Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,436
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default Subway-Plymouth: 23 Years goodbye

From a distance it had that closed up type of a look ..... the insides was unlit and dark .... all the outside signs removed just leaving the empty frames ... peering in through the window .... all interior signs and food prep fixtures were missing .... and then I notices a printed note on the front door .... "Thanks for 23 great years here .... we are looking for another Plymouth location and in the meantime, come visit the Subway in the Plymouth Walmart."

Boo-hoo .... what a bummer .... too bad for the Plymouth Subway .... about three years ago, all the prices went up big time, going from a starter price of three to five dollars ..... way too expensive for a lot of regulars ..... and the business started to dry up ...... you could feel it ..... all the missing customers who disappeared with the price increases .... boo-hoo!

For three dollars plus the 9% tax, you used to get a meatball marinara 6" sub, loaded with everything including a freebie large cup of water ..... oh well!!! ..... then some loser in corporate mgmt went and changed all the prices with new, much higher, wack-a-doozie pricing.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

So you expect Subway to operate at a loss just so you can get your cheap $3 sub and free water. Seriously this from the one that laments why NH doesn't have more taxes and a $15.00 minimum wage?

FLL, welcome to reality, this stuff isn't free. YOU, the consumer, ultimately pays for it. So why the doom and gloom you're getting what you asked for. I think it's actually hilarious.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Crusty (05-30-2019), Major (05-30-2019), Top-Water (06-29-2019), Wifi-1 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,436
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

.....that Main St, Plymouth Subway had free ice cubes, too ...... you push-a the lever and the ice cubes slide down the little chute .... it was a quality ice machine .... probably an expensive item .... quality free mini ice cubes .... highest quality .... lowest price!

Maybe Subway could reappear by subletting space in the hardware store, out back in the grain & feed shack....where you can buy a quality bale of hay for your horse for six dollars ...... or a quality meatball marinara sub for the same price! ... except there's no 9% tax on hay ....
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 801
Thanks: 14
Thanked 87 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Maybe Subway could reappear by subletting space in the hardware store, out back in the grain & feed shack....where you can buy a quality bale of hay for your horse for six dollars ...... or a quality meatball marinara sub for the same price! ... except there's no 9% tax on hay ....
Newflash:

For the cost of a fishing license and some tackle (readily available at Wal-Mart on your side of the lake) you can have fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner any day of the week.

Now get to it.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 150
Thanks: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Well that’s 2 minutes of my life I will never get back...
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham, MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 258
Thanks: 5
Thanked 107 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So you expect Subway to operate at a loss just so you can get your cheap $3 sub and free water. Seriously this from the one that laments why NH doesn't have more taxes and a $15.00 minimum wage?

FLL, welcome to reality, this stuff isn't free. YOU, the consumer, ultimately pays for it. So why the doom and gloom you're getting what you asked for. I think it's actually hilarious.
You know he's the type to die with 3 million in the bank......saving every penny along the way and never enjoying it.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,470
Thanks: 660
Thanked 675 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Good riddance. I wish the one in Moultonborough would shutter and be replaced by a solid mom-and-pop.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Blyblvrd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Londonderry & Moultonborough
Posts: 90
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Subway Restaurants are Franchises that are independently owned and operated. We’ve had great experiences at the one in Moultonborough and wish them the best of luck as any local business needs its.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blyblvrd For This Useful Post:
Prestige Worldwide (07-02-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,122
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 1,375 Times in 688 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyblvrd View Post
Subway Restaurants are Franchises that are independently owned and operated. We’ve had great experiences at the one in Moultonborough and wish them the best of luck as any local business needs its.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As have I. I have had better sandwiches there than I have in mom and pop shops.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Crusty
Senior Member
 
Crusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus OH / Smiths Pt
Posts: 102
Thanks: 93
Thanked 133 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I note this quote from FLL's first post: "Thanks for 23 great years here .... we are looking for another Plymouth location and in the meantime, come visit the Subway in the Plymouth Walmart."

I think this tells us quite a lot.

1. They have been profitable long-term in Plymouth.
2. They still have a location in Plymouth.
3. They are looking to open another location in Plymouth.

My conclusion is that this is either a landlord/tenant issue or something has changed to reduce traffic into this particular store. Top probabilities:

1. Increase in rent.
2. After 23 years, the premises are in need of upgrades.
3. Location leased to another business that wants THAT location (and is willing to pay for it).
4. Building sold.

In general, I like Subway. Their sandwiches taste great, there's plenty of variety, and their prices remain reasonable (especially considering the rising costs of labor).
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,868
Thanks: 537
Thanked 362 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I note this quote from FLL's first post: "Thanks for 23 great years here .... we are looking for another Plymouth location and in the meantime, come visit the Subway in the Plymouth Walmart."

I think this tells us quite a lot.

1. They have been profitable long-term in Plymouth.
2. They still have a location in Plymouth.
3. They are looking to open another location in Plymouth.

My conclusion is that this is either a landlord/tenant issue or something has changed to reduce traffic into this particular store. Top probabilities:

1. Increase in rent.
2. After 23 years, the premises are in need of upgrades.
3. Location leased to another business that wants THAT location (and is willing to pay for it).
4. Building sold.

In general, I like Subway. Their sandwiches taste great, there's plenty of variety, and their prices remain reasonable (especially considering the rising costs of labor).
Plymouth State students are probably their biggest customer base. That's why they will try to stay in Plymouth.
My grandson went to Plymouth State and he said the schools food is terrible so Subway must be an upgrade.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #12
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,436
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

"Subway's store count has shrunk by more than 2000 since 2015."


Subway got too big ...... sabotaged meatballs .... the wrong soap


https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/b...anchisees.html

w/ about 223 internet comments down at the bottom which are some interesting comments
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Crusty (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #13
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 290
Thanks: 30
Thanked 77 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"Subway's store count has shrunk by more than 2000 since 2015."


Subway got too big ...... sabotaged meatballs .... the wrong soap


https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/b...anchisees.html

w/ about 223 internet comments down at the bottom which are some interesting comments
Sounds like they are having issues with the Subway Mafia...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 850
Thanked 409 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Subway may be convenient but sorry, the few times I have been (due to being in unfamiliar areas such as when working out of town) I have always thought that the sub that you “get” is never the same as what they portray on their TV ads.
Cold cuts ore okay but hot subs are always “pre-cooked” somehow and the meat is not good, in my opinion. Meatballs are pretty much okay and the same as everywhere else. Everything is weighed and the subs aren’t “stuffed” with the good stuff as you might get at a real sub shop. Again your mileage may vary and your tastes and expectations may be lesser than mine.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,470
Thanks: 660
Thanked 675 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Subway may be convenient but sorry, the few times I have been (due to being in unfamiliar areas such as when working out of town) I have always thought that the sub that you “get” is never the same as what they portray on their TV ads.

Cold cuts ore okay but hot subs are always “pre-cooked” somehow and the meat is not good, in my opinion. Meatballs are pretty much okay and the same as everywhere else. Everything is weighed and the subs aren’t “stuffed” with the good stuff as you might get at a real sub shop. Again your mileage may vary and your tastes and expectations may be lesser than mine.
Most every chain is the same: they move in to an area providing a great, often new, product and then, after a period of time, change the recipe. I remember when D'Angelo's came into Nashua some years ago. Their sausage and meatball sub was AWESOME, but it didn't take long for them to go downhill. Quiznos the same. Neither of those exist in the area anymore.

Marc's Subs in Merrimack, though--the son of the founder of Benedetti's in Haverhill--is doing marvelous business. There's no chain bureaucracy/shareholder junk, whatever, to interfere with good business.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
Blyblvrd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Londonderry & Moultonborough
Posts: 90
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Each Subway franchise is individually owned and while they must follow certain corporate standards they also have some independent choice in local offerings. Subway is a great company trying very hard to please it’s customers and rely on local OWNERS to succeed. I personally wish them the best of luck as much as the independently owned local business.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blyblvrd For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #17
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 701
Thanks: 435
Thanked 275 Times in 155 Posts
Default

I have no vested interest in the Subway Chain one way or the other, and for a while a few years back I often visited them with my son for a quick bite to eat once in a while.

Seems about the same time the stories about the distribution and receipt of child pornography, traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor broke out in the news about there major spokesperson we stopped going.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #18
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 850
Thanked 409 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I have no vested interest in the Subway Chain one way or the other, and for a while a few years back I often visited them with my son for a quick bite to eat once in a while.

Seems about the same time the stories about the distribution and receipt of child pornography, traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor broke out in the news about there major spokesperson we stopped going.
Oh yeah...THAT too...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 794
Thanks: 238
Thanked 284 Times in 134 Posts
Default Today's story on Subway in The SF Chron...

Bit of an insight that may effect Subways everywhere...

https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...e-14076769.php
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.28283 seconds