Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
kcoh

Default Irwin Marine Alton

Whats everyones experience with Irwin Marine in Alton? Every interaction I have with them is horrible
kcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Welcome

Yes, welcome to the Forum. My family has been doing business with Irwin Marine since 1950 and it has always been a good relationship. Never done business in Alton Bay.
You get a better response from Forum members if you describe a situation (no names) and ask for suggestions on how to resolve a problem. In a short season, marinas, and others have to have good relations, so most of us are happy with our marinas. A flat statement like yours "horrible", doesn't give us much to work with.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (05-05-2020), upthesaukee (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default So so

My experience with them has been so so, perhaps disappointing would be a better term.

I went to them for winterizing and shrink wrapping I think 4 years ago. I thought they were a little expensive on the winterizing, but especially on the shrink wrapping. I asked if they would be contacting me about commissioning the boat in the spring. Yes they would. Nothing. Must have fallen through the cracks.

Next two years, perhaps 3, same thing. I'm pretty easy going but I ended up feeling that they certainly liked my money, but providing service to their customers, at least to me, maybe not so much.

I went elsewhere the next year and the only thing I did with them was register the boat.

Others seem to like Irwin, perhaps they don't deal with Irwin Alton Bay.

Dave

PS, welcome to the forum.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Cal Coon

I have dealt with them twice so far, (Alton location). Once for snowmobile service, and once for boat service. I was very happy with both repairs, however, I thought the boat repair was a little pricey, but they turned it around in less than 2 wks in the peak of the boating season. I was grateful for that. The snowmobile service was actually less than what I was expecting to pay, and they turned that one around in less than 2 weeks as well in the peak of snowmobile season, although I have a spare sled, so it didn't matter that much. That doesn't happen very often...!!! All in all, I have been pretty happy with them, and would use them again. One thing that I can really appreciate about them is that they did everything they said they were going to do, and there were no "surprises" that ended up costing more $ than they estimated. I don't usually have that kind of luck...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 05-04-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
Winilyme

Default Meh

They were our first stop when shopping for a new jet ski last year around this time. The salesperson we talked to during several visits seemed rather, well, disinterested. Nothing flagrant but nothing there really got our juices flowing. Also, very small showroom with limited on-site units - although they did bring in one jet ski that we especially wanted to see. I haven't been to their Laconia location but I don't believe they sell jet skis there.

We ended up buying at HK in Laconia.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Sundancer320 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Just Sold

I purchased a used 18' boat from Irwin Alton 8 +/- years ago and was not overly impressed with them. Prices seemed higher for service, parts etc. The technicians were very good and helpul. I dealt with the manager and was not impressed with him. He was rude, and not interested in my purchase except that he was making a sale.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
codeman671

I stopped in this weekend to inquire about a boat and felt that the sales rep in Alton was a dick. Have experienced it with other people there in the past as well on the sales side. All of the guys (Jason, Justin and Raj) in Laconia for sales are great.

My service experience last year was dreadful.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I think I see the difference

I think I see the difference in locations. Judging from good comments about Irwin Lakeport, it's a tale of two cities.

Irwin Alton Bay was an acquisition by Irwin Lakeport. It was formally Hillside Marine on rte 28A. Their current location in the bay was Gillan Marine.

The culture that was built over decades in Lakeport unfortunately did not manifest itself in Alton Bay. It almost seems that no one oversees the customer service in the bay.

Ernie Gillan Sr did, in my opinion, a great job working with customers. That service evidently was not included when Irwin bought the business.

Too bad.

Dave
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
JADAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
They were our first stop when shopping for a new jet ski last year around this time. The salesperson we talked to during several visits seemed rather, well, disinterested. Nothing flagrant but nothing there really got our juices flowing. Also, very small showroom with limited on-site units - although they did bring in one jet ski that we especially wanted to see. I haven't been to their Laconia location but I don't believe they sell jet skis there.

We ended up buying at HK in Laconia.
My son was ready to purchase a new jet ski and went to Irwin’s in the Bay. The ski he wanted was crated outside and not visible to look at.
Salesperson demanded he put a $500 deposit to uncrate and make the ski viewable!!! Are you kidding me?!
We walked out and the next day was on the lake with an awesome sea doo spark from HK!!!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (05-05-2020), upthesaukee (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
iw8surf

I don't get surprised when I hear negative stories. After dealing with numerous marinas on both Lake Winni and Winnisquam they all equally have their bad apples. I've had awesome sales experience which followed up with HORRIBLE service and then other places horrible sales with great service and some that were just all around horrible or all around great.

Sadly I think we live in a time where we need them more than they need our business so "losing" a customer and fearing some bad internet reviews is no sweat to them anymore. If we were in hard times it may be different but the industry isn't hurting right now.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default In the mid 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
I don't get surprised when I hear negative stories. After dealing with numerous marinas on both Lake Winni and Winnisquam they all equally have their bad apples. I've had awesome sales experience which followed up with HORRIBLE service and then other places horrible sales with great service and some that were just all around horrible or all around great.

Sadly I think we live in a time where we need them more than they need our business so "losing" a customer and fearing some bad internet reviews is no sweat to them anymore. If we were in hard times it may be different but the industry isn't hurting right now.
Money was flowing around here. EVERYBODY was buying a boat. If there was ever a time (in Lakes Region boat selling history) when a marina could have performed as if they didn't NEED your business, it was then.

My sales manager had a catch phrase that was pervasive throughout the business- "We don't sell boats, we sell FUN!

And, man, did we!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Present Day

Boat dealers will be taking a huge hit this year. Many boat manufacturers have stopped producing boats for the year and unfortunately I think quite a few will not survive this... on the other hand if your in the market for a boat now is the time to buy especially an inventory boat! Manufacturers, dealers and motor producers are offering huge and crazy discounts to buy what’s on the floor.

I would think most marinas that sell boats would be welcoming any potential customer who comes through the door with open arms! Stay away from the ones that treated you poorly when times were good...

Dan
FlyingScot (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Must disagree. Made a few calls. Pricing is the same as when we looked around last winter. Believe the limited supply of new boats are keeping prices high. Thinking once the season starts and inventory is still on the land things may change

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Must disagree. Made a few calls. Pricing is the same as when we looked around last winter. Believe the limited supply of new boats are keeping prices high. Thinking once the season starts and inventory is still on the land things may change

Just curious...how recently have you looked?? Also calling never gets the same results as showing up in person.

Honestly if you haven’t been seriously looking in person within the last few weeks, go out and check again...I think you will be surprised!

Good luck!

Dan
Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #16
WinnisquamZ

Today

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #17
winnienox

I used to winter my sea ray boat there. Bought it there also. Terrible service. Stay away would be my recommendation. I posted a couple years ago about a particularly bad experience there. Maybe I can find that thread and add it here... good luck

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
winnienox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #18
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Today

A few dealers I have talked to have said that the plants were closed and they were expecting to come up short on ordered boats this season. Because of this the discounts weren’t as great. Basically trying to make the same end profit on less sales.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #19
TheTimeTraveler

I can tell you that the price of late model used CARS have come down in the last few weeks. The same is true for a new car sitting in the lot (not ordered).

I imagine the same issue is, or will be happening in the boat industry in the next few months.

A buyers market for automobiles and just maybe a buyers market for boats.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Hertz

Hertz and other car leasing companies are dumping a lot of cars on the market as they struggle due to lack of travelers. I don't see a parallel in boats.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote