Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Last Snowstorm of 2007

At 10 p.m. a heavy snow warning goes into effect for the Lakes Region and much of the rest of New Hampshire until noon on Tuesday. The National Weather Service in Gray Maine has upped the forecast totals a couple times today and is now predicting 6 to 10 inches, most of which will fall between midnight and 7 a.m.

At the moment it's a very calm night out there, and we're still awaiting first flakes from this storm. Radar shows it overhead so we're just waiting for it to saturate the air so it can start reaching the ground. With relative humidity at 80%, it shouldn't be too long.

The snowpack stands at 9 inches after a couple days above freezing, and this is the first time since the 15th that it's been below double-digits. There has been a snowpack since the 3rd.

This will be the last snowstorm of 2007, but only because the clock is running out on 2007. The year began very warm and snowless, a continuation of a December that produced severe thunderstorms in the area instead of snowstorms. Now it appears to be ending quite the opposite.

As always, more weather info, forecasts, etc. for the region and elsewhere is at www.blackcatnh.com/weather.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
NHKathy

Default Any updates on accumulations?

Any updates on accumulations from overnight?
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
20mile

Unhappy 1st snow casualty in 20 mile bay

Early this AM a truck slid off the road onto the lake in 20 mile bay.
Attached Images

20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
cursereversed

Default snowstorm

Great picture 20mile!

The numbers i have heard stand around 8 inches in Laconia. I know the forcast is calling for another 5-10 inches tomorrow, so 2008 sounds like it'll start the way 07 is ending.
cursereversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
DRH

Default Lots Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
Any updates on accumulations from overnight?
We got 11" total snowfall overnight and this morning in West Alton, as measured in three places in our driveway.

Hmmm, let's see ... how many "Yukis" would that be?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Resident 2B

Smile Yuki Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
We got 11" total snowfall overnight and this morning in West Alton, as measured in three places in our driveway.

Hmmm, let's see ... how many "Yukis" would that be?
1Y = 7"

11" = 1 4/7 Y (or a bit over 1.5 Y)

Y = Yuki

Happy New Year to All!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Default Not even a Y1 storm here

On Black Cat this morning, we got jipped. 4.5 inches was all I could find in the yard. Heavy wet stuff - "snowman snow". It melted down to 0.31" of liquid, while the NWS's observer in Alton Bay reported over 11 inches of snow with over an inch of liquid. Talk about localization!

Now that's only a portion of a Yuki, but I think good ol' Yuki would like that better - keeps his head above the top of the snow!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
On Black Cat this morning, we got jipped. 4.5 inches was all I could find in the yard. Heavy wet stuff - "snowman snow". It melted down to 0.31" of liquid, while the NWS's observer in Alton Bay reported over 11 inches of snow with over an inch of liquid. Talk about localization!

Now that's only a portion of a Yuki, but I think good ol' Yuki would like that better - keeps his head above the top of the snow!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
jetskier

Default A foot at Gunstock

Quote:

There was a foot of snow on Gunstock last night. We measure the depth in cats. It is about two cats to the foot depending upon how they land.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
secondcurve

CanisLupusArctos:

Your snow totals seem to always be less that what other posters, as well as my own observations, report. Why is this? Is it your location right on the lake or are you measuring differently????
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
hilltopper

I only observed 4.5" at my house in Meredith for the last storm of '07. Like he said, we got jipped!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
CanisLupusArctos

Secondcurve, as a snow-lover I'd rather be measuring snow in feet than inches. But if the scientist in me can only find inches, than I have to report inches. I know what you mean though. I thought something was wrong, but the truth was in the rain gauge's melted equivalent of 0.31 inches. In New England, a 10-inch snowfall usually requires a storm to put out more liquid than that. As hilltopper confirms, we just didn't get much from the storm (while nearby places did - and their melted equivalents of over an inch proved it.) That's what's so fascinating about the weather in this part of New England and the world!

I compare my totals to what other NWS spotters report, since the NWS maintains a standard of measuring. This month I've been on the low end a few times but I've been 'in the ballpark' most often, and even in 'David Ortiz Territory' once or twice. December snow total on the island was 42 inches (equal to the average season total for Boston!)

For the first storm of 2008, we got 7 inches. For the period Dec. 3 to Jan. 3, the total is 49 inches. The season total is now up to 51.1 inches. Woweee! Last season we reached that number on April 4.

On this date last year, the season snow total was 5.3 inches. It would end up at 62.4 inches on April 18 - our last snowfall for the season.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
trfour

Post Record Broken 2007

December's snowfall at Concord, N.H., totaled 44.5 inches, toppling a record of 43 inches that had stood since 1876!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
secondcurve

Thanks CLA. You certainly seem to know your weather so I don't doubt you but there have been some differences. Let's see how the next storm shakes out. Based on the recent rate of storms we will probably have a new snow fall to work with in a couple of days. Stay warm, that will be tonight's challenge!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default location, location, location

Snow fall like real estate and businesses can also depend on location, location, location.

Here in Alton, my house is about 150-200 ft above the lake level, and I have seen more than an inch or two difference between the amount of snow at the bay and at my house.

Also, if you look at the weather radar during a storm, and see where the heavier bands of snow are, you can also see where one area may get inches more snow than others out of the same storm.

That's why we gotta love weather...you just can't really figure it all out all of the time.

And CLA, love the website and your insight into weather. Keep it up.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
DRH

Default Very Close This Time

Quote:
For the first storm of 2008, we got 7 inches.
CLA - I measured 8" in our driveway yesterday morning (Jan. 2) here in West Alton. This time we got about the same as you did there on Black Cat.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
CanisLupusArctos

Thank you for the encouragement. It's been great to be on this forum, see what measurements should be questioned for accuracy's sake, and especially learn - I've picked up a lot of useful tidbits by following the reasoning of people like R2B and Rose.

As we all continue to study this lake's weather we'd probably all become more and more fascinated by the localized (and noticeable!) differences. We all know it can be very different on the lake than in the surrounding area thanks to all this water and also the open space it creates. As if those weren't enough to challenge a meteorologist, we have mountains right on the shoreline. I love these most recent postings regarding elevation differences.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Merrymeeting

I have a temperature reading taken at my dock during the summer, and just outside my porch which is about 75' from and about 20' above water level. I'm always amazed at the different readings over just this small area!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Resident 2B

Quote:

I've picked up a lot of useful tidbits by following the reasoning of people like R2B and Rose.
CLA,

I am sure I have learned more from you than you have from me. Your "local knowledge" is top notch and you use this to forecast with excellent results.

I addition, you have built an outstanding web site that I visit at least once a day. Having accurate current conditions from the northern part of the lake is very important to many of us.

Rose has also been a great resource for information and she is "deadly" accurate with her forecasting in the lakes area.

Keep up the great work!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
Rose

Default It's your fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
CLA,

I am sure I have learned more from you than you have from me. Your "local knowledge" is top notch and you use this to forecast with excellent results.

I addition, you have built an outstanding web site that I visit at least once a day. Having accurate current conditions from the northern part of the lake is very important to many of us.

Rose has also been a great resource for information and she is "deadly" accurate with her forecasting in the lakes area.

Keep up the great work!

R2B
Thank you both for the kind words. Both of you, with the aid of Skip and SteveA (how can anyone resist forecasting in Yuki units?) have reignited by forecasting bug, so you'll just have to take credit for my participation.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
CLA,

you have built an outstanding web site that I visit at least once a day. Having accurate current conditions from the northern part of the lake is very important to many of us.

R2B
Thank you, again. I have read your technical discussions with great interest, then check the models, look for what you wrote about, and see something I wasn't seeing before. Must mean that Don has created something better than he knows - in this forum we're all learning from each other.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 01-08-2008 at 12:10 AM.