Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
uschisk

Unhappy Shep Browns not renewing slip

So disappointed - we have had a slip at Sheps ever since we purchased our island home 10 years ago, and we just received a letter letting us know that they will be unable to offer us a slip next year as they are "using the slip for marina operations". We weren't loving the changes since the new ownership - virtually impossible to dock when all the rental boats come back and much less parking given all the day renters that come; but it is such an easy boat ride to the island and so convenient! Guess we can join the throngs searching for slips now - very disappointing.

If anyone has a marina they love, or one they like that has slips please let me know!!
uschisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Bear Island? Where are you coming from?

Might be worth looking to buy, though prices are high right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
uschisk

Default Mark Island

We are on Mark - right near the end of Bear.
We love that even in bad weather the ride has Bear to one side and land to the other side most of the way - makes even stormy boating not too bad. Also easy at night....
Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Gotcha. There's a forum member selling a slip at Quayside, which would be to the north of your island.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
uschisk

Default slips

Is it listed in the classifieds? I am guessing purchasing a slip is a little (or lot) out of our budget.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
LFODMatt

It's more of a hike than you may want, but we have been at West Alton Marina for several years and we love it. Very nice people, and a very laid back vibe. Not sure if there is a waiting list, but they are in the process of increasing the number of slips. Good luck.
LFODMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LFODMatt For This Useful Post:
uschisk (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
thinkxingu

I'll send along a message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post
Is it listed in the classifieds? I am guessing purchasing a slip is a little (or lot) out of our budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
uschisk (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Gotcha. There's a forum member selling a slip at Quayside, which would be to the north of your island.

Depending on which side of the lake the OP is coming from Quayside may be a long ride.

There are usually plenty of slips that pop up over the winter in the Gilford area, you just need to be constantly checking.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
uschisk (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Depending on which side of the lake the OP is coming from Quayside may be a long ride.

There are usually plenty of slips that pop up over the winter in the Gilford area, you just need to be constantly checking.
Maybe, but owning vs. renting might be worth a few minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
uschisk (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
Orion

Default rack vs dock

There are racks available at Harilla Landing, depending on the size of your boat. We are summer islanders and find that the rack is better than a dock since the boat doesn't sit in water and get beat up when we're not there. Racks and docks there also come up for sale frequently. Also, the facility is managed very well now with new management company and the boat is put in the water as soon as we arrive and usually before we get a chance to unload the car.
Check out http://www.harilla.org/lease.html
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:

MVYC increased member dues effective 2020 by $500. Presumably that will mean an increase in prices there and there will be some turnover. I don't know what impact this will have on Valet. If MVYC is going up, will this give others an excuse to raise their rates too as people leave MVYC seeking something cheaper?
In 2019, I know of a MVYC slip on D dock (38' x 13') went for $4900. One on A Dock (44' x 15') for $8000. Anybody know 2020 rates? I think a 24' boat in valet was ~$2300.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Maybe, but owning vs. renting might be worth a few minutes.

Having been on Mark Island for years as an islander, I always came out of gilford.
For me to drive all the way to Quayside would add a significant amount of time to my trip as I come up from the seacoast. Thats why I mentioned it would be good to know where the original poster was coming from
Old 11-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Having been on Mark Island for years as an islander, I always came out of gilford.
For me to drive all the way to Quayside would add a significant amount of time to my trip as I come up from the seacoast. Thats why I mentioned it would be good to know where the original poster was coming from
And I agreed, pointing out that--since we don't know where the OP is coming--the opportunity exists.

Obviously, the OP isn't going to buy in the wrong place, but by post served to both offer a suggestion AND ferret out important details.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #14
uschisk

Default Thank you

Sorry I missed that part of the question - we are coming from Manchester, up 93.
So certainly a part of our concern is the driving time, and then the boating - we have teenagers, people coming and going, so the easier for boating at night, in the rain, etc the better. I should add, we tried valet the first year and it did not work well for us!
The Following User Says Thank You to uschisk For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Sorry I missed that part of the question - we are coming from Manchester, up 93.
So certainly a part of our concern is the driving time, and then the boating - we have teenagers, people coming and going, so the easier for boating at night, in the rain, etc the better. I should add, we tried valet the first year and it did not work well for us!
I would definitely try to stay in gilford. As a gilford resident you should be taking advantage of Glendale. Unfortunately prices everywhere are going up. I do know of a slip for rent in Mountain View but it’s 5K for next year. what size boat do you commute with?

Gilford is an easy shot down the bypass from Belmont/Tilton, plus it puts you much closer to grocery stores, Walmart and other services when on land.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
uschisk

Default Commuting to Mark

We have a 24 foot boat.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #17
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There are racks available at Harilla Landing, depending on the size of your boat. We are summer islanders and find that the rack is better than a dock since the boat doesn't sit in water and get beat up when we're not there. Racks and docks there also come up for sale frequently. Also, the facility is managed very well now with new management company and the boat is put in the water as soon as we arrive and usually before we get a chance to unload the car.
Check out http://www.harilla.org/lease.html
My boat was damaged at Harilla’s at some point, or points, coming on and off the racks. So there is also hazards to rack storage.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
My boat was damaged at Harilla’s at some point, or points, coming on and off the racks. So there is also hazards to rack storage.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yes there is always the possibility of damage with Rack Storage, and not all operators are the same. The guys running operations at Harilla's right now are very good at what they do.... they have been servicing my boat for years.... When was your boat at Harrila's, and do you know whom the management company was running it. Where you there before the new storgage building?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
So if you come up 93, and presumable come in 104.... Besides Sheps, as they aren't renewing your lease, check with Y-landing, Meredith Marine, Thurstons, and Winnisquam marine (formerly Channel)..... They are going to be your closet bets to what you are used too.....

Quayside, will add another 20 mins of car time, and probably about that of boating time over you current situation....

MVYC, Fays, and Silver Sands are also other alternatives, as have been mentioned, and coming out of Manchester, you might find a better driving route.

I would not consider Harilla's landing, as was mentioned, the car drive time would be 30 mins longer, and to make the boat ride short you would have to cross the broads.... however you could make a longer boat ride when in rough weather, by going down through the six pack, under the bridge, cross the borads at that end and scoot over behind bear passing by Sheps.... over Harilla's for you location, just doesn't make sense....

While in one of your posts, you mentioned valet service hadn't worked out in the past, it is likely your most economical alternative, and likely you best chance for being ensured a spot.... Not all Valet services are the same. Harilla's with the current management company is great I know plenty fo satisfied members..... I have also heard good things about Fay's valet service......
uschisk (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #20
uschisk

Thank you very much for the advice! I will just be calling around and trying to see what I can fine. Valet service didn’t work for us not because of the service, just because of the need to know a few hours ahead or certainly before closing time when you’re going to need the boat, sudden changes in our plans or our kids plans, it was all on us - We just needed more flexibility than valet can offer.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
rick35

You might consider trailering a boat. We trailer an 18 footer to get to the island and keep a 21 footer at the dock. Finding a slip will be difficult and if you do find one it will probably be on the wrong side of the lake.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Dave's

Another option is to try Dave's Motorboat Shoppe in Gilford. He has a large field area at his place and I believe if your trailering you may be able to rent a spot there for the season. You would have to do your own launch and retrieve as he offers no valet service but he is very close to Fays who has a boat ramp as well as Silver Sands.

FWIW;

Dan
Old 11-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #23
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
You might consider trailering a boat. We trailer an 18 footer to get to the island and keep a 21 footer at the dock. Finding a slip will be difficult and if you do find one it will probably be on the wrong side of the lake.
Indeed there's more than one of us that do that.

Not for everyone though there are days it really is a pain. Enough for me to spring for a valet or slip? Heck no!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #24
Descant

Default MVYC accommodates islanders

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice! I will just be calling around and trying to see what I can fine. Valet service didn’t work for us not because of the service, just because of the need to know a few hours ahead or certainly before closing time when you’re going to need the boat, sudden changes in our plans or our kids plans, it was all on us - We just needed more flexibility than valet can offer.
MVYC valet is accommodating to islanders
Not all valet operate the same way. If you want to run errands or go to dinner, they just leave the boat in the water. If you leave Sunday night for the week, you leave it at the dock and they store it the next morning. One hour notice for launch. Lots of nearby parking for guests. I have no idea about availability. Call Carol at Irwin Marine, 524-6661.
Many Gilford islanders like Fay's and some rely on Glendale and don't have a summer slip. There may be some turnover and availability at Glendale Yacht Club and Gilford Yacht Club, both in Smith's Cove.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
Cal Coon

Quote:
No issues parking the truck and trailer over night? I know it's not allowed everywhere...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #26
Barney Bear

Default Private Docks

I believe there are folks that rent space on their own docks. 🐻
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #27
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So if you come up 93, and presumable come in 104.... Besides Sheps, as they aren't renewing your lease, check with Y-landing, Meredith Marine, Thurstons, and Winnisquam marine (formerly Channel)..... They are going to be your closet bets to what you are used too.....

Quayside, will add another 20 mins of car time, and probably about that of boating time over you current situation....

MVYC, Fays, and Silver Sands are also other alternatives, as have been mentioned, and coming out of Manchester, you might find a better driving route.

I would not consider Harilla's landing, as was mentioned, the car drive time would be 30 mins longer, and to make the boat ride short you would have to cross the broads.... however you could make a longer boat ride when in rough weather, by going down through the six pack, under the bridge, cross the borads at that end and scoot over behind bear passing by Sheps.... over Harilla's for you location, just doesn't make sense....

While in one of your posts, you mentioned valet service hadn't worked out in the past, it is likely your most economical alternative, and likely you best chance for being ensured a spot.... Not all Valet services are the same. Harilla's with the current management company is great I know plenty fo satisfied members..... I have also heard good things about Fay's valet service......
LIforrelaxin - I'm only 4 years on the lake and still learning place names and such on the water. You say - "going down through the six pack". What precisely are you referring to here? The only six packs I'm aware of are the ones I enjoy consuming and the ones I don't have because I enjoy consuming. Thanks for schooling me.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #28
kawishiwi

Default East of Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
LIforrelaxin - I'm only 4 years on the lake and still learning place names and such on the water. You say - "going down through the six pack". What precisely are you referring to here? The only six packs I'm aware of are the ones I enjoy consuming and the ones I don't have because I enjoy consuming. Thanks for schooling me.
There are 3 sequential pairs of black & red buoys just off the easternmost point of Long Island, known as "the six pack"
LIforrelaxin (11-13-2019), Winilyme (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #29
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
No issues parking the truck and trailer over night? I know it's not allowed everywhere...
Trailer parking can be complicated. I don’t know what options exist in Glendale for Gilford residents and if Meredith permits the Cattle Landing lot Mark and Mink folks will have have to park there.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #30
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
You say - "going down through the six pack". What precisely are you referring to here?
Here's a video I took going through the six pack. If you look closely you'll see 3 black markers to port and 3 red markers to starboard.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #31
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Trailer parking can be complicated. I don’t know what options exist in Glendale for Gilford residents and if Meredith permits the Cattle Landing lot Mark and Mink folks will have have to park there.
This is true especially with ongoing discussion of turning some of that parking space into "resident" only. We shall see how that all pans out - clearly the town of Meredith is looking at various options to address the parking situation at both Sheps and Cattle especially since it can be challenging during prime season.

Not sure there really is a good answer unless there is an increase in available parking. The supply at times falls short of demand.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #32
Winilyme

Default This video already has me dreaming about next May

Thanks kawishiwi and webmaster. I know exactly where those are - was through there numerous time on my ski this past summer. Just never heard the markers being called 'x packs'. You learn something new everyday. As for your video...webmaster - did you just happen to have this very specific one or do you 'collect' similar videos from all over the lake?
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #33
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
As for your video...webmaster - did you just happen to have this very specific one or do you 'collect' similar videos from all over the lake?
I shot that video in 2010. During that period I shot short videos of many landmarks and boat rides on the lake for use on this site. If you check my Youtube channel you'll see videos going under various bridges and through some passageways like Sally's Gut and the Hole in the Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lakewinnipesaukee/videos
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-14-2019), erick26 (03-24-2020), Hillcountry (11-14-2019), moose tracks (11-14-2019), pondguy (11-14-2019), Winilyme (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:23 PM   #34
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I shot that video in 2010. During that period I shot short videos of many landmarks and boat rides on the lake for use on this site. If you check my Youtube channel you'll see videos going under various bridges and through some passageways like Sally's Gut and the Hole in the Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lakewinnipesaukee/videos
I can’t wait to see the collection of videos. Wonderful subjects!
Thank you so much.
Sue
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
erick26 (03-24-2020)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #35
MikeF-NH

OP...maybe consider West Alton Marina. Its a large and protected marina and its adding to its amenities with a pool and clubhouse along with existing store, bathrooms and laundry. They are also expanding their slip count so some of those should come onto the market soon.

The other positive is it will cut your car drive from Manchester as you can now take the Tilton exit or just take Rt 28 all the way.

The negative is its a substantial boat ride up the west side of the Broads especially through some of the heaviest used waters on the lake to get to Mark which you will particularly regret during heavier wind and heavy traffic days. Careful planning on departure time and weather watching can mitigate these and make it a better choice.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Default ..... a whole parking lot of boats?

Just as a side issue here, it sure looks like the new owners at Shep Brown's have a lot of boats, boats all over the place, and parked in many parking spaces at the Lovejoy Sands, 31 Lovejoy Sands Rd, Town of Meredith, paved asphalt parking lot and boat launch.

Looks to be a dozen customer owned boats on trailers with shrink wrap and license plates from Massachusetts, Maine, and Texas, or having no trailer plate.

Is this a case of 'while the cats away, the mice shall play', and the marina just decided to use all the empty parking spaces because the boats have to go somewhere, or did the marina actually get the ok from the town to park them in the town lot?

This is something new, this year, and didn't happen with the prior owner? Maybe the Town of Meredith could purchase and re-use those old, retired 25-cent/15-minute parking meters from the City of Boston?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-17-2019 at 09:20 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #37
rick35

Default “Marina Operations”

Going back to the original post did they say what that means? There was a comment about rental activity but was that the reason they provided? With all those new boats I would think a new owner will need a slip. Are you getting bumped so someone else has a place to keep their new boat? Is Sales considered “marina operations”?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #38
MikeF-NH

parking has become a huge problem at Sheps. There seem to be many long term trailer parkings in the upper lot and the lower lot is almost always full in early season. This began when the ramp become free so maybe its just more people launch there now that they can save $20...I was just shocked how crazy that place is coincidentally when launching became free.

Obviously Sheps won't invest any funds to improving parking (even though that also benefits their customers...a little. Since the town no longer draws revenue...I can see why they wouldn't pay to expand parking. Like other launches on the lake...it is becoming unusable after 9AM on weekends.

Now with slips disappearing...there will be an increased need for parking trailers etc by the island residents. I'm not sure what agency would be willing to bear the burden of another parking lot on the north side of Lovejoy Sands Rd.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #39
Patofnaud

Quote:
Going back to the original post did they say what that means? There was a comment about rental activity but was that the reason they provided? With all those new boats I would think a new owner will need a slip. Are you getting bumped so someone else has a place to keep their new boat? Is Sales considered “marina operations”?
My guess, like WoW did when it canceled slips, was to start floating more rentals. Marina's make a lot more money on rentals than they do on slip leases and folks who rent like having them in the water when they show up with their big gold card and not having to wait for the fork truck to slash it. Business is all. Rentals are big now.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #40
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

This is just speculation but it may have to do with sales. Many boat dealers on the lake are losing sales because people won't buy without a slip, and slips are like gold now. That was true in 2019 and I assume that 2020 will be no different

There is very little annual turnover and the sale and rental prices for slips are on the rise. Making more slips available may help dealers close more boat sales.

It may become the new normal that a dealer sells you a boat and rents you a slip and after one year tells you the slip is no longer available so that they can make room for next years sales.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
erick26 (03-24-2020)
Old 11-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #41
Descant

Default Slips and sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
This is just speculation but it may have to do with sales. Many boat dealers on the lake are losing sales because people won't buy without a slip, and slips are like gold now. That was true in 2019 and I assume that 2020 will be no different

There is very little annual turnover and the sale and rental prices for slips are on the rise. Making more slips available may help dealers close more boat sales.

It may become the new normal that a dealer sells you a boat and rents you a slip and after one year tells you the slip is no longer available so that they can make room for next years sales.
I agree that, especially for boats that are too big for valet, slip availability may make or break the sale. We may reach that point with valet in some areas. Other lakes will have to pick up the slack where there really isn't a lot of commercial marina activity right now compared to Winnipesaukee. One thing that keeps the turnover viable is that used freshwater boats are in demand on the ocean where things are not as crowded yet. Perhaps we will see slips being rented at a premium for a week or two instead of by the year or season? Same for more boat club type ownership. Launch ramps for trailer boats already seem to be saturated. Where the state Fish and Game folks are trying to build new launch facilities, there is significant push back from locals. Witness Sunapee and Squam. Too bad that when zoning started in the 60's, towns just made all shorefront residential and did'n't add some commercial or mixed use.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #42
radioman

Default Shep Browns

And then there is the issue of 3Mi Island traffic.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #43
P-3 Guy

Default Lovejoy Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
And then there is the issue of 3Mi Island traffic.
What is the issue?
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #44
P-3 Guy

Default Lovejoy Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
parking has become a huge problem at Sheps. There seem to be many long term trailer parkings in the upper lot and the lower lot is almost always full in early season. This began when the ramp become free so maybe its just more people launch there now that they can save $20...I was just shocked how crazy that place is coincidentally when launching became free.
Parking has been a big problem at Lovejoy Landing for a long time: when the town was collecting a launch fee, before there was a launch fee, and obviously now during the summer season.

Quote:
Obviously Sheps won't invest any funds to improving parking (even though that also benefits their customers...a little. Since the town no longer draws revenue...I can see why they wouldn't pay to expand parking. Like other launches on the lake...it is becoming unusable after 9AM on weekends.
Without a zoning variance or some kind of deal with the town, Sheps has no option to expand parking on land owned by the business, even if they were willing to spend the dollars to do so. They have already maxed out the allowable lot coverage (30%, I believe, in the Shoreline district).

Quote:
Now with slips disappearing...there will be an increased need for parking trailers etc by the island residents. I'm not sure what agency would be willing to bear the burden of another parking lot on the north side of Lovejoy Sands Rd.
Last I knew, the vacant land on the north side of Lovejoy Sands Road is owned by Sheps, and as noted above, current zoning regulations do not allow the business to improve any more of their undeveloped land.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #45
radioman

Default Lovejoy Landing

Tmi Guy, I suspect that you know exactly what i meant. Ask around.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #46
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Tmi Guy, I suspect that you know exactly what i meant. Ask around.
Nope; I don't know what you mean. I'm not in the Lakes Region right now, so it's hard for me to ask around, and besides, summer people who experience summer problems are long gone. If there's an issue, it should be addressed without delay. It's much better if neighbors talk things out and work together instead of letting problems, whether real or perceived, fester.

If you prefer not to discuss the issue on an open forum, I ask that you please at least send me a private message. Putting it out here on the forum that there is an issue regarding Three Mile Island traffic and then declining to explain to what you are referring doesn't do anyone any good.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #47
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
Nope; I don't know what you mean. I'm not in the Lakes Region right now, so it's hard for me to ask around, and besides, summer people who experience summer problems are long gone. If there's an issue, it should be addressed without delay. It's much better if neighbors talk things out and work together instead of letting problems, whether real or perceived, fester.

If you prefer not to discuss the issue on an open forum, I ask that you please at least send me a private message. Putting it out here on the forum that there is an issue regarding Three Mile Island traffic and then declining to explain to what you are referring doesn't do anyone any good.
Agreed. Come on radioman, I thought you didn't play games... (cough, cough)
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #48
radioman

Default Shep Browns

Cal, Give me a call @ 603-707-6522 lots to say.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #49
rick35

Quote:
This is awkward. I get ticked with the TMI people when they park in the lower lot and when they block access to the dock but this sounds devious. But I remember how it used to be and I appreciate that they have their own lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #50
radioman

Default shep browns

Rick. yes this is a part of the issue
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #51
bilproject

Default Who is to Blame for the lack of waterfront facilities in Meredith?

This thread has taken a right turn from where it started which was a boat slip rental being cancelled. That being said, I would like to respond to the parking situation at Lovejoy Sands since I have spent most of the last year working on the issue for the Meredith Island Association.
First, the problem of parking at this location rests squarely on the shoulders of the Town of Meredith. No facilities that serve the islands have been improved over the last 35 years (new dock at Cattle Landing was a step backward). In the same time the town docks and parking were expanded and improved, a new police station built, and new community center built, now a new 7 million dollar public works building, and a renovation of the library soon to come. All funded by waterfront properties that are mostly seasonal and contribute about 40% of the Meredith tax revenue while causing almost no expenses to the town. I would submit that Meredith would look a lot different if were not for taxes collected from non-residents. Yet when it comes to improving waterfront facilities other than the town docks they cry poverty. A bit of a thumb in the eye don't you think. The town's fire boat has been out of service since early July due to a blown motor and the town could not find the money to repair it. They did however, find 35K to buy a used Parker that is called the Police boat but is primarily used to ferry the tax assessor and code enforcement office to the islands. You can see where the priorities are.
Second, the town facilities are public. This means that everyone including a tourist from Greenland has the right to use them on a first come first served basis. Thirty five years ago many families only owned one car and the typical lake boat was 20 feet or less long. Today we are more than likely to have one car for each driver in the family and we have 26' pontoons with an 8'4" beam. None of the current facilities were designed to handle todays situation.
Third, we can identify areas that we as users can possibly make the situation better until permanent solutions are found. AMC has done a good job at mitigating their contribution to the problem by purchasing and improving a piece of land into a parking facility for their members. They put into their rental packets instructions to park in their lot if space is available. I don't know if they canvas their guests to see if they followed the instructions, but if not that is possibly something they could do. We island residents who have slip parking could also have guests park in one of the downtown lots and pick them up there by car when we have large numbers of guests say on the 4th of July. We can also encourage our guest to bring the minimum number of vehicles to the lake particularly on the weekends.
The Meredith Island Association has identified vacant land the town could pursue that would increase available parking by about 3.5 acres. Is it as close to the dock as the current parking? No but it would make a great trailer and truck lot with the current trailer lot becoming car parking only. We have also discussed a resident permit parking only for cattle landing with possible future application to Lovejoy Sands if successful. Many spots are now taken up by Gilford property owners on Mark and Mink Islands. The association also supports the town moving forward with the engineer's recommendations on the parking lot and dock at Cattle Landing and the Docks at Lovejoy Sands. Rather than support an 8.5 million dollar parking garage we have encouraged them to pursue additional surface parking. When the parking garage and town dock niceties are removed from the engineer's proposals the price tag comes down to under 3 million. While this is a lot of money, had the town treated island taxpayers equally with residents it would have only cost $85,000 per year over the last 35 years. That's less than 10% of the tax dollars the town receives from unbridged island properties each year, and island residents are not the only ones using the facilities. Remember they are public.
To conclude, we need blame only one entity for the current situation and that entity is the Town of Meredith. So write the town manager and selectmen and express your anger over the current situation and ask them what they intend to do. They have a plan before them. If they were to support it with as much conviction as they did the police station, community center and public works building I am sure the town's residents would pass budgets to fund the improvements.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilproject For This Useful Post:
Descant (11-19-2019), missmybid (11-21-2019), rick35 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #52
radioman

Default Shep Browns

So well said, Thank you
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #53
fatlazyless

Default ...... Meredith is the greatest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
... since I have spent most of the last year working on the issue for the Meredith Island Association.
The Town of Meredith could possibly raise some revenue from cars and trailers parked at Lovejoy Sands and Cattle Landing parking lots by installing parking meters. Believe the City of Boston has many old, retired parking meters, charging 25-cents/15-minutes and are available.

Here's suggesting the Town of Meredith eventually purchase and conserve the beautiful, heavily wooded, 100-acre Camp Monotomy property into a community forest and community waterfront-swim/small boating area with NO motors allowed at the Camp Monotomy scenic waterfront, somewhat similar to the new Page Pond Community Forest.

What the Town of Meredith has built and created with their old historic Benjamin Smith library, their new police station, their new fire station, and their new community center is town money very, very well spent so three cheers for Meredith for their excellent library, police, fire, and community public buildings ...... hut-hut-hut-hut!

….. and, ditto all these sentiments for the new Meredith DPW facility …… so that's one more …… hut!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #54
Cal Coon

Quote:
Glad we talked, radioman. Thanks again for your time.