Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Jimmbrooks

Default Help me prepare a menu

Well like the title says, I need help.

As I have said in a prior post, I will be bringing the people closest to me on a trip to Lake Winnipesaukee at the end of August. It will be My family (wife and daughter) and two other couples. My friend and I are really good chefs (being modest) and in order to celebrate the occasion my friend and I would like to prepare a menu, breakfast lunch and dinner to serve on most of the days we will be vacationing. It doesn't have to be local fare, but it does have to be inspired by you, the locals who live and love the lake year in and out.

Think:
Seafood, grilled items, salads, all the fixings, and mixed drinks. I can elaborate on what you post or make your grandmothers recipe and try that. I would like to get a bunch of options from you all, even if you only suggest something as a side and not a main course. My friend and I will compile a menu from the choices and share it here.

Think of this as a chance to share with everyone something that you just have to have, or something that reminds you of your time at the lake. I will be ever so grateful to have those closest to me share in something so close to you.
Jimmbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Dave R

Bay scallops wrapped in 1/3 slice of bacon each, marinated and broiled in maple syrup. Very tedious to prepare, but each one is bite size and tastes delightful.

We make "tinfoil turtles" on our boat grill. They are a mix of sliced summer squash, zucchini, onions, and minced garlic and olive oil, OR diced potatoes, sliced onions, butter, and a heavy dose of spices; wrapped loosely in a double layer of tinfoil that's sealed by tightly crimping the edges closed. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium to low heat, flip them every 10 minutes or so.

I like to make salads that are loaded with a huge variety of veggies and fruit. Today, for instance, I made one with spring mix, romaine, radish, red pepper, snow peas, craisins, strawberries, blueberries, red cabbage, kidney beans, grape tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflour and orange. Everything is diced very small such that the salad is very dense and there are many different flavors in each bite. I eat it with a spoon.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Pineedles

For Breakfast I would start with fresh caught smallmouth floured, buttermilk dipped, crushed cornflakes, and fryed. Nothing like bass in the morning to start the day right.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Charlie T

Default For Meat Eaters

If you like to barbecue you can't go wrong with the Marinated Beef or Chicken from the Wineing Butcher shops in Gilford and Meredith! They use a vacuum process to breakdown the meat fibers and suck the marinade into the meat, they sell the tastiest and most tender sirloin tips you’ve ever had. It’s premium meat so it’s a little pricey but well worth every cent. I highly recommend the "Steakhouse tips" and the "Tomato and Basil" Chicken.
Enjoy!
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Bernie Girl

Blueberries are plentiful that time of the year. Blueberry pancakes with "real" maple syrup for breakfast - the best! Blueberry coffee cake with a cinnamon crumb topping is also a favorite of my family.
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Jimmbrooks

this is what im talking about!! thanks so far, and if im lucky enough that either one of us can catch a fish, I might try that

Anyone else?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Jimmbrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Girl View Post
Blueberries are plentiful that time of the year. Blueberry pancakes with "real" maple syrup for breakfast - the best! Blueberry coffee cake with a cinnamon crumb topping is also a favorite of my family.
Adding to menu, all three of the wives love blueberries
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Jimmbrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Bay scallops wrapped in 1/3 slice of bacon each, marinated and broiled in maple syrup. Very tedious to prepare, but each one is bite size and tastes delightful.

We make "tinfoil turtles" on our boat grill. They are a mix of sliced summer squash, zucchini, onions, and minced garlic and olive oil, OR diced potatoes, sliced onions, butter, and a heavy dose of spices; wrapped loosely in a double layer of tinfoil that's sealed by tightly crimping the edges closed. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium to low heat, flip them every 10 minutes or so.

I like to make salads that are loaded with a huge variety of veggies and fruit. Today, for instance, I made one with spring mix, romaine, radish, red pepper, snow peas, craisins, strawberries, blueberries, red cabbage, kidney beans, grape tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflour and orange. Everything is diced very small such that the salad is very dense and there are many different flavors in each bite. I eat it with a spoon.
Not tedious when made with love for the enjoyment of others, will add this to menu
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
JanN

Default Winni Recipes

A few years ago because of hearing about this on the Forum, I bought a book, "Hungry for Summer" which is a collection of recipes from people who reside or vacation on the islands in Lake Winnipesaukee. I found it on Amazon--thought you might be interested because of your posting. As a disclaimer, I have no connection to this book other than buying it because I love Winnipesaukee and have vacationed here all my life!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JanN For This Useful Post:
Jimmbrooks (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Jimmbrooks

That book sounds like a great idea I may have to check it out, what I was going for was the same thing updated with my fellow forum members as a kind of up to date version of the book. If I make what you guys tell me here, I feel more connected to it instead of a book, (although it may be same people) lol
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
riverat

Default Yummy

I usually do this on the BBQ instead of oven.

Bacon Wrapped, Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts: LOW CARB!

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 tablespoon green onion, Chopped
2 pieces bacon, Partially Cooked

Directions:

Pound out Chicken breast so it is about 1/4" thick.

Mix together cream cheese and green onions and spread cheese mixture over 1 side of chicken breast.

Roll CHicken breast up to conceal cream cheese.

Wrap partially cooked bacon around chicken breast and secure with toothpick.

Place on baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes at 375.

Broil for about 5 minute to crisp bacon.
Jimmbrooks (06-30-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Breakwater

Default Wild Blueberries!

Don't fall for any cultivated blueberries...these are often found in the markets and at some farm stands. For the real experience...take some time and pick them along the shoreline or find a farm stand that sells wild low-bush berries. They will be smaller in size but much sweeter.

A fresh pie topped with a high butter fat French Vanilla ice cream from Kellerhaus or Jordan's is a family favorite.

A good feed of BBQ ribs and fresh NH sweet corn with assorted salads is great picnic table fare. Save it for a warm night, afterwards, everyone can jump in the lake and wash the BBQ sauce and melted butter from their chins. It saves on the napkins!!
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breakwater For This Useful Post:
Jimmbrooks (06-30-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Chaselady

Shish-kebabs...chicken, beef, big shrimp, marinated and grilled with whatever local vegetables available. Serve over a wild rice mix. Cooks easy and fast.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Jimmbrooks (06-30-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
goldengirl

*How about a Mexican night? Make your own Taco's with fish, beef or chicken add a nice Spinach salad with a variety of veges and fruits topped with feta cheese and raspberry vinegar. And of course some Margerita's!

*One of my favorite breakfasts that my brother got me hooked on when he made a brunch - Sautee mushrooms, broccoli, spinach or any variety of veges that you like then top it with an egg or two. I usually flip it and add some feta cheese but it gets crunchy and is so yummy and low in calorie. I often eat it for lunch but it's nice to serve for breakfast when you have company.

*Also make some french toast with the thick cinnamon bread and then slice it into sticks so they can be dipped in maple syrup.

*Cut up some sweet potatoes and arrange them in a baking dish cover with purple onion and seasonings - bake at 400 for about 30 minutes until they are tender then add feta cheese and dried cranberries and cook another 5-10 minutes. Yummmy!
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldengirl For This Useful Post:
Jimmbrooks (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Little Bear

Default Watermelon, Tomato, Cuke Salad

Sounds weird, but on a hot summer day this salad really hits the spot.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Watermelon Tomato Cuke Salad.pdf (25.0 KB, 244 views)
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Jimmbrooks (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Jimmbrooks

Thank you everyone oh so much this is amazing and tons of great food ideas.

I will most definitely try and get fresh low bush local blueberries!!

You guys have been great keep them coming!!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Begonezvous

Default Grilled corn on the cob

Get yourself some fresh local corn on the cob and cook it on the grill for 35 minutes. Leave the husks on while grilling; the corn will steam cook inside the husks and leave all of the delicious local flavor. I periodically spritz the corn with a water spray bottle to prevent the husks from drying out.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
Sculpin

In late August, the local farm stand will have perfect Corn, Tomatos, Green Beans, Zuke, and Summer Squash.

New England caught Lobster, Haddock, and Cod are usually at there lowest prices this time of the year.

We grill eveything when at the lake!

Also, Burgers and Dogs is a lunch staple on a Saturday afteroon at our place!

Good Luck and Enjoy your Vacation!
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Corn,corn,corn.Native corn on the cob is the best in August.I actually micro mine as its much faster.In a covered casserole place a 1/2 inch of water along with (in my case) 4 ears or whatever count fits in yours.Micro for 5-8 minutes depending on ear count.Great steaming effect in the dish.For butter I like to melt a stick along with some fresh minced garlic and pepper.Spread over corn with brush or just dip it and spin.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Jimmbrooks

Fantastic!

Anyone know of any local wines or micro brews to get a taste of New Hampshire?

Ok, so a take-away or two....

CORN! And any other fresh fruits and veggies with be in their best in August.

Score some local caught seafood and go to the local meet market to get my ribs, fillet, and bacon.

Grab some high quality chicken either from market or grocer
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbrooks View Post
Fantastic!

Ok, so a take-away or two....

CORN! And any other fresh fruits and veggies with be in their best in August.

Score some local caught seafood and go to the local meet market to get my ribs, fillet, and bacon.

Grab some high quality chicken either from market or grocer
Local winery in Gilford: http://stonegatevineyard.com/ Excellent product, excellent owners!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Jimmbrooks

Kind of sad, I visited their website and it says this will be their final season. I hope them the best in their future endeavors and will definitely be bringing the group to their vineyard.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Little Bear

Quote:
Kind of sad, I visited their website and it says this will be their final season. I hope them the best in their future endeavors and will definitely be bringing the group to their vineyard.
You won't be disappointed. Pete and Jane are very nice people. You'll be quite impressed with the way the decorated the tasting room. From what I understand, they'll continue to grow the grapes and sell them to other wine makers around the country.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonezvous View Post
Get yourself some fresh local corn on the cob and cook it on the grill for 35 minutes. Leave the husks on while grilling; the corn will steam cook inside the husks and leave all of the delicious local flavor. I periodically spritz the corn with a water spray bottle to prevent the husks from drying out.
I do corn this way too, but I soak in plain water for an hour first.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Fantastic!

Although not much of a beer drinker, I have 2 good friends that own breweries in NH. My once week stop in Manchester is at Millys Tavern in Manchester. Many of their own home brews on tap. North of the lake would be a good ski buddy and a wonderfull micro brewer Scott Rice of the Woodstock Station and brewery. This place is great for a road trip to the beautifull North Woodstock/Franconia Notch area. You must go there!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Jimmbrooks

That is what I was looking for, we were going to go north to North Conway and mount Washington so we can add that into that trip, so the pace is called Woodstock station?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
Way Out There 2

http://www.woodstockinnnh.com/

Buy yourself a mug, that way you'll keep the memories
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
That is what I was looking for, we were going to go north to North Conway and mount Washington so we can add that into that trip, so the pace is called Woodstock station?
If your going to North Conway then you want to make that trip a loop.Take Rt302 back if you want the real scenic route through Franconia Notch.If you want a shorter route than go via the Kangamagus Highway(also very scenic).It will bring you right into Lincoln.Continue another 1/4 mile past I-93 and you have arrived in North Woodstock.
Par Four (07-11-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Thank you everyone oh so much this is amazing and tons of great food ideas.

I will most definitely try and get fresh low bush local blueberries!!

You guys have been great keep them coming!!
May be pushing towards the end of the season, but you could try to be "somewhat" adventurous and head out for the day and climb Mt Major, a very easy about 45 minute climb, from the top killer views of the entire lake sprawl out in front of you. Oh and bring some containers because there are a ton of wild blueberries for the picking there. Lots of work, but MMM can't beat free and doesn't get much more organic. Also some great areas to pick up on Gunstock too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
Jimmbrooks

You guys have been great! I am going to actually make a menu in color and give it to the women who have no idea about the trip. And as I prepare the foods and serve them I will take photos and share
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #31
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
I usually do this on the BBQ instead of oven.

Bacon Wrapped, Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts: LOW CARB!

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 tablespoon green onion, Chopped
2 pieces bacon, Partially Cooked

Directions:

Pound out Chicken breast so it is about 1/4" thick.

Mix together cream cheese and green onions and spread cheese mixture over 1 side of chicken breast.

Roll CHicken breast up to conceal cream cheese.

Wrap partially cooked bacon around chicken breast and secure with toothpick.

Place on baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes at 375.

Broil for about 5 minute to crisp bacon.
I made something very similar last nite for the first time. Southwestern chicken: pounded breasts, cream cheese, fresh cilantro and salsa, rolled up like a jelly roll. Taco seasoning and sprinkle of mex cheese on top. Fabulous.

No bacon though.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
spider22

Steak rubbed with 3 parts pepper, 3 parts salt, and 1/2 part garlic powder with grilled potatoes and zucchini. Simple but always delicious.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
wishiwasthere

Default Scallops Rissotto

I had this dish at Burton's Grill. I have to eat gluten free and this is amazing! Sea scallops pan seared with a moderate blend of cajun style
seasonings, served over a creamy parmesan risotto with fresh shrimp, corn,
snap peas and a delicate lemon butter sauce.
It's a little work but well worth it!
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #34
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Check Out This Thread by NoBozo:

Food- Recipes
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
If your going to North Conway then you want to make that trip a loop.Take Rt302 back if you want the real scenic route through Franconia Notch.If you want a shorter route than go via the Kangamagus Highway(also very scenic).It will bring you right into Lincoln.Continue another 1/4 mile past I-93 and you have arrived in North Woodstock.
If you're a "bit" more adventurous, take two cars, spot one at Lincoln Woods on the Kancamagus Hwy, drive up around to Zealand Falls Campground area off Route 3, and "do the Bonds." This is a 20-mile traverse of the Pemigewassett Wilderness, covering Mt Zealand, West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff, all on the NH 4000 foot list. You'll see sights you can't see from any roadway at 50+ mph. It'll take you about 12 hours. Oh, wear good footwear, pack a lunch, and figure on about a gallon of water per person. Wonderful, memorable day it'll be. Beats just looking at it from far away any day.

Later, a soak in the lake, corn on the cob, and blueberry pie will be the absolute best it can be.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote