Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Bike Week

In between boating on the lake and working around the house, I jumped on the old iron horse and headed to the Weirs both Saturday and Sunday to check out the "goings on".

I was pleasantly surprised to see the largest first weekend crowd I have seen in years at the Weirs, especially on Sunday! It was packed and all vendors were crowded with people.

It was good to see such a first weekend turnout considering the decline in recent years. I hope this is a tell tale sign for a very successful and profitable bike week for the area.

Dan
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yes it has been a good turnout so far for a first weekend. It was pretty busy and I did see one scuffle on Sat night. Bound to happen. I believe the days will be more friendly. I'll bet a lot of people will be out today before the rain sets in. Usually a bit quieter on Mondays and Tuesdays anyway, so the rains timing might be just about right this year. I am hoping for a big turnout next weekend for all the vendors that travel such a long way.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Default Bike Week

I too was amazed at the amount of traffic at the Weirs on Sunday after the weather cleared. We went through to get to Lowe's and it seemed extra busy for the beginning of the week.
Planning to get there by boat this coming weekend, the sheer number of customized bikes never ceases to amaze me.
It was sad to hear about the first fatality in Center Harbor. Let's all hope for a safe rest of the week.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

It certainly was busy yesterday- great start to my official start to the summer!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Traffic on Rte 11, Gilford

I attended the GHS commencement Sunday at Meadowbrook, the traffic was much busier than expected. Good thing I remember the new entrance off the old dump road.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I too was amazed at the amount of traffic at the Weirs on Sunday after the weather cleared. We went through to get to Lowe's and it seemed extra busy for the beginning of the week.
Planning to get there by boat this coming weekend, the sheer number of customized bikes never ceases to amaze me.
It was sad to hear about the first fatality in Center Harbor. Let's all hope for a safe rest of the week.
You can blame that extra traffic on the new rotary. I just recently moved from in town LA-conia to a condo with a birds-eye view of that cluster some call a "round about" what a mess. It's quite entertaining on some levels but it just doesn't work for such a heavy traffic load.
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
BlackcatBoater

Where's the new rotary? I just moved back to the area after spending the last 15 years out west. I noticed the one in Meredith- as my house is on Black Cat island (obviously) but haven't been around the lake as of yet. Trying to finalize everything before I go back up after bike week.
BlackcatBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Malfunction Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackcatBoater View Post
Where's the new rotary? I just moved back to the area after spending the last 15 years out west. I noticed the one in Meredith- as my house is on Black Cat island (obviously) but haven't been around the lake as of yet. Trying to finalize everything before I go back up after bike week.
The rotary is at the old "Malfunction Junction". That is the intersection of Weirs Boulevard and Endicott Road. It is just south of the Weirs bridge, or, if you remember, in front of the old Dexter Shoe.

It willl be pretty difficult to get the same amount of traffic around the rotary that usually comes through the last 4 days of Bike Week. It should be interesting in a few days!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Rich

After sitting on the docks at the Naswa both Saturday and Sunday afternoons, it seemed very quiet to me, as least by Naswa standards. Perhaps everyone was on their bike instead of at the Naswa.

There wasn't much scenery to watch.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
You can blame that extra traffic on the new rotary. I just recently moved from in town LA-conia to a condo with a birds-eye view of that cluster some call a "round about" what a mess. It's quite entertaining on some levels but it just doesn't work for such a heavy traffic load.
People need to learn how to drive a rotary. Idiots actually stop in the circle!
Driver ed class: in the rotary keeps moving; when entering must yield.
That simple. I've driven many large diameter rotaries, and many smaller "roundabouts" some in Europe; even the truckers know how!

AND I will add that signage could be far improved. Use of the little diagrams, explaining 180 around goes where or 1/4 or 3/4 etc.goes where. NHDOT has a lot to learn, especially I'll add about signs and barriers in advance of the high speed toll collection in Hookset.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
People need to learn how to drive a rotary. Idiots actually stop in the circle!
Driver ed class: in the rotary keeps moving; when entering must yield.
That simple. I've driven many large diameter rotaries, and many smaller "roundabouts" some in Europe; even the truckers know how!

AND I will add that signage could be far improved. Use of the little diagrams, explaining 180 around goes where or 1/4 or 3/4 etc.goes where. NHDOT has a lot to learn, especially I'll add about signs and barriers in advance of the high speed toll collection in Hookset.
You are completely right.

I have had drivers stop in the Weirs roundabout/rotary and wave me in ahead of them. They are trying to be nice, but they completely screw up the traffic.

A little education would help, as would some instructional signage.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Lakegeezer

Default Full employment act

The event is a boon for the police forces. They are working for that overtime, sitting by the side of the road, watching the cars and cycles go by. We went to Gilford via Weirs Beach and it was shocking how many police were sitting at intersections, even some of the obscure ones. Very little traffic, because it was raining, but the area kinda has that police state feel about it. Perhaps a head of state was expected? So nice that all the state and town's cash problems are solved so they can "show the force".
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
Dave R

I saw someone stop and back up at the Auburn rotary once. Could not believe what I was seeing...

I also saw someone backing up in the high speed lanes at the Hooksett Tolls last week. If I was a cop, that person would have been charged with reckless operation or worse.

I think rotaries are awesome. Every new intersection should have one. They are far superior to stop signs and I'm glad NH is using them. That said, I think the requirements for getting and keeping an operator's license should be much tougher throughout the US. I'm also a fan of a 3 tiered motorcycle license system where a larger displacement motorcycle licenses would require years of experience on smaller bikes and tough riding skills tests for each level. There are some awful riders out there who have no business on big bikes. That said, there should be some sort of loophole for cruiser-style bikes being in the middle displacement tier if they have a low seat and low power to weight. They require a lot less skill to ride than something like a 1000cc+ adventure touring bike.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
Dave M

Default Good rotary

Best rotary I've seen and driven is in Methuen, MA off of Rt93. It has two lanes coming in and exiting. The right lane is mark with a solid line with right turn arrows and is for persons taking an immediate right. The other lane is for entering the rotary. The persons already in the rotary taking that same right hand turn uses the 2nd lane out of the rotary and then merge into one the lane. This is the same all around the whole rotary. Very well thought off. Of course you need lots of room. Of course theirs people who are in the right lane trying to get into the rotary and mess things all up.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
jrc

I went to the first weekend of Bike week on bike for the first time in a few years. Seems to be a like Times Square, a crowd of people looking at a crowd of people. Lots of tee shirts.

I just don't get the little kid thing, really it's OK to have strollers and slightly older kids on Weirs at 10PM Saturday night? The safety factor of bikes and people mixed would be enough for me, but a good chuck of the merchandise is not kid friendly.

Daver, I'm not sure you can correlate engine size with safety. The scariest riders are new riders, either on 600cc sport bikes or 96" big twins.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Best rotary I've seen and driven is in Methuen, MA off of Rt93. It has two lanes coming in and exiting. The right lane is mark with a solid line with right turn arrows and is for persons taking an immediate right. The other lane is for entering the rotary. The persons already in the rotary taking that same right hand turn uses the 2nd lane out of the rotary and then merge into one the lane. This is the same all around the whole rotary. Very well thought off. Of course you need lots of room. Of course theirs people who are in the right lane trying to get into the rotary and mess things all up.

Dave M
Portsmouth Rotary is just like that. Works really well.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

DaveR, I'm not sure you can correlate engine size with safety. The scariest riders are new riders, either on 600cc sport bikes or 96" big twins.
If those riders had to operate <300 cc bikes without a passenger for 5000 miles, and pass a tough riding skills test before they could legally ride a 600cc supersport or 96ci cruiser, I think there would be fewer motorcycle accidents. I'd like to see even more experience required and an even tougher test to ride >750cc supersport and non-cruiser bikes.

I am normally against any sort of legislation that affects personal liberty (like helmet laws), and I don't get too upset if people that I don't know kill themselves in single-vehicle motorcycle accidents. I just don't think the state does enough to protect me (or pillion riders) from the beginner operating a 400+ lb bike with 150 HP.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
cillovely

I got my licence thru a three full day course and I think something like that should be manditory. It had both class room and practical lessons on small bikes. Those instructors are still in my head while I drive. My favorite quote from one of them "drive like they are all out to f'n kill you". And a most of it is not the motorcycles and the people on them. It's the idiots in thier big old suv's and fancy cars talking on thier cell phones, not paying one bit of attention to anything around them let alone someone on a bike. It's up to you to pay attention to the idiots and predict what may happen.

Although I do agree somewhat with your tiered system, I think 300 or less cc's for the first 5000 miles is a bit much. It's not like we live in a climate where we can ride all year round. I'm lucky if I can squeeze in 3000 miles a year. Also don't forget off road miles for those who ride dirt bikes and atv's too.

After one spring/summer I went from my first learner bike which was a 400 cc Honda straight to my 1200 cc Harley Sportster Custom. And have been on that since 1999. We also had a Honda CBR 900RR which I loved to ride here and there. Those super sport bikes are so easy to drive and balanced. The issue with them is you don't feel how fast you can go and the next thing you know you are doing 100+ on the highway. Way easier than a cruiser to drive, not as heavy.

Lately I've been hopping on hubbys bike when I can, a 2000 Heritage Softail. That's like riding a Cadillac compared to my bike. BTW, my Sporty is way more like riding a real Harley than his, I don't have rubber mounted engine, fuel injection and all the other fancy bells and whistles.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I think rotaries are awesome.
Ever been to Paris? You would not think so if you have been around the rotary at the Arc de Triomphe, the Place Charles de Gaulle. It is the meeting point of 12 avenues, many lanes of hell, and tourists running across like a game of Frogger instead of using the underground tunnel.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Ever been to Paris? You would not think so if you have been around the rotary at the Arc de Triomphe, the Place Charles de Gaulle. It is the meeting point of 12 avenues, many lanes of hell, and tourists running across like a game of Frogger instead of using the underground tunnel.
Been there many times and I love round-abouts. Europe does RA's better, in my opinion cuz drivers are used to them and don't panic. England and Ireland are littered with them and they mostly work great. Traffic keeps moving smothly even during heavy traffic times.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
I got my licence thru a three full day course and I think something like that should be manditory. It had both class room and practical lessons on small bikes. Those instructors are still in my head while I drive. My favorite quote from one of them "drive like they are all out to f'n kill you". And a most of it is not the motorcycles and the people on them. It's the idiots in thier big old suv's and fancy cars talking on thier cell phones, not paying one bit of attention to anything around them let alone someone on a bike. It's up to you to pay attention to the idiots and predict what may happen.
The tiered system won't help too much with other drivers, that's why I stated in my first post in the thread that the requirements for an operator's license should be tougher too. I agree, the MSF class you took should be mandatory unless the rider can pass the MSF ERC.

Quote:
Although I do agree somewhat with your tiered system, I think 300 or less cc's for the first 5000 miles is a bit much. It's not like we live in a climate where we can ride all year round. I'm lucky if I can squeeze in 3000 miles a year. Also don't forget off road miles for those who ride dirt bikes and atv's too.
Perhaps it could be 5000 miles or two years, whichever comes first; the point is I want people to have plenty of riding experience before they move up to more challenging bikes. ATV experience would make no difference to me, there's few skills that transfer. Dirt bike experience would be a huge advantage for the rider, but I still think they should have on-road experience with little bikes before graduating to bigger bikes.

Quote:
After one spring/summer I went from my first learner bike which was a 400 cc Honda straight to my 1200 cc Harley Sportster Custom. And have been on that since 1999. We also had a Honda CBR 900RR which I loved to ride here and there. Those super sport bikes are so easy to drive and balanced. The issue with them is you don't feel how fast you can go and the next thing you know you are doing 100+ on the highway. Way easier than a cruiser to drive, not as heavy.
I think supersports are more challenging to ride than a low-slung cruiser like a softtail, that's why I think there should be some sort of loophole if someone only wants to ride a big but low and under-powered bike like a softail. That way the softail could be classified as a <750cc bike and require only two tiers of licensing. I still think everyone should put the time in on <300cc bikes first though. If someone wants to ride a CBR900RR or a faster bike, I think they should have more experience and be tested for higher skills.

Quote:
Lately I've been hopping on hubbys bike when I can, a 2000 Heritage Softail. That's like riding a Cadillac compared to my bike. BTW, my Sporty is way more like riding a real Harley than his, I don't have rubber mounted engine, fuel injection and all the other fancy bells and whistles.
I imagine that softail is a wonderful bike for comfy cruising. I'm partial to sportbikes myself and own a Kawasaki ZX9R that I've put just over 100,000 miles on. It can get sideways very quickly with just a small change in throttle position while leaned over in a corner and is a terrible bike for a beginner IMO.

One other idea I had, there should be credit given for having a road racing (CCS) license. If someone is willing to attend racing school, pass the test, and race on a track, I'm cool with letting them go right into the second tier of street bike licensing.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
jrc

Daver, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just a did a little digging and I find no correlation between bike size and accidents. Bing will take you to the gov's stat's. I bet you can guess what cause 61% of weekend bike fatalities...booze.

Actually my experience tells me the opposite on size. There is a very short term comfort issue with the weight, a heavy bike intimidates new riders. But once that is overcome, size or horsepower has no relationship on safety. Just because you can badly drive a 900cc sport bike, doesn't mean you can't badly drive a 350cc.

Aggressive driving is risky on any bike. You really should never be in a position where a small change in throttle position will get you sideways, on a public road. It is possible to drive that bike safely.

I'd be for a driving class requirement, I'd prefer the insurance companies force the issue rather than the government. I'd even consider a no passengers for youthful or new drivers type of restriction. But size is really a poor gauge.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Been there many times and I love round-abouts. Europe does RA's better, in my opinion cuz drivers are used to them and don't panic. England and Ireland are littered with them and they mostly work great. Traffic keeps moving smothly even during heavy traffic times.
TOTALLY agree!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Dave R

Quote:
Daver, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just a did a little digging and I find no correlation between bike size and accidents. Bing will take you to the gov's stat's. I bet you can guess what cause 61% of weekend bike fatalities...booze.

Actually my experience tells me the opposite on size. There is a very short term comfort issue with the weight, a heavy bike intimidates new riders. But once that is overcome, size or horsepower has no relationship on safety. Just because you can badly drive a 900cc sport bike, doesn't mean you can't badly drive a 350cc.

Aggressive driving is risky on any bike. You really should never be in a position where a small change in throttle position will get you sideways, on a public road. It is possible to drive that bike safely.

I'd be for a driving class requirement, I'd prefer the insurance companies force the issue rather than the government. I'd even consider a no passengers for youthful or new drivers type of restriction. But size is really a poor gauge.

That's cool. I've traveled a lot and I'm basing my recommendation on what I have witnessed in countries that have tiered motorcycle licensing. The motorcycle skills on display in places like the UK, Japan, France, and Germany put most riders here to shame.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
cillovely

Quote:
Bingo that's a huge thing right there. Booze. That is why I keep away from organized chaos things like rides and....bike week. Sadly some of our biker brother and sisters think that is the time to start drinking (amongst other things). Yea right, with 100's or even 1000's of bikes side by side in close proximity. No thank you. I'll take my quiet road rides all by myself or with a friend or two over that anyday.

PS DaveR, I love the name of your boat!!!
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:

PS DaveR, I love the name of your boat!!!
Thanks. My wife and kids named it. I'm not a HP fan, but I like the name too.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

You never know though. You have to be on the defensive all the time. We had two friends killed when they went up over a hill and a car was coming the other way on their side of the road.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
ApS

Question Paper Addresses "Accidents", not "Fatalities"..

Quote:
Today's Union Leader reports that "operator error" is to blame for most Bike Week "accidents". (Page A3).

Also, "Most accidents occurred between 2 and 5 PM."

The worst roads for motorcycle accidents are Rts 3, 25, 11, 104, 106, Scenic Drive, and Roller Coaster Road, according to UNH—Durham.

Intoxicants were blamed for only 2.6% of crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
"...It was sad to hear about the first fatality in Center Harbor. Let's all hope for a safe rest of the week..."
That one was "alcohol-related", from the news story on the same page.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #29
fatlazyless

That one was "alcohol-related", from the news story on the same page.[/QUOTE]

As you head north on State Route 3 thru Center Harbor, the 40-mph road curves left and then right, big-time, and a yellow 25-mph warning sign suggests for you to slow down. As you probably know, the white speed limit signs are the legal limit, and the yellow speed limit signs are a warning-suggestion. Just north of the big, hairy curve with the yellow 25-mph, the limit is posted with a white 45-mph on the straight-a-way. Of course, it's only hairy if you is going too fast, or not driving a Porsche.

I have no real clue but if memory is correct, that Center Harbor curve on Route 3-25 there, the Daniel Webster Hgwy, has possibly been the last curve for one of the Royea's from Holderness, maybe ten-15 years ago on a Harley Davidson motorcycle, and possibly: "In Remembrance of Amanda Hackett". At the north end of the curve, a memorial, state sign in memory of Amanda Hackett has been there for many years where the sign sponsor does twice/year roadside litter pick-up along that area of the road as exchange for the sign, or something like that!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
SIKSUKR

Default Back on subject

The Weirs looks pretty busy right now.Here's a live cam located at the drive-in entrance looking across towards Weirs Blvd.

http://www.thehawkrocks.com/Web-Cam/13067591
bclaker (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
ApS

Question ...when you need one...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"...Very little traffic, because it was raining, but the area kinda has that police state feel about it. Perhaps a head of state was expected? So nice that all the state and town's cash problems are solved so they can "show the force..."
There was no "police-state feel" at the intersection of Rt 28 and Rt 171 about 5:15-PM yesterday. That intersection is amply marked at 40-MPH.

Southbound, a group of a dozen bikers blasted-through at about 60-MPH—in the RAIN!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #32
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
There was no "police-state feel" at the intersection of Rt 28 and Rt 171 about 5:15-PM yesterday. That intersection is amply marked at 40-MPH.

Southbound, a group of a dozen bikers blasted-through at about 60-MPH—in the RAIN!

Well, you were in Wolfeboro- not really an epicenter for bike week!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

That is one up side of bike week, most of the police are in Weirs Beach making sure the scene remains family friendly so the speed limits are poorly enforced everywhere else. If you get off the main roads, there's some fun to be had. The downside is all the slow poke motorcyclists on the main roads holding up people who just want to get their boats to the launch ramp in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
NHBUOY

Thumbs down

Ya Dave, the nerve of some people slowing you down while you're breaking the speed laws on your motorcycle in the morning, and then holding you up towing your boat to the ramp in the afternoon.

I, for one am outraged.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #35
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yesterday the Wolfeboro Police were standing out near the road by the hospital. One guy standing near the road and another a little further down giving tickets...
Wolfeboro has been very busy with bikes going down RT28 (South Main) All day today. Lots of Bikes. Going to be a very busy weekend me thinks. Please drive safely....When you get into a car accident you don't always make the news. Hit a bike, and you are going to be on the news.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #36
SIKSUKR

Very very busy right now at the Weirs.This cam is on during the daily broadcast hours.
http://www.thehawkrocks.com/Web-Cam/13067591
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Well, you were in Wolfeboro- not really an epicenter for bike week!
. . . . Ossipee
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
laketrout

Good to hear bike week is busier. I was there last weekend, I drove up from the seacoast there was just a few bikes on the road on the way up to Laconia. The Weirs was somewhat busy with bikes but it was a cloudy day. Naswa just had 10 boats docked. I remember 6+ years ago before the big Recession it was real busy. Parade road was non stop full of bikes day and night and 2nd that for Weirs Blvd, I have not seen it real "super" busy in years.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #39
trfour

Thumbs up Always Good To Hear

I hope the weather is good for the up and coming Father's Day Weekend for everyone, and especially for all those that traveled here from other States!!
Happy Father's Day to all, as well!!

Pictured, 'Tricycle For Grownups??' Piloted by one of my humorous nephew's...
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 06-17-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Add Photos
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
Good to hear bike week is busier. I was there last weekend, I drove up from the seacoast there was just a few bikes on the road on the way up to Laconia. The Weirs was somewhat busy with bikes but it was a cloudy day. Naswa just had 10 boats docked. I remember 6+ years ago before the big Recession it was real busy. Parade road was non stop full of bikes day and night and 2nd that for Weirs Blvd, I have not seen it real "super" busy in years.
The police can be thanked for not being as busy as it use to be.. They really don't need to be as arrogant and bulk headed as they are, it makes people not want to come back.
I've been to other rallies with half as many police, low and behold there were no issues.
Laconia pd and state police should visit some of the other rallies and learn a thing or 2.
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #41
jrc

As my first year back "into" bike week after ignoring it for a few years, I found something I can't explain. The Weirs, Lobster Pound, and Broken Spoke and Funspot loop was always mobbed, but the rest of the area seemed only mildly impacted by bikers.

We ate at our "normal" weekend places and most complained that they were slow and bike week was disappointing this year, yet every time I drove down to the Weirs it was crowded. Where do those all those bikers eat?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #42
boat_guy64

Quote:
As my first year back "into" bike week after ignoring it for a few years, I found something I can't explain. The Weirs, Lobster Pound, and Broken Spoke and Funspot loop was always mobbed, but the rest of the area seemed only mildly impacted by bikers.

We ate at our "normal" weekend places and most complained that they were slow and bike week was disappointing this year, yet every time I drove down to the Weirs it was crowded. Where do those all those bikers eat?

I have been told by more than one restaurant owner that bike week scares away the normal customers and the few bikers that stop in don't make up for the difference.

Most of my neighbors avoid the lake for these 2 weekends and I think the restaurant owners may be correct. (I'm sure that there are a few hot spots that do very well on these weekends)

I like biker weekend because almost no one is on the lake. I can go from Meredith to Wolfeboro by boat in the afternoon and there is actually space at the Wolfeboro docks. They are great boating weekends. We just bring in all of our supplies on Friday and only go anywhere by boat.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
Happy Gourmand

Default Bike Week traffic

The bike traffic on Rte 3 between the Weirs and Meredith was much lighter than usual this week. In past years, we would sit at the end of our road watching and admiring the custom bikes as they were stopped in traffic in front of us. Not only was the traffic always moving, but there seemed to be fewer custom bikes.
Like Boat Guy, we go up on Friday, park the pickup and don't get back to it till Sunday night. And even the boat traffic seemed lighter than usual this year.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
Winnisquamguy

I put on over 700 miles going all over the state and I thought this year was busier than last and last year had better weather.Talked to people from Mississippi to Canada and everyone was having fun. Lots of big groups this year...more than normal I think.Talked with a few owners and one said they were up over 25% and one was down 20% from last years numbers still with the weekend to go.I had fun! I Believe there was only one fatality and I saw an accident going through the notch but nobody looked badly injured.It starts a week later next year on Fathers Day(14) until the 22nd of June. Ride safe everyone!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
CrownRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Dave M
I hope this was sarcasm. This is the WORST rotary in the state! Nobody pays any attention to the "new" lines. People cut you off becuase they are in the wrong lane. There are a ton of accidents in the rotary evey year. I drive in it every day for work. Word is, the whole thing is undergoing construction starting this year. No more rotary, new ramp system! Can't wait Until 2015!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #46
CrownRay

Speaking of Rotarys, the Movie, National Lampoon European Vacation...Look Kids, Big Ben, Parliament! (AGAIN!)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Restaurant business depends on location and type. I can say that Patrick's did very well, went by several times on trips to Lowe's and the lot was full of bikes.

Yesterday (Sunday) morning was our only chance to get on the bike all week. At 9:30 am the free parking at the Weirs was 3/4 filled and by 10:30 am the local parking hawkers were getting customers. Most vendors were still open but a few had started to pack. T shirts were being hawked at 4 for $20 and then a few started offering 5 for $20. Even so there are so many in the drawer from many years ago that we passed.

Then on to Fun Spot which had little left open and then the Harley dealer where a few vendors had started to pack. Anyway it was a nice morning for a ride. Then back to camp to work on a project.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #48
Winnisquamguy

Default From The New Hampshire Union Leader

Despite rain, riders turn out in strong numbers for Bike Week

Quote:
Rain dampened much of Motorcycle Week 2013, though Lakes Region businesses said motorcyclists turned out in strong numbers despite the rain, especially over the weekend.

Law enforcement authorities said at least two people were killed during the week.

As usual, there were numerous accidents, injuries and DWI arrests, area police said.

The week started with rain, and the pavement was wet through Thursday, with many hours of heavy downpours mixed in. Motorcyclists were not out on the roadways in large numbers early in the week, though motels and lodges in the area said their rooms were full, mostly with bikers. Area restaurants and bars said business was slow early on. "It was definitely slow going there for awhile, the weather was so touch-and-go," said Jake Quimby of Patrick's Pub and Eatery in Gilford. "Once the weather started to clear, it was good times again."

Steve Fields of Flurries Restaurant in Meredith said business was slow during the periods of heavy rain, "but it got much better as the week went on, and since then it's been back to normal."

Meredith Fire Department Capt. Jay Haines, himself a motorcyclist, said there were very few problems overall resulting from the tens of thousands of bikers attending this year's Bike Week.

"The turnout was very low, especially early in the week; we haven't seen the number of accidents and other problems we normally see," Haines said.

"The weather was obviously a big factor," he said. "I took the week off, and I couldn't ride much at all."

There were at least two motorcycle-related deaths during the week. On June 9 in Center Harbor, a 27-year-old Canaan man died in an apparent alcohol-related crash after his motorcycle left the road on a notoriously sharp turn on Route 3 near the junction of Waukewan Road. Police said Robert W. Curtis was pronounced dead at the scene of the 7:49 p.m. accident.

A Pembroke, Mass., man died Thursday morning in a crash on Interstate 93 near the entrance to the viewing area of the Old Man of the Mountain.

State police identified the motorcyclist as Robin Staines, 47. Police said he lost control of his motorcycle about 11:25 a.m. at the entrance to the viewing area as he traveled on the northbound side of the Franconia Notch State Parkway section of Interstate 93.

Just before 10 p.m. Saturday, a motorcyclist suffered a life-threatening head injury in an accident on Route 109 in Moultonborough, according to authorities. The biker, identified as Debra Ferrari, 48, of Vineland, N.J., was airlifted by DHART helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon. Police in a release issued Monday morning said Ferrari crossed the double yellow line and struck a vehicle operated by David Bergeron, 32, of Somerville, Mass. Bergeron and his passenger were not injured, and police said speed and alcohol were not factors in the crash.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...1403/130619384
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #49
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
It starts a week later next year on Fathers Day(14) until the 22nd of June. Ride safe everyone!
I like this.Might help with the weather as it seems to get better the following week although they might be doing this because Fathers day is the earliest it can fall next year.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #50
PaugusBayFireFighter

I can tell you that TBones and Christmas Island SH were packed all week. We cruised through the Weirs by boat on Saturday and the boardwalk was wall to wall bikes and people.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #51
spider22

There was finally some nice weather after a week of crap so I am sure there was a lot of people anxious to get out and ride.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #52
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I like this.Might help with the weather as it seems to get better the following week although they might be doing this because Fathers day is the earliest it can fall next year.
The dates will help the issues with local school boards, for graduations!

Restaurants: I personally know several for many years, saying their regular clients stay away; exactly and the bike week is a large loss of revenues.

One owner even leaves town headed far north for the week, leaving place to employees and subcontractor to work! Unless a business is right in the thick of things, it's a real detriment to life!

The roundabout stories! Let's wait for specific announcements from DOT, please.