Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Dogg

Default Helicopter Crash

I just heard there was a possible helicopter crash in to the lake today in or around Meredith... Anyone with input?
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
angela4design

Default I can verify it was in the area

I saw it flying over Water Street, I assumed it was in the area for Memorial Day observances, but maybe not? We were outside watering plants, but when we came in WCVB news happened to be on the TV, and said that it had in fact crashed, and everyone escaped okay. Very limited details about it, though. Nothing posted yet on WMUR, WCVB or WCSH websites.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
martbri7

Default Y landing

Y landing is the area of the crash according to WMUR at there lunch news.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
angela4design

Default thankfully... No injuries reported

WMUR has a link now: http://www.wmur.com/news/19559073/detail.html
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Weekend Pundit

We saw that copter out while we were out on the lake today. At one point it was flying over Governor's Island and then off towards Meredith. Seeing the report and pictures on WMUR I realized it was the same aircraft (Robinson 44, I think).
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
NHskier

I think we saw it in that area as well.

We were going out through Eagle Island channel about 11:30-11:45 when one of the National Guard search & rescue choppers out of Concord flew very low overhead. A couple minutes later as we got up towards Bear Island we say 3 MP boats running flat out headed inside Bear. We knew something was up!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
rick35

Default High winds

Someone on the west side of Bear across from Shep Browns has a small helicopter which he lands on a floating platform. It may have been him. Unfortunately we were home doing yard work but I hear it was really windy which could have been the cause of the crash.

I received a call in the afternoon saying there was a fire on Bear which was reportedly caused by a branch that fell on a transformer. My son and his friends went over to see what was going on and ended up helping to put out the fire. When we left Meredith last night my wife commented that the fire danger was low which surprised me. I was out on the trails on Bear on Thursday and thought it was pretty dry. Add some wind any you have some the making of a potential big problem.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
rick35

Default Correction

I just read on WMUR.com that it was someone on Pine. I didn't realize there were two small helicopters in that area.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
callmeD

WCVB here in Boston just reported that the copter was trying to land at Pine Island. The four people on board were from Falls Church, VA. And yes, they reported it was a Robinson something ...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
twoplustwo

Default does anyone know what it looked like?

We were lunching at Red Hill Dari when a retro looking helicopter which had a Red Cross sign on the side was flying scary, scary low over us. It came up over the trees by the Center Harbor Diner and Red Hill Auto, flew right over us at the Dari, turned around over near the Center Harbor PO and came back towards us, then headed out over Center Harbor Bay. It was flying so low it was unsettling - several people got up from their tables thinking it was going down, myself included.

I'm glad everyone is ok.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
jkjoshuatree

Red face Hey All

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
We were lunching at Red Hill Dari when a retro looking helicopter which had a Red Cross sign on the side was flying scary, scary low over us. It came up over the trees by the Center Harbor Diner and Red Hill Auto, flew right over us at the Dari, turned around over near the Center Harbor PO and came back towards us, then headed out over Center Harbor Bay. It was flying so low it was unsettling - several people got up from their tables thinking it was going down, myself included.

I'm glad everyone is ok.

My next door neighbor on Bear owns the little helicopter that he lands on his raft but it wasn't his that went down on Pine. It was his friends and he just happened to be in it.

It actually landed on the dock okay and then something happened, the windshield broke open and somehow it ended up in the water.

But everyone is okay. My neighbor had his sneaker ripped in half and has a cut on his hand, but he's okay other than that.

The marine patrol had two boats there almost immediately and then my neighbor's wife was there soon after, followed by members of my family.

My sister was working at Y Landing and she said she didn't see it but heard an enormous BANG!

I'll keep you posted with updates as I get them.

I'm just glad everyone's okay!!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
fatlazyless

I'm no expert but I think that retro looking helicopter with the large red crosses on white background, on both sides of the dark green 'copter is a US Army Reserve blackhawk from Grenier Field in Manchester. It has a loud exhaust.

Just noticed the www.unionleader.com has a story on the small civilian helicopter that fell into the lake.

Sometime in the middle of the afternoon, like maybe at three, the large red & white Meredith fire boat cruised around the south end of Bear Isl, heading north towards Y-Landing, with maybe 3-4 aboard. You almost never see that boat out & about. It is identified with a dark, fire engine red hull, white upper enclosed cabin, and two Suzuki four-stroke outboards.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-25-2009 at 06:08 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
CanisLupusArctos

The fire boats were headed towards Bear Island this afternoon. There was a first-alarm brush fire there. There were many other outside fires today as well, including one on another island. Fire danger was "red flag warning" today, statewide. If any sign said it was "low", then nobody changed the sign.

Never saw or heard a thing about the copter crash this morning though. Shows what you miss when you crank the stereo up for a few minutes.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Lake Lady 6

Default Helicopter Crash

First heard the news on the car radio but no details. Later it was announced that no one was hurt in the crash - that was good news.

While stopped at Sawyer's saw an ambulance heading towards Laconia - then as I drove east on Rt. 11 two more ambulances (one said Alton on the door) passed me heading towards Laconia. This was around 1:30 p.m. - I hope there was some reason for them to be out other than another accident.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Winnipesaukee

I saw a heli flying low over the Meredith town docks area today around 11:30.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
John A. Birdsall

Default helo

We were watching a helicopter at approx. 11 near Mt. Major acting very funny like he was looking for someone. He went up and down the trail then took off over the mountain in a hurry going towards Belnap. It was surley acting strange. I wonder if its the same helo.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
granitebox

Default Here is Citizen Article

A Robinson R44 helicopter is removed from Lake Winnipesaukee by a fork lift at Y Landing Marina after crashing into the lake on Monday, May 25, 2009. (Alan MacRae/for the Citizen)

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...896/-1/CITIZEN
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #18
ApS

Default Two seen over this way...

Now that I've seen a photo of the thing, I'm pretty sure it was overhead—and low—over Wolfeboro sometime after 11AM.

Another sighting at that time—over Ossipee way—was a dark-gray military helicopter, which must have been the National Guard helicopter over the Center Harbor Memorial Day celebrations.

That photo was featured the next day in the Union Leader.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
murph

Default Pics

I took these pics yesterday at work. I work at Y-landing where they pulled the helicopter out... it is still there.
Attached Images

murph is offline   Reply With Quote