun Bay was declared No Rafting ...... now not so much!

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #36
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Ever been to the island on a holiday weekend? Shorefront owners have no say in the matter when hundreds of boats are rafting in front of their property, and these boats anchor overnight!

Just be thankful you didn't shell out gazillions pennies and put up with this crowd!

I hope this never happens to the lake. Can you imagine the lake full, I mean full, of rafters?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #37
dpg

Quote:
I hope this never happens to the lake. Can you imagine the lake full, I mean full, of rafters?
Heaven forbid somebody sitting in front of YOUR slice of paradise.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #38
tis

Yes, heaven forbid a hundred boats sitting in front of my place! I wouldn't like it. I do pay a lot of taxes to have a little peace.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Yes, heaven forbid a hundred boats sitting in front of my place! I wouldn't like it. I do pay a lot of taxes to have a little peace.
I understand some like quiet and privacy so to each their own...I say the more the merrier, come anchor in front of my place. Most likely you'll swim to shore and join the party. It would take quite a bit of noise for me to move you along.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-06-2014), Convertible Girl (08-06-2014), HellRaZoR004 (08-06-2014), soupyjr8 (08-06-2014), watrskir (08-06-2014), Webbsatwinni (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #40
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I understand some like quiet and privacy so to each their own...I say the more the merrier, come anchor in front of my place. Most likely you'll swim to shore and join the party. It would take quite a bit of noise for me to move you along.
As long as they have a 'full" floating cooler that they are bringing ashore!
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-06-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #41
BroadHopper

Default Fact of the lake

For those who have live on the lake all their lives, rafting in front of the property is a fact of life. It's been done for decades.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, Squam Lake is not too far North.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #42
tis

Quote:
For those who have live on the lake all their lives, rafting in front of the property is a fact of life. It's been done for decades.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, Squam Lake is not too far North.
I have lived on the lake my whole life. I have to say I don't remember people rafting at least like they do today. I like the activity of the lake. I am just saying I would not like a hundred boats in front of my place. A few is ok.

I can see this becoming a huge issue in the future. When a lakefront owner says something like I just did, the rafters jump on them. It is a very contentious subject.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #43
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Heaven forbid somebody sitting in front of YOUR slice of paradise.
They do, all the time. And usually I don't mind it. But when they are very noisy and when we see them do their bathroom thing in the lake and when they take their dogs on our neighbors land to go to the bathroom and when they go on our neighbor's dock and when they park right in front of our beach-- I must say I don't like it.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #44
BroadHopper

Quote:
They do, all the time. And usually I don't mind it. But when they are very noisy and when we see them do their bathroom thing in the lake and when they take their dogs on our neighbors land to go to the bathroom and when they go on our neighbor's dock and when they park right in front of our beach-- I must say I don't like it.
Now this I agree 100%. It is all about RESPECT!

Problem is those who come up to vacation, appears to have no respect at all!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #45
dpg

Quote:
Your right that's a whole other thread and I ain't going there. Think there's some exageration there but whatever it is what it is. And no I do not own waterfront so I guess I don't have a leg to stand on. Been "coming up" for thirty years but not to waterfront.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #46
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Your right that's a whole other thread and I ain't going there. Think there's some exageration there but whatever it is what it is. And no I do not own waterfront so I guess I don't have a leg to stand on. Been "coming up" for thirty years but not to waterfront.
There is absolutely no exaggeration here and I resent that. Would you like to come visit me and ask my neighbors what they have seen since you don't believe me?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #47
Phantom

Quote:
Tis --- where do you live?

I can't figure out from the posts which sandbar or rafting area you are in front of ?

(serious question)

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Tis --- where do you live?

I can't figure out from the posts which sandbar or rafting area you are in front of ?

(serious question)

Your signature line caught my eye...lol...you wouldn't be the phantom painter of the Long Island bridge would you?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #49
BroadHopper

Default List of No Rafting Zones.

I have been unable to find a list of No Rafting zones for NH. I can find individual RSAs but no list. Anyone found one?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #50
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Here Ya Go

Quote:
I have been unable to find a list of No Rafting zones for NH. I can find individual RSAs but no list. Anyone found one?
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...estricted.html
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #51
jrc

Remember rafting in NH means tying three or more boats together, being too close to another boat or being within 150' of shore.

From the most recent copy of Saf-c 400 on the State of NH website, it does not include the recently approved closed coves behind Stonedam:

Saf-C 407.03 Prohibited Areas.
(a) Rafting, as defined in RSA 270:42, V, shall be prohibited on the following portions of Lake Winnipesaukee, unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:

(1) The area known as Kona Mansion, in the town of Moultonborough, east of an imaginary line running north and south from the red top mark buoy located on the western tip of Avery's Point on the south to the Kona Farm gas docks on the north;

(2) Small's Cove in the town of Alton, southwest of an imaginary line running southeast-northwest from light 75 on the northwestern end to the northernmost point of land marking the entrance to the first cove, south of Small's Cove on the south;

(3) Wentworth Cove, southwest of Governor's Island Bridge west of an imaginary north-south line, running from light 43 on the north to the black top buoy, located off Wentworth Cove Estates on the south;

(4) Braun Bay, within 300 feet of both fish and game property lines, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;

(5) Braun Bay, at a distance less than 75 feet from shore, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;

(6) The area known as Cedar Cove, specifically identified as the area opposite Plum Island which borders the town of Alton tax map 18, lot numbers 12 through 20 and 55;

(7) The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 63, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 15, lot number 20;

(8) The entire area known as Green’s Basin in the town of Moultonborough;

(9) Orchard Cove, on the east side of Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro;

(10) The entire area known as Buzzell Cove in the town of Moultonborough;

(11) Brickyard Cove, south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island;

(12) The entire area known as Black Cove, in the town of Meredith, encompassing an area in Meredith tax map S-7, east from the northern most point of Lot 5-1 to the southeastern most point of Lot 1;

(13) The entire area known as East Cove in the town of Moultonborough;

(14) The entire area known as Advent Cove in the town of Meredith; and

(15) Roberts Cove, in the town of Alton, east of an imaginary line running north to south from the westerly boundary of lot 41 on tax map 48 to the westerly boundary of lot 1 on tax map 48.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #52
BroadHopper

Default Statistics.

Even though Mark Twain calls them lies, here in NH it is truth.

For the State of NH. Rafting Limitations or no rafting.

Lake Ossipee is interesting, there is only one area with a limitation of 10 boats that can raft.

Lake Sunapee has 2 No Rafting Zones. I noticed they are in congested areas and it makes sense.

Lake Winnipesaukee has 13 No rafting zones with one area limiting rafting to 25' and 3 boats.

Looks like the rest of the state is pretty clear.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that the Great Bay and Piscataqua River one cannot anchor and or raft at any spot. You must find an empty mooring buoy at designated areas and anchor from there. You need to register with the harbormaster for overnight.

Another interesting tidbit is that the entire Connecticut River is the jurisdiction of NH. Not down the middle with VT as people believe.

Bear in mind there are only less than 100 full time marine patrol officers patrolling offer 900 bodies of navigable waters. And people are squawking about no marine patrol presence. Winnipesaukee I believe is the only NH navigable body that has presence 24/7.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #53
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Your signature line caught my eye...lol...you wouldn't be the phantom painter of the Long Island bridge would you?
Quite simply NO
(although in my younger years, you would have had just concern it was me )

I actually have had this "signature" since joining in 2005-- long before the bridge got vandalized/ tagged a few years back

WakeboardMom (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #54
Chaselady

Quote:
I don't blame you one bit. For starters, I don't get the whole "rafting" bit. Maybe I don't like to be tied up with a bunch of people. I also notice, like at Braun Bay people who raft together are often drinking, and yelling (because folks have NO clue how sound carries over water) peeing in the water. Honestly, who wants to swim in someone else's toilet? Where do people think all that beer is going?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-06-2014), Jeanzb1 (08-06-2014), tis (08-06-2014), upthesaukee (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #55
Phantom

Ever notice that the ones typically truly "rafting" (3+ boats tied together) are

(1) typically ALL from the same Marina ?
(2) typically in the 32'+ Sea Ray class
(3) more often than not from the same slip !

My wife & I always laugh at the fact that these boats/ people spend all of their time socializing on the same dock all mornings & evenings, then go out and spend all their Lake time "rafted" together.

To each his own - I guess .........

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #56
jrc

Is this going to turn into an anti-rafting thread and then be put in the dungeon?

I'm not big on big rafts because we don't like to be tied down. But I have enjoyed quite a few good days with friends in rafts.

I'm so sick and tired of the toilet thing it just makes me sick to have to address it again. Sure people standing in the water will pee in the water but that doesn't really apply to rafters as much as any crowd in the water. Does making rafting illegal keep all the small boats out of Braun bay? Those people standing in the water are peeing the same if their boats are tied together or not. The kids on Weirs beach are peeing in the water, the kids in the Boy Scout camp are peeing in the water, your kids are peeing in the water on your beach, fishermen are peeing in the water, ever see a bass boat with a head, a canoe, a kayak? Make peeing illegal not rafting.

Phantom's list makes it actually better to allow rafting. Larger 32'+ boats all have heads and holding tanks, but small boats don't.

As to the rest of the list, why are you surprised that people hang out with their friends?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
Phantom

Back the bus up JRC !

first, I never took a position on rafting -- quite frankly I don't give a hoot (please note my comment of "to each his own")

Second -- I never touched the topic of the Lake being a toilet --- We all know what happens, live with it or leave.

and finally -- to your question -"why am I surprised people hang out with their friends ?" ......... Hanging out vs. being around them every weekend all day/all night Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/socializing on the slip in between are two different things.......

As I said ..... To each his own
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #58
dpg

Would you like to come visit me and ask my neighbors what they have seen since you don't believe me?

Nope I'm good thank you.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #59
jrc

Sorry, most of my post was addressing the irritating comment about rafters using the lake as a toilet. Did not mean to tar you with that brush.

Agree that sometimes you can have too much of a good thing, regarding friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-07-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #60
Music Man

Quote:
Ditto - today we went down to Carry Beach in Wolfeboro, and were "treated" to a single boat anchored just outside the swimming area, blasting its music back at the beach, with their oblivious hoard partying hardy.

It makes you think bad thoughts...
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #61
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Is this going to turn into an anti-rafting thread and then be put in the dungeon?

I'm not big on big rafts because we don't like to be tied down. But I have enjoyed quite a few good days with friends in rafts.

I'm so sick and tired of the toilet thing it just makes me sick to have to address it again. Sure people standing in the water will pee in the water but that doesn't really apply to rafters as much as any crowd in the water. Does making rafting illegal keep all the small boats out of Braun bay? Those people standing in the water are peeing the same if their boats are tied together or not. The kids on Weirs beach are peeing in the water, the kids in the Boy Scout camp are peeing in the water, your kids are peeing in the water on your beach, fishermen are peeing in the water, ever see a bass boat with a head, a canoe, a kayak? Make peeing illegal not rafting.

Phantom's list makes it actually better to allow rafting. Larger 32'+ boats all have heads and holding tanks, but small boats don't.

As to the rest of the list, why are you surprised that people hang out with their friends?
To drill down a bit deeper: The problem isn't rafting. Nor is it peeing. These are symptoms. The real problem is drinking but no one wants to address this issue.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #62
Chaselady

Quote:
To drill down a bit deeper: The problem isn't rafting. Nor is it peeing. These are symptoms. The real problem is drinking but no one wants to address this issue.
I agree. But I will drill a little deeper. Lack of respect. Some folks think, because they have a boat on the lake, that thy are entitled to do whatever they like. The drinking just makes that attitude worse.
Like the guy who exposed himself in front of our house, to empty his bladder, in front of our young child ( at that time) and then proceeded to flip us off when we said something to him.
It's hard to ignore, condone, and even get past that stuff after a while. And for those that believe we should " go somewhere else" if we don't like it....
We invested our lives, money, and yearly tax bills to live on this lake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-12-2014), tis (08-11-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #63
HellRaZoR004

Default Here, let me change that for you....

Quote:
I agree. But I will drill a little deeper. Lack of respect. Some folks think, because they have a house on the lake, that thy are entitled to do whatever they like.
I'm not being serious. But sometimes I feel like that's how some people behave. I don't condone this behavior but it still happens.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #64
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I'm not being serious. But sometimes I feel like that's how some people behave. I don't condone this behavior but it still happens.
It happens. If I behaved in such a manner, in someone's driveway, in front of their house, I might be arrested for indecent exposure, and possibly end up on the sex offender registry. But when it happens on the lake, the attitude is so different...." What the hell, just enjoying ourselves!"
Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #65
jrc

No one wants to see a man expose himself to empty his bladder. That's really a special level of crude. What did the Marine Patrol do to him?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #66
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
No one wants to see a man expose himself to empty his bladder. That's really a special level of crude. What did the Marine Patrol do to him?
They were called, and didn't come. This was several years ago. But left a lasting impression.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #67
Rusty

Quote:
They were called, and didn't come. This was several years ago. But left a lasting impression.
What could the MP do if you didn't have a video or photo of the guy exposing himself? It would be your word against his.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #68
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What could the MP do if you didn't have a video or photo of the guy exposing himself? It would be your word against his.
I have often seen men stop to relieve themselves while snowmobiling too.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #69
Lakegeezer

When you gotta go, you gotta go. If you come across someone expressing relief, please look the other way. You will both feel better.
topwater (08-11-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #70
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
When you gotta go, you gotta go. If you come across someone expressing relief, please look the other way. You will both feel better.
True but most people try to exercise some discretion while others 'show it off.' Next time try shouting "Hey Buddy! Ya got something in an adult size?!"
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (08-12-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #71
LakeGirl03249

If the Boat's a rock'n...don't come a knock'n!
Some people like a little salsa with their chips while relaxing on the lake!
LakeGirl03249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #72
RLW

Smile

LakeGirl03249, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Try and join in on the forum as often as you can

Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #73
Kamper

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces...l?soc_src=copy

Can you imagine the ruckus if somebody tried this, here?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #74
RANGER CANOE CO

Smile

Quote:
I don't blame you one bit. For starters, I don't get the whole "rafting" bit. Maybe I don't like to be tied up with a bunch of people. I also notice, like at Braun Bay people who raft together are often drinking, and yelling (because folks have NO clue how sound carries over water) peeing in the water. Honestly, who wants to swim in someone else's toilet? Where do people think all that beer is going?
Rafting thing Well at least you dont live here
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #75
dpg

If the Boat's a rock'n...don't come a knock'n!
Some people like a little salsa with their chips while relaxing on the lake!

Wanna go fishing this weekend??
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #76
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER CANOE CO View Post
Rafting thing Well at least you dont live here
Where is this?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #77
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Where is this?
Don't know, but it looks a lot like a jobbie nooner in Michigan.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #78
BroadHopper

Quote:
Where is this?
Sanibel Island in Florida maybe?

Aren't you glad you are not on Lake Norman NC Home of the world record rafting event? I heard there were many accidents on the interstate bridge on the holiday weekends because of hooters...........................
Old 08-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #79
tis

That was what I was saying earlier, I hope this lake never looks like that!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #80
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Gbg

Quote:
Where is this?
St Clair River- Lake St Clair Mi. Sorry for the delay. My post are Monitored for some reason
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #81
jrc

I hate to dig up a quiet topic but I saw this and thought of the problem discussed here, maybe this sign needs to be at boat launches.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #82
SIKSUKR

Ok now,those signs are sexist or are they saying just don't pee out of the water. I suppose there could be a squatting silloulette.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #83
Rich

What's sexist about it?

If you want to know how to do this as a female, there are instructions available. I'd post a link, but I'm sure can do your own google search if you really needed this info. Check www.wikihow.com for detailed instructions (and not 'adult oriented' videos).
Old 08-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #84
Farfrumbehavin

It's interesting that the thread started with the topic of anchoring in front of someones house on the lake and ended up about peeing in the water. I anchored once close to the shore of an island. There was a dock close by and a small camp in the woods. there was no boat at the dock and it looked like the place was deserted. We grilled up some burgers and while we were eating a couple came in on a boat to the dock and tied off. I apologized for being so close and began pulling up the anchor to move and the people insisted that it was not a problem and that we stay as long as we would like. We finished eating and thanked them for there hospitality and they thanked us for the visit and we moved on. I really hadn't given it much thought that there may an edicate to anchoring in a public body of water, But did feel uncomfortable in front of someones camp. Of course we had just given up our own privacy as well. Is there an unspoken rule as to how far from shore you should anchor if there is houses near by? I like to hug the shore for shelter from the wind, but now I look for a place where i'm not invading anyones privacy. Inside of the 150 ft line also get's you inside the no wake area which i would think is safer for everyone. As far as the peeing goes, is it the pollution to the lake or the fact that someone is exposing themselves that is the issue or both. I would think that if you had to pee you could be discrete so nobody could even tell what your doing. Pulling up in front of someones house close enough so they can see what you are holding in your hand is just ridiculous. Otherwise let's face it, your never going to stop the peeing. How many people pee right after they jump in and nobody ever knows. As far as polution goes I'm sure there are much bigger problems on the lake than people peeing, But yeah nobody wants to watch! But if we have to pee we hold it all day untill we get home that night, would you beleive anyone who told you that?
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #85
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What's sexist about it?

If you want to know how to do this as a female, there are instructions available. I'd post a link, but I'm sure can do your own google search if you really needed this info. Check www.wikihow.com for detailed instructions (and not 'adult oriented' videos).
I guess you missed my smiley face.