Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Fry Shack Face-Off...

Some may recall my previous post from earlier this summer with the Lobster Roll Run-Off. This weekend we ended up doing the Fry Shack Face-Off...

Yesterday, we found ourselves in Moultonborough around lunch time and we realized we hadn't had our grease fix yet this summer, so we hit Red Hill Dairy for some fried clams. There were 3 of us, (wife, son, and me), so we got a pint of whole-belly clams, a large fry, order of onion rings, and 3 large diet cokes. Food came out quickly and was nice and hot. Everything was crispy and quite tasty. Total was about $57. Only "downside" is that they only take cash, (or checks).

Today, we had some errands in Gilford, so my son got the brainstorm to do a fried clam comparison with Sawyers, since that has historically been our fry shack "go-to". We never got to Sawyers last year, but the first thing we noticed when we walked in was the new decor. My wife said, "are we in the Denver Broncos dressing room from the 1970's?" Bright white walls with bright blue trim, bright orange tables, and garishly bright lights that burn your retina, (clear glass fixtures so you see the illuminated filament).

My son got the whole-belly clam roll, which came with fries. My wife and I got a 1/2 pint of whole-belly clams and order of fries, and we each got a diet coke. $60 for everything, so on par with Red Hill on price. Food was very slow in coming out. In fact, 2 groups who ordered after us got their food first. Fries were piping hot, but the clams were barely above room temp. and not crispy...almost soggy. It was if they had come out of the fryolator and had been sitting around for a while. Cole slaw was gross and tartar sauce was sicky sweet. On the plus side, they do take credit cards and they do have a soda fountain for refills.

Hands down, no contest, Red Hill Dairy won the Fry-Shack Face Off...

(I will say parenthetically that it's disappointing Sawyers has gone down hill. We traditionally have gone there once a summer since our kids were little for a fried clam fix...it will be a long time before we try it again)
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Sliding down hill

We are less than 1 mile away from Sawyers. With owners who ran it 10-20 yrs ago, the food was very good, the place was clean and the prices were reasonable. About 8-10 yrs ago it was sold and the quality went down quickly with rising prices. We gave it a few shots and then stopped going there. I had hoped that the recent sale would revive the place. Every review I've seen since the current owners took over has been negative. I guess we will stay away. Fortunately there are plenty of other places in the lakes region for good fried food if that is what you're looking for.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Some may recall my previous post from earlier this summer with the Lobster Roll Run-Off. This weekend we ended up doing the Fry Shack Face-Off...

Yesterday, we found ourselves in Moultonborough around lunch time and we realized we hadn't had our grease fix yet this summer, so we hit Red Hill Dairy for some fried clams. There were 3 of us, (wife, son, and me), so we got a pint of whole-belly clams, a large fry, order of onion rings, and 3 large diet cokes. Food came out quickly and was nice and hot. Everything was crispy and quite tasty. Total was about $57. Only "downside" is that they only take cash, (or checks).

Today, we had some errands in Gilford, so my son got the brainstorm to do a fried clam comparison with Sawyers, since that has historically been our fry shack "go-to". We never got to Sawyers last year, but the first thing we noticed when we walked in was the new decor. My wife said, "are we in the Denver Broncos dressing room from the 1970's?" Bright white walls with bright blue trim, bright orange tables, and garishly bright lights that burn your retina, (clear glass fixtures so you see the illuminated filament).

My son got the whole-belly clam roll, which came with fries. My wife and I got a 1/2 pint of whole-belly clams and order of fries, and we each got a diet coke. $60 for everything, so on par with Red Hill on price. Food was very slow in coming out. In fact, 2 groups who ordered after us got their food first. Fries were piping hot, but the clams were barely above room temp. and not crispy...almost soggy. It was if they had come out of the fryolator and had been sitting around for a while. Cole slaw was gross and tartar sauce was sicky sweet. On the plus side, they do take credit cards and they do have a soda fountain for refills.

Hands down, no contest, Red Hill Dairy won the Fry-Shack Face Off...

(I will say parenthetically that it's disappointing Sawyers has gone down hill. We traditionally have gone there once a summer since our kids were little for a fried clam fix...it will be a long time before we try it again)
Sawyers has had trouble with their fryer all summer. Mother's day they had no fryer at all, I went again and I think it was only fries.
My last straw this summer was I asked for a chocolate ice cream soda (I used to bike 3 miles when I was a kid just to get that and ride back). They asked me what kind of soda I wanted. I told them its an chocolate ice cream soda, what ever you use to make that. They had no clue, I got a frappe.
And the single line and people just calling out the ice cream they had scooped up didn't work, people were getting other peoples cones and no one knew who's was who's.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Fries were piping hot, but the clams were barely above room temp. and not crispy...almost soggy. It was if they had come out of the fryolator and had been sitting around for a while.
As a seasoned professional (just 45 years out of the game, haha)...fries take 10 minutes, clams just 2 minutes. Dopes put them on simultaneously
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-28-2023), SAMIAM (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
Mr. V

I drove by Sawyers many times during the two weeks I spent lakeside in August, and noticed that the volume of customers at Sawyers never approached the high numbers I recall from a couple decades ago.

One can only assume that the locals, aware of the slip in quality, now avoid this place, leaving only clueless tourists to patronize Sawyers.