Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ....property taxes too high?

Hey there Bunky …… got your local NH quarterly property tax bill in the mail recently … and you is feel'n like you is pay'n too much ….. you is assessed too high ….. and your town assessor don't have a clue …… well, friend ….. yo is not alone with your sentiment …… why, just read this article in today's Sept 25 http://www.unionleader.com/business/...state-20180925 ….. so's you see, yo is not alone!

Bob's little waterfront cabin is assessed for $24,045,900 by the Town of Alton, and his annual property tax bill is $309,230.

Back in 2014 it was listed for sale at $49-million, and is now listed for sale at $8,900,000 …… a much more down-to-earth type of a price ….. and this newspaper article reports the recent change in federal tax law, signed into law on Dec 22, 2017, that limits the local property tax deduction to a $10,000-limit deducted from your federal income tax, effective this tax year-2018 ….. is not very helpful for making this property S-O-L-D.

You know, I can recall a newspaper quote from year-2000 or so, when the house was under construction where Bob said something like " Well you know, we really didn't want anything too fancy, just something simple where we can share the amazing long view down the lake with a few friends, every now and then."

Back in July and August, 1964, I by myself, used to sit there on that high, steep embankment edge of the lake's very long view atop Clay Point there, and watch the Uncle Sam and the Mount Washington chug past, headed to Wolfeboro or someplace. It is very much, quite the view!

Bob is suing the town over his assessment value.

Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor Bob!

Will be interesting to see how this gets adjudicated in court for property owner verses the town?

From the Union Leader article: "According to the complaint filed in Belknap County Superior Court on the Bahres' behalf by Attorney Margaret H. Nelson of Sulloway & Hollis of Concord, the assessments on "Longview" are excessive, disproportionate and unjust."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-25-2018 at 03:41 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey there Bunky …… got your local NH quarterly property tax bill in the mail recently … and you is feel'n like you is pay'n too much ….. you is assessed too high ….. and your town assessor don't have a clue …… well, friend ….. yo is not alone with your sentiment …… why, just read this article in today's http://www.unionleader.com/business/...state-20180925 ….. so's you see, yo is not alone!

Bob's little waterfront cabin is assessed for $24,045,900 by the Town of Alton, and his annual property tax bill is $309,230.

Back in 2014 it was listed for sale at 49-mil, and is now listed for sale at $8,900,000 …… a much more down-to-earth type of a price ….. and this newspaper article reports the recent change in federal tax law that limits the local property tax deduction to a $10,000-limit off your federal income tax, starting for tax year-2018 ….. is not very helpful for making this property SOLD.

Rich peoples problems.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It doesn't matter if your house is worth 20 million or 200K if the town has it over assessed it certainly will catch the eye of a potential buyer and would effect overall interest in the place. Everything is relative.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
laketrout (10-09-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Patofnaud

If assessed at $24M but he can't get $19M then yes, it is over assessed.

Assessed should be what it is worth now, not what it was worth 4 years ago, not what it is worth 10 years from now, what it is worth now.

The fact that the town gets over $300K (or any value from $1 to $300k) from someone who has minimal services provided by the town and no kids in school is another whole sin of a bad tax system. For another time. That and taxing farmers for what the property 'could be worth if we put 30 condo's on it, is another sin.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (09-25-2018), CubRun (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
That and taxing farmers for what the property 'could be worth if we put 30 condo's on it, is another sin.
That is inaccurate.

Read this and it explains what the current use property tax program is all about. Note that for anyone who is farming their property they can take advantage of the current use laws even if they have less than the currently required 10 acre minimum so long as they meet certain criteria.

https://extension.unh.edu/resources/...401_Rep423.pdf

Using this method to reduce annual property taxes is a choice.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Patofnaud

Correct Maxum, but IIRC Moultonboro residents (among others) are/were pushing hard to override that.

I should have stated that.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
MAXUM

Right because developers are getting mad there are large swaths of undeveloped property in prime locations they want to get their hands on and the only way to do that is to change the current use law to make it more financially difficult to hang on to raw property.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
Rusty

Should I start a gofundme for poor Bob?
I would start it off with a penny.
Biggd (09-25-2018), Utah Mark (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
jeffk

I would wonder if one town could modify current use. It seems like there has to equity across NH towns to maintain fair taxation. That seems to make it a state issue?

As to Bob Bahre's property, it should be properly appraised for its current value. I don't feel sorry or anything for Bob's "problem" but he deserves equal treatment under the property laws. I appealed my tax bill and got an abatement years ago. Everyone has that right. It feels like a little jealousy over someone's success is coming out. Too bad.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I would wonder if one town could modify current use. It seems like there has to equity across NH towns to maintain fair taxation. That seems to make it a state issue?

As to Bob Bahre's property, it should be properly appraised for its current value. I don't feel sorry or anything for Bob's "problem" but he deserves equal treatment under the property laws. I appealed my tax bill and got an abatement years ago. Everyone has that right. It feels like a little jealousy over someone's success is coming out. Too bad.
Not jealous but when you go big you're problems become bigger also. So he created his own problems by building something too big for the community and now it's the towns fault that he can't sell it?. I certainly don't feel bad for him but he's entitled to do what he has to do if he feels he's been singled out unfairly.

Last edited by Biggd; 09-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
MAXUM

Quote:
Whoa hold on a sec, the towns are the ones that come up with the budgets, those are voted on and approved by the residents. How is that not fair?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #12
loonguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Whoa hold on a sec, the towns are the ones that come up with the budgets, those are voted on and approved by the residents. How is that not fair?
I agree. In addition, people are free to pick which town they live in, and low property taxes are a big reason why I chose to live in Moultonborough.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-26-2018), CubRun (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #13
jeffk

Quote:
My apologies for not being accurate. It is not the taxation that needs to be fair or equal, it is the appraisal process and valuation of individual properties. A town cannot say, "Hey, here's a rich guy's house. Let's triple the valuation so we can tax him more.". The valuation is supposed to approximate actual market value as determined by uniform (across the state) methods.

My point was that I believe putting a property into current use is a state policy and a town cannot deny a property owner that option. I think the adjustment to valuation is also set at the state level. The RSA says the appraisals shall be set at "at valuations based upon the current use values established by the {state} board".

The tax rate is based on the spending of the town spread over the available tax base of property. If a town wants to spend itself into high taxation, that is certainly the right of its residents to decide that.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
Merrymeeting

Quote:
The tax rate is based on the spending of the town spread over the available tax base of property. If a town wants to spend itself into high taxation, that is certainly the right of its residents to decide that.
Oh if only it was that simple. Here's an example. Wolfeboro and New Durham are both part of the Gov. Wentworth Regional School district. In the case of New Durham, the school portion of the tax bill is more than 70% of the total bill.

Wolfeboro's tax rate $12.64

New Durham's tax rate $22.96

What drives the difference is that Wolfeboro has fewer kids in the system and a many, many more highly assessed properties that don't send kids to the schools. Given the number of votes on the school board, New Durham is often outvoted when it comes to voting down school increases. So we often have little control over the yearly increase in taxes, even when town spending remains constant.

Yes, there is always the option of opting out of the district, but the contract penalties would offset any advantage.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Oh if only it was that simple. Here's an example. Wolfeboro and New Durham are both part of the Gov. Wentworth Regional School district. In the case of New Durham, the school portion of the tax bill is more than 70% of the total bill.

Wolfeboro's tax rate $12.64

New Durham's tax rate $22.96

What drives the difference is that Wolfeboro has fewer kids in the system and a many, many more highly assessed properties that don't send kids to the schools. Given the number of votes on the school board, New Durham is often outvoted when it comes to voting down school increases. So we often have little control over the yearly increase in taxes, even when town spending remains constant.

Yes, there is always the option of opting out of the district, but the contract penalties would offset any advantage.
Merrymeeting, did you know that Tuftonboro pays the most per student in the district at $22,000. per student? Wolfeboro is next at 19,000. New Durham pays 14,266, Brookfield 15,282, Ossipee 11,799. I don't know about Effingham. These were from 2015 the latest figure available. The average cost per student in the district is 15,900. I wonder how Alton does with the new school?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Merrymeeting, did you know that Tuftonboro pays the most per student in the district at $22,000. per student? Wolfeboro is next at 19,000. New Durham pays 14,266, Brookfield 15,282, Ossipee 11,799. I don't know about Effingham. These were from 2015 the latest figure available. The average cost per student in the district is 15,900. I wonder how Alton does with the new school?
Hi Tis, no I didn't know those figures and I've been trying to understand the GWSD funding model for some time. It doesn't make sense to me that the cost/student would vary by town. If you have a link or pointer to how all this works, I'd appreciate a PM. Continuing this here would sidetrack the original discussion.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 09-30-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #17
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Here is the actual property listing....

https://www.beangroup.com/homes/142_...ex.html?cnt=16

The $309,230 tax bill is for two houses which includes the one that was built for the son. Between the two houses there are;
BEDS
FULL BATHS
HALF BATHS
3/4 Baths

Does anyone know what the other five properties that are owned in Alton are? I'm guessing that one is the Hannaford property?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #18
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Here is the actual property listing....

https://www.beangroup.com/homes/142_...ex.html?cnt=16

The $309,230 tax bill is for two houses which includes the one that was built for the son. Between the two houses there are;
BEDS
FULL BATHS
HALF BATHS
3/4 Baths

Does anyone know what the other five properties that are owned in Alton are? I'm guessing that one is the Hannaford property?

But it's the towns fault he can't sell it because the taxes are too high. I'm sure all his other bills are over the top also! How much do you think his landscaping bill is?
How many people need an estate that big?
The customer base for a property like that is pretty small.
Flylady (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Please note somethings in this discussion.....

Long view as a whole was for sale for 49 Million... that included both houses....

reading the article it appears that the two house are now on the market independantly at 8.9M a piece....giving us 17.8M price tag for the hole thing....

Still an ineradicable price reduction... but not as big as it would seem if you didn't take the time to comprehend the article.

Bottom line is, there is a process to object to your property tax bill... as long as the Bahres are going through that process, who cares........
Old 09-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Please note somethings in this discussion.....

Long view as a whole was for sale for 49 Million... that included both houses....

reading the article it appears that the two house are now on the market independantly at 8.9M a piece....giving us 17.8M price tag for the hole thing....

Still an ineradicable price reduction... but not as big as it would seem if you didn't take the time to comprehend the article.

Bottom line is, there is a process to object to your property tax bill... as long as the Bahres are going through that process, who cares........
It doesn't really matter what you put it on the market for. In the end it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That is yet to be determined.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
AC2717

chaps my butt,
regardless of wealth taxes should be on a level playing field, If they feel it is not taxed right, as said above go through the process, I cannot say either way whether they were gut punched with it or not, nor could anyone except the assesor and even then they have different feelings.

lets discuss feelings and bills, two should never be mixed but for some reason the #1 bill, taxes, is. Why can't taxes be flat based: this per acre of land this per square feet. Why if someone improves the property more than someone else, and spending their already taxed money to due so (yes I say taxed because NH people sill have to pay Federal income tax) why are they then taxed again on what they spent their money on.
The same guy who does nothing to the same sqfeet and acerage is paying less taxes than this guy for the same amount of land and square feet.

Leaning most and more and more people to say why improve and why make my land make the town look better, they are only going to take money away from me.

again taxes should be based on per acre or size of land and how much square feet the building in, then you can vary from there on land use rates

not whether I have granite and marble and that guy has laminates and vinyl

(soap box stepped off of)
Old 09-30-2018, 02:58 AM   #22
ushaggerb

Default Why did you write this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
But it's the towns fault he can't sell it because the taxes are too high. I'm sure all his other bills are over the top also! How much do you think his landscaping bill is?
How many people need an estate that big?
The customer base for a property like that is pretty small.
Go to Southeast LA. Go to East Cleveland. Go to South Chicago. Ask those people what they make of your financial problems. They'd be throwing stones at you. You have financial problems they only wish they could have. You probably complain about the fact you got overcharged for a burger yesterday. They didn't eat yesterday. You complain about your car having engine problems. They don't own one. You've created a whole forum on targeting some guy regarding his "lucky" problems. Why?
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Default ...... $847 dollars-a-day..... yo-ho-ho!

Well ...... the Town of Alton gets $847/day, paid by Bob, everyday of the year, regardless the weather, and with the new tax change, none of it is deductible off his federal taxes starting January 11, 2019, on a day by day basis.

January 11 to December 31, day after day after day after day ..... $847/day paid to the Town of Alton ...... this money should be well spent and do a lot of good things for the people of the Town of Alton.

Bob has hired an experienced attorney and filed suit against the town in Belknap Superior Court to try to get his property tax bill lowered to what it should be, so's he can sell Longview to a buyer. Apparently, no one wants to be paying $847/day in real non-deductible money from Jan 11- Dec 31 for Longview. The $10,000 deductible limit goes into effect starting on January 11 for Bob because his Alton property tax is $309,230/year.

After all, when one gets hungry for lunch, you cannot eat the view.

Back in the day, a big view like this at a state park would have a pedestal mounted binocular on a swivel, somewhat similar to a rangefinder on a navy warship, and you would drop a dime into the slot to turn on the big view ...... yo-ho-ho!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-30-2018 at 06:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
barefootbay (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushaggerb View Post
Go to Southeast LA. Go to East Cleveland. Go to South Chicago. Ask those people what they make of your financial problems. They'd be throwing stones at you. You have financial problems they only wish they could have. You probably complain about the fact you got overcharged for a burger yesterday. They didn't eat yesterday. You complain about your car having engine problems. They don't own one. You've created a whole forum on targeting some guy regarding his "lucky" problems. Why?
Hmmm...the places you mention in your own rant are all bastions of democratic control...places that have, through poor management, and extremely, liberal policies have degraded to third world conditions while the “leaders” of these ****-holes walk by human feces, vomit and drugged out bodies to get to their subways and home to their gated mansions. Why?

Last edited by Hillcountry; 09-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-30-2018), ushaggerb (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #25
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Hmmm...the places you mention in your own rant are all bastions of democratic control...places that have, through poor management, and extremely, liberal policies have degraded to third world conditions while the “leaders” of these ***-holes walk by human feces, vomit and drugged out bodies to get to their subways and home to their gated mansions. Why?
LOL... most don't have a clue what you just said!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #26
MAXUM

Quote:
My apologies for not being accurate. It is not the taxation that needs to be fair or equal, it is the appraisal process and valuation of individual properties. A town cannot say, "Hey, here's a rich guy's house. Let's triple the valuation so we can tax him more.". The valuation is supposed to approximate actual market value as determined by uniform (across the state) methods.

My point was that I believe putting a property into current use is a state policy and a town cannot deny a property owner that option. I think the adjustment to valuation is also set at the state level. The RSA says the appraisals shall be set at "at valuations based upon the current use values established by the {state} board".

I'm not terribly familiar with the current use option other than knowing that it is an option and if I understand correctly it is not a no strings attached tax reduction.

First if I understand this correctly - the actual "real" value of the property is still part of the overall assessment just that what is actually paid out is a fraction of the actual current tax rate. At least that is what is indicated in the link I sent out previously.

Second you're not allowed to build on any property that is in a current use state, it is intended to give tax incentive to open and or green space with the caveat that it also has to remain open to public use. I think there may be some wiggle room far as posting the property for certain use such as no hunting but I'm fairly certain you cannot post it with no trespassing signs.

Third - there is a process to plow any property into current use, I am not aware of what that process is and whether or not the town or state has the ability to disapprove. I assume if you have to apply for it there is somebody making a yes or no decision?

The state does mandate all towns re-assess every year so that the valuations are somewhat real time. Before this was established some towns were apparently assessing more often then others and I believe this was pointed out when the whole Clairmont school funding case hit the courts. Some towns cried foul... and part of that was likely because of the redistribution of tax dollars from so called rich towns to so called poor towns.

I find it rather disgusting that some complain about so called "rich" people which is a very relative term trying to establish a fair assessment on their property. Just remember that whatever your worth, there is somebody out there who has less who would consider you to be "rich". The tax system needs to function independent, fair to all no matter what a person's net worth happens to be.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #27
Biggd

Quote:
I'm not terribly familiar with the current use option other than knowing that it is an option and if I understand correctly it is not a no strings attached tax reduction.

First if I understand this correctly - the actual "real" value of the property is still part of the overall assessment just that what is actually paid out is a fraction of the actual current tax rate. At least that is what is indicated in the link I sent out previously.

Second you're not allowed to build on any property that is in a current use state, it is intended to give tax incentive to open and or green space with the caveat that it also has to remain open to public use. I think there may be some wiggle room far as posting the property for certain use such as no hunting but I'm fairly certain you cannot post it with no trespassing signs.

Third - there is a process to plow any property into current use, I am not aware of what that process is and whether or not the town or state has the ability to disapprove. I assume if you have to apply for it there is somebody making a yes or no decision?

The state does mandate all towns re-assess every year so that the valuations are somewhat real time. Before this was established some towns were apparently assessing more often then others and I believe this was pointed out when the whole Clairmont school funding case hit the courts. Some towns cried foul... and part of that was likely because of the redistribution of tax dollars from so called rich towns to so called poor towns.

I find it rather disgusting that some complain about so called "rich" people which is a very relative term trying to establish a fair assessment on their property. Just remember that whatever your worth, there is somebody out there who has less who would consider you to be "rich". The tax system needs to function independent, fair to all no matter what a person's net worth happens to be.
In this case I think the word "rich" could be used in describing this property. There is a limited number of people "rich" enough to purchase and assume the costs of owning an estate like this.
I'm not complaining about "rich" people. I'm just commenting on a piece of property that was developed far beyond it's value and that's no ones fault except the owners. Now it's somehow the fault of the town that it won't sell because the taxes are too high.
Would it sell if the property tax bill was lower? Probably, but it's not the towns responsibility to see that this owner gets the money back that he foolishly spent.
That being said, I see no problem with him going through the proper channels to try and get his tax bill reduced but that doesn't change the fact that he massively over developed that property.

Last edited by Biggd; 09-26-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
The valuation is supposed to approximate actual market value as determined by uniform (across the state) methods.

This is an very interesting point with respect to this home. Typically, the market value of the property would reflect the value of the land plus the building cost plugged into some reasonable formula. But what happens when the owner spends so much on the building, that no one else can afford to buy it? This seems to be the case here. Should the town suffer because he built a property that is not marketable? Or should the tax assessment reflect the value of the land plus the building cost plugged into some reasonable formula?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #29
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Building cost is often not related to market value. Spend $40K to install a swimming pool and you may not have increased the market value at all. Spend $40K on a new kitchen and you may have increased market value by $60K.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Default Bob likes Maine!

Bob is from southern Maine ..... he grew up there ..... he raced cars there .... and, he's left this mansion known as Longview behind to go back to Maine. His family and friends are all in Maine.

At age-91 with more than 300-million dollars in the bank, selling this Longview property for the reduced price of 9-million dollars will probably not make any difference to him. He probably just wants to sell it because with his race track in Loudon sold, he's gone back to Maine, and he has no use for the big house on Winnipesaukee. http://theautoblonde.com/bob-bahre-car-collection/ ……. Bob likes Maine!

Maybe he would actually prefer to donate the 19-waterfront acre mansion to the southern Maine Scouts http://pinetreebsa.org via a 100-year, one dollar/year lease to be used for a Maine young scouts, organized weekend get-a-way, go-to spot used by many different young people from Maine for the next hundred years and beyond.

Maybe, all things considered, he would feel better about donating the property as opposed to selling it? Is this a doable way out?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-29-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #31
Shrimpbrain

Quote:
Bob is from southern Maine ..... he grew up there ..... he raced cars there .... and, he's left this mansion known as Longview behind to go back to Maine. His family and friends are all in Maine.

At age-91 with more than 300-million dollars in the bank, selling this Longview property for the reduced price of 9-million dollars will probably not make any difference to him. He probably just wants to sell it because with the race track in Loudon sold, he's gone back to Maine, and he has no use for the big house on the lake. He likes Maine.

Maybe he would actually prefer to donate it to the southern Maine Boy Scouts http://pinetreebsa.org via a 100-year, one dollar/year lease to be used for a Boy Scout weekend get-a-way, go-to spot used by many different young people from Maine.

Maybe, all things considered, he would feel better about donating the property as opposed to selling it? Is this a doable way out?

We have to be correct in our wording. The Boy Scouts I believe are not called Boy Scouts now. They are just called SCOUTS ever since they allowed girls into the BOYS SCOUT. And NOPE I will not donate a Dime to this SCAM now. It's terrible how the millennials can't except this Country . Just another great cause going down the drain due to politics...
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #32
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpbrain View Post
We have to be correct in our wording. The Boy Scouts I believe are not called Boy Scouts now. They are just called SCOUTS ever since they allowed girls into the BOYS SCOUT. And NOPE I will not donate a Dime to this SCAM now. It's terrible how the millennials can't except this Country . Just another great cause going down the drain due to politics...
"can't except"..or..can't accept?

IMO "millennials" love this country just as much as other generations have.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #33
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Building cost is often not related to market value. Spend $40K to install a swimming pool and you may not have increased the market value at all. Spend $40K on a new kitchen and you may have increased market value by $60K.
Yes, that's exactly my point. If the owner has "over-improved" the property to the point where it is not marketable, or additional improvements are not longer increasing market value, isn't that his fault? Shouldn't he still pay taxes on the improvements?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #34
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Improvements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes, that's exactly my point. If the owner has "over-improved" the property to the point where it is not marketable, or additional improvements are not longer increasing market value, isn't that his fault? Shouldn't he still pay taxes on the improvements?
"Improvements" are only improvements if somebody wants to buy them. (Willing buyer, willing seller) No market, no value, no tax. If I put on an addition, and nobody wants to buy my indoor movie theater, it still has added value in the square footage because it can be used for other purposes.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #35
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
"Improvements" are only improvements if somebody wants to buy them. (Willing buyer, willing seller) No market, no value, no tax. If I put on an addition, and nobody wants to buy my indoor movie theater, it still has added value in the square footage because it can be used for other purposes.
Normally that would be true. But let's say you have a house that is already so expensive that it can only be sold at a fraction of its cost. The market value is capped way below replacement value because virtually nobody but you can afford to buy it.

Now let's say you put on a new wing to house a movie theatre. In this case, you have not increased the market value of the home (its already at its cap), but you would still expect an increase in taxes.

More reading here. Note that in the case I describe there is a sharp split between the sales comparison approach and the cost approach, both of which are valid. https://www.iaao.org/Media/Pubs/Property_Owner.pdf
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #36
tbonies

Why do I think of Mr. Trump's "400 pound guy sitting in his underwear in his parents basement" every time I see one of your unintelligible essays?

Quote:
Hey there Bunky …… got your local NH quarterly property tax bill in the mail recently … and you is feel'n like you is pay'n too much ….. you is assessed too high ….. and your town assessor don't have a clue …… well, friend ….. yo is not alone with your sentiment …… why, just read this article in today's Sept 25 http://www.unionleader.com/business/...state-20180925 ….. so's you see, yo is not alone!

Back in 2014 it was listed for sale at $49-million, and is now listed for sale at $8,900,000 …… a much more down-to-earth type of a price ….. and this newspaper article reports the recent change in federal tax law, signed into law on Dec 22, 2017, that limits the local property tax deduction to a $10,000-limit deducted from your federal income tax, effective this tax year-2018 ….. is not very helpful for making this property S-O-L-D.

You know, I can recall a newspaper quote from year-2000 or so, when the house was under construction where Bob said something like " Well you know, we really didn't want anything too fancy, just something simple where we can share the amazing long view down the lake with a few friends, every now and then."

Back in July and August, 1964, I by myself, used to sit there on that high, steep embankment edge of the lake's very long view atop Clay Point there, and watch the Uncle Sam and the Mount Washington chug past, headed to Wolfeboro or someplace. It is very much, quite the view!

Bob is suing the town over his assessment value.

Will be interesting to see how this gets adjudicated in court for property owner verses the town?

From the Union Leader article: "According to the complaint filed in Belknap County Superior Court on the Bahres' behalf by Attorney Margaret H. Nelson of Sulloway & Hollis of Concord, the assessments on "Longview" are excessive, disproportionate and unjust."
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-19-2020)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #37
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Why do I think of Mr. Trump's "400 pound guy sitting in his underwear in his parents basement" every time I see one of your unintelligible essays?
Above: Best post in the thread.

If you read back to the original thread post and then read FLL's recent reply the two combined don't really make sense. (Including my own reply) Unintelligible, and distorted. Chastising Bob Bahre with "Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor Bob!"

Guess what! FLL Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor FLL. Despite the fact the possibility exists that you might do better under the new rules when you put them all together in context and not just pick out the one you don't like.

Many years ago a friend of mine asked if I would be willing to pay twice as much in income taxes next year. My quick response without thinking was no. No was actually the wrong answer.

Using the same logic as above, that would mean if your boss offered you a promotion at twice / double your compensation, you would say No. Because you would have to pay more taxes.

Last edited by Top-Water; 11-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #38
fatlazyless

Default $309,230 divided by 365 = $847/day

This Bahre mansions's $309,230 annual property tax divided by 365 days/year equals $847/day in property tax, so for 2018 starting with January 11 every day accrues a property tax of $847 that is above the $10,000 limit and totally not deductible from the federal income tax.

It has to be paid with real money.

Considering this is a single family home that has a big long list of expenses such as electricity, insurance, fuel, maintenance, tv/internet, landscaping/snowplowing, and other stuff plus the $847/day prop tax effective January 11, that's a lot of expenses with absolutely no income generated by this residence.

E-gard ..... and yikes ...... so, maybe it can be rented out as a bnb party house ..... and bring in some cash ..... to pay the expenses?

You cannot eat the view.

So if someone has two or three homes, the total property tax amount deductible from federal tax for all two or three homes total is $10,000.

I wonder for the Town of Meredith, what assessed value produces a $10,000 property tax bill. With a rate of 15.23/thousand is it an assessment of $850,000 that creates a ten thousand dollar annual bill?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #39
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
This Bahre mansions's $309,230 annual property tax divided by 365 days/year equals $847/day in property tax, so for 2018 starting with January 11 every day accrues a property tax of $847 that is above the $10,000 limit and totally not deductible from the federal income tax.

It has to be paid with real money.

Considering this is a single family home that has a big long list of expenses such as electricity, insurance, fuel, maintenance, tv/internet, landscaping/snowplowing, and other stuff plus the $847/day prop tax effective January 11, that's a lot of expenses with absolutely no income generated by this residence.

E-gard ..... and yikes ...... so, maybe it can be rented out as a bnb party house ..... and bring in some cash ..... to pay the expenses?

You cannot eat the view.

So if someone has two or three homes, the total property tax amount deductible from federal tax for all two or three homes total is $10,000.

Please. Enough with the 10,000 property tax limit. It is irrelevant for this conversation. For someone in his income category there are several ways to legally get around part of the new tax law and I am sure his tax and legal advisors are taking care of this for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #40
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Please. Enough with the 10,000 property tax limit. It is irrelevant for this conversation. For someone in his income category there are several ways to legally get around part of the new tax law and I am sure his tax and legal advisors are taking care of this for him.

Joey, will you be my accountant? I don't seem to have any ways around anything! just pay, pay, pay!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #41
tis

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PZ_...eis-tA2cy/view

I think the biggest reason the schools cost so much is they have too many administrators. Take a look at this for Governor Wentworth School District.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #42
Lakegeezer

Default Non-residents pay almost double in Park City, UT

Be happy the tax rules of Park City, UT aren't adopted here. Those claiming primary residence in Park City, or renting to a single tenant year round, get a 55% break on their assessment. Those with second homes in Park City pay the full rate. A clear case of taxation without representation, yet it is not stopping people from buying second homes there.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 AM   #43
Woodsy

NH subscribes to the principle "One person One vote" and you have to be a resident. It is not taxation without representation. Nobody forced you to buy a 2nd home.

There are some "Home Rule Charter" movements around the country, but here in NH those type of rules are controlled solely by the legislature. See my link below.

If you don't like the way your city/town is being run up here.... then show up for the meetings and let your voice be heard. Write letters to the paper, emails etc. If its a REAL problem for you, change your residency and vote.

https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-libr...-rule-nhma.pdf

Woodsy
Biggd (09-28-2018), upthesaukee (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #44
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
NH subscribes to the principle "One person One vote" and you have to be a resident. It is not taxation without representation. Nobody forced you to buy a 2nd home.

There are some "Home Rule Charter" movements around the country, but here in NH those type of rules are controlled solely by the legislature. See my link below.

If you don't like the way your city/town is being run up here.... then show up for the meetings and let your voice be heard. Write letters to the paper, emails etc. If its a REAL problem for you, change your residency and vote.

https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-libr...-rule-nhma.pdf

Woodsy
I understand that purpose and do not necessarily disagree with it, but i do think that you should be able to vote in towns you own property in at a town level elections, but NOT at state or federal level, you own the land in that town you should have a voting say because it is a form of taxation without representation.
Colonists had a say in their areas representatives but not at the governor or higher levels
Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #45
Garcia

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PZ_...eis-tA2cy/view

I think the biggest reason the schools cost so much is they have too many administrators. Take a look at this for Governor Wentworth School District.
As a school administrator I agree but only somewhat. In my 30 year career the number of unfunded mandates, amount of paperwork, documentation, requirements around supervision, standardized testing, need to work with various state and federal agencies, etc. has increased exponentially. How I spend my day has changed dramatically as now I spend far more time doing paperwork and less time interacting in meaningful ways with staff and students.

I did not ask for these changes and in fact campaign against them as much as possible. But the reality is that the nature of my job has changed and what one person could do now requires multiple people - despite a shrinking student population. Long time primary care doctors report similar things - more time is spent doing things other than interacting with patients.

I am not complaining and absolutely love what I do. However, decisions are made at the town, district, state, and federal level that have brought about unintended consequences. What's the answer? That is a topic for a different discussion and perhaps different forum.

Back to the issue of property tax in NH. What one thinks of as wasteful, unnecessary spending is someone else's essential program.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #46
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
As a school administrator I agree but only somewhat. In my 30 year career the number of unfunded mandates, amount of paperwork, documentation, requirements around supervision, standardized testing, need to work with various state and federal agencies, etc. has increased exponentially. How I spend my day has changed dramatically as now I spend far more time doing paperwork and less time interacting in meaningful ways with staff and students.

I did not ask for these changes and in fact campaign against them as much as possible. But the reality is that the nature of my job has changed and what one person could do now requires multiple people - despite a shrinking student population. Long time primary care doctors report similar things - more time is spent doing things other than interacting with patients.

I am not complaining and absolutely love what I do. However, decisions are made at the town, district, state, and federal level that have brought about unintended consequences. What's the answer? That is a topic for a different discussion and perhaps different forum.

Back to the issue of property tax in NH. What one thinks of as wasteful, unnecessary spending is someone else's essential program.
My daughter is a RN and she complains of the same thing in her profession. More paper work means less time caring for patients.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #47
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Just curious: I hear your complaint. It is valid. Did you vote for a President who campaigned and pledged to reduce government regulations, and is doing so?

Or did your vote go the other way which is the way most in the education field voted?

If you are unhappy with the amount of government interference in education and business maybe you could speak to your fellow educators about the way most of them vote?

Just sayin'
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #48
joey2665

Quote:
Joey, will you be my accountant? I don't seem to have any ways around anything! just pay, pay, pay!

Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #49
Biggd

Quote:
You can't hide anything from you're accountant. He never wanted to listen to me when I complained about how much I was paying in taxes. "If you weren't making it you wouldn't have to pay it".
Now that I'm almost retired and not making nearly as much money, he's not saying that anymore, but he still charges me like I was.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #50
joey2665

Quote:
You can't hide anything from you're accountant. He never wanted to listen to me when I complained about how much I was paying in taxes. "If you weren't making it you wouldn't have to pay it".
Now that I'm almost retired and not making nearly as much money, he's not saying that anymore, but he still charges me like I was.

A major part of your job as a CPA is to seek out ways “legally “ to mitigate your clients taxes as much as possible. You don’t just take their info and input it into s program and spit out the results. That is a lazy accountant. Often it is what it is but you at least need to research and do your homework for each client.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #51
WinnisquamZ

How long would it take each town to place a lean on the property and go to court to force a sell for unpaid property taxes? Past life in a mass town an individual went six years before she had to sell. By the way she walked away with cash as they can only take the unpaid balance and you get the rest

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #52
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
How long would it take each town to place a lean on the property and go to court to force a sell for unpaid property taxes?
A few months in general, for the lien. But can be done immediately if the town feels they have any risk of losing monies.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #53
Top-Water

Quote:
ooooooh ……. I seeeeeee …….. that's how it works? ……. but, what about the property tax bill …….. do you still have to pay that local property tax bill???
Yes. ........... and if you can't they will start the process to get someone who can. Keep in mind all that free stuff you like tennis courts and recreation centers has to be paid for by someone and that includes yourself. It's not like taking a snowblower back in the spring and telling Lowes it just is not going to work out for me now that it's spring and there is no more snow.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #54
tis

In NH your taxes have to go unpaid for three years before the town will take them. Then it depends on the town how fast they move They do have to give notice that they are going to take the property.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #55
Top-Water

Quote:
In NH your taxes have to go unpaid for three years before the town will take them. Then it depends on the town how fast they move They do have to give notice that they are going to take the property.
That is correct, the lien and the (collecting of funds / forcing a sale) are two different parts of the process.

Lot's of towns don't rush this process, if they know that the property has equity, however it will cost a ton of money to settle up with the town as the interest penalties are very very steep. The longer you wait the more they make and they know that.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #56
WinnisquamZ

So, a individual can enjoy many years of lakeside living without paying their tax bill!!

Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #57
Garcia

Quote:
So, a individual can enjoy many years of lakeside living without paying their tax bill!!

Sure - but ultimately everyone pays one way or the other. Late to pay and penalties and fines accrue. Don't pay at all and the property is seized. Best thing? Just pay...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #58
Top-Water

Quote:

In *some peoples* minds yes, if they want to throw there money away, but the bottom line is the town always collects what they are owed one way or another in most cases. Are there extremes sometimes but more often then not the municipality always collects. Generally a down payment is what protects a lender, and if there is a lender they will have you out before the town does it.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #59
WinnisquamZ

Agree with all above, keep in mind, in most of these cases the first item negotiated out of the settlement is interest and penalties. What’s left is the tax balance. You are not losing money, just delaying payment. Will it tread this way, Laconia told everyone in today’s paper to be aware of the coming tax hike.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #60
AC2717

Quote:
Agree with all above, keep in mind, in most of these cases the first item negotiated out of the settlement is interest and penalties. What’s left is the tax balance. You are not losing money, just delaying payment. Will it tread this way, Laconia told everyone in today’s paper to be aware of the coming tax hike.

is that in the Union Leader?
Funny they hiked the holy crap out of the values already, now going for the rate hike?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #61
Biggd

Quote:

I think they already have the highest taxes in the lakes region and it is affecting waterfront home prices in Laconia. You can get a lot more home for the money in Laconia but you take a bigger hit on the tax end every year.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-02-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #62
WinnisquamZ

Yes

Old 10-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #63
Biggd

No one likes to pay taxes but the money has to come from somewhere. I don't mind as long as I feel my tax dollars are being spent properly and not wasted. Everyone has a different vision of what their taxes should be spent on.
If you have young kids you want it spent on the school system. When your are older and your kids have left the nest you don't want to be paying extra for something you are not using anymore.
But a good school usually increases the value of your home which increases the taxes. It's either one or or the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #64
joey2665

Default ....property taxes too high?

That would be California. Although NY isn’t much better. In Pennsylvania you have to pay city tax also in addition to state for every city you work in. I hate preparing PA tax returns they are a PIA.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #65
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the standard deduction for a married couple has doubled to $24,000 for 2018 (add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older). Even though the tax deduction is capped at $10,000 that additional $12,000+ standard deduction will help offset additional taxes that can't be deducted any more. That should help a lot of people. I guess we'll see since none of us have actually done our taxes yet for this year under the new tax plan.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #66
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the standard deduction for a married couple has doubled to $24,000 for 2018 (add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older). Even though the tax deduction is capped at $10,000 that additional $12,000+ standard deduction will help offset additional taxes that can't be deducted any more. That should help a lot of people. I guess we'll see since none of us have actually done our taxes yet for this year under the new tax plan.
And another positive impact of that for many of us will be that itemizing deductions will no longer be required/beneficial, simplifying tax preparation and reducing audit risks. Plus, those of us who don't suffer through the burden of owning million dollar properties still get the bigger standard deduction.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #67
jeffk

Oh, and of this year I get to deduct that extra $1300!

Thanks for the reminder Don.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #68
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Oh, and of this year I get to deduct that extra $1300!
Me too! I don't know whether to add a or a .
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #69
Garcia

I am curious as to how I'll make out. So far I have not seen any meaningful change in my pay. My bigger concern is the incredible growing deficit. I remain dumbfounded by the GOP's unwillingness to address the deficit, despite years of promises to do just that and years of criticizing the Obama administrations spending. And before anyone says otherwise, a booming stock market does not reduce the deficit. Are the Democrats any better? Of course not.
thinkxingu (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #70
Biggd

After years of my Corp and LLC creating a tax loss to off set my income, thus paying very little in taxes, now my accountant tells me he doesn't want to see losses in those anymore. He says I will pay less on Corp tax profits than I will pay on my personal tax filing.
So now I have a whole new way of thinking, run up my Corp profits and pay less in taxes. Thanks Mr. Trump!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #71
joey2665

Quote:
After years of my Corp and LLC creating a tax loss to off set my income, thus paying very little in taxes, now my accountant tells me he doesn't want to see losses in those anymore. He says I will pay less on Corp tax profits than I will pay on my personal tax filing.
So now I have a whole new way of thinking, run up my Corp profits and pay less in taxes. Thanks Mr. Trump!
Good advice. It is a delicate balance between the W-2 from the business, your contribution to a tax deferred plan and you profit reported on your K-1 all combined with the new small business deduction. If done properly you can certainly reduce your tax significantly.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #72
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Good advice. It is a delicate balance between the W-2 from the business, your contribution to a tax deferred plan and you profit reported on your K-1 all combined with the new small business deduction. If done properly you can certainly reduce your tax significantly.
He said no more pay raises for me. My wife is none too happy about that!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #73
MAXUM

Quote:
I am curious as to how I'll make out. So far I have not seen any meaningful change in my pay. My bigger concern is the incredible growing deficit. I remain dumbfounded by the GOP's unwillingness to address the deficit, despite years of promises to do just that and years of criticizing the Obama administrations spending. And before anyone says otherwise, a booming stock market does not reduce the deficit. Are the Democrats any better? Of course not.
This will get even more ugly as interest rates continue to rise. Problem is for a huge percentage of the population living constantly in debt is a way of life, so the government doing the same is no big deal....
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #74
Hillcountry

Quote:
I don’t recall the out of control deficit to be one of the present administration’s election talking points but give him some time...after he makes good on all his other promises, which he seems to be doing, perhaps he’ll tackle it. And you’re right...no side is better than the other concerning making it a priority.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #75
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
I don’t recall the out of control deficit to be one of the present administration’s election talking points but give him some time...after he makes good on all his other promises, which he seems to be doing, perhaps he’ll tackle it. And you’re right...no side is better than the other concerning making it a priority.
Trump said he would pay it off in 8 years. One thing Trump is really good at is spinning data. I remember how he blasted Obama's 5% unemployment numbers saying they were "fake" and were really double that and then, one year later, using the numbers he previously claimed as fake. Of course, Americans fall for it, so...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #76
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Trump said he would pay it off in 8 years. One thing Trump is really good at is spinning data. I remember how he blasted Obama's 5% unemployment numbers saying they were "fake" and were really double that and then, one year later, using the numbers he previously claimed as fake. Of course, Americans fall for it, so...

Nobody “falls for” anything. I believe the reports I see from respected and truthful sources...not just Fox News. Unemployment numbers are at an all time low as evidenced by all the jobs available and from what the “experts” in financial fields report. People who hate Trump get to ride the wave of prosperity as well. Obama will go down as the worst pres. in history for attempting to turn the USA into another member of the EU with his “global” designs.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #77
thinkxingu

Quote:
Nobody “falls for” anything. I believe the reports I see from respected and truthful sources...not just Fox News. Unemployment numbers are at an all time low as evidenced by all the jobs available and from what the “experts” in financial fields report. People who hate Trump get to ride the wave of prosperity as well. Obama will go down as the worst pres. in history for attempting to turn the USA into another member of the EU with his “global” designs.
Show me the same source reporting on unemployment last year and this--include the history graph.

Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #78
Biggd

Quote:
Maybe when he gets the money from Mexico when they pay for the wall?
thinkxingu (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #79
Hillcountry

Quote:
Maybe when he gets the money from Mexico when they pay for the wall?
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #80
thinkxingu

Quote:
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.
Wow, talk about drinking the Kool-Aid.

Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #81
Biggd

Quote:
So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #82
Hillcountry

Quote:
So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly.
I’d rather contribute to secure borders than planned parenthood...
Old 10-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #83
ApS

Arrow "Instant Fix" Isn't Happening...

Quote:
The payments began "indirectly" two years ago, with US companies negotiating deals to "stay-put" in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
"can't except"..or..can't accept?
IMO "millennials" love this country just as much as other generations have.
As much as "The Greatest Generation"?

A notable percentage of "Millennials" are foreigners.

"Millennial" Seth Rich was born in the US, wore the US flag as clothing, noted a major shift of allegiance within his party—and may have loved this country.

"Millennial" Jackson A. Kosko was arrested in DC yesterday on seven charges including "witness tampering".

(There's a NH connection to Maggie Hassan).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #84
Garcia

Quote:
He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.
Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #85
Hillcountry

Quote:
He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.
Someone already said that... time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
4BigLake (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #86
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The reason I did mention it is because in the higher taxed states it doesn't help many taxpayers. Their combined property tax, state income tax withheld and mortgage interest often exceeds the 24k standard deduction. However the elimination of AMT does help these clients, especially those were both spouses work
Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #87
thinkxingu

I think the bigger issue is that, at least according to my accountant, most people will take less home at tax season because they're taking more home in each paycheck.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #88
The Real BigGuy

Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #89
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

Without actual numbers, but since you are now limited on your property tax to 10k you will more than likely use the standard deduction but the tax rate is also lower so you could come out ahead of the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
barsully (10-08-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #90
The Real BigGuy

Thanks. I’ve heard more “you’re screwed” so this is refreshing. I think now is the time to stop asking and wait w/a positive outlook.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #91
fatlazyless

Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-20-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #92
Rusty

Quote:

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!
How about the light with deer antlers on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #93
ApS

Question Try Utah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How about the light with deer antlers on it.
The Wolfeboro Inn has antlers decorating their rooms' overhead lights.

The antlers are from pronghorn antelope—the nearest of which are about 2000 miles away.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #94
fatlazyless

For all the readers here who have been offended by the ceiling light fixture made from deer antlers ......... did you know that deer antlers are a yearly renewable resource because they grow a-new every year ...... falling off during the rut (whatever that is?) and starting to grow back after the winter, in the spring time ..... getting up to full size in the late fall ....... or something!

And, just look at that very empty expression on the dead bear's face ...... does not look happy, sad, ferocious, curious, hungry, or any type of a bear expression ...... it just looks expressionless ..... like a very, very icy, zombie type of dead ..... just imagine sharing the room with that after paying seven million for the big mansion..... no thanks?

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax? In a sense the IRS has eliminated the formerly friendly middle man, your very friendly Uncle Sam, you know that very friendly way how the form 1040 treated your residential real estate tax and state income tax going all the way back to 1913!

So, what happened ...... and what, me worry?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #95
Top-Water

Quote:

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax?
Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #96
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down.
FLL keeps harping on that $10,000 tax deduction limit which means nothing to rich people. They will find their deductions some other way.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #97
ITD

Here's some news, if you own a property on Lake Winnipesaukee you are rich. Back to your normally scheduled programming.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #98
loonguy

That sounds like fake news to me.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-23-2018), pondguy (11-23-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #99
thinkxingu

Quote:
Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Few things sadder (to me) than the loss of access for many in exchange for the vanity of a few.

I know it was probably a lot of money, but how nice would it have been if Alton could've bought that parcel?

Merrimack, where I live, has done a great job of preserving land for the town--there are three great parks with hiking/hiking trails and a few more smaller areas to recreate, almost all with beautiful water features.

FlyingScot (11-21-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #100
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Meredith tax rate increases by 2.56 percent

From the Laconia Sun

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...rticle-nav-nex
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote