Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
sa meredith

Default Humane Society in Laconia

I write this as I believe many forum members are huge animal lovers (as am I).
Each week for the past several years I use Meredith Center road to cut across from Meredith to the marina in Paugus Bay, and therefore, always pass by the animal shelter in Laconia. And every week I would read something on the sign, like: Needed: Paper Towels or We Need Bleach or Dog Food Needed...
and I always thought to myself, "you know, it really would not be that hard to stop in and donate something from time to time."
Well, upon arriving at my camp last Thursday night, I settled into the current edition of The Weirs Times, and read the whole story about the Laconia Humane Society and how they are overrun with cats/ kittens. Completely full, at 170 plus...and in dire need of kitty litter and food.
So I decided, this was the time to finally stop in and donate.
So Friday morning, after breakfast at George's, I hit Jackson Star for 100lbs of kitty litter and 20 lbs of food, thinking I would drive it over to the shelter, and have a real nice "feel good" experience. I was very wrong!
To say they are over run with cats is an understatement.
There are cats everywhere...the lobby, in offices, the front display windows...everywhere. Don't get me wrong...all looked healthy and well cared for, but are just stacked on top of each other in every corner (no, not literally on top of each other). Saying 170 cats and kittens, and seeing 170 cats and kittens are two very different things.
It's heart breaking...especially when a dozen or so sit in the window looking out at you with that "head cocked side ways" look that asks, "can I come with you?" Not easy. If taking home a dozen was possible, it's what I would have done. But I seem to have my hands full with a single seven month old cat as it is.
And, just to make it a bit worse, I visited with the dogs out in the front cages before leaving. Again, probably a mistake. As I was visiting with one, there are 8 others in different kennels, yelping..."what about me, what about me??!!" Tough to walk away, leaving them there, hoping to one day find a home.
Anyway...if anyone reading this is so inclined, stop by with a bag of litter or maybe some food, as I believe they certainly could use it.
Just be prepared for for a small amount of depression as you leave.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Nadia (06-07-2009)