Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Eagle Fishing

Article and video on NH1:

http://nh1.com/news/new-hampshire/56...-winnipesaukee
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (06-28-2018), pjard (06-28-2018), Rattlesnake Gal (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #2
pjard

That's very cool
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
fatlazyless

…..say-hey.....seen two huge, mega-gigundic, black & white bald eagles circling, circling, circling, circling, circling about 300-400-500 feet above Meredith Bay adjacent to the Inn at Church Point, from the public waterfront walkway down there ….. had to be looking for a fish to attack while circling about …..but there was no fish to attack …. boo-hoo for the two hungry big bald eagles!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
…..say-hey.....seen two huge, mega-gigundic, black & white bald eagles circling, circling, circling, circling, circling about 300-400-500 feet above Meredith Bay adjacent to the Inn at Church Point, from the public waterfront walkway down there ….. had to be looking for a fish to attack while circling about …..but there was no fish to attack …. boo-hoo for the two hungry big bald eagles!
Don't feel bad for them... they like cat.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Tracking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I think they were just trying to figure out where you live...
Old 12-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I bet they like Cheez-Its!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
fatlazyless

No, bald eagles seem to be very weary of people, and do not hang around or let you get anywhere near close enough to flip them a Chez-it.

Having said that, I betcha they would very much like the cheesy salty taste if they could get over their weariness, or distrust, and just give one a trial taste ..... just one little nibble .... and they be totally hooked on Chez-its. Puh-lease Mr Human ...... gimme a Chez-it!

Once, I tossed a large drowned grey squirrel out onto the ice, in February, knowing that two-three eagles were in the area. And, the largest of the three eagles watched it for like 30-minutes from a distance of 50-yards, Mr Eagle could not believe his eyes, it was look'n and look'n and look'n, before going directly to it and snatching it away, hauling it out to the middle of the frozen water, and then he ate the entire squirrel without sharing with the other two eagles. Eagles are very weary birds ..... just the opposite of the very adventurous Canada goose.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
tis

True story about the squirrel?
Old 12-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Yes, really true, about ten years ago or something, trapped the squirrel in a have-a-heart trap and drowned it ...... was surprised the large eagle after noticing it took like 30-minutes out on the ice of intently looking at it from a distance before getting into it. It looked like ithe eagle could not believe it was real or something ..... like what the h is that doing here ..... it did not believe it?

I wonder if an eagle is as smart as a crow, which seems to be quite alert or smart? Like two or three crows will work together to harass and pester the larger eagle, up in the air, and move it away from the area. Last winter, they say buzz off you big bad eagle you, and move it out across the water, back to Dolly Island, and the eagle would just rather switch than hang around and fight.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

True story about the squirrel?
Please don't feed the fish.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

You drowned the squirrel? Why? As a diver I am well versed in the mechanics of drowning and it was a horrible end to it's life.

You could have taken it in the trap a mile away and released it. Doing so would likely spell death for any babies it had but it's a better alternative than what you did.

That really sucks. Shame on you for such cruelty.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
TheBarnOnRustPond (03-25-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 04:53 AM   #12
ApS

Arrow Hours vs. Seconds...

Maybe you're familiar with the 19th century experiments by a Russian Behaviorist, who studied drowning rodents in his laboratory. Their final minutes were easy to empathize with, as their reactions were uncomfortably similar to what a human would feel.

But I suspect FLL drowned the squirrel within the trap, so the squirrel died of asphyxiation—no worse than the suffocation that outdoor cats deliver to their victims.

Still better than the "Bucket of Death" here: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=23810

Except that I wouldn't want FLL to accidentally hurt himself (or get bitten), faster methods of euthanasia can be located at builders of "miniatures":

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Please don't feed the fish.
OK.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
fatlazyless

After watching that grey squirrel, inside the have-a-heart steel cage/trap, take about 30-seconds to go through drowning, it gave me a strong appreciation for the panicked chaos of drowning. I'm a good strong swimmer and can swim two 25-meter laps underwater in a swim pool, doing the underwater breast stroke, but out on this big lake, with the wind, waves, and cold water, it ain't no 82-degree swimming pool. Wearing a pfd or a foam noodle swim belt is always a smart thing for boating in small vessels like a sup, kayak, or small sailboat.

No, no, no, just wait now, my memory got all messed up, and what I really did was I took that grey squirrel in my car, and drove it up to Camp Chips-Ahoy ..... up on Squam Lake ....up in Sandwich ....so's that grey squirrel could spend the whole summer playing with all the other squirrels....before going back into the forest in the last week of August........ and, setting off to a long, healthy, happy grey squirrel life, eat'n many many acorns ....... yes, now I remember ...... that's what I done did .... really! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-29-2018 at 10:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote