Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
ghoti

Default Hey, we grew 2 new islands!!!

Did anyone notice that the number of islands on the home page went from 251 to 253? I think the number comes from Bizer. Does anybody know what/where the 'new' islands are? Or did the definition of what constitutes an island change?
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Bizer

While doing our annual survey of the lake in September, Bizer found an additional small island off Meredith Neck. Also, someone else reported a previously unknown island on the northeast side of Timber Island. Both new islands were less than 10 feet across.

Because people kept asking "How many islands", Bizer started to compile a list. It is an unofficial list as your definition of an island may be different than Bizers. This list gives size and location so anyone who finds an island can see if it's already in our list.

Also, anytime that there are changes, the changes are listed at the bottom of our island list.

Bizer's unofficial list of islands
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Lightbulb Lake level

Maybe we should take into consideration the lake level. There are a lot of new islands now that the level is very low. I wonder how many of these small islands exists at 'normal' lake level.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Bizer, can you tell me what the names are of the two islands in Woodman's Cove?
Thanks!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Default All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
Maybe we should take into consideration the lake level. There are a lot of new islands now that the level is very low. I wonder how many of these small islands exists at 'normal' lake level.

I think they'd all be there. By definition it's not an island unless it's above the water @ "high tide". It's volcanic activity I tell ya There will be a whole new chain in another million years or so. You just wait and see
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Bizer

Quote:
Bizer, can you tell me what the names are of the two islands in Woodman's Cove?
(RG)

Bizer's list includes names and former names, if known. Many times it was from a local source. RG: look at the list and use your web browser to scan for "Woodman" and it will point you to the two islands.

If anyone knows the name of an un-named island, Bizer would like to know. However, you need to show some authoratative source. Last year, I received 7 emails over several months from two gentlemen who had names of some of the islands. It turns out, they were teenagers who were naming things after their girlfriend, dog, etc. The eMails were believable as they cited some folklore legend along with the name. Since then, I've become skeptical about names.

Bizer only will accept a name if it comes from an authoratiative source (e.g. public records) or from the owner. Unless named by statute (and some are), the owner has ultimate authority over an islands name.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Sorry Bizer, guess I didn't look close enough.
(unknown)-H25 NW'ern of 2 islands, Woodman’s Cove; 2320m NNW FL#23
I have some friends over that way that has been there for a long time. I will ask them if they know the name of it.
Thanks for putting this excellent list of islands together. Nice web site, by the way.
Another question I have that you may know the answer to is why is the marker black off Treasure Island? Shouldn't it be red? Thanks!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote