Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Chaselady

Default Reservations

Anyone else have a problem with reservations for a certain table at restaurants nearby? We have a friend who wanted to celebrate a very special birthday in the upstairs pub at The Corner House. She was refused.
I am almost certain we have seen reserved signs on the upstairs tables in the past.
It's too bad, as it was her favorite. We will be bringing the business to another excellent place (Lavinias) where a special request was easily accommodated.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Patrick's Pub

For years has been very accommodating for reservations. Just give them a call ahead of time.

Contigiani Catering in Laconia has a large function hall at Pheasant Ridge Country Club in Gilford. Excellent catering for larger groups.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Chaselady

We've been to Patricks. It is very good but too far for the birthday girl to drive.
Especially after celebrating!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Bumble2249

Would you like me to make a call for you to the corner house? I know them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Would you like me to make a call for you to the corner house? I know them well.

Thanks for the offer, but we made other plans. The birthday girl knows them very well, also. She worked there for a long time. It didn't seem to matter.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnigirl

Is it possible that someone else booked it before you or did they say they don't accept reservations anymore?
Winnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Chaselady

They would not let her reserve a table in the pub upstairs. We believe we have seen reserved tables upstairs at the Corner House. Has anyone had this problem? Lavinias let her reserve a pub table.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
camp guy

Default Reservations

Not knowing any more than what I have just read from these posts, I can't understand why a restaurant would refuse a reservation at this time of year. Maybe during the busiest times of the year a restaurant might not want to set aside a table, but, then again, being able to reserve a table is a perk most restaurants accord to their patrons as a way of keeping them happy.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
Thanks for the offer, but we made other plans. The birthday girl knows them very well, also. She worked there for a long time. It didn't seem to matter.
"She worked there for a long time" could be the problem.

Last edited by Rusty; 02-27-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Chaselady

We were treated wonderfully at Lavinias. The food and service were superb and she got a reserved table. Kudos to Lavinias!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
WakeboardMom

I think it's great that you posted that you were treated well at Lavinia's.

Was it a large party? I'm curious as to why a reservation would be needed on a weeknight in February...maybe because of school vacation?

It seems odd that Corner House wouldn't take a reservation...even if they don't usually reserve tables in the pub, what difference would it make on a Wednesday night? Do they have a singer or something in the pub on Wednesday evenings so that they are full on that night?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
I think it's great that you posted that you were treated well at Lavinia's.

Was it a large party? I'm curious as to why a reservation would be needed on a weeknight in February...maybe because of school vacation?

It seems odd that Corner House wouldn't take a reservation...even if they don't usually reserve tables in the pub, what difference would it make on a Wednesday night? Do they have a singer or something in the pub on Wednesday evenings so that they are full on that night?
Good question.
And we were only a party of 4.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Corner House

Default reservations in the pub

I was alerted to a message thread regarding a reservation request for the Corner House Pub. I am the owner of the Corner House, Don Brown, and I would like to clarify some points of discussion. First, let me say that we do our very best to accommodate any special requests by all prospective customers -be it food related, specific table requests, or other special requests. The most important attribute a restaurant can have is consistency - both in the quality of food, its service, and its policies. We treat every customer as fairly as we can - regardless of whether they are a first time customer, regular patron, friend, family, or ex-employee.

Our policy is that we take reservations for tables in our dining rooms, but not in our pub rooms. We are consistent in that policy, and most always customers understand and appreciate that. The reservation request that is being discussed was for a specific table in the pub during the middle of the evening. Trying to be accommodating, we suggested that if they could arrive within the first hour that we were open we would try our best to hold the table for them. We could not promise the requested pub table any longer than that. Undoubtedly there would have been other tables available in the pub at the discussed time, but perhaps not the specific one being requested. Of course we have some great tables in our dining rooms (some in front of fireplaces) that we are more than happy to reserve, but that was never requested.

To put this in a different perspective, I wonder how someone would feel if they arrived early in our pub, knowing it is a non-reservation space, in hopes of securing their favourite table or corner spot, only to find a "reserved" sign placed on that empty table? I suspect they would be quite disappointed, not only in the unavailability of the table, but for the inconsistency in our policy.
Ultimately, we can't randomly apply our policies when it is convenient, and then ignore them whenever we choose, or are asked to.

I truly regret that a well-intended desire to celebrate a special occasion at our restaurant needlessly turned into a negative. We don't mind you asking us to break our policies, but please don't be upset when we politely decline.
Corner House is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Corner House For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (02-28-2014), BroadHopper (03-24-2014), Bumble2249 (02-28-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (03-01-2014), Happy Gourmand (03-01-2014), Overlake97 (02-28-2014), Reilly (03-01-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (03-01-2014), upthesaukee (02-28-2014), WakeboardMom (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Bumble2249

Makes sense Don!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Rusty

Why do I keep thinking that there is more to this story then we are being led to believe.

The person who tried to make the reservation "thinks" that the pub has had reserved tables upstairs. The birthday girl worked there for years.

Then the owner of the restaurant comes on here and says the he wouldn't violate his policy even if the Queen of England asked him to.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Pineedles

Thank you Don for giving your side of the story to all of us rabble. You explained your policy clearly and politely. Don't get pulled in to discussions that could quickly degenerate. My first experience at the Corner House, not even sure it was named that then, was my grand-parents' 50th wedding anniversary and we all enjoyed the experience. I don't know whether you were the owner then (1972), but I have enjoyed the Corner House many times since then. Keep up the good work.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote