Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Navigation Legality vs. Etiquette BUT Great Weekend

I've posted in the past about how I deal with "road rage" by just slowing down and letting things go, but this weekend my philosophy was very much required. There were three things that really tested my patience:

1. In The North, there are a lot of clearly defined channels of travel. Though the vessel coming from the starboard side may have the right of way, given that it's like entering an on-ramp, etiquette suggests drivers yield until it's safe to "get on the highway." I was forced to slow down/stop a few times which led to boats behind me backing up.

2. While tubing this morning, people kept coming close to us. Not just in terms of passing, but three other boats came near to wake surf, etc. when there was plenty of space not far off.

3. Anchoring/tubing in channels of travel. This was really bad this weekend. In fact, someone anchored in the center of the entrance to Hanson Cove, which, again, forced people to go around or stop or disturb people anchored in appropriate places.

I think we saw such a saturation point this weekend that the combination of new and inconsiderate boaters created a bit of craziness.

In all, though, we had three great days of boating: Thursday at West Alton with the in-laws and a Pop's chaser; Saturday on Jettie One with the kiddos and at night at Wolfeboro/Moultonborough Bay on Boatie Two with family and friends; and tubing/swimming with another group of friends today.

What an amazing weekend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Tuckntruck

While stopped waiting for kids to climb back on the tube over the weekend, there were times that I literally had to move my boat between and oncoming boat, to force them off the line that directly on course with the kids in the water and the tube 50ft behind us so that the kids don’t get run over.

(This is after slowing, turning back and dragging the tube to them, not like I cut in front of the other boat and the kids fell off there. Generally try to be out of the way)

You’d figure empty tube on the back of a boat would warrant some extra spacing in a quiet bay without a lot of traffic. Dunno.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuckntruck For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
8gv

Whenever you think you've seen it all don't worry, there will be more to see, every year.

I have not heard of any boating mishaps.

If that's the case somehow we all got through it ok.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-06-2020), thinkxingu (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Whenever you think you've seen it all don't worry, there will be more to see, every year.

I have not heard of any boating mishaps.

I was actually thinking of this just a little bit ago. Little victories.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
ApS

Exclamation Third-Hand Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

I have not heard of any boating mishaps

Maybe 10 days ago, a Jet-Ski off Parker's Island, Wolfeboro Neck, had a one-boat event.

In jumping a big wake, the operator did a "stuff" into the lake. His face hit the handlebars and was knocked unconscious. His passenger held his face above water.

Another Jet-Ski responded to the passenger's calls for help and assisted in loading the bloodied operator into a third responding boat.

According to my source (a neighbor) there's actually a name for this kind of Jet-Ski crash injury: it's called a "Scorpion".

Last edited by ApS; 07-27-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: fixed "Island" from Hurricane to Parker's
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
Grove84

Default Blocking Weirs Channel

Thursday evening got caught in the squall off Governors island slowed behind a pontoon boat to block the pontoon so he could pull in his three tubes and three kids only to watch the boat running in my wake having to turn sharp to starboard due to not watching what was happening . Thought that was the worst of it until heading through the channel there is a boat parallel under the bridge , I asked when passing what was he he trying to accomplish?? Not get wet and stay out of the rain was his reply... 😐
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote