Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Laconia announces Bike Week revenue

Revenue for the event is raised primarily through vending licenses.
LACONIA, N.H. -

City officials in Laconia, N.H., estimate the annual Motorcycle Week brought in close to $50,000 in revenues.

The city places the proceeds into a fund to help pay for providing police, fire, and public works services for the following year's event.

Earlier this year, the City Council used money from the Bike Week fund to purchase two portable defibrillators and to make sewer-water improvements on the Lakeside Avenue boardwalk.

In adopting the 2012-2013 municipal budget last month, the council also agreed to use Bike Week money to buy a police cruiser and a fire-prevention utility vehicle. This would leave a balance of $129,000 in the account.

WMUR

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Lac...#ixzz20zPqumO4
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
AC2717

hmmmmmm
Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
LakeSnake

Default Only half the story

And the cost of providing the police for bike week was????
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Altonbayicefishingfool

The permit fees that I saw in different vendor tents was $550.00 with the exception of the "official rally tent" which only paid $100.00 for some reason...
In turn, that puts approx only 90 vendors in Laconia, I find that hard to believe. They alway cry (Laconia) on how much it costs and how much money they lose....
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
The permit fees that I saw in different vendor tents was $550.00 with the exception of the "official rally tent" which only paid $100.00 for some reason...
In turn, that puts approx only 90 vendors in Laconia, I find that hard to believe. They alway cry (Laconia) on how much it costs and how much money they lose....
I have never been there during bike week. Are you saying there was not that many vendors there or do you think there was more
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I'm sure that $50,000.00 profit is after all Laconia police expenses are paid and based only on vendor fees. The amount of police presence is ridiculous and I am certain the cost is exorbitant. They could make a lot more money simply by cutting back on the unnecessary amount of officers and overtime they consume while on duty.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I'm sure that $50,000.00 profit is after all Laconia police expenses are paid and based only on vendor fees. The amount of police presence is ridiculous and I am certain the cost is exorbitant. They could make a lot more money simply by cutting back on the unnecessary amount of officers and overtime they consume while on duty.
Are you saying that a 1:1 ratio of officers to bikers is some kind of a bad idea?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Woodsy

The $50K profit is the net profit after all city expenses are paid... police, fire, trash etc... the city makes ALOT of $$ in vendor fees and site plans. This has usually covered the cost of the event with a small profit that the city usually spends elsewhere as noted in the article.

The only expense not covered is the cost of the NH State Police... that cost is borne by the State.

IMHO.. the police presence @ Bike Week is oppressive. Although not as bad as in years past. I think the Laconia Police Chief & the city officials should attend a MC rally like Sturgis or Daytona... there is plenty of police presence, yet its not nearly as oppressive.

Woodsy