Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Is the Wine'ing Butcher open yet?

Edited to say that I just found the other thread saying was open. I guess I'll be heading down to get some marinated steak tips....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
angela4design

Default Quietly, yes

The new Wine' ing butcher IS open!!!

I've seen their lunch take out menu, and it is MOUTHWATERING.

They just opened the store this week, but they don't have seating or restrooms, so I think it's strictly take-out at this point. I have a menu that I'll try to scan to post up here, but do make plans to check it out.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Living the Dream

Default Whining Butcher

I've been to the Whining Butcher about 40 times over the last 4 years or so in Gilford since it opened. The couple that owned it is very nice and work hard.

I enjoyed their food for the first couple of years but since the owner sold off half of the business to open another WB in Meredith the quality of the meat has gone down. And some other people have noticed. There's much more fat in the meats now. I don't know if the new owner is trying to cut corners but I tried going back a couple of times and unforunately have not been impressed. I hope the new business doesn't try to cut corners. Anyone else notice this?
Living the Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Dream View Post
I've been to the Whining Butcher about 40 times over the last 4 years or so in Gilford since it opened. The couple that owned it is very nice and work hard.

I enjoyed their food for the first couple of years but since the owner sold off half of the business to open another WB in Meredith the quality of the meat has gone down. And some other people have noticed. There's much more fat in the meats now. I don't know if the new owner is trying to cut corners but I tried going back a couple of times and unforunately have not been impressed. I hope the new business doesn't try to cut corners. Anyone else notice this?
We had steak tips tonight from the Meredith store, not much fat at all, very tasty, the hot salsa from their store was very good too.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
fatlazyless

That location has a problem similar to Heath's Supermarket in that it cannot be seen from Route 25. For a retail biz, good visibility is important, just look at what the Meredith Hannaford's has for high visibility signs.

What with all the work it takes to start a new store, maybe you want to replace the existing sign underneath the Irving Gas with something that is more identifiable. 3M makes vinyl sign material that is highly light reflective that could take advantage of sunlight, and vehicle headlights to make a much more 'easy-to-see' sign.

Maybe you want to shoot off a roll of 24 color photos of your existing sign from the same location at different times & days and then go consult with one of the local sign makers: Omni Signs or Paquette Signs.

In retail, people buy with their eyes, and good signs are real important. At least, good signs sure help to get them in the door for their first visit.

Just my two dollars worth of advice that wasn't requested Good luck with all your hard work in building a new store.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-19-2009 at 09:54 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Where in Meredith is the new Whining Butcher located?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
angela4design

Default Location

FLL is right about the location, they will have to bring attention to it from the road. It's actually BEHIND the Irving on Route 25 in Meredith... not far from Hannaford, by the way.

As for a sign, I think Meredith has restrictions on signs to keep the charm of the town. (sp. thinking on the Mobil on Route 3). But, they will need a good sign visible at the roadside.

By the way, my experience has always been fantastic at the WB, esp the Steak tips and fresh ground beef. This new location is much larger, and will now feature a large seafood variety from what I hear! I'm thrilled to hear that; Hannaford doesn't always have what I'm looking for.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Irish mist

I've never had a problem there yet. I was just in there last week, no complaints.
________
Ns500

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Too bad they couldn't do something with the Irving station. Do a fill up, or a certain number of gallons get a certain % off at the WB. Or Visa Versa....

At least until everyone knows they are there. Which won't take long this Summer if they play their cards right. Heck. I know I've told quite a few people about it too.

Get one of those big Goodyear blimps to hover around the station....
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Smile I Agree About The Signage...

...but after being there twice in the last two days, I don't think it will matter all that much.

I think word of mouth will make this business thrive.

I went in yesterday to check it out and I was very impressed. Five kinds of marinated steak tips and five different chicken breasts too. Along with turkey tips, assorted chicken wings, smoked salmon, King crab legs, oysters, steamers, filets, and sirloins, the place has it all and it looks great too.

Then of course there's self-serve olive oil (one of the owners said there will be four eventually-there were two today), grilled vegies, various rice dishes, pastries, salsa, chips, baked beans, tortellini salad...I could keep going, but I'm sure you get the point.

Oh ya, can't forget, they also carry a line of meat rubs that are made right in Moultonboro (how cool is that?) as well as a extensive (and reasonably priced) wine selection!!

Oh ya, can't forget part II, they have the most amazing hot and cold sandwhiches. Yesterday I got the grilled chicken with Monteray cheese, roasted red peppers, carmalized onions and greens on a Ciabatta roll...amazing!! And it was so good I stopped on my way back to Boston today and got their Cuban sandwhich, which was also very good (however, I prefer pickle slices rather than relish on my Cuban, but that's just me).

I also got some chopped sirloin for my puppies (I know, they're spoiled) and some Honey Maple turkey. They loved both of them.

Very cool place, very clean, very shiny, and very accomodating. There was an older gentleman in there today looking over the sandwhich menu and couldn't seem to find anything he liked so he asked if they could just make him a regular old fashioned cheese burger (which isn't on the menu) and they said they'd be happy to.

I've been driving my wife crazy talking about this place since I got home so I decided to "vent" my opinion on here to get it all off my chest.

Can't wait to go back and try it all!

They have brick-grilled pizza too! And if you need something specific the owner (I think-young guy, Jeff maybe), said to just let him know and he'd try to get it.

Okay...I'm done. I'll shut up now.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
boat_guy64

Default Yum!!!

We stopped in yesterday just after having lunch at Canoe. Although we weren't hungry at the time, I couldn't resist getting some lemon pepper chicken and grilling it last night. It was extra good. Lots of interesting things and they told us that they are trying to make it a one stop market. Get your meat, wine, as much local produce as they can get, nachos, salsa and everything you need to make a meal.

The place is really nice and extra clean. The sandwich and lunch menu look really good and we'll be trying that soon.

I wish them the best of luck and hope that everyone can find it behind the Irving station.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Lakesrider

Stop. Stop..... I'm salavating now!

I am just picturing this Summers BBQ's.......
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
steadyon

Joshuatree,
I totally agree, place is great!!!
I had the cuban yesterday and I agree with the relish thing
(personal preference of pickles also) we can just ask and they will
use pickles instead.
I love it!
cant wait to try the pizza!
very nice addition to Meredith
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Stopped yesterday for the grillmaster steak tips......sooooo good.Going back today to try the Cuban.We get them in Cuban restaurants in Florida,so it will be interesting to compare....will definately ask for pickles.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
jkjoshuatree

Default I Should've Asked For Pickles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyon View Post
Joshuatree,
I totally agree, place is great!!!
I had the cuban yesterday and I agree with the relish thing
(personal preference of pickles also) we can just ask and they will
use pickles instead.
I love it!
cant wait to try the pizza!
very nice addition to Meredith

...I guess I just wasn't paying attention as I was reading the menu when it said relish; I was too hungry and my mind didn't get that far in the description.

Oh well-there's always next time!!

By the way, I told the owner about us (Winni.com people) and he loved that we all give our honest, unsolicited opinions. He said he wants to hear it all, good or bad so he can fix what's wrong and make what's right even better.

Cheers to him!!

I know that place will do great! Between that, the new Hannaford's, and all four Mills Falls hotels, Meredith sure has come a long way in the last thirty years!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
imalocal

I am going to try one of their pizzas tomorrow night - I can't wait and I will let you know! I do tend to agree that their steaks have seemed "fattier" lately. I get a steak every couple of weeks and love them, but they have had more fat the past few months.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
angela4design

Default The MENU!

For those who haven't had the chance to stop by yet, here's the menu. Be careful not to drool on the keyboard... some of these offering look THAT enticing. LOL
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Wineing Butcher.pdf (162.8 KB, 290 views)
Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Sal

So .... blatant commercials are now allowed on the forum. Interesting turn of events, eh?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Irrigation Guy

I for one am happy to see their menu. When I stopped in on Friday night they were all out. Thanks Angela!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default menus always allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
So .... blatant commercials are now allowed on the forum. Interesting turn of events, eh?
Sal, this is not advertising, it is a menu. Good places in the region end up with threads like this.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #21
VitaBene

Default Fat in a steak= good, not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalocal View Post
I am going to try one of their pizzas tomorrow night - I can't wait and I will let you know! I do tend to agree that their steaks have seemed "fattier" lately. I get a steak every couple of weeks and love them, but they have had more fat the past few months.
Hi, I hear what people are saying regarding fat in their steaks. Keep in mind that fat is where much of the flavor resides. When buying a good cut of steak (ribeye, strip) I always look for fat marbled through the meat. It all comes down to the cooking- get those grills hot and grill, don't barbeque, those steaks and the fat will melt and turn into flavor! And for thicker cuts- bring them up to room temp before putting them on the grill.

I do agree that if it is edge fat, that should be trimmed and the consumer should not be paying 9, 10 or more $ a pound for that- that is just a lazy butcher.

I almost stopped at the WB on Sunday but ran out of time- looking forward to another option
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
Lakesrider

They should have their hours on the menu...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
imalocal

They are open 9 - 7 every day.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
dpg

Will SOMEBODYwho has tried their pizza please give a review??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
imalocal

I'm having one tonite - I'll let you know.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
BlackCatIslander

Default A Quick Visit and A First Impression

I dropped in to see what the store was like yesterday. If I did not know where it was based upon these posts, I never would have noticed their sign. The store is very nice and will appeal to a certain segment that is willing to pay for quality meats. I do hope that they suceed but in this economy and with a small year round population it may be a challenge for them.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
I dropped in to see what the store was like yesterday. If I did not know where it was based upon these posts, I never would have noticed their sign. The store is very nice and will appeal to a certain segment that is willing to pay for quality meats. I do hope that they suceed but in this economy and with a small year round population it may be a challenge for them.
Here's why I think they have an advantage. You can drop into the WB and get all the fixins for an outstanding meal for several people for $25 - $30. A restaurant meal would cost $100+. Further, during the summer I hate going to restaurants on a Saturday because it's so crazy. So I get the relaxed feel of home with some friends, get to show off my grill work, eat a fabulous meal that people rave over, and I save $75. What's not to love?

I agree things slow down over the winter a bit but such a business is very scalable. They can keep a smaller inventory over the winter and shed seasonal staff. The Gilford store has been doing OK during the winter and they have been open for a while. Meredith is also fairly busy all year round these days and if you're coming in to Hannafords for groceries anyway and you want splurge for a meal or two, the WB is just down the street.

I'll bet they do OK.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #28
fatlazyless

Is there a grammar umpire on board this forum?

It just seems to me that Wine'ing, being usd as a business name, would be more grammatically appropriate spelled as Wine-ing.

What do you think? For example, consider how Wal-Mart is spelled.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #29
imalocal

Thumbs up

Okay - here is the pizza review. Last night we had the White Mountain pizza. At first I thought that asparagus on a pizza was odd, but that pizza was soooooooooooo good! The menu says thinly sliced prosciutto, but it was not as thin as I expected. The slices were good sized and very tasty. Next time, I may ask for a little more garlic and basil because we really like both, but the white sauce was very good and just the right amount. The fresh mozzarella was the icing on the cake. We will definitely have this pizza again. (One note - right now they only have big pizza boxes, but the pizzas are only 12". When you pick up the pizza, it seems like you are getting a bigger pie and it looks kind of small when you open the box.) We also had the Jack Daniels wings which were also very good. There was ample sauce on them, but not overpowering. Good bleu cheese dressing with them. Overall, I am very pleased with the WB in Meredith.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #30
Irrigation Guy

Default Pizza

I got a pizza last friday night. It was pretty good, and came in a smallish box. The first thing I noticed when I grabbed the box was how light it was. So, I opened the box and the pizza was darn small and cost $10.00 plus tax. When I commented I better get some more to eat because there was no way that little pizza was gonna feed 2, they said the only had medium boxes and were waiting on the large boxes. So a large pizza will cost even more.

I may try another pizza as a treat but it definitely won't be a regular Friday night pizza stop.

Love their marinated meats though, so will still be in there for those and happy I don't have to run all the way to Gilford for it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
steadyon

Hi
I think 10 for a pizza is not bad.(unless it's like a personal size) The pizza at Guiseppis is way more and not that great.
I'll have to try the pizza for myself.
overall I think its a great store.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
I got a pizza last friday night. It was pretty good, and came in a smallish box. The first thing I noticed when I grabbed the box was how light it was. So, I opened the box and the pizza was darn small and cost $10.00 plus tax. When I commented I better get some more to eat because there was no way that little pizza was gonna feed 2, they said the only had medium boxes and were waiting on the large boxes. So a large pizza will cost even more.
Not personal size but close, I could easily have eaten the whole thing but the wife would not have been too happy.

