Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Irish Choppers

Default What's your favorite town on the Lake?

When I first saw her, I wasn't sure what to think. She was definitely cute but I was told she's not into people from Massachsetts. So we started out slowly, baby steps for sure. Ice cream at the town docks, a few things from Hannafords. Then one Sunday a special visit to Moulton Farms left me thinking very seriously about her. A stroll through the village with drinks at Lago and the inevitable dinner at Church's Landing looking out at the beautiful bay ended our evening. Later that night, candlelight on the balcony, the full moon glistening off the water and a nice bottle of wine brought me to the realization. I'm in love with Meredith... Sigh...
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (04-22-2013), trfour (04-25-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Although I "married" Meredith 33 years ago, for the 1st 23 years, my 1st love, and still my "mistress".
Boat Cove, Alton Bay.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
Mr Cooke's Crew (04-26-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
When I first saw her, I wasn't sure what to think. She was definitely cute but I was told she's not into people from Massachsetts. So we started out slowly, baby steps for sure. Ice cream at the town docks, a few things from Hannafords. Then one Sunday a special visit to Moulton Farms left me thinking very seriously about her. A stroll through the village with drinks at Lago and the inevitable dinner at Church's Landing looking out at the beautiful bay ended our evening. Later that night, candlelight on the balcony, the full moon glistening off the water and a nice bottle of wine brought me to the realization. I'm in love with Meredith... Sigh...
I think you had way to much of that wine.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
LadyJane

Hi Irish, I share your love of Meredith. I have stayed there so many times that I feel right at home as soon as I arrive. I love being able to walk by the lake and the docks, go to Innisfree Book Store, Adornments and other shops, the Waterfall Cafe or George's Diner for breakfast, and later, Lago , Lakehouse Grille or other good restaurants that are close by. The view of the harbor is spectacular. It's wicked crowded in the summer, but still great. I was there a few weeks ago and visit throughout the year, in every season. I also love Center Harbor and years ago we used to stay in Melvin Village, which is much more quiet, but lovely. Each town has it's own personality. It's all good !!
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyJane For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Just slightly creepy.
AC2717 (04-23-2013), BroadHopper (04-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Piston

I don't know if I have a "favorite", but I do really like Meredith as well. My wife and I stay at the Inn at Mill Falls once in a while, and also stayed there for a few days when we got married.

I like Moultonborough simply because of the Castle in the Clouds, which is where we were married, as well as all the hiking trails.

I like Alton because that is where I spent a good portion of my childhood/teenage life growing up, and now own land there as well, however, it still could use some updating.

As far as boating/things to do, my first choice would be Meredith-on a week day.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Tagdot

"I was told she's not into people from Massachsetts."

In 1748, because so many residents where from Salem Massachusetts it was called New Salem. It was later renamed Meredith after Sir William Meredith a British politician.
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tagdot For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
winnisummergal

Default Don't see myself changing

Wolfeboro has had my heart for 43 years and I don't really see that changing.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnisummergal For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnisummergal View Post
Wolfeboro has had my heart for 43 years and I don't really see that changing.
I must agree. Wolfeboro has barely changed in the 40-years I have been visiting. In my opinion, the town planners have done a fantastic job of maintaining the charm of this quaint New England village. Meredith is a nice place to visit for dinner but too many parts of the west side of Winnipesaukee are over run by development and chocked with traffic for my taste. Thus, it's the east side of the great lake for me!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-23-2013), KPW (04-24-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
fpartri497

definatly wolfboro Is my fav. town

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
JasonG

To relax the Winni way? Meredith hands down. If center harbor had a few more things to do, it would be up there too.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Wolfeboro............I love that town. I have a lifetime of wonderful memories there going back over the last 50 years and they continue. It is a very special place to me.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
chasedawg

Default Favorite town

Wolfeboro by far is my favorite town. Many great resturants, Museums and Great Waters performances. I met a retired couple from Europe in Wolfeboro last year that travel the world. Every year they come back to Wolfeboro. They say it is their favorite travel location. That to me says it all.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I think what would be interesting is to know if anybody's favorite town is DIFFERENT than the one they live and or play in? In other words, if you live in Meredith, does anyone like Wolfeboro better? I think we usually live where we think is the nicest, if we can.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think what would be interesting is to know if anybody's favorite town is DIFFERENT than the one they live and or play in? In other words, if you live in Meredith, does anyone like Wolfeboro better? I think we usually live where we think is the nicest, if we can.
We live in Moultonborough, and our spot is very convenient for lake travel. We don't have lots of boat traffic directly in front of us, and the views aren't bad. And the taxes here are a less than in some of the other towns that have more to offer in the way of entertainment outside of one's home.

We don't really play in Moultonborough though. For that we travel to Meredith or Wolfeborough. We love both those places about equally.

When a fried dough fix is calling or some skee ball needs to be played, or a night out partying is needed, you can't beat the Weirs! Not hearin' too much love here for that area!

There's something to be said for each town. The gentleman who started the thread makes good points about in-town Meredith, but I'm guessing there are many of us who couldn't afford to live there...especially on the water. It's good to have options. ; )
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Shortstop

Each town has such a different character, that my favorite usually depends on who our guests are or our mood. Teenage guests mean Weirs, some of my more senior friends mean Wolfboro, often times its picnic tables at Town Docks - but if my father-in-law is up...we stay at the marina and I wait for a chance to nudge him in. I guess if we stick with the original 'girlfriend' theme, that makes me a floozy!
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shortstop For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Janet

I agree with TIS. I think one's favorite town also depends on what town they live/vacation in and their history with their favorite town. For many, many years my family vacationed in Meredith so that would have been my favorite town because of the memories created in Meredith. However now that we've vacationed for the past 4-5 years in Center Harbor/Moultonboro those towns are now added to my favorites.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Kings Bluff

Wolfeboro has been my favorite for 59 years. I cannot go to town without going to Blacks to get the paper, breakfast at the Diner, or a stroll on the docks. We plan our vacations around the 4th of July fireworks and the Huggins Fair.
Kings Bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kings Bluff For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Meredith, Wolfeboro gets a close second.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
cillovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Although I "married" Meredith 33 years ago, for the 1st 23 years, my 1st love, and still my "mistress".
Boat Cove, Alton Bay.
I rented in Meredith our first year and have to say I didn't love it, maybe because I am from Mass. Bad service at a pizza place, soured me. I should say no service, I was just ignored as I stood there waiting. I did go to another place and got great service, so not all bad.

Our 2nd and 3rd and now our 4th year of renting is Alton Bay, Boat Cove! I absolutely love it there. Wish I could buy the place I rent but I know I can't afford it Can't afford anything on the lake really at this moment in time, but MegaMillions may come thru at some point.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
snowflake

Default Wolfeboro

My favorite town is Wolfeboro. My family began vacationing at Allen A in its hay day. A couple of cousins honeymooned there. My family started going to Edward's Vacation Spot as it was called in the early 50s. It was heaven on earth. My sister and I make an annual "pilgrimage" to Wolfeboro every fall and stay at the Allen A. The town hasn't changed much. We still love to shop at Blacks.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snowflake For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
WakeboardMom

After reading the responses to the original post, I find it interesting that many of the posts are based on the perspectives of folks who come for vacation. There seem to be more of those responses than from folks who live in the lakes region.

Lol...to go back to original analogy...Meredith is a nice place to take your date out for dinner, but it's a bit more cost effective to cook for her in your own kitchen in Moultonborough!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

My favorite town on the lake is Welch Island! You can get the best home cooked meal, cheapest drinks at the best bar in the lakes region and greatest neighbors anywhere on the lake and the views are dam good too!!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
CateP (04-25-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Ride & Dive

My favorite town is whichever one we decide to tie up at and have a nice meal, go for a walk and enjoy the scenery. Every day it is a different choice and every choice is a new adventure.
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #25
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
After reading the responses to the original post, I find it interesting that many of the posts are based on the perspectives of folks who come for vacation. There seem to be more of those responses than from folks who live in the lakes region.
That's an interesting perspective, I actually would tend to think that the great majority of responses would be from people who don't live in the area full time.

Quote:
I live in MA, and I think Meredith is my favorite like I said (but only on weekdays). I may like it because in the town I live in now, we don't have a grocery store, a fast food restaurant, or even a hardware store. I like how I can get everything within walking distance when I take the boat there and dock up.

Wolfeboro is also a very nice town with a lot of character IMO.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #26
Diver Vince

Gilford.. Yes indeed it has all the shopping you need, plenty of restaurants nearby and not completely overrun with tourists in the summer like Meredith & Wolfeboro.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Default .....Gilford!

I vote Gilford because the Gilford-Hannaford's has a 25-cent/gallon water vending machine. If you go and drink that Meredith-Lake Winnipesaukee water, you can get a good strong case of diarrhea. The 25-cent water vending machine is inside the Gilford-Hannaford's....the water come from the Laconia water system.....which comes from Paugus Bay in Lake Winnipesaukee.....so go figure.....but hey.....it's great quality and safe-to-drink water....!

So, how come the Meredith-Hannaford's ain't got no 25-cent water vending machine in their Meredith store?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
Sunrise Point

Default Meredith

We like it so much that we moved here when we retired!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
My favorite town on the lake is Welch Island! You can get the best home cooked meal, cheapest drinks at the best bar in the lakes region and greatest neighbors anywhere on the lake and the views are dam good too!!

Dan

Are we allowed to come visit that town???
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post

Lol...to go back to original analogy...Meredith is a nice place to take your date out for dinner, but it's a bit more cost effective to cook for her in your own kitchen in Moultonborough!
I'm with you on this one. You would expect the quiet side of the lake to be the most common. But, like you mentioned most come up from down south.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
Loony Singer

Default a little love for Moultonboro

I'll use the original analogy, too. Meredith and Wolfeboro are great dates...but for a long-term relationship, I'll take Moultonboro. Doesn't have the flashy personality of the other towns, but it's steadfast, quiet, and beautiful. My spouse's family is on its fifth generation in Moultonboro, and I joined them in the early '70s.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
CateP

Default Love Most of It

When I started looking for lake towns to move to and live year-round, I received a LOT of great input from forum members about their towns and preferences. I ended up in Wolfeboro and absolutely love this town, but I like going to other towns around the lake too.

We have a great time driving around the lake and stopping at various towns for various reasons. (mostly food

In my mind the whole area around Lake Winnipesaukee is paradise. (except for maybe Laconia). And I will say this...after taking a vacation in St. John in the Caribbean this winter, I had no problem returning to this beautiful area. It's the first time I can remember when I didn't get the post-vacation blues.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
Bernie Girl

Wolfeboro would be my pick. I spent 15 summers of my life as a camper/counselor at Camp Bernadette on Lake Wentworth for 8 weeks every summer. It was the highlight of my year. Each time I drive by what is now The Front Porch I smile just thinking of Bailey's chocolate chip ice cream.
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie Girl For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
In my mind the whole area around Lake Winnipesaukee is paradise. (except for maybe Laconia). And I will say this...after taking a vacation in St. John in the Caribbean this winter, I had no problem returning to this beautiful area. It's the first time I can remember when I didn't get the post-vacation blues.
We vacation in the BVI and feel the same way! Winnipesaukee is paradise indeed...the name on our cottage is "Livin' the Dream." : )
Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay

I love the Alton and Alton Bay.

As my user name suggests, I like Lake Winnipesaukee and have been coming here since I was a newborn, literally the first summer I was around.

I love being "Upthesaukee" full time now, and I love Alton Bay. I enjoy going to Meredith and Wolfeboro but hate the traffic. Center Harbor is great, but you have to go through Wolfeboro or Meredith to get there, a pain in the summer. Moultonboro and Melvin Village areas are great, and love to boat that way. Gilford is great for shopping, and we eat there a lot.

What I like about Alton Bay is it is still small...I like that...and don't mind going off to do shopping as in Walmart or Kohls, or any of the big box stores.

So when you see the red and white 25' Mariah bowrider going by, you will see "Upthesaukee Too" on the side. Give a wave, and like others say on this forum, I will wave back.
Mr Cooke's Crew (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
winnisummergal

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Girl View Post
Wolfeboro would be my pick. I spent 15 summers of my life as a camper/counselor at Camp Bernadette on Lake Wentworth for 8 weeks every summer. It was the highlight of my year. Each time I drive by what is now The Front Porch I smile just thinking of Bailey's chocolate chip ice cream.
I spent 5 years as a camper and those memories are just one of many reasons I love Wolfeboro.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnisummergal For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (04-27-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
HomeWood

I have to go with Moultonboro. It's where the family's house is. I really like the northern part of the lake.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
Redwing (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #38
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

While I live in Moultonberry and love my town, I think downtown Wolfeboro offers the best vacation area experience.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
Mr Cooke's Crew

Default Favorite Lake Town;

My favorite town by far is Alton Bay (which is the center of the universe). I've been going up there since I was born and my parents used to go when they were young. Getting the Coronado ready as we speak. Every time I go up I have fond memories of Mr. Cooke's Criss Craft barefooting down the bay.
Mr Cooke's Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Cooke's Crew For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (04-26-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
Tank151

Default All Winni Towns are great but,

Gilford has the best views (mountains) by far...

My two cents.
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote