Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 1,625 Times in 642 Posts
Default Sandy Point Going Condo!

It looks like Sandy Point Resort will be sold to condo developers. The price is in the $10 million range.

The potential buyers are doing their due diligence now but there should be a closing before the end of the year.

At one time there were 77 units there but it looks like in condo form there will be about 36 units, with docks. There is over 2,000 feet of lake frontage.

One concern is whether to rehab existing units or build new on the existing footprints. Another concern is the septic system is located across the street so it requires a pump system. But, without town sewer that is better than having the system on the lake side of the street.

At one time the price would seem crazy but with the current real estate market maybe it isn't that out of whack!

Last edited by TiltonBB; 05-04-2021 at 06:35 AM.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
MotorHead

Do they build houses anymore ?
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
joey2665

Based on the the asking price for the units at Bartonís Motel. The developers have a chance to make a very nice dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
Biggd

Thumbs up

I use to own a cottage directly across the bay from Sandy Point back in the late 70's. Alton Bay has changed so much.
This run up in prices will probably put the nail in the coffin for the rest of the motel style rentals.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I use to own a cottage directly across the bay from Sandy Point back in the late 70's. Alton Bay has changed so much.
This run up in prices will probably put the nail in the coffin for the rest of the motel style rentals.
There's no money in motel style rentals...
swnoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,733 Times in 958 Posts
Default One other problem.

One other problem: Sandy Point is on seasonal town water. I believe the water is turned off from around Oct to April. Water lines can be found actually above ground in the vicinity of Sandy Point.

Dave
Old 05-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
There's no money in motel style rentals...
I know that but there still are a few left and now these motel owners will be cashing in.
The area is changing, more people are making it their home.
The resort feel of years ago is fading fast.
I have fond memories of camping at the track on motorcycle weekend and then a few years later moving up to the luxury digs of a 10x10 rental cabin, LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Alton Bay (05-11-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
camp guy

Default Sandy Point going Condo

I am not an Alton Bay resident, but I certainly hope the local government has strong planning ordinances to address what is obviously a questionable septic system.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
barefootbay

Donít understand how Alton has managed to avoid a sewer system with over 20 miles of heavily populated lake shore frontage. More and more of it is becoming 3 and 4 season residences as well.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Internet driving directions say it is 9.3-miles from Sandy Point, Alton, going up Route 11 to Lake Shore Park in Gilford, next to Ellacoya State Park.

Lake Shore/Ellacoya has that very prominent septic pumping station shed so why not run a septic line from Sandy Point, 9.3-miles, to Lake Shore/Ellacoya!

That was easy! ....

With a regional sewer hook-up like that, Sandy Point in Alton could have more densely built condos, similar to Christmas Island, Laconia, or Lake Shore Park, Gilford.
Rich or poor, the #1 thing is your health.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I am not an Alton Bay resident, but I certainly hope the local government has strong planning ordinances to address what is obviously a questionable septic system.
This could definitely be an issue! Does anyone know if the now vacant Sandy Point Restaurant is tied into the same system?
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
Rinkerguy

From what I understand, everything on the property is tied to the same septic, with tanks throughout the property, pumping to a leach field across the street.
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,066 Times in 666 Posts

If the number of units goes from 77 down to 36, the septic may be able to handle the reduced load. Docks around the lake are selling for $100K in 24-48 hours. Attach a nice condo and sales for $400K should be no problem. This will be interesting to follow. Thanks to folks like Upthesaukee for keeping us up to date.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (05-28-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #14
Rinkerguy

The 72 unit number would include all the hotel rooms in their original configuration. It will be interesting to see what the plans are for the property, existing structures, utilities and docks. Certainly a lot of potential there for a developer. Just going to be a matter of what the town will permit.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
ghfromaltonbay

Default Few motel units at Sandy Point

Sandy Point cottages went seasonal back in the 1980's. There are about 35 cottages all leased by the season. The Hillside motel was changed from 8 rooms to 4 two room efficiencies and they are also seasonal leases. Same thing with the unit below which was converted from 6 rooms to 3 seasonal efficiency units. The only actual motel units rented out weekly or overnight are the 12 rooms at the top of hill in the Scenic motel, and the 6 units on the beach which are also converted efficiencies which had originally been 10 one room units. Right now that makes about 53 units, no longer 77. Uppy is correct, the water is town water and is shut off from mid October to mid April as the water supply runs above ground at the bridge 1/ 2 east on Rt 11. Only the owner's residence has a well. All the cottages share septic systems which are pumped across the road to the leach field across from the restaurant building which is also on the shared system.

The condos being built at Barton's are a different story. There they have city sewers and year round water. Sandy Point is a little more rustic and I am sure the 1940's era shared septic and seasonal water will be an issue.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #16
root1

Cool

Ha! Just wait till the NH DOT learns of this. If the the rentals/restaurant facilities in the front (the buildings on Rt. 11) get torn down, the DOT will want their right-of-way back. That'll seriously cut into the developer's profit margin! Nothin's easy!
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
Ha! Just wait till the NH DOT learns of this. If the the rentals/restaurant facilities in the front (the buildings on Rt. 11) get torn down, the DOT will want their right-of-way back. That'll seriously cut into the developer's profit margin! Nothin's easy!
Are you talking about the old Railroad right of way?
Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
ghfromaltonbay

Default Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
I remember hearing that the last room or 2 of the upper motel is within the ROW. I believe the ROW is 50 feet on either side of the center line of Route 11. Not sure if the restaurant building is also within the ROW as well as the 3 cottages below the embankment just east of the Sandy Point entrance.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Default Railroad Right of Way

Gilford residence learned early on the state never left the right of way. In fact the Winnipesaukee Basin uses the right of way for the sewage pipe. They ran out of money before Ames Farm. There are still plans to continue the sewage all the way to Alton. Not sure if they will get funded, but I'm sure once they start testing the waters it will continue.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,119 Times in 764 Posts

The problem with extending the sewer is that the last I knew Franklin was at capacity if not over. Now maybe it has since been expanded if that is possible and I am not sure it is.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #21
root1

Ugh ... I forgot about the leaching field/parking lot across the street. That's definitely in the DOT ROW; the developers can kiss that goodbye. Sigh .....
Life, in some ways, was better when the railroad was there; instead of a state highway!
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
camp guy

Default Sandy Point Condo

Having read all these posts, and seen the different little tidbits of information, this project looks to me to be something which will keep lawyers and surveyors busy for long time. Sandy Point is geographically a very sensitive area, and it would be a real shame if technicalities became the deciding issues with respect to development.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
Rinkerguy

It will be an interesting to see what Alton will allow a developer to do with the property, if the sale even goes through. The tax implications for the town could be quite significant if a condo project is approved.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #24
Heaven

It will be interesting to see how DES Shorefront permitting looks at the change from seasonal to year-round development.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #25
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
It will be interesting to see how DES Shorefront permitting looks at the change from seasonal to year-round development.
But will they look at an existing structure?

Or at what point of refurbishments do they kick in DES Shorefront regulations?
Old 05-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #26
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
But will they look at an existing structure?

Or at what point of refurbishments do they kick in DES Shorefront regulations?
Last I experienced, seasonal to year round was a big deal for them.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #27
XCR-700

Seems like a shame to add more condos, Is there really a shortage of condos on Winnipesaukee???

Sandy Point going condo just shuts out visitors even more from getting a really nice lake experience.

I think a nice hotel/inn would so much more interesting. There are so few places to point people to where they can stay in a really modern/clean/nice hotel on the water.

I suppose the seasonal nature of the region makes an upscale resort not too likely, probably not profitable enough in the modern world.

As a kid there were so many nice family oriented but clean/nice and affordable places to stay on the lake. Now its all privately owned and prices are easily exceeding most peoples primary homes. Totally flip flopped from my childhood when Winnipesaukee waterfront homes with beach and dock were less than half the cost of peoples primary homes.

Progress, I guess,,,
XCR-700 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-29-2021), FlyingScot (05-29-2021), map (06-21-2021), Waterbaby (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #28
Descant

Thanked 1,066 Times in 666 Posts
Default Progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Seems like a shame to add more condos, Is there really a shortage of condos on Winnipesaukee???

Sandy Point going condo just shuts out visitors even more from getting a really nice lake experience.

I think a nice hotel/inn would so much more interesting. There are so few places to point people to where they can stay in a really modern/clean/nice hotel on the water.

I suppose the seasonal nature of the region makes an upscale resort not too likely, probably not profitable enough in the modern world.

As a kid there were so many nice family oriented but clean/nice and affordable places to stay on the lake. Now its all privately owned and prices are easily exceeding most peoples primary homes. Totally flip flopped from my childhood when Winnipesaukee waterfront homes with beach and dock were less than half the cost of peoples primary homes.

Progress, I guess,,,
Reading through the "Summer Staffing" thread, there are many reasons why running a hotel as you describe, is more rare these days. Nevertheless, you can rent many of these condos on VRBO, but usually not for just one night.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:17 AM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Reading through the "Summer Staffing" thread, there are many reasons why running a hotel as you describe, is more rare these days. Nevertheless, you can rent many of these condos on VRBO, but usually not for just one night.
Im sure you are correct, but staying in a rented condo is not at all the same as a resort.

Clearly there are differences and for many there is still a preference for the hotel/resort over other options.

Not much we can do about it, what happens to Sandy Point is a private matter. I'm just a guy remembering what was very fondly and finding I'm far less happy with what is. I suppose it happens to each generation as we age. For me, the best I saw of Winnipesaukee probably ended in the early 70's and will not be seen again. Hard to forget playing pinball in the old game room on the lower level of Sandy Point, and going down to Downings Landing and that marvelous smell of the old marine gas and 2-cycle oil,,, or maybe the old donut shop next to the mini golf, or the old roller skating pavilion. I'm sure many people will have very different experiences and preferences.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
map (06-21-2021), subaruliving (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:51 AM   #30
Reilly

Default Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If the number of units goes from 77 down to 36, the septic may be able to handle the reduced load. Docks around the lake are selling for $100K in 24-48 hours. Attach a nice condo and sales for $400K should be no problem. This will be interesting to follow. Thanks to folks like Upthesaukee for keeping us up to date.
at 36 units they will have to sell in the $700 k to$800 k for any profit
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #31
WinnisquamZ

Keep in mind the new Condos on paugus bay are selling for well over 800k and only share a day dock

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #32
knowit

This is all going to end very badly. Not sure why these idiots that are over paying for all of these properties don't see it. I saw this exact thing happen in Florida. two years later mass foreclosures and fire sale prices. People that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. House across from me sold for $625K less than 2 years ago. Last month sold for $825K. Is it worth it? NO. The people getting hurt by all this craziness are the locals that can't afford to live here anymore. Hang tight folks and bank your money. The next realestate crash is coming. Be ready then. I will be.
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knowit For This Useful Post:
map (06-21-2021), XCR-700 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #33
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Keep in mind the new Condos on paugus bay are selling for well over 800k and only share a day dock

Agreed, if this happens, I see million dollar plus selling prices. Most especially on the south end of the lake.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowit View Post
This is all going to end very badly. Not sure why these idiots that are over paying for all of these properties don't see it. I saw this exact thing happen in Florida. two years later mass foreclosures and fire sale prices. People that don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. House across from me sold for $625K less than 2 years ago. Last month sold for $825K. Is it worth it? NO. The people getting hurt by all this craziness are the locals that can't afford to live here anymore. Hang tight folks and bank your money. The next realestate crash is coming. Be ready then. I will be.
The biggest difference I see today is a lot of properties are selling for cash, no mortgage means no foreclosure. So unless we see a major recession I don't see it any time soon but I do think the market will slow down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Heaven (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #35
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
So unless we see a major recession I don't see it any time soon but I do think the market will slow down.
Back in 2004 2005 advise was to purchase any real estate as price will go up 10% -30%. Buy. Buy. Buy.

Then, much hit bottom.

Hmmm . . . .
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #36
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Back in 2004 2005 advise was to purchase any real estate as price will go up 10% -30%. Buy. Buy. Buy.

Then, much hit bottom.

Hmmm . . . .
Just think if you purchased in 2005 and held til now. You could be up 80-100%. Real estate should almost always be thought of as a long term investment unless your in the business of flipping homes. You would be hard to find real estate that decreased in value if it’s held for at least 5 years.

joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #37
ghfromaltonbay

Default Smaller footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

Big difference is the Paugus Bay townhouses are a good size. If the Sandy Point units have to be built on the original footprints, they will be a lot smaller. There may only be 36 units planned, but if they are year round and occupied longer, the septic may have to be totally redesigned and enlarged. Right now Sandy Point is really only busy on the weekends. Most of the leasees work during the week and use the camps for vacations and weekends. The Paugus Bay units have city water & sewers. Sandy Point has 1940's era septic and seasonal town water. The cottages are not insulated and have 1940's wiring as well. I would think besides the cost to buy, another $5M would be needed to improve the property. That is provided the town and DES allow what the developer has planned.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
DRH (05-30-2021), Heaven (05-30-2021), trfour (05-30-2021), XCR-700 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #38
WinnisquamZ

The Paugus Bay units are all garden style units. Yes they have access to city water and sewer, but they are on Union Ave. Traffic year round.

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #39
Rinkerguy

If they are talking about trying to convert the current cabins to 2 story condos on their current footprint, I canít see how they would be marketable. Your talking about $800 - 1000 sq ft. maybe, depending how the stairs layout for in excess of $500-$600K. It will be challenging to get those they DES and town regulations, but wish them luck.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #40
ghfromaltonbay

Default Way too much $$$

These same developers rebuilt an 8 unit colony on the Center Harbor/Moultonborough town line. The 2 story condos are either 2 or 3 bedroom units, the smaller ones having only 650 square feet! Along with a 25 foot dock, these units were priced from $639K to $695K. Hard to believe, but people actually paid those outrageous amounts. They are all under agreement. Here is the 650 sq footer that sold for $639K. I guess people have money to burn. I don't know if a bank would even give a mortgage for a small place like that on a platform. Is it worth it? Google "14 Lake Shore Drive. Moultonborough" to see these units. Again, there are only 8 units here while the proposal is for 36 units at Sandy Point. Add the state ROW issues along Route 11, and that complicates things.
Attached Images

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 06-20-2021 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Typo