Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Boardwalk North

Default First Time Boat Owner Needs Help...

Hey everyone. Not only am I new to this forum, but I am a first time boat owner. I don't live on Winni, but have a place on a nearby pond.

I just bought a 2003, 19' bow rider. I'm reasonably mechanically sound but am struggling to find out how to learn some of the basics about boating and am looking for advice.

I'm lucky enough to have a good neighbor that has experience with boats on our pond, but I don't want to have to rely on him for all of my help.

I'm in need of help with everything from putting in, taking out, starting up, dealing with engine fluids, etc.

Books? Guides? Any ideas would be welcome. I'm seriously considering hiring someone to walk me through my first day or so but not sure if that's overkill or not.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Jon
Boardwalk North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Spend a day at the launch ramp in Meredith watching people put in and take out.

Buy the Chapmans Guide to Piloting and read it. It's thick, but you can get through most of the important stuff between now and spring.

Learn to pay lots of attention on the water. Know your danger zone, and basic right of way rules. Accept the fact that many others boaters will NOT know and observe these rules.

Have a boat mechanic get your boat ready for spring put in. Most of the maintenance items are easy, but it makes sense to pay an expert to ensure things are in proper order so you don't have to worry about that also. Ask him to explain to you the basics, like checking outdrive lubrication.

Expect that at some point you will likely get into a panic scenario. When this happens stay calm and think the situation through and you will probably come out of it ok.

For your first trip, it should be just you and the wife, and/or a competent co-captain. Practice basic maneuvers and get a feel for how your boat responds. This trip will be shortly after the mechanic above has checked out the boat for you. Make a note of what is 'normal' for sounds, smells and gauges.

Take it easy your first year. Don't rush to pull skiers and tubers or otherwise go too far out of the bounds of basic navigation. Go out at least once at night to see the difference between operating during the day and at night. It will be memorable experience (hopefully in a good way)

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by brk-lnt; 03-21-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: fixed iPad typos
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brk-lnt For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (03-21-2011), MaidenCove07 (04-16-2011), Newbiesaukee (03-21-2011), pcmc (03-21-2011), SBC (04-15-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Boardwalk North

Default Thanks

Sounds like good advice. I'm applying for my Boating Education information to get the necessary certification which is my first starting point. I'll take your suggestions.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Well you have gotten over the first hurdle and you aren't worried about asking for help. That is the first key. People are always willing to help. Especially in those hard to maneuver areas like around public docks, and boat ramps. Don't be afraid to ask your neighbor to come with to launch the boat for a first time, especially if he has already offered. Most likely he remembers what it is like to do everything for the first time.

As already suggested don't run into pulling skiers, and tubers, spend a little while just getting used to operating the boat.

My last piece of advice is that after that first trip with the boat. Get back on shore and re-evaluate the day. If there where specific aspects of the day that where more anxiety filled then other, say docking... or learning to be in boating traffic etc. Then come back here and talk about them... Once you identify the areas of greatest concern, it easy to start working on them one by one. You will find that here on this forum, there are plenty of people with good advice, and that are willing to help you tackle what ever you are having trouble with.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Nauset

Default BoaterEd

Here is a great source of boating information. Enjoy!
http://www.boatered.com/forum/
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nauset For This Useful Post:
Misakame (03-21-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
camp guy

Default First Time Boater Needs Help

All of the suggestions are good ones. I would like to pass on two axioms that have served me well during my boating lifetime: 1) If you are going to have a problem, have it at the slowest speed possible; 2) The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask.

Enjoy your boating experience.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Dave R

Good advice given so far. One thing to add: When you do go out on your pond for the first time, make sure you get a solid understanding of where the hazards are. Propellers and rocks are never happy when they compete for the same space. The rocks usually win.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
NoBozo

All good advice so far. The MOST Important thing required when owning a boat is having a nice Solid Checking Account with enough funds to take care of any eventuality.

I have a cousin whose husband has a 24 foot "strait" inboard center console Fish Boat. He likes to fish. He doesn't know anything about mechanical stuff. She says every time he goes out "It costs $2000." That should give you an idea how much cash to keep in the account at any given time. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Sent PM

Sending you a private message
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

I will pile four things on the advice list.

1) Unlike in a car, a boat bumps into things. As said previously, if you are going real slow and don't panic, no one will know the difference.

2) I taught my kids and bride to dock out in the middle of the lake. I would randomly orient the boat and ask them to park into and leave an imaginary slip where making mistakes is zero deal.

3) Wind is everything when things get tight. If you can spot a flag or other indication of wind direction and severity, it can save you a lot of aggravation. Take advantage of the wind or compensate for it if you have to.

4) A boating friend of mine taught me to try and forget what you know about steering a car. On a car you steer the front wheels. On a boat, you steer the back. You can't make the front go where you want. You can only push or pull the front by moving the back. It makes a big difference when you are doing anything important at low speed.

Enjoy the experiences and welcome to the forum.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
SBC (04-15-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
On a car you steer the front wheels. On a boat, you steer the back. .
That's an easy one RG,just back the boat when docking.
Rattlesnake Guy (03-23-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Boardwalk North

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the help and great advice. I will keep you posted on my progress and as you already know, asking for more advice.

Jon
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
CrownRay

Two things I guess...

1. B.O.A.T (Break Out Another Thousand) HA! Just be prepared for those things that pop up, like they said above...things like dead batteries (more expensive than the car ones)!

Like my signature says, and I LIVE by, the lake isn't what's dangerous, its all the hard stuff around it...

Oh, and just remember, all the OTHER guys have no idea what they are doing...

And, just have FUN!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Seeker

Lots of good advice above.

Don't assume the other boaters know what they are doing. Get all the boating education you can . I highly recommend the US Power Squadron course. IIRC it takes around 7 nights (1 per week) to complete (could be longer as I haven't taken it since 1973) but the information is excellent and you will be more knowledgeable than most skippers on any lake. Definitely buy Chapmans book as mentioned above - it's the bible albeit a tad expensive.

Make sure you have a spare prop - that way you'll never need it.

Have fun in your new adventure.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Don't assume the other boaters know what they are doing. Get all the boating education you can . I highly recommend the US Power Squadron course. IIRC it takes around 7 nights (1 per week) to complete (could be longer as I haven't taken it since 1973) but the information is excellent and you will be more knowledgeable than most skippers on any lake. Definitely buy Chapmans book as mentioned above - it's the bible albeit a tad expensive.

Having a few spare tools you'll never use on board is always a good idea too. That way you have the means to replace the spare prop you'll never need
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
XCR-700

Thumbs up

You have a ton of good advice on this post, one more thing to try, take a day or two off in the middle of the week when its quiet at the ramp and on the water and try to take someone with you that is experienced and knows the lake/pond you will be boating on.

I find a lot of new boaters get into trouble becaue the feel rushed.

Practice is always easier when you dont have a line of other boaters behind you waiting for the ramp.

Take your time and be safe and enjoy!

ATB!!!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
John A. Birdsall

Default new boating

there are two things I noticed that were not mentioned.

1.) you back the boat into the water, not drive into. If you drive into it could ruin more than just your day!

2.) Have seen this more than once, don't forget to take your tie down strap off the boat and trailor. Makes it easier to get the boat off the trailer when in the water.

3. oh yeah and take the vechicle out of reverse when you are releasing the boat. Don't need the vechicle to go for a swim.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
Winnipesaukee

What everyone else said. Also, take an afternoon of doing nothing but studying a Bizer chart of the lake.

I'd recommend this book. It is used by the USCG Aux when they teach their classes.

http://www.amazon.com/Boating-Skills.../dp/0071467297
Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Don't assume the other boaters know what they are doing. Get all the boating education you can ........ Definitely buy Chapmans book as mentioned above - it's the bible albeit a tad expensive.

Libraries, those places with lots of PRINTED stuff, usually have a current copy of Chapmans if you don't want to drop a bundle on a book just yet.

Welcome to Water World-you're off to a good start here.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SBC For This Useful Post:
KPW (04-20-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
jrc

I know it's a sin against the boating gods, but I would not recommend Chapmans. In the past it may have been the only good reference but now it is a waste.

There are only three or four sections useful for a recreational lake boater. Their target is an ocean sailor. The bulk of the stuff is just not apropriate for a lake boater. It is too big to read comfortably, you need to sit at a table. I have Chapmans but I never read it, I have several smaller books that address stuff that I need. And I search the web for articles on important lake subjects.

Unfortunately I can't give you the names of the books I like because they are on the boat, where they belong. Chapmans is in my house.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Superfly

Default More tips...

What pond are you going to boat on? Anyone with experience on that pond can offer you valuable information. Ramp locations, Water hazards, where to park your trailer, etc etc.

Some lakes and ponds have additional restrictions on them such as horsepower limilations, no skicraft, etc etc

Last edited by Superfly; 01-06-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
no-engine

I have been boating for over half century: sailed 10 days at sea, from east coast to the Virgin Islands, sailed as a child. And boated on Lake. Owned a variety of boats, from canoe, kayak, 19' sailboat, and been guest aboard many boats.

The only point I take issue with is watching boaters at the Meredith launching ramp. I live nearby, and there often is such a comedy of errors. Not all the time, but.... There is often a lack of common sense. Wander the Town Docks any time, of course after ice out! And just observe!

Go down and meander through the antique boats on the last Saturday of July; easily 25% know nothing about tying appropriate knots! Good knot-tying is extremely important.

Seek out classes and groups of other boat owners. Good luck!
Boating is a life-long endeavor, with many rewards to oneself!

Almost Ice out Friday 4/15/11
Attached Images

no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
gtxrider

Default 1 More

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
there are two things I noticed that were not mentioned.

1.) you back the boat into the water, not drive into. If you drive into it could ruin more than just your day!

2.) Have seen this more than once, don't forget to take your tie down strap off the boat and trailor. Makes it easier to get the boat off the trailer when in the water.

3. oh yeah and take the vechicle out of reverse when you are releasing the boat. Don't need the vechicle to go for a swim.
AND....
4. make sure the drain plug is in before launching..Boats float better with the water outside the hull.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
AND....
4. make sure the drain plug is in before launching..Boats float better with the water outside the hull.
What he said. Plus you lose a good half hour of boating time with the boat on the trailer waiting for the hull to drain!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #25
robmac

Several years back a boater that had ramp service at an uname marina close to the weirs lauched his boat after already finding someone had ransacked it only to find they had also remove the plug. I always check it when launching and keep a couple of spares in case I need it or a boater at a ramp lost one. Just speeds things up.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
samosetguy

Default Wind

Rattlesnake guy mentioned wind but I would expand the point especially for a boat your size.

If you're on Lake Winni in the larger pockets of water (and maybe smaller lakes too), wind speed can really impact your day. I would check weather.com for the forecasted wind speeds before heading out.

Everything is more diffuclt (and more stressful) when the wind is blowing hard. Waves are bigger, docking is harder, getting help if your engine goes down can be more stressful because of drifting, etc.

Conversly, everything is a lot easier when there is no wind. Rides are smooth, docking is a easy and predictable, etc.

As I write this I'm remembering the day I tried to turn my boat around in the 19 mile bay docks on a crowded windy day. I'll never try that again.

Also, every boater, no matter how great they claim to be, has had at least one embarrassing mistake while boating.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote