Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
castleview

Default Lyons Den

They really need to work on their people skills in this restaurant, although the food is excellent.
We had made a reservation for our party, and were greeted with "were we expecting you?"
We were taken aback by the rudeness of that tone welcoming us to this restaurant.
Having young men with us, we went through the rolls (which were delicious) rather quickly, as the service was rather slow on the evening we were there (but, in fairness expected, as it was a busy night), however, we were taken aback again, as while we patiently waited for our food (while the air conditioning barely kept up), the waitress asked us how many rolls we wanted???
Seriously?
It is so important to be nice to customers, while they are patiently waiting for their dinners, in a very warm environment, not complaining, and it should just be common sense to bring more rolls, and not "guard" them, when they run out.
Let's use some common sense in dealing with the public here, and you will have a very successful restaurant, as the food was great once it finally came, even though the waitress forgot our salads....just saying...
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
winnipiseogee

So just to be clear you joined the forum only to badmouth a well liked locally owned business for not providing you with enough extra rolls? (because lets face it when its 98 degrees and July every single restaurant has a big crowd and struggling AC).

Can I perhaps suggest you need a beer, an inner tube and a day floating on the lake to remember how insignificant that problem really is?
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-21-2013), Charlie T (07-21-2013), chasedawg (07-21-2013), chefbrown (07-25-2013), Hezman (07-21-2013), ishoot308 (07-21-2013), Phantom (07-23-2013), Reilly (07-22-2013), Resident 2B (07-21-2013), Slickcraft (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
castleview

No, actually, I was rather amused at the rather rude behavior, and the "guarding of the rolls".
We have sense been told by other people up here, that they have had the same experience.
It is just common sense to take care of the consumer if you want to have them come back, especially if you forgot to serve part of their dinner.
We thought the food was great, as we have not found most of the restaurants up here to be that good, and I gave them credit for that.
How you greet the consumer from the start is important, it is just basic common sense, and the hostess was rude.
If you really want my honest opinion, the atmosphere left a lot to be desired, and they truly need a lighting engineer, and an interior decorator.
And I must be on the wrong forum, and I thought this was for opinions.
If you want good food, go there, but, expect a rude reception, and don't dare ask for an extra roll, and...bring a fan.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to castleview For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (07-21-2013), Irrigation Guy (07-21-2013), jetskier (07-21-2013), nicole (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Resident 2B

We go to the "Den" very often and we have always enjoyed every aspect of our visits.

Sorry it did not work as well for you, but for us, this is clearly the best restaurant in the lakes region.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Reilly (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Newbiesaukee

I have no opinion of the Lyons Den as I have only been there once., Still, I did not see anything out of line with the first post. It seemed an honest opinion of their experience. It did into appear to me to be the "one troll posts" we occasionally see. This is an opinion forum, not a professional restaurant criticism venue.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Way Out Of Character

"Were we expecting you" sounds like a nice way of asking "do you have reservations" so they can check you off the their reservation book. Certainly does not sound rude by any means.

As far as the rolls go, maybe she asked how many you wanted so she could bring out more than the usual 1 per person as they make / heat them to order. I think you took it the wrong way.

Your comment about the AC is completely ridiculous considering the heat wave we have had for the past couple weeks. No restaurant that is full of people, hot food, ovens cooking non stop would have been any better.

I am not calling you a liar, I just think you may have misinterpreted a couple things and hope you will go again and see if things are a little different when viewed as I stated above.

You don't get to be as successful as they are year round by being rude to customers. This is a small family owned and run business and being rude would be way, way, out of character for them.

Good luck!

Dan
brk-lnt (07-21-2013), chasedawg (07-21-2013), jeffk (07-21-2013), Reilly (07-22-2013), Resident 2B (07-21-2013), Slickcraft (07-21-2013), Wolfeboro_Baja (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
brk-lnt

We've been to the Lyon's Den several times. It's one of a select few places on the lake that I think always excels.

Your experience was definitely not typical, I'd suggest you give them another try.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Lakepilot

We were there 2 weeks ago and it was excellent as always. The service, the food and the decor.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
"guarding of the rolls".
Rumor has it that an Alert Patron in the restaurant.. at the time.. noticed one of your "Party" squirreling rolls into their back pack whenever the waitstaff was not looking.. TRUE..?? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

"If you want good food, go there, but, expect a rude reception, and don't dare ask for an extra roll, and...bring a fan."

Hmmmm, Kind of sounds like my first marriage....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-21-2013), Pontoon Goon (07-25-2013), Resident 2B (07-21-2013), SteveA (07-23-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Wasn't there so I don't know how the words were said.

However, the question about "were we expecting you?" would not be that upsetting to me either. It is a little different was of asking about reservations, but I would probably have simply answered "I hope so, I am XXXXX XXXXX and I have a 630 reservation." Sometimes, I can even beat the hostess by saying who I am and what time the reservation is, before they can ask.

When we dined with our kids, we would run into the situation during a slow service night and would ask the server "When you have a chance, can we get a few (or a couple) more rolls to keep the kids occupied til dinner gets here...Thanks".

I too love the Lyon's Den, and have always had top notch food, and top notch service. Sorry your experience was not so good.

If you go to their website and email them your concerns, I would be surprised if you did not get a response.

Hope you try them again and have a good experience that time.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Just Sold

"Castleview" I cannot agree with your observations. We were at the Lyon's Den on the 18th for a 5:15 PM reservation. We were seated quickly with a polite and cordial welcome and we had excellent service the whole evening. The food was outstanding: Escargot in a potato puff app, the duck special entrée and a delightful Crème Brule'. The owner made sure to check on us a few times to make sure everything was going well. Our waitress was excellent too. So Lyon's Den gets a A+ from us.

That said we have had some lunch items that were not warm enough but that was 2 years ago so anyone can have an off day.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
"Were we expecting you" sounds like a nice way of asking "do you have reservations" so they can check you off the their reservation book. Certainly does not sound rude by any means.
That was my first thought also; it's just a different way of asking the reservation question.

I've only been to the Lyon's Den once, so far, a couple years ago. It wasn't in the middle of a heatwave nor was it the middle of the lunch or dinner rush so I can't comment on those issues. I can say that my wife and I both enjoyed our meals and the staff was pleasant and friendly. I'm hoping to go back next week when we're up on the lake for our vacation. I've heard nothing but great reviews of this establishment but I'll keep castleview's comments in mind if we do make it there next week.

Perhaps the decor they have was chosen so as not to compete with the beautiful view of the lake? I don't know how you could improve on that view but then again, I don't usually worry much about decor!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
castleview

Look...you all need to chill...it is just an opinion of how to greet people when you are in a people industry.

Would you great house guests with...."was I expecting you?".

That line is one that we all use with our adult children in visiting now, as we find it comical.

I live here, and go there often, and no, I was not there during the very recent hot spell, it was last month that it happened, and it was not that hot, and it was still warm there.

My son was tempted to say...don't you recognize us, why we are the Romney's just over from Wolfeboro, since we were in our polo and khaki's.

It is so pretentious.

I said that the food was great, and it is.

I am just talking about customer service and how to improve when meeting your guests.

Go to any fine restaurant, and you would never, ever be greeted that way.

The hostess is always stressed and harried.

She is always "running" around the restaurant, and it is disconcerting while you are having dinner, and she is running back and forth to meet guests, and then setting up for the next tables, and it just seems like they are ill prepared for the amount of guests they are having or just do not have enough help.

The waitresses for the most part are excellent, except for the night that we were there and they "forgot" 10 salads, and brought the main entrée, and then asked if we wanted salads??

We waited patiently as we sensed (given the stressed look of the hostess) that they were running behind (hence just asked for extra rolls), and was surprised when presented the main course, since the salad was skipped.

I can even live with that.

Just in my humble opinion, as I thought that was what this forum was for, and obviously some of you are friends of the owners, it would be good to mention proper manners in dealing with the public, because they got the rest of it going for them.

Also, if you are running behind, and you see young adults in the party, and the bread basket in running low, common sense would tell you to replenish it.
The Following User Says Thank You to castleview For This Useful Post:
lovetheforum (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Resident 2B

I do not see Lyon's Den as a "fine restaurant". I see it as a family owned and family run restaurant that happens to serve fine food. If you were expecting a fine dining experience complete with the stuffiness of proper protocol from the wait staff, you went to the wrong place.

Lyon's Den is about great views, excellent food and friendly service. I also go there a lot and that is what I always get. It is relaxed dining in a lakeside, country setting. No valet parking, no black tie waiters and no wine steward. Is their style going to please everyone? Maybe not. Is their style fitting for what they do as a restaurant? Absolutely!

I feel you are over-reacting to a few very minor things.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Look...you all need to chill...it is just an opinion of how to greet people when you are in a people industry.

That line is one that we all use with our adult children in visiting now, as we find it comical.

I live here, and go there often, and no, I was not there during the very recent hot spell, it was last month that it happened, and it was not that hot, and it was still warm there.

My son was tempted to say...don't you recognize us, why we are the Romney's just over from Wolfeboro, since we were in our polo and khaki's.

It is so pretentious.

I am just talking about customer service and how to improve when meeting your guests.

She is always "running" around the restaurant, and it is disconcerting while you are having dinner, and she is running back and forth to meet guests, and then setting up for the next tables, and it just seems like they are ill prepared for the amount of guests they are having or just do not have enough help.

The waitresses for the most part are excellent, except for the night that we were there and they "forgot" 10 salads, and brought the main entrée, and then asked if we wanted salads??

We waited patiently as we sensed (given the stressed look of the hostess) that they were running behind (hence just asked for extra rolls), and was surprised when presented the main course, since the salad was skipped.

Just in my humble opinion, as I thought that was what this forum was for, and obviously some of you are friends of the owners, it would be good to mention proper manners in dealing with the public, because they got the rest of it going for them.

Also, if you are running behind, and you see young adults in the party, and the bread basket in running low, common sense would tell you to replenish it.
castleview, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
lovetheforum

Quote:

It is so pretentious.

Welcome to the forum. Castleview, I value your opinion. In these forums apparently it is only acceptable to give a negative reviews about certain restaurants. Most members do not welcome the views of new members. They get fired up about a negative or positive review if you are new. I find it refreshing to hear someone's honest opinion.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovetheforum For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-22-2013), Irrigation Guy (07-23-2013), mhtranger (07-22-2013), nicole (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
castleview

Thank you...geez...
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Lakesrider

Yeah I got nailed for my Canoe review as well......But hey it's all good.

As Walter Cronkite used to say......"And that's the way it was" "Good night".....

I have no idea what that has to do with anything......
Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
spider22

Not being there I cannot attest to any tone or rudeness but I would not let the fact that she asked "if they were expecting you" bother me too much. It might be another way that person has come up with of asking if you have a reservation.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Yeah I got nailed for my Canoe review as well......But hey it's all good.:
LR: Funny you should mention that famous Canoe thread. (Early October 2012) (Locked) I went back there today to have a look ...I was pretty outspoken on that thread, as you were, and we got hammered.

SO: Just Wondering: Is it possable we have a DNA MATCH:... "Canoe".."BenzGuy"..and ..........."Castleview"..?? Same person.???? We can only wonder the Motive...

Last edited by NoBozo; 07-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
LR: Funny you should mention that famous Canoe thread. (Early October 2012) (Locked) I went back there today to have a look ...I was pretty outspoken on that thread, as you were, and we got hammered.

SO: Just Wondering: Is it possable we have a DNA MATCH:... "Canoe".."BenzGuy"..and ..........."Castleview"..?? Same person.???? We can only wonder the Motive...

Could you elaborate how you made these connections? It seems far fetched.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Your comment about the AC is completely ridiculous considering the heat wave we have had for the past couple weeks. No restaurant that is full of people, hot food, ovens cooking non stop would have been any better.

Dan
Good point. A close friend owns a popular restaurant in downtown Dover and is experiencing the same thing. It is very hard and quite costly to keep a restaurant at a temp that one would call cool on a 98 degree day. He talks often with the other major players in the restaurant industry in dover and they all go through the same thing, and have closed on what would normally be busy nights because of this.

As far as the Lyons Den is concerned I can't comment as I have only been once and it was so long ago I can't recall if it was the Lyons Den or the restaurant before it. I have hit the bar once or twice and the beer was cold!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
Lakesrider

And another thing about AC. If you ever think you are hot out in the dinning room, just remember the guys and gals working the kitchen. Cooking your meal. I don't think people give those folks enough credit. It was probably 50 degrees hotter in the back than it was out in the sitting area.(unless you were outside last week) So kudos to those folks doing the cooking, pots and pans, etc.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
Phantom

What is EVERYONE so upset about ??

I say GREAT ! You didn't like it .... one less person I have to beat to get reservation ....

Lauren ... Your STILL the best around

See you next week -- table #11 please !!

Slickcraft (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
What is EVERYONE so upset about ??

I say GREAT ! You didn't like it .... one less person I have to beat to get reservation ....

Lauren ... Your STILL the best around

See you next week -- table #11 please !!

Will they be expecting you?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
Pineedles

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Phantom

Nice Gourmand (note I will not call you Phantom )

Actually took me a second to get it, then laughed my head off !

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
gillygirl

Default Awesome, as usual

Went tonight and had a wonderful time. Lauren was as wonderful as always. She's a little concerned about how she greets the guests now! But she was attentive and informative, and turned my husband onto fried scallops. When we realized the veggie side had onions (shallots, specifically), to which my husband is allergic, she brought out a side of coleslaw and left his veggies for me to eat. We were so pleased with our experience that we reserved a table for Friday night. They are the class act on the lake, and the only place that has ever come close is the old Love's Quay in Wolfeboro.
Slickcraft (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
They are the class act on the lake
Pretty bold statement.

Mise en Place isn't too shabby, either.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Pretty bold statement.

Mise en Place isn't too shabby, either.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #32
Diver Vince

Great dinner last evening..Nicole was our waitress and she was most attentive. My wife asked for the pasta "al dente" and was quite surprised when they were able to satisfy. Me? The duck was wonderful, moist and tasty! And for those who really don't know; PEI mussels come from Prince Edward Island.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote