Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default Year Round Islanders???

I've heard stories of individuals that have stayed at their Winnipesaukee island home year round and I'm kind of fascinated with the idea. Has anyone done that in recent memory? If not, when was the last time this was done? Or are they just stories? I've wondered how that would work...especially during the couple of months when there'd likely be no way off the island. Such as late December through mid January, when the ice is sort of in and April, when it's sort of out. Not to mention those warmer years (like last year) when the ice is perpetually iffy. I guess you'd just have to stock up knowing there would be those times when you simply couldn't leave. I imagine there'd be many other hardships not the least of which would be lack of assessable emergency services.

Have any of you islanders ever contemplated doing this - or known anyone that has?
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
DBreskin

There are a couple of people that have hovercraft which allow year-round access, and others that have hardbottom airboats that allow passage over some ice.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I've heard stories of individuals that have stayed at their Winnipesaukee island home year round and I'm kind of fascinated with the idea. Has anyone done that in recent memory? If not, when was the last time this was done? Or are they just stories? I've wondered how that would work...especially during the couple of months when there'd likely be no way off the island. Such as late December through mid January, when the ice is sort of in and April, when it's sort of out. Not to mention those warmer years (like last year) when the ice is perpetually iffy. I guess you'd just have to stock up knowing there would be those times when you simply couldn't leave. I imagine there'd be many other hardships not the least of which would be lack of assessable emergency services.

Have any of you islanders ever contemplated doing this - or known anyone that has?
I know somebody that does this.

Really it's not that big of a deal PROVIDED that you are well prepared and the house is setup for winter occupancy.

During the inbetween times access is still possible with the aformentioned air boat or hovercraft. In fact there are a couple of air boats that sit in slips at sheps. Island Services Co also works year round and they have the logistics to get out at any time as well.

The only huge potential hassle is if there is a loss of power as the power company will not send guys out across the ice unless it is REALLY good and safe. Most years I have made my first trip out over the ice I arrive to find power is out. It's not that big a deal to run generator power for a weekend stay - but for a prolonged period of time that would be a pain!

Once the ice is in and safe access is very easy, arguably easier.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Years ago there used to be a guy that lived on Cow (I think) year round. He didn't have an airboat and really did have to be prepared to stay. Does anybody else remember this?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Years ago there used to be a guy that lived on Cow (I think) year round. He didn't have an airboat and really did have to be prepared to stay. Does anybody else remember this?
https://lakewinnipesaukee.wordpress....by-hovercraft/
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
fatlazyless

On Saturday, April 9, 2011, at about 4-pm, a 62-year old man NOT wearing a pfd who was a full time, year 'round resident on Cow Island died in an accidental drowning at the Harilla Landing dock when his small Scat hovercraft flipped over, cold-shocking him into the icy cold, slushy water underneath, or something.

It's interesting to consider how an individual can readily wade out into the lake water in early April to install a dock or boat-lift, wearing just a swim suit and water shoes, out up to one's neck for a minute or two or maybe even five to ten minutes with no ill effects. It actually feels good for one's blood circulation after you return ashore. Is just wading out and not swimming in water out over one's head. It definitely helps to have a bright sunny day at the time.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-04-2020 at 08:33 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

After reading this thread (minus #6), it seems two ingredients are needed- Desire and $$$$$!
I would be cool to do!

Got books?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Was that George Randall the propane delivery man? I know he used to stay over all winter a few years back...Quite the character to say the least!

Dan
Old 10-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Was that George Randall the propane delivery man? I know he used to stay over all winter a few years back...Quite the character to say the least!

Dan
The person I am thinking of didn't have an airboat. They weren't around here then. He was a really hardy islander!
Old 10-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
The person I am thinking of didn't have an airboat. They weren't around here then. He was a really hardy islander!
George didn’t have an airboat. I know one year he had to have Steve Buzota of Island Support Services come and get him with his airboat to get him off the island in the late winter...not sure why but Steve did tell me “it wasn’t a pretty picture”!

Edited to add...I guess he did have an airboat after all!!...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 10-04-2020 at 05:07 PM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Where was George?

Which Island was George Randall on? I recall stories of someone living on Little Bear (?) who walked back and forth but towed a small canoe on a rope for safety. Never heard that he ever needed it.
Of course, Jan and Bob Dean stayed on Lockes several winters. Hover craft and AWD Subaru.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (10-05-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
tis

I don't remember the name of the guy or which island. I just remember that somebody lived on an island before the days of airboats. Descant, you might be thinking of the same person I am. Could very well have been Little Bear.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Which Island was George Randall on? I recall stories of someone living on Little Bear (?) who walked back and forth but towed a small canoe on a rope for safety. Never heard that he ever needed it.
Of course, Jan and Bob Dean stayed on Lockes several winters. Hover craft and AWD Subaru.
George was on Cow island. If you read this story, I believe the year his hovercraft broke down (2008) is the year Island Support went to save him...

https://www.fosters.com/article/2008...EWS02/66980996

Dan
Old 10-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #14
jenfa

Default George!

George is my neighbor, he is still living on an island but this time it has a bridge! Great guy and yes, a character!
jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenfa For This Useful Post:
Diana (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #15
Bizer

20+ years ago, there was a fellow living on Whortleberry(?) who simply rented a room at a motel for three weeks during (what he called) the shoulder seasons. It was off-season and the rooms were inexpensive.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Over the years I have heard of several people on several different islands staying the winter..... Most have had hover crafts, once or twice airboats... I do recall someone one time claiming to have done it with out either, and just had to be patient and supplied while the ice formed.

With a good generator, and sufficient food supplies, anything is achievable. People live remotely in Alaska as a way of life.

To me the biggest risk, is making sure that the town your island resides in has emergancy equipment that can get to you... Saying you got sick and died because emergency services couldn't get to you in the Alaska wilderness is understandable, on Lake Winnipesaukee, it would be considered poor planning.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
radioman

Default year round

Jerry Whiteleather on Bear and Alan and Lil Palmer on Palmer all have spent winters and have different modes over the past years. All report the experience was not fun!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #18
KPW

I heard there was a guy on Cow named Ralph, that would use a kayak and just push himself over the ice when needed.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:01 AM   #19
fatlazyless

A polar bear is the creature that comes to mind as well equipped to travel across icy cold open water, and frozen ice surfaces, with its excellent swimming and claws for climbing up onto the ice.

With a $300, 20-lb inflatable Aqua Marina Fusion stand up paddle board, a $300 dry suit from www.mythicdrysuits.com, a paddle, a pfd, feet ice grippers, and hand ice spikes, a determined paddler could go from land to ice to water to ice to land. Include a cup of hot coffee in a paper cup and you are good to go! ...

This paddle board has a recessed handle at its center and at just 20-lbs makes its easy to hold it under your arm while walking along and carrying it or towing it on a bow line across the ice. It is 10'6"x 32" x 6" and very sturdy design.

And, here's a different method ...... by flying! Yesterday, Oct 6 in the mid-afternoon, heard and saw a small black helicopter that supposedly lives somewhere out on Bear Island ....... an enclosed, long distance helicopter that could cost maybe $150,000 or some unknown amount ..... capable to commute from Acton MA to Meredith NH.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-07-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #20
ApS

Arrow Ice, Canoe, Sail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
I heard there was a guy on Cow named Ralph, that would use a kayak and just push himself over the ice when needed.
I remember reading about an early French missionary who crossed the firm ice of the Great Lakes—using a sail as an assist to moving the loaded canoe.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Default ..... the water walking ball!

Here's a transparent 78"-diameter water walking ball with a zipper, so you zip yourself inside the inflated ball, or something, and by walking it inside you will roll the ball across water and ice, supposedly and good luck!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihKVx9xbQ88 ... from a pond in Stockholm.

$119.99 at walmart.com

To improve its use, stability and traction, what it needs is a tire tread design on the inside and outside for gripping the users feet, the water and the snow/ice, similar to a Hakkapeliitta snow/ice tire from Finland ...... yaaa, yaaa!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-10-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #22
Kamper

If you are going to attempt this, I'd suggest a cache of emergency gear and supplies in case your house burns down (I hope it doesn't!). Alternately, get permission from a neighbor to use their camp if needed. That way your cache won't need to have a tent.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:01 AM   #23
steve-on-mark

We are out at the island probably longer than most...by November the lake becomes quite dark and desolate at night. All the navigation lights are gone, island camps aren't lit up, and it's cold! If I had to stay all winter I could, but I don't think that I'd want to. Prolonged power outages would require generator use and lots of propane, and the propane barge ain't coming out that time of year. Same with the gas fireplace...it's a propane hog. It's not fun lugging 100 pounders in nice weather, not thinking I'd want to do it in winter. I wouldn't have any neighbors to see or rely on ( on the islands that's huge), so if I fell off a ladder, I'm thinking I'd be lying there for a long time. My wife is talking about having Thanksgiving out there this year. I'm game, but that will end the season for me!
steve-on-mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
Descant

Default Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
We are out at the island probably longer than most...by November the lake becomes quite dark and desolate at night. All the navigation lights are gone, island camps aren't lit up, and it's cold! If I had to stay all winter I could, but I don't think that I'd want to. Prolonged power outages would require generator use and lots of propane, and the propane barge ain't coming out that time of year. Same with the gas fireplace...it's a propane hog. It's not fun lugging 100 pounders in nice weather, not thinking I'd want to do it in winter. I wouldn't have any neighbors to see or rely on ( on the islands that's huge), so if I fell off a ladder, I'm thinking I'd be lying there for a long time. My wife is talking about having Thanksgiving out there this year. I'm game, but that will end the season for me!
Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend (Monday). Just a thought. We've done successful Canadian Thanksgivings on Welch with the host doing a turkey or two, and guests bringing every thing else.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #25
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend (Monday). Just a thought. We've done successful Canadian Thanksgivings on Welch with the host doing a turkey or two, and guests bringing every thing else.
O Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux. :-)
steve-on-mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
We can walk over on Monday. What can we bring?

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #27
Descant

Default Too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We can walk over on Monday. What can we bring?

Alan
Unfortunately, we closed early this year. I expect an electrician to be working
this week, but he probably thinks Monday is a holiday, too. Maybe a turkey sandwich later on for him? See you in March.