Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Coywolf show on PBS tonight.

Just watched a pretty good show on the up and coming Coywolf. Tells the story of the joining of the Coyote and Wolf breeds and how they are expanding their territory from way up in Canada all the way down into New York City and Central Park. Beautiful animals. The show will be airing again. Here is the schedule for MPBN out of Maine. At least this is the schedule the website is showing.

01/23/14, 1:00 am MPBN-HD
01/23/14, 1:00 am MPBN-SD
01/24/14, 5:00 am MPBN-HD
01/24/14, 5:00 am MPBN-SD
01/26/14, 10:30 am MPBN-HD
01/26/14, 10:30 am MPBN-SD
01/26/14, 8:00 pm WORLD
01/27/14, 12:00 am WORLD
01/27/14, 8:00 am WORLD
01/27/14, 2:00 pm WORLD - See more at: http://pw.myersinfosys.com/mpbc/hour....llawUEUJ.dpuf

Nature
Meet The Coywolf #3104

Wednesday, January 22, 08:00 pm on MPBN-HD

Duration: 0:56:46

Description: The coywolf, a mixture of western coyote and eastern wolf, is a remarkable new hybrid carnivore that is taking over territories once roamed by wolves and slipping unnoticed into our cities. Its appearance is very recent -- within the last 90 years -- in evolutionary terms, a blip in time. Beginning in Canada but by no means ending there, the story of how it came to be is an extraordinary tale of how quickly adaptation and evolution can occur, especially when humans interfere. Tag along as scientists study this new top predator, tracking it from the wilderness of Ontario's Algonquin Park, through parking lots, alleys and backyards in Toronto all the way to the streets of New York City. collapse expanded text

[HD][CC]

View Additional Airings

Broadcast In: English

- See more at: http://pw.myersinfosys.com/mpbc/hour....llawUEUJ.dpuf
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Very good show.

They are interesting animals to say the least.

While stationed at Mt. Home AFB in Idaho, I would take my dog for a walk out in the sagebrush desert area, always on the look out for snakes.

After about two months of doing this, and never seeing a snake (thank God!!!), I did catch some movement out of the corner of my eye. Dog was on a leash. It took a bit, and then discovered I (we) were being followed by a coyote. I thought by a coyote. Then I saw more movement. It ended up being 3 coyotes.

This was back in 1972-73, and although I continued to walk in the desert, I was certainly more aware of the coyotes in the neighborhood. Never heard of any attacks on pets while we were stationed there, but then again I wouldn't leave my dog outside on the chain (couldn't let them run loose) as I didn't want to have the first dog to become coyote bait.

Amazing to see them in major cities now, and how they adapt to "inner city " life.