Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
donnamatrix
Senior Member
 
donnamatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonboro
Posts: 833
Thanks: 24
Thanked 258 Times in 120 Posts
Default Elvio's Pizza

Recently read a want-ad in the Laconia Sun for help for Elvio's Pizza, which is returning to Moultonboro ... is this the pizzeria that used to be in the Pat's Pizza location near Lemon Grass? Not sure where they are moving to.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 214
Thanks: 15
Thanked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Default

From a reliable source, the former Pat's Pizza has been taken over by Elvio's.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Senter Cove Guy
Senior Member
 
Senter Cove Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 530
Thanks: 220
Thanked 334 Times in 103 Posts
Default The Return Of Elvio's

That location WAS Elvio's 20 years ago. It was the best pizza. Hope it still is.
__________________
Lake Winni - The only place I want to be during the summer.
Senter Cove Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
DesertDweller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV and Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 281
Thanks: 17
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Glad to hear about this. Always liked Pat's food but they had to be the most disorganized people on the planet. Between losing orders and/or it not being ready any time close to when they said it would be it's a miracle I kept going back.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Senior Member
 
WINNOCTURN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Moultonboro
Posts: 849
Thanks: 349
Thanked 351 Times in 193 Posts
Default Please say it's TRUE!

Our Prayers have been answered! :lipl ick:
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Senior Member
 
WINNOCTURN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Moultonboro
Posts: 849
Thanks: 349
Thanked 351 Times in 193 Posts
Thumbs up Sign is up elvio"s is comming back!!!!!

Just drove by "PATS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Recently read a want-ad in the Laconia Sun for help for Elvio's Pizza, which is returning to Moultonboro ... is this the pizzeria that used to be in the Pat's Pizza location near Lemon Grass? Not sure where they are moving to.


SIGN IS UP, ELVIO'S IS COMMING BACK!!!

WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 214
Thanks: 15
Thanked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Just drove by "PATS"





SIGN IS UP, ELVIO'S IS COMMING BACK!!!

Yes it is. Here is a photo of the sign.

Name:  !cid_35E479DD-6DD3-4F8B-818A-A16C1BC2345D.jpg
Views: 3558
Size:  59.9 KB
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
DesertDweller (04-11-2019), WINNOCTURN (04-11-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default Elvios

Ugh, Elvios has been in the MT Washington Valley for years. Its also the worst pizza in the valley. It has a reputation among valley regulars and locals. I think they are still in business because the one timers to the valley do not know any better. Stick with Picolo. Picolo owner also owned a restaurant in the MT Washington Valley before moving to Moultonboro but it was a sit down Italian fare establishment.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Charlie T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 249
Thanks: 136
Thanked 115 Times in 52 Posts
Default Totally Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Ugh, Elvios has been in the MT Washington Valley for years. Its also the worst pizza in the valley..
I totally disagree with your opinion of Elvios. I've been there many times and make it a point to stop there when I'm in the area. I welcome them back to the lakes region
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
sledneck
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Elvios is a close second to Salís. I love them both.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
Elvios is a close second to Salís. I love them both.
Love Sal's? I question your pizza judgment!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
rick35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bear Island/Merrimack
Posts: 562
Thanks: 29
Thanked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Wasnít there an Elvios at the Weirs across from the stairs years ago? Went once and had to grab a handful of napkins to sop up the grease. Had the same experience at Zackys and the place at the plaza on 104. We havenít had a good pizza experience at the lake so we donít think pizza when we eat out.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #13
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,122
Thanks: 14
Thanked 144 Times in 104 Posts
Default

I dont know why you should question his judgement. Question his taste. I like salís also i guess you then question my judgement
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #14
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Pizza is a very personal food. I donít think much of the pizza in the lakes region is very good so I donít really eat it there. Although with all the positive comments I will try piccolo.

It isnít like a steak weíre it is much less subjective. Generally you either have a good piece of meat or not and itís cook properly or not. Pizza has way too many variables.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #15
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I dont know why you should question his judgement. Question his taste. I like salís also i guess you then question my judgement
It was a joke.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 540
Thanked 365 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Pizza is a very personal food. I donít think much of the pizza in the lakes region is very good so I donít really eat it there. Although with all the positive comments I will try piccolo.

It isnít like a steak weíre it is much less subjective. Generally you either have a good piece of meat or not and itís cook properly or not. Pizza has way too many variables.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The only pizza I found to my liking in the lakes region was at Nolan's Bistro in Wolfboro. Other than that I haven't found a pizza worth bragging about. I will have to try Piccolo's market though.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default lakes region pizza

Nolans is good, Guisseppes is good, in my opinion but the best pizza I have had in the lakes region if you can call Plymouth the lakes region is the Last Chair and they have a craft/micro brewery. Check it out.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Nolans is good, Guisseppes is good, in my opinion but the best pizza I have had in the lakes region if you can call Plymouth the lakes region is the Last Chair and they have a craft/micro brewery. Check it out.
I’ve had Giuseppe’s it’s not bad it’s hard to say pizza is good in the area for me anyway when I have had awesome pizza in NY, Boston and Chicago. Nothing I’ve tasted compares. Wining Butcher has brick oven at the Meredith location that is ok also.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 540
Thanked 365 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I’ve had Giuseppe’s it’s not bad it’s hard to say pizza is good in the area for me anyway when I have had awesome pizza in NY, Boston and Chicago. Nothing I’ve tasted compares. Wining Butcher has brick oven at the Meredith location that is ok also.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I think Giuseppe's pizza is terrible, not a fan at all. I haven't tried the Wining Butcher's pizza yet. I like my pizza well done so generally I like the brick oven pizza places the best. I hate soggy pizza!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 805
Thanks: 14
Thanked 88 Times in 63 Posts
Default

It's been awhile since I've eaten their pizza and cheese steaks but I found that Pizza Express in Gilford did a good job with both.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #21
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I think Giuseppe's pizza is terrible, not a fan at all. I haven't tried the Wining Butcher's pizza yet. I like my pizza well done so generally I like the brick oven pizza places the best. I hate soggy pizza!
I have never had a soggy pizza at Giussepe's. I have had very soggy, terrible pizza at the Elvios in North Conway.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #22
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 540
Thanked 365 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I have never had a soggy pizza at Giussepe's. I have had very soggy, terrible pizza at the Elvios in North Conway.
I didn't mean to imply I had soggy pizza at Giuseppe's . I just don't like their pizza or their food for that matter. Maybe I was a little harsh with "terrible" but I'm not a fan and It's the closest pizza place to me, about a mile. I guess I'm just spoiled because pizza places in the Boston area are so good.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 135
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

My go-to pizza test is sausage and peppers (preferably green/red pepper mix) w/fennel spiced sausage.

If you've never had Pepe's- New Haven, Ct.- you've never had pizza! The large were served on huge rectangular pans.

Piccolo's has very good!

Wining Butcher has very good (taste and price), thin-crust pepperoni (I usually ask to make sure they cover the WHOLE pie with meat)

I love Guisseppe's Chicken Florentine!!! It gets expensive!- but m-m-m-m-m!

I'm looking forward to giving the, by me, untried pizzas mentioned here, using my sausage/peppers taste test.

Back in the day, the pizza guys would toss the dough, spread sauce, sprinkle cheese, and then grab handfuls of sausage/peppers and pinch off pieces to toss on top before cooking.

These old-time pizzas were big, and oily (greasy?)- but oh, man!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #24
sledneck
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Sorry, I have to admit I totally forgot about Nolans. Awesome pizza. And come on, Salís is awesome. Convenient too when gassing up at the Weirs and grabbing a couple slices.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #25
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 540
Thanked 365 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Santarpios is my all time favorite pizza place, wish they had one in the lakes region. Regina is also on the top of my list of favorites.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #26
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

I like most pizza. It's like the lake--even at its worst, it's still pretty awesome.

That being said, my current top 5 (not in order): 1. Veria, plain cheese, Hudson; 2. Bertucci's Ultimate Bertucci; 3. Piccolo, plain cheese, Center Harbor; 4. The Mug Pub, chicken finger and meatball, Meredith; 5. Pizzico, grilled chicken and meatball, Merrimack/Nashua.

I really like Sal's BBQ chicken, but it's just not consistent.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #27
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Long Island, NY is littered with excellent pizza but my all time favorites are:
1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY
2) Dad's, Brick oven in my father's backyard LI, NY
3) Lou Malnati's, Chicago

Sorry nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Long Island, NY is littered with excellent pizza but my all time favorites are:

1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY

2) Dad's, Brick oven in my father's backyard LI, NY

3) Lou Malnati's, Chicago

Sorry nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO
Sounds like I need to try Wining Butcher and, when it's up and running, Elvio's!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #29
jr616
Senior Member
 
jr616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Default Give them all a try!

Why not give them a chance to open and try them out.

Try them ALL out - Wine'ing Butcher, Sals, Gusippees, Mug, Elivios, Ellacoya, GHOP.

The best thing we can do if give business to our local eateries! If it's not up to par - let them know. They may make changes that make them better.

Don't rush to judge before the place even opens.

Pizza IMHO - is always a blessing
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
kayaking1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
I totally disagree with your opinion of Elvios. I've been there many times and make it a point to stop there when I'm in the area. I welcome them back to the lakes region
Agree! I work in North Conway and Elvio's is GREAT! Looking forward to welcoming them to Moultonborough......
kayaking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 AM   #31
Overlake97
Senior Member
 
Overlake97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford
Posts: 222
Thanks: 132
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default Great, but not close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Santarpios is my all time favorite pizza place, wish they had one in the lakes region.
Iíd second that. 👍 Santarpios is near Logan Airport in Boston; a real ďold schoolĒ type place. If they were closer, Iíd never go anywhere else. 😋😋
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 AM   #32
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Anyone know when Elvio's opens?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #33
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 200
Thanks: 32
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
I’d second that. �� Santarpios is near Logan Airport in Boston; a real “old school” type place. If they were closer, I’d never go anywhere else. ����
Actually Santarpios has a second location also; it is on Route 1 Northbound in the Peabody stretch just past Wendy's.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #34
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 17
Thanked 161 Times in 102 Posts
Default

My kids have tried the Peabody location. Say it isnít as good as E. Boston


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #35
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 540
Thanked 365 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
My kids have tried the Peabody location. Say it isnít as good as E. Boston


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I agree but it's still better than most other pizza shops around.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #36
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default lakes region pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Long Island, NY is littered with excellent pizza but my all time favorites are:
1) Patsy's, Brooklyn NY
2) Dad's, Brick oven in my father's backyard LI, NY
3) Lou Malnati's, Chicago

Sory nothing in the lakes regions make my list but I will give honorable mention to Wining Butcher and I will try Piccolo the next time I am in the area, Sorry Sal's is just OK at best IMO
drive up to Plymouth and try The Last Chair, they have wood fired pizza and they make their own dough. The best pizza I have had. And they have a brewery and serve their own craft beer. Its a great place.

Last edited by Taz; 04-30-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #37
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
drive up to Plymouth and try The Last Chair, they have wood fired pizza and they make their own dough. The best pizza I have had. And they have a brewery and serve their own craft beer. Its a great place.
I will give it a try but I doubt it can beat my fathers dough (with New York water), mom's sauce and the best fresh mozzarella. In a brick oven he built and designed himself.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #38
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I will give it a try but I doubt it can beat my fathers dough (with New York water), mom's sauce and the best fresh mozzarella. In a brick oven he built and designed himself.
Nothing can compete with homemade but you were talking about Lakes Region pizza, not homemade NY pizza. I think Picolo is very good. Definitely better than average but I think The Last Chair is better than Picolo. IMO. Plus the Beer! Even if you don't like the pizza if your a craft beer fan its worth the trip just for a quality beer.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #39
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Nothing can compete with homemade but you were talking about Lakes Region pizza, not homemade NY pizza. I think Picolo is very good. Definitely better than average but I think The Last Chair is better than Picolo. IMO. Plus the Beer! Even if you don't like the pizza if your a craft beer fan its worth the trip just for a quality beer.
OK I will try both this season and report back the results plus have a couple of beers


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #40
CL 240 LS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 94
Thanks: 13
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

The new Elvios sign was being installed today. Hope they open soon!
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #41
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 135
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Santarpio's too!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #42
ACME on the Broads
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 38
Thanks: 57
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default Thrilled Elvio's in BACK!!!!!

We loved Elvio's, the pizza was our Moultonboro fix back in the early 90's until they closed. While not Regina or Santarpios, we always had good experiences there and frankly never left disappointed.

Here's wishing them well; I'm sure it will become a multiple x weekly meal at our home and for many others in and around Moultonborough.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #43
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,122
Thanks: 14
Thanked 144 Times in 104 Posts
Default

I agree with you and to me it was always good but Piccolo's is also very good. Too long ago to compare but I hope that do well. I really never liked the successor
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #44
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

It would be nice to have a decent pizza place on the way to camp. I like Piccolo a lot, but they don't have much of a sitting space.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #45
kawishiwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 482
Thanks: 193
Thanked 127 Times in 86 Posts
Default Differing tastes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I like most pizza. It's like the lake--even at its worst, it's still pretty awesome.

That being said, my current top 5 (not in order): 1. Veria, plain cheese, Hudson; 2. Bertucci's Ultimate Bertucci; 3. Piccolo, plain cheese, Center Harbor; 4. The Mug Pub, chicken finger and meatball, Meredith; 5. Pizzico, grilled chicken and meatball, Merrimack/Nashua.

I really like Sal's BBQ chicken, but it's just not consistent.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Really, Veria's? In Hudson NH? Weirdest pizza I have ever had, hands down, in my 58 years and that includes a LOT of pizza. That time span includes working during college at a Godfathers pizza where, I thought, we broke new ground in Weird pizza on the slow days. For me Verias was my second worst pizza experence behind only a ready to bake pizza I bought in Kazahkstan in a 7-11 like store. They had NO clue
More to the point of the thread, I recently tried Piccolos and found it to be excellent. Reminiscent of the pizzas of my childhood near Chicago.
__________________
...in my great and unmatched wisdom...
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #46
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Really, Veria's? In Hudson NH? Weirdest pizza I have ever had, hands down, in my 58 years and that includes a LOT of pizza. That time span includes working during college at a Godfathers pizza where, I thought, we broke new ground in Weird pizza on the slow days. For me Verias was my second worst pizza experence behind only a ready to bake pizza I bought in Kazahkstan in a 7-11 like store. They had NO clue
More to the point of the thread, I recently tried Piccolos and found it to be excellent. Reminiscent of the pizzas of my childhood near Chicago.
Yes! It's the closest (Greek) pizza I've had to a childhood joint called Jimmy's in Dracut, MA. EVERY Friday until my teens--we weren't well off, so takeout pizza was a treat--we'd get a large hamburger, French fries, and an American sub for Dad. The original owners abruptly sold and new owners changed the recipe sometime in my mid-teens, and we never went back. I can still smell the pizza--I always held it on my lap--and my dad, who would pick me up directly after work smelling like machine oil.

Nostalgia makes everything taste better.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (05-09-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #47
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 214
Thanks: 15
Thanked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Elvioís is now open.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #48
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Elvioís is now open.
Wish we'd known that--just stopping at Hannaford for dinner now!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #49
Greene's Basin Girl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 1,514
Thanks: 394
Thanked 526 Times in 268 Posts
Default

I bought a steak and cheese sub there today. it was packed full with steak and it was very good. It should be though as it cost over $10.00 with tax
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #50
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default

I stopped and grabbed a couple of pizzas from Elvios Tuesday- very good. Even better was the news that they are delivering within 10 miles! I know for some of our members this is not a big deal, but we cannot get any food delivered in Moultonberry currently.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Jersey Guy (06-10-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #51
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 214
Thanks: 15
Thanked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Elvio's in Moultonborough was our go to place for take our pizza before it closed years ago. Happy to see it open again. However, for a comparison, we ordered our usual pizza, sausage, mushroom and onion from Elvio's a few days ago to compare it to Piccolo's version of the same pizza. While Elvio's seemed to have more of the sausage than Piccolo's, it is a second to Piccolo's version. Have not tried any of the other items on the Elvio's menu and it is good to have another local option.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (06-03-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #52
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Went to Elvio's tonight, and the pizza and wings were great. My only issue--and this really bugs me--is that there's no table service, but, when paying, a tip section is prompted.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #53
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 794
Thanks: 238
Thanked 284 Times in 134 Posts
Default I agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Went to Elvio's tonight, and the pizza and wings were great. My only issue--and this really bugs me--is that there's no table service, but, when paying, a tip section is prompted.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
The concept of tipping for paying for a take out is a strange concept. It's just an increase in the cost of the product. How about tipping the cashiers at Hannafords? Maybe a tip for the toll attendants on Rt. 93?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #54
Overlake97
Senior Member
 
Overlake97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford
Posts: 222
Thanks: 132
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default Prompted?

Do you mean there was a tip line on the slip that you total and then sign? If so, just ignore it. They probably canít stop that, given their cash register set up, and wonít be expecting a tip anyway.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #55
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default Elvio's Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Went to Elvio's tonight, and the pizza and wings were great. My only issue--and this really bugs me--is that there's no table service, but, when paying, a tip section is prompted.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Credit card machines are not sophisticated enough to print the tip for a delivery order and not for a pick up at the counter. Just ignore it I’m sure they are not expecting a tip at the counter nor is Elvios trying to pro-port tips for their counter employees. Although if they get one I’m sure the employees don’t mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #56
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,661
Thanks: 852
Thanked 410 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Places I frequent for take out all have a tip jar near the register. I always tip ďsomethingĒ for good (and friendly) interactions for take out. May be loose change or a buck or two depending on what I spend. At Piccolo I usually tip $5 because itís so good and they go out of their way to be pleasant and accommodating.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #57
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Places I frequent for take out all have a tip jar near the register. I always tip ďsomethingĒ for good (and friendly) interactions for take out. May be loose change or a buck or two depending on what I spend. At Piccolo I usually tip $5 because itís so good and they go out of their way to be pleasant and accommodating.
Tip jars are great/fine, but this machine prompted a tip and it took a couple button presses to get by it.

For a moment, I felt like getting off a boat in Jamaica!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #58
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,122
Thanks: 14
Thanked 144 Times in 104 Posts
Default

I think it must be the default on credit cards. I know I stopped at the airport in Las Vegas at the airport liquor store and when I used the credit card up came the line for tip. The attendant said it was optional ( duhh) . Sometimes it makes you want to just use cash.
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #59
hilltopper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meredith
Posts: 671
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Tip jars are great/fine, but this machine prompted a tip and it took a couple button presses to get by it.

For a moment, I felt like getting off a boat in Jamaica!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
I just noticed this at Sub Crazy in Meredith. Something new they're doing or a new system they have. I thought it was quite annoying. It was also uncomfortable hitting the skip button with the employee staring at you. Wonder if he spit in my sub?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #60
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I just noticed this at Sub Crazy in Meredith. Something new they're doing or a new system they have. I thought it was quite annoying. It was also uncomfortable hitting the skip button with the employee staring at you. Wonder if he spit in my sub?
Should not be anymore uncomfortable than having a tip jar on the counter and not making a contribution
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #61
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,480
Thanks: 662
Thanked 679 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Should not be anymore uncomfortable than having a tip jar on the counter and not making a contribution
There's definitely a difference--one is passive, one is active; one *appears* to be expected, one does not.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #62
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 452
Thanked 551 Times in 372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
There's definitely a difference--one is passive, one is active; one *appears* to be expected, one does not.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Correct but in both cases you are in front of the employee at the counter and they know immediately if you are or are not tipping them
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #63
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,661
Thanks: 852
Thanked 410 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I Wonder if he spit in my sub?
Hah...youíll never know will you? Either way, if any employee ever got caught doing that he/she might regret it. There are cameras everywhere but if you choose to eat out, itís a risk you take. I do tip and make sure someone sees me put cash in the jar...I also say out loud ď a little something for you!Ē
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #64
ACME on the Broads
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 38
Thanks: 57
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default Back to the pizza

Years back, we used to frequent Elvio's regularly; this past week, we ordered two large pizzas and they were just OK; cold, light on the sauce and generally disappointed by the quality; just not what we remembered. I know we'll give them another shot because everyone can have an off experience. Truth is we have never tried Piccolos, we will now and compare the two.

Here's hoping Elvio's can restore their once incredible pizza and together, they and Piccolos can compete for bragging rights for the best Pizza in Moultonborough.

Wishing both good luck and success.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-28-2019), mhtranger (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #65
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,661
Thanks: 852
Thanked 410 Times in 263 Posts
Default

When in Center Harbor/Moultonborough I would not go anywhere but Piccoloís.
Why even ďtryĒ a newcomer when you KNOW the quality of the Piccolo product?
I travel a good distance when I get the Piccolo craving!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.22312 seconds