The Guisseppies ones are nice and big, and with the MVSB Generations Gold Card you get it very reasonably($3.00 off).
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #33
Lakesrider

I must have just missed Blackcatislander, because I was there too, the other night. I got two panini's. The Cuban and the Chicken Florentine of which, both were delicious. But I would suggest you call ahead as they were busy just before 7pm. I doubt they got out of there anywhere near closing time. i also bought two of the tomato and basil marinated chicken breasts. I just got done grilling those and once again they were very good. Nice and moist. I mentioned I would be back for more bulk tips. I usually get around 10lbs or so on Friday nights during the summer. The owner was quite busy cleaning up but took the time to talk to me and I did tell him of the forum and that he was getting chatted up quite a bit. He told me to make sure I told him how the sandwhiches were.

I'm feeling a bit bad however as I don't want to forget about the Bay street butcher in Wolfeboro. He has great stuff too. I guess it just depends on where I am going and where I am coming from eh?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
callmeD

Thanks, Angela, for posting the menu. As a vegetarian, I figured there wouldn't be anything on the menu for me, but now I know there is - awesome!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #35
fatlazyless

hello....for 4.50 and no extra tax the Wal-Mart store brand, Great Value, makes about five different styles of pizza that are good pizza....probably does not come close to comparing with Wine'ing Butcher but still $4.50 for a two pound, 11" diameter, frozen pizza....and pretty decent quality....what a Great Value.

I know times are very tough and many are actually having difficulty filling up their 100 gallon gas tanks....so smile ...and eat a pizza!

Every Friday, Heath's in Center Harbor, runs a pizzarama festival from three to six o'clock. Pizzas cost from $3.50 to 5.00 for a choose-your-ingredients, 11"-2lb-pizza...like an hawaiian pizza (smiley aloha face).

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-23-2009 at 06:01 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #36
SIKSUKR

Default Strike one

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Is there a grammar umpire on board this forum?

It just seems to me that Wine'ing, being usd as a business name, would be more grammatically appropriate spelled as Wine-ing.

What do you think? For example, consider how Wal-Mart is spelled.
You know Less,when you critisize grammar you should look at your own!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #37
hockeypuck

Default Steak Tips in Paradise

The Wine'ing Butcher is the best. Whenever we are at the lake we make it a point to have them vacuum pack up about 40 pounds of steak tips in 2 pound packs. Put them in the cooler and freeze them up for future use. Last January 20 pounds made it through customs to the British Virgin Islands and were enjoyed onboard off White Bay on the Island of Jost Van Dyke. You guys are so lucky to have them there.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #38
Lakewinn1

Thumbs up Wining Butcher

Couldn't agree more they rival Hilltop Butcher Shop in Saugus, Mass..... only alot closer!
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck View Post
Last January 20 pounds made it through customs to the British Virgin Islands and were enjoyed onboard off White Bay on the Island of Jost Van Dyke. .
I hope you went to the Soggy Dollar and Sydneys.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #40
winnipiseogee

Default Another happy customer!

Just wanted to jump on the band wagon and add my happy review to the heap. My wife and I haven't cooked since the WB opened and having now eaten their about a dozen times I am happy to report that I have not yet had a single bad meal. The only thing that worries me is if they are packed on a weeknight in April what's it going to be like in the summer?!?!?! Just goes to show you that despite the economy, the local community will support a great new business!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #41
VitaBene

Default Nice store

I checked it out yesterday and it is a nice store. Well laid out and a nice selection of fairly priced foods and wine. I think they wil do well.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
Bear Island South

Default Great food....but service was a little slow

Stopped by today for a sandwich and other supplies, I was able to get steaks, lobster tails and steak tips in about 5 minutes, my sandwich ( a cold wrap) on the other hand took 20 minutes to prepare. My suggestion call ahead if you are looking to get in and out for lunch.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #43
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalocal View Post
Okay - here is the pizza review. Last night we had the White Mountain pizza. At first I thought that asparagus on a pizza was odd, but that pizza was soooooooooooo good! The menu says thinly sliced prosciutto, but it was not as thin as I expected. The slices were good sized and very tasty. Next time, I may ask for a little more garlic and basil because we really like both, but the white sauce was very good and just the right amount. The fresh mozzarella was the icing on the cake. We will definitely have this pizza again. (One note - right now they only have big pizza boxes, but the pizzas are only 12". When you pick up the pizza, it seems like you are getting a bigger pie and it looks kind of small when you open the box.) We also had the Jack Daniels wings which were also very good. There was ample sauce on them, but not overpowering. Good bleu cheese dressing with them. Overall, I am very pleased with the WB in Meredith.
Thanks for the post.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote