Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Arrow Wear Your P.F.D.

....that water is still pretty cold!
Sympathies to the Hadlock family
...kudos to the first responders.

Quote:
Ashland man dies after being pulled from Lake Winona
Laconia Daily Sun - 5/7/13
CENTER HARBOR — An Ashland man who fell overboard into the waters of Lake Winona on Sunday morning passed away despite the valiant actions of Craig Lutz of Center Harbor who saw the mishap from shore and promptly went to the rescue.
After being pulled from the water, Spencer Hadlock, 66, was taken first to Lakes Region General Hospital then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center where he passed away. A statement released to the news media by New Hampshire Marine Patrol Monday evening did not specify the time or cause of Hadlock's death.
According to Sgt. Eric Robertson, the incident was reported to the New Hampshire Marine Patrol at approximately 10:30 a.m. on Sunday. Witnesses told Marine Patrol said that Hadlock, who was operating a 14-foot Sea Nymph powered by 6-horsepower outboard, was seated reaching for the motor when he fell into the lake.
Lutz said yesterday that he saw Hadlock fall into the lake and begin treading water before slipping beneath the surface. By then Lutz said that he had launched a canoe and begun paddling toward where he last saw Hadlock, a distance he estimated at 100 yards. Not far from his boat, its stern filling with water, he found Hadlock floating face down on the surface of the lake.
"I didn't try to get him in the canoe," Lutz said. He's a big guy and it was small canoe and I was afraid of tipping it over and then two of us would be in the water. Instead I grabbed his arm and got his face out of the water," he continued. "Then I twisted his arm and held it between my legs to keep his head out of the water." When he reached shore he opened Hadlock's airways and, with an assistance from another bystander, began CPR. He said he and the bystander continued performing CPR until emergency medical personnel from the New Hampton Fire Department arrived some "ten or twenty minutes later."
Lutz said that he could not tell if his efforts to resuscitate Hadlock were successful, but subsequently learned that EMTs found his pulse in the ambulance.
Hadlock was not wearing a personal flotation device.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
HellRaZoR004

20 minutes is a pretty long response time.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default You don't know how many times

I've seen folks in non-motorized vessels not wearing a PFD out on the Broads! And they are not kids either!
Aldidonato (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I've seen folks in non-motorized vessels not wearing a PFD out on the Broads! And they are not kids either!
The problem is that people don't think accidents will happen to them.... Unfortunately they happen all the time.

Yes indeed that water is still cold............
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The problem is that people don't think accidents will happen to them.... Unfortunately they happen all the time.

Yes indeed that water is still cold............
I don't think people think accidents will not happen to them its more uncomfortable to wear. To put it on and keep it on when its hot and then start sweating its gets itchy and very uncomfortable. I agree they should be worn at all times in a non motorized boat, or in a boat by yourself.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have the inflatable PFDs with the manual pull cord. They are comfortable to wear and we wear them whenever in a boat, paddle or motorized. We got the manual type as we sometimes use them paddling kayaks on the lake, an auto inflate type might inflate just from the paddle dripping/splashing.

For use in just motorized boats the auto inflate type may be a good choice.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
PaugusBayFireFighter

I've responded to thousands of medical calls and I know even a 3 minute response can feel like 10 minutes to someone waiting for help. Doing CPR and waiting as long as Mr. Lutz did must have seemed like an eternity. He was doing some good CPR considering the victim got a cardiac rhythm back after being down for so long.
Cold water drownings are much more survivable than other drownings, younger patients have been revived after being submerged for over an hour.
Anybody who is hypothermic and still alive is very susceptible to cardiac arrest if they are jostled around. Nice and easy is paramount when dealing with a prolonged cold water submersion or any hypothermic patient.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Misty Blue

Default Let me repeat myself...

New Hampshire law requires that all children 12 years old and younger are required to wear a PFD while underway in a boat.

Underway is any time that a vessel is not tied to the shore, anchored or aground.

I can not recall ever hearing of a child drowning while underway. When do they drown? When the boat is tied to a dock. At the campground. On the beach. Playing on the dock. In the brook. In the pool. These are times when parents and older family are not paying as close attention to the children as they would in the underway boat.

No blame game here. Kids are quick and when they go under there is no noise. It is an easy mistake to make.

OK lecture over. Just kids need to wear their any time they are near the water.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2013), trfour (05-13-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Shortstop

Default You won't hear them.

Great point about kids going under quietly. I was vacuuming my above ground pool and let a 6 year old sit on the side until I was thru. While looking away, he slid in and I never heard it. I turned in time to see the top of his head bobbing and pulled him out. I still shudder to think he could have drowned 5 feet from me.

Also, every year we can count on a few drownings in NH lakes when a canoe tips on a 70 degree day, and the water was still so cold the person only had a short time. I'd think there are enough examples that some kind of clear example/warning would save lives. Maybe a controlled filming of a capsize with a person without a pfd, to show how little time they have.
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
RANGER CANOE CO

Spence was my neighbor and a great guy who LOVED to fish. We will miss him. This unfortunately happens every year in the early spring and late Fall. Please folks wear a PFD
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
fatlazyless

While not a Coast Guard approved item, a swimmer's belt is less bulky and more comfy to wear, plus they center the buoyancy which makes them actually good for swimming, not the case for the pfd. The swimmer's belt comes in a number of different designs and will definitely conserve your energy and keep-U-afloat while you swim or tread in the 40-50 degree water. With just one click snap, it is easier to adjust, and easier to put on when already in the water, too. And, unlike the pfd, it can always be used to practice your swimming in the calm water or in the choppy waves.

Back in the 1960's the swimmers belt was commonly used for waterskiing, and now one almost never sees them anymore, and they have them at Parafunalia in Gilford.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While not a Coast Guard approved item, a swimmer's belt is less bulky and more comfy to wear, plus they center the buoyancy which makes them actually good for swimming, not the case for the pfd. The swimmer's belt comes in a number of different designs and will definitely conserve your energy and keep-U-afloat while you swim or tread in the 40-50 degree water. With just one click snap, it is easier to adjust, and easier to put on when already in the water, too. And, unlike the pfd, it can always be used to practice your swimming in the calm water or in the choppy waves.

Back in the 1960's the swimmers belt was commonly used for waterskiing, and now one almost never sees them anymore, and they have them at Parafunalia in Gilford.
I don't think a swimmer's belt helps if you're knocked unconscious.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
jrc

A USCG or NH MP approved PFD needs to work while you are unconscious, that why FLL's swimmers belts are not legal as a PFD on a boat.

I do agree it's a PITA to swim in a PFD. They are meant to keep you afloat until help arrives, not to help you swim to safety.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
NH_boater

I would take a swimmers belt over nothing, but I believe this to be a far cry from an approved PFD. A usefull link with lots of info.

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ....the "Ferrari of waterbelts"!

... http://watergym.com/content/sf.asp ...this looks like it probably has more floatation than one really needs, and it is high priced...and obviously it is better to be wearing a swimmers belt should you fall into the icy cold water, than not to be wearing a pfd when you fall in ... plus waterbelts are good for swimmer safety when the lake gets choppy, windy or rough with white caps...and it is more comfy and less restrictive with less heat build-up when paddling...

...bargain hunting at local garage sales, old swimmers belts that have been hanging out in the garage since 1966 can sometimes be found for something like 50-cents that are still usable...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
kauriel

I don't recall the circumstances when inflatable belts are OK to use but I believe they are now coast guard approved (at least for some situations). They are not ideal for situations when you may go into the water unconscious (nor are some life jackets) but they have the potential to help, particularly in instances when someone otherwise would not wear a PFD.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
... http://watergym.com/content/sf.asp ...this looks like it probably has more floatation than one really needs, and it is high priced...and obviously it is better to be wearing a swimmers belt should you fall into the icy cold water, than not to be wearing a pfd when you fall in ... plus waterbelts are good for swimmer safety when the lake gets choppy, windy or rough with white caps...and it is more comfy and less restrictive with less heat build-up when paddling...

...bargain hunting at local garage sales, old swimmers belts that have been hanging out in the garage since 1966 can sometimes be found for something like 50-cents that are still usable...
Your "Ferrari" is not an approved life saving device. Best to stick with the Ford or Chevy.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
jeffk

Default Gym belt is a REALLY bad idea

In really cold water you can become unconscious from hypothermia surprisingly quickly so the suggestion of treading water would become drowning if you couldn't get to shore VERY quickly. The idea of using such a belt is false security and therefore foolish and dangerous.

Frankly, even a good PFD may not save you from "freezing to death" in cold water but it should keep you from drowning so you have a little longer to be rescued.

I'd happily pay real good money for a device I could count on rather than a 50 cent yard sale item that fails when you really need it. Personally, I'd be really appalled to give such a suggestion and then found someone got killed following it.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation $200+ PFDs for Windsurfers...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I don't think people think accidents will not happen to them its more uncomfortable to wear. To put it on and keep it on when its hot and then start sweating its gets itchy and very uncomfortable. I agree they should be worn at all times in a non motorized boat, or in a boat by yourself.
Back a few years, then-Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen floated the proposal that every boater would be required to wear a PFD when under way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
A USCG or NH MP approved PFD needs to work while you are unconscious...They are meant to keep you afloat until help arrives, not to help you swim to safety.
Check on those PFD "approvals".

Only a couple of PFD model-designs will keep one's face above the water should the wearer be unconscious.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
RailroadJoe

Back in the 1940's we would have said WHY.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default safetycheck

I would recommend that at the start of the season you take your life preservers, and all such equipment on the boat and test them, Back in the early 60's we used to use life cushions we sat on them, made life a little comftorable. However, we decided to test them at the end of the season and guess what, they went to the bottom faster than the anchor. My Uncle gave me four new ones for Xmas. I think the wearing ones are much better and safer, but I still think they need to be tested at the start of the season.

Safe boating this 2013 year.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote