Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
mswlogo

Default How to save money on electricity

I was discussing privately about cost of heating with electric and this topic came up.

I figured I'd post my reply publicly.

I can't stress enough how much these devices have saved me. I've helped two friends install them. Both of them cut their bill in half. Like one friend we learned he had a bad battery sitting in a charger and it was accounting for like 1/4 of his electric bill. Small devices that are constant on can chew up a lot of watts.

It will be the first thing I install in any house.

The one below is VERY pricey. But it is also extreme good. You can get devices like this much cheaper and get most of what you need. But this one goes the extra mile and is worth it.

We pay the highest rates of electricity in the country in the Northeast.

Now some my saving point out things like a pool pump I ran. And so I replaced that with a fairly expensive variable speed pump. That might take 10 years to pay back. That's fine with me.

Another really common one is HVAC systems. Modern HVAC systems run a HEATER in the winter to keep the freon warm. If it doesn't freon will condense in the oil and if you fire it up cold you ruin the compressor. But if you don't run the compressor over winter, I disconnect it. But in the spring I plug it in, and NOT run it for a few days. The freon will "boil" out of the oil again and it's safe to start. The luxury of starting the AC any time is why they put these heaters in. All modern AC systems have it. If you use your AC (Heatpump for heat) then of course you cannot turn it off.

Little things like timers, motion sensors etc. add up. But they do take a long time to pay back.

https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Energy-.../dp/B075K6PHJ9
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